OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
See part 1 here -https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2189-new-gas-mask-part-1-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

Saint crow wakes up the following day to strange sounds and smells...

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-01_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-02_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-03_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-04_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-05_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-06_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-07_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-08_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-09_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-10_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-11_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-12_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-13_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-14_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-15_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-16_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-17_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-18_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-19_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-20_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-21_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-22_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-23_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-24_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-25_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-26_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-27_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-28_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-29_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-31_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-32_orig

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-34_orig

He should have know better.  The Scut were more adept at surviving in the wastes than anyone alive.  Learning what was needed, where to scavenge, and how to build a gas mask was something every child learned.  He should have known that there was no environment he could ever go that Marrow couldn't follow.  

What did bother him was that it seemed to be made from an actual human skull and he just couldn't get Marrow to tell him who's it was, or where it came from.  Every time he asked, she would just laugh, and the the question seemed to get funnier to her every time he asked it.  

Shortly after, the 2 of them set out.

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Gm2-35a_orig

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That. Was. Awesome. Nice to see more of the loft, Rev. Great photos and storytelling going on in all those shots. Remarkable!

He who dies with the most toys wins!

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done and shot. Every time I see your diorama environment, I discover new details that add so much realism and depth to it, and this was no exception. The masks are gory, yet gorgeous, and fit your characters perfectly. I did find it a little funny Crow was so bent on wrapping himself in a blanket when he had blue shorts on. And they didn't seem to bother Marrow one bit...

Ovy

Ovy
Wow badass Level just raised from 11 to 12! Especially love the photo when she wears the mask and does her 'scary' pose on the couch, looks like crazy  jumping around. And that adorable oversized sweater. So much love.

But I was sure Crow would not wear pants and items would position themselves strategically in front of the camera every time to cover up little Saint.

blackpool

blackpool
This was just phenomenal (once again), the loft is absolutely gorgeous in every little detail, this is fascinating! And that bed fits perfectly, I totally forgot to grab one, gotta do it tonight (thanks for the headsup!)

Again congratulations, this made my day! From characters to sets, props, and ambiance, this universe you built is gold, a real masterpiece of post-apocalyptic scifi!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:That. Was. Awesome. Nice to see more of the loft, Rev. Great photos and storytelling going on in all those shots. Remarkable!

Thanks so much Stryker! I was dying to get to shooting this, and was so excited to share.  So happy you dig it man.  Means a ton.

GubernatorFan wrote:Beautifully done and shot. Every time I see your diorama environment, I discover new details that add so much realism and depth to it, and this was no exception. The masks are gory, yet gorgeous, and fit your characters perfectly. I did find it a little funny Crow was so bent on wrapping himself in a blanket when he had blue shorts on. And they didn't seem to bother Marrow one bit...

Thank you Gubernator!!!  I've spent so long just making and accruing every little 1/6 scale bob and bit I can (man, I know you do too) and it just feels good when it all comes together for stuff like this.  It's been so hard waiting for the reveal on that mask, but I wanted to kinda work up to it with a bit of story.  And yeah, Crow definitely was trying for a bit of modesty, for whatever good that did.  But I guess it all worked out for him in the end...

Ovy wrote:Wow badass Level just raised from 11 to 12! Especially love the photo when she wears the mask and does her 'scary' pose on the couch, looks like crazy  jumping around. And that adorable oversized sweater. So much love.

But I was sure Crow would not wear pants and items would position themselves strategically in front of the camera every time to cover up little Saint.

Thank you much Ovy! I was so happy with how that shot came out too! Totally what I was going for, so I love hearing it comes across.

And yeah, Crow's shorts were something I went back and forth on.  Ultimately, I decided going without would either have to be too joke-y, or too dirty, with just junk galore!

blackpool wrote:This was just phenomenal (once again), the loft is absolutely gorgeous in every little detail, this is fascinating! And that bed fits perfectly, I totally forgot to grab one, gotta do it tonight (thanks for the headsup!)

Again congratulations, this made my day! From characters to sets, props, and ambiance, this universe you built is gold, a real masterpiece of post-apocalyptic scifi!

Thanks so much Blackpool!  I love getting to share this world and hearing that just means so much.  

And I love these beds too! I got both the white and the brass.  They needed a little glue, since they didn't want to reliably stay together without, but that's a pretty minor gripe.  Well worth buying.  It doesn't come across in any of these shots, but I actually added a bunch of weathering to this mattress so it wouldn't be so pristine white.  Not quite crack house stained, but also not fresh from the store.  And having 1 of each should open up more options.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Great set if images. A+ on Marrow's gas mask!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Quite the amazing place to stay after the world goes the way of the dodo. 👍 Great figures too.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings 1f60e

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
This is excellent! I always love to see this diorama in all its glory, it's such a perfect setting. And Marrow's gas mask is likewise JUST the thing, so fitting for her!!! 

But of course, my favourite is how the sequence of photos culminates with what is at first a playful, then a rather intimate moment between them.... just gorgeous. I love you

Keen to see what they get up to on their adventures! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Every time I look at this phenomenal set you've created, I realize just how much it enhances the figures.  I've found the same rule applies both to model railroading and miniature wargaming. In model railroading, excellent scenery enhances the pleasure of the experience of watching the trains roll past. In wargaming, excellent scenery always enhances the gaming experience especially when combined with well-painted figures.

MerylAkiba

Definitely awesome! Would her mask have a voice modulator? Why didn't she smack his nalgas when he had his back turn? She was gazing at them ba-donka-donks last time.

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
It's so interesting to see your characters in a more exposed, vulnerable state. Really nice change of pace (and scenery!!!), for some reason it reminds me of the scene in Tim Burton's Batman Returns between Penguin and Catwoman (the loft, I mean - not the characters themselves...well maybe a little :p). Probably that twirly staircase mainly, haha. Now it just needs a fancy birdcage.

I'm also curious as to whether Crow and Marrow are intimate, or is it just flirtatious? Because I know he is also passionate toward the redhead (Kit), but is there something of a love triangle going on?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Great set if images. A+ on Marrow's gas mask!  

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Every time I look at this phenomenal set you've created, I realize just how much it enhances the figures.  I've found the same rule applies both to model railroading and miniature wargaming. In model railroading, excellent scenery enhances the pleasure of the experience of watching the trains roll past. In wargaming, excellent scenery always enhances the gaming experience especially when combined with well-painted figures.

Thank you ThePhotogsBlog!  I couldn't agree more.  There's something about having the right scenery that just really sells the scene and puts you there.  I started out just planning to make figures, and writing up their backstories.  But as I got more into the photography side of things, and more story based photo series, sets started to seem more and more essential.  I'm kinda obsessed with how an environment creates a mood.  For gaming, I think seeing some of the elaborate terrain people build is one of the things that always draws me in, and tempts me towards another expensive hobby. How that the environments make it so immersive is a big part of that draw. Even with my own home, I've spent a lot of effort cultivating an aesthetic, from decor to lighting, that you just want to be in.  And I look at a ton of miniature artists who just create these beautiful miniature spaces full of atmosphere.  I feel like I'm still fumbling along, and there are so many artists that I'm just so awed by.  

Theboo-bomb wrote:Quite the amazing place to stay after the world goes the way of the dodo. 👍 Great figures too.

Thanks Boo-bomb! Yeah, Saint Crow has found himself a nice little spot.  The idea is that he's set himself up in a previously unused industrial section of a settlement called Transmission Hold.  They'd carved out a decent settlement for quite a few years, before getting taken over by a conquering warlord.  When Saint Crow liberated the city, they convinced him to settle there and reluctantly assume leadership, basically enticing him with the town's radio station and huge pre-collapse music collection.  So fairly palatial by wasteland standards, but he is the 1st of the Radio Kings. Wink

skywalkersaga wrote:This is excellent! I always love to see this diorama in all its glory, it's such a perfect setting. And Marrow's gas mask is likewise JUST the thing, so fitting for her!!!

But of course, my favourite is how the sequence of photos culminates with what is at first a playful, then a rather intimate moment between them.... just gorgeous. I love you

Keen to see what they get up to on their adventures! Smile

Thank you so much Skywalker! I am relieved to hear that moment worked.  I really wanted to capture, like you said, both the playfulness of the scene, but still get across something that actually felt kinda... real I guess?  I'm always hoping to try to convey a real bit of storytelling, and always wonder if it works, or if I'm crazy trying to.

And yeah, I wanted something unconventional for her mask, and the idea of her building it out of someone's skull just seemed SO her.  

MerylAkiba wrote:Definitely awesome! Would her mask have a voice modulator? Why didn't she smack his nalgas when he had his back turn? She was gazing at them ba-donka-donks last time.

Lol!  Thanks MerylAkiba! No voice modulator, but seeing her bearing down literally wearing someone's face is probably terrifying enough.  And yeah, definitely a missed opportunity so get a smack of that butt.  But I think things still worked out pretty nicely for them both.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:It's so interesting to see your characters in a more exposed, vulnerable state. Really nice change of pace (and scenery!!!), for some reason it reminds me of the scene in Tim Burton's Batman Returns between Penguin and Catwoman (the loft, I mean - not the characters themselves...well maybe a little :p). Probably that twirly staircase mainly, haha. Now it just needs a fancy birdcage.

I'm also curious as to whether Crow and Marrow are intimate, or is it just flirtatious? Because I know he is also passionate toward the redhead (Kit), but is there something of a love triangle going on?

Thank you AlKelAstra!  Damn, now I have to go re-watch that scene.  It's been SO long!

And that is an awesome question!  The short answer is, it's complicated.  But if you're down for the long answer...

When Saint Crow killed the warlord who had take over Transmission Hold, Kit had been a captive under him for 7 years, forced to maintain weapons, vehicles, and anything else that needed fixing.  She came back with him to Transmission Hold, where she was welcomed, and for the 1st time really felt like she had found her place with this community.  So she definitely loves him, and he definitely cares a lot about her, although whether that ever progresses into anything more defined than that...

Marrow is even more complicated.  After the massacre of her tribe when she was 13 by Citadel soldiers, she pretty much lived as a ghost, observing people she came across, but rarely interacting with them.  So she really doesn't have much experience with people (besides killing them, which she is very good at), processing emotions, or a lot of the other things that come from being socialized.  She's fascinated by Saint Crow and is definitely attracted to him (she understands that part).  But she also has these very intense feelings towards him that she doesn't have the context to really understand, and she's not entirely sure she likes having them.  The fact that he was raised to be a soldier for the Citadels has her convinced that she has to get around to killing him some day (which she tells him, and anyone else, regularly), although she is actually extremely protective of him, and is pretty constantly watching over him.

Saint Crow, on the other hand just unabashedly adores her.  He trusts her completely (and laughs every time she tells him that eventually she'll get to killing him) and thinks she is amazing (something he tells her regularly, which leaves her with all sorts of confusing feelings).

So you could say that at this point in the story, things are a bit ambiguous and undefined.  I actually wrestled with the idea of this moment being a bit of a turning point in their relationship, and with just a few more photos continuing the scene for a few moments longer, but in the end decided to hint at the possibilities and leave it ambiguous as to how things played out.

I'm curious actually what everyone thought of that decision?  Better left to the audience's imagination, or does everyone want to see something more solidly defined?  Also wondered, did it come across that she sorta broke in while he was sleeping, and had been making the mask with all the strange materials spread on the coffee table?

And thanks for indulging me on this long explanation.  You being invested enough in the characters to ask is huge to me.  There is a lot of depth and nuance to the story as it exists in my head, and I know telling it this way is so unconventional, so I'm constantly wondering what comes across, and if it's genuinely engaging.  Questions like this really make me feel like I'm on the right track.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Every time I look at this phenomenal set you've created, I realize just how much it enhances the figures.  I've found the same rule applies both to model railroading and miniature wargaming. In model railroading, excellent scenery enhances the pleasure of the experience of watching the trains roll past. In wargaming, excellent scenery always enhances the gaming experience especially when combined with well-painted figures.

Thank you ThePhotogsBlog!  I couldn't agree more.  There's something about having the right scenery that just really sells the scene and puts you there.  I started out just planning to make figures, and writing up their backstories.  But as I got more into the photography side of things, and more story based photo series, sets started to seem more and more essential.  I'm kinda obsessed with how an environment creates a mood.  For gaming, I think seeing some of the elaborate terrain people build is one of the things that always draws me in, and tempts me towards another expensive hobby.  How that the environments make it so immersive is a big part of that draw. Even with my own home, I've spent a lot of effort cultivating an aesthetic, from decor to lighting, that you just want to be in.  And I look at a ton of miniature artists who just create these beautiful miniature spaces full of atmosphere.  I feel like I'm still fumbling along, and there are so many artists that I'm just so awed by.  

I practice both miniature wargaming and model railroading and I can tell you from experience that in both hobbies, there is a tendency, at least at first, sometimes for always to neglect scenery in favor of trains or figures. I don't know a single model railroader that doesn't have more locomotives than his railroad size would justify, and this includes me. Miniature wargamers tend to be the same way.  It's probably because we love the models and figures so much and with railroading in particular, some of us find it difficult to resist buying a gorgeous locomotive or two, even it belongs to a railroad we aren't modeling; even if it's painted for a railroad that operates on the opposite side of the continent from our little pike....we just have to have it!  

I think we fall into a similar trap in the 1/6th scale. Like with model trains, new figures and head sculpts are produced for a limited period of time and then disappear from the shelves to be replaced by new ones, so we have to get the ones we are attracted to while we can.  I do only kitbashing with TB League bodies and whatever head sculpts are available that I like at the moment. Kitting out these figures to what I think they should look like is challenging, addictive, and expensive. Challenging because I am trying to create my own aesthetic based somewhat on characters I created in DAZ 3D and trying as much as I can not to copy too much the work of others.  My aesthetic for the PinUp Patrol has been part Rat Patrol, part Dark of the Sun, part 60's James Bond, and part contemporary, so it's a bit like the TV series Archer, which has a lot of 60's styles, Boeing 707's, Walther PPK,s but also cell phones and computers.  I can see this happening in a societal collapse sort of situation in which we cling where we can to newer, more fragile techno gadgets, but the more these fail, the more we begin to rely on older, more primitive, but also more rugged tech.  

All this being said, just building four figures (Kamiko, Miyori, Gogo and Heidi) and kitting them out has sucked up all of my time and money and very little time has been spent set creation and I think I should get serious about this insofar as:  

1. Shooting indoors on a pre-built set is always more convenient than shooting outdoors, anywhere

2. Shooting outdoors is about to become impossible for several months

3. I have all the necessary studio equipment to shoot indoors.

And finally it would still be cool as hell to do a crossover shoot with the Radio Kings and PinUp Patrol.  I can just imagine Marrow and Kamiko sensing each other's lucky charms, not quite understanding them, but recognizing that they have something impossible to describe in common.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Thank you ThePhotogsBlog!  I couldn't agree more.  There's something about having the right scenery that just really sells the scene and puts you there.  I started out just planning to make figures, and writing up their backstories.  But as I got more into the photography side of things, and more story based photo series, sets started to seem more and more essential.  I'm kinda obsessed with how an environment creates a mood.  For gaming, I think seeing some of the elaborate terrain people build is one of the things that always draws me in, and tempts me towards another expensive hobby.  How that the environments make it so immersive is a big part of that draw. Even with my own home, I've spent a lot of effort cultivating an aesthetic, from decor to lighting, that you just want to be in.  And I look at a ton of miniature artists who just create these beautiful miniature spaces full of atmosphere.  I feel like I'm still fumbling along, and there are so many artists that I'm just so awed by.  

I practice both miniature wargaming and model railroading and I can tell you from experience that in both hobbies, there is a tendency, at least at first, sometimes for always to neglect scenery in favor of trains or figures. I don't know a single model railroader that doesn't have more locomotives than his railroad size would justify, and this includes me. Miniature wargamers tend to be the same way.  It's probably because we love the models and figures so much and with railroading in particular, some of us find it difficult to resist buying a gorgeous locomotive or two, even it belongs to a railroad we aren't modeling; even if it's painted for a railroad that operates on the opposite side of the continent from our little pike....we just have to have it!  

I think we fall into a similar trap in the 1/6th scale. Like with model trains, new figures and head sculpts are produced for a limited period of time and then disappear from the shelves to be replaced by new ones, so we have to get the ones we are attracted to while we can.  I do only kitbashing with TB League bodies and whatever head sculpts are available that I like at the moment. Kitting out these figures to what I think they should look like is challenging, addictive, and expensive. Challenging because I am trying to create my own aesthetic based somewhat on characters I created in DAZ 3D and trying as much as I can not to copy too much the work of others.  My aesthetic for the PinUp Patrol has been part Rat Patrol, part Dark of the Sun, part 60's James Bond, and part contemporary, so it's a bit like the TV series Archer, which has a lot of 60's styles, Boeing 707's, Walther PPK,s but also cell phones and computers.  I can see this happening in a societal collapse sort of situation in which we cling where we can to newer, more fragile techno gadgets, but the more these fail, the more we begin to rely on older, more primitive, but also more rugged tech.  

All this being said, just building four figures (Kamiko, Miyori, Gogo and Heidi) and kitting them out has sucked up all of my time and money and very little time has been spent set creation and I think I should get serious about this insofar as:  

1. Shooting indoors on a pre-built set is always more convenient than shooting outdoors, anywhere

And finally it would still be cool as hell to do a crossover shoot with the Radio Kings and PinUp Patrol.  I can just imagine Marrow and Kamiko sensing each other's lucky charms, not quite understanding them, but recognizing that they have something impossible to describe in common.

I agree 100%  The limited nature of so many offering can really set the pace for the hobby.  I've definitely spent money on thing I was worried would sell out when I'd be better spending on current projects, or passing on thing I'd seen only to find myself desperately wanting them for a project years later.  I live in fear of certain TBL bodies no longer being available somewhere down the line, and thankfully they seems to be no scarcity for most things I want so far.

And I think building your own aesthetic is really the most fun part of this whole thing.  I love the whole Pin-Up Patrol vibe, that's both retro and modern, but with a lot of it's own unique flavor thrown in as well.  It all hangs together nicely and is really a blast.  

The set building really does feel like a hobby in itself, and it really is hard to balance.  I struggle all the time to find an efficient workflow.  Like the goal is to photograph everything (it's own project) so I try to focus on what I need to get done to get to the next photoshoot, but will get excited for something that I don't intend to shoot for a while, but can't wait to work on.  I should be working on what Crow and Marrow find at the military base this weekend, but instead I seem to be working on building a 1/6 bar.  Sometimes you just go where your muse takes you.  Sometimes the end goal vs what seems the most fun to work on at the moment just don't line up.  

That said, having some sets to shoot inside seems a necessity for the coming winter. How are you feeling about the backdrops you had printed up?  Looking forward to seeing how they photograph.

And finally, totally agree that a crossover would be a blast, although I must admit, I think they play out in very different times.  One of the things I think is really neat with the Radio Kings, is that it's actually fairly long after the collapse of our society (thinking between 50-100 years, although I'm still working the kinks out of that detail) and is so far removed that our society is practically ancient history to them.  There's a disconnect, and for pretty much all the characters this is the only world they've known.  That said, I'd gladly suspend disbelief to see both sets of characters interact.  Marrow wouldn't even be phased by the idea of the gods watching over Kamiko.  She'd just be like "Oh, you too?"  Saint Crow would just want to know about their taste in music, and show up with obscure records and whiskey.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

I agree 100%  The limited nature of so many offering can really set the pace for the hobby.  I've definitely spent money on thing I was worried would sell out when I'd be better spending on current projects, or passing on thing I'd seen only to find myself desperately wanting them for a project years later.  I live in fear of certain TBL bodies no longer being available somewhere down the line, and thankfully they seems to be no scarcity for most things I want so far.

And I think building your own aesthetic is really the most fun part of this whole thing.  I love the whole Pin-Up Patrol vibe, that's both retro and modern, but with a lot of it's own unique flavor thrown in as well.  It all hangs together nicely and is really a blast.  

The set building really does feel like a hobby in itself, and it really is hard to balance.  I struggle all the time to find an efficient workflow.  Like the goal is to photograph everything (it's own project) so I try to focus on what I need to get done to get to the next photoshoot, but will get excited for something that I don't intend to shoot for a while, but can't wait to work on.  I should be working on what Crow and Marrow find at the military base this weekend, but instead I seem to be working on building a 1/6 bar.  Sometimes you just go where your muse takes you.  Sometimes the end goal vs what seems the most fun to work on at the moment just don't line up.  

That said, having some sets to shoot inside seems a necessity for the coming winter. How are you feeling about the backdrops you had printed up?  Looking forward to seeing how they photograph.

And finally, totally agree that a crossover would be a blast, although I must admit, I think they play out in very different times.  One of the things I think is really neat with the Radio Kings, is that it's actually fairly long after the collapse of our society (thinking between 50-100 years, although I'm still working the kinks out of that detail) and is so far removed that our society is practically ancient history to them.  There's a disconnect, and for pretty much all the characters this is the only world they've known.  That said, I'd gladly suspend disbelief to see both sets of characters interact.  Marrow wouldn't even be phased by the idea of the gods watching over Kamiko.  She'd just be like "Oh, you too?"  Saint Crow would just want to know about their taste in music, and show up with obscure records and whiskey.

Kamiko will drink whisky in a pinch, but being a Sean Connery / James Bond fanatic, she prefers vodka martinis with a twist of lemon, shaken, not stirred.  Though it has yet to make an appearance in any photos I've shot, she also keeps a Walther PPK complete with a Brausch suppressor as a backup gun. There is some suspicion she might have worked as an government agent, even as an assassin, as it has no serial numbers at all; not even filed out serial numbers. To boot, she's quite coy and evasive about how and where she acquired these items. No matter how little she's wearing, she always wears the PPK somewhere on her person or in her backpack and sleeps with it under the pillow. When she takes a bath it's always beside the bathtub.

Her musical tastes are eclectic, but whenever she and her friends have had too much to drink, she and her girlfriends will invariably break out into their favorite Elvis songs, which include "Return to Sender," "A Fool Such as I", "Heartbreak Hotel" and "She's Not You."  When they go into battle in their machine-gun and loudspeaker armed jeeps, they invariably play CCR's "Bad Moon Rising," and "Fortunate Son," and when assaulting on foot, they seem to prefer highland tunes such as "The Black Bear" and "Scotland The Brave,"  which get their fighting blood up to a fever pitch and get them in the mood to make a bayonet charge.

I suppose the only way for the PinUp Patrol to encounter the Radio Kings is to do something which accidentally propels them forward in time, or for the Radio Kings to do the opposite; not at all impossible in fiction. I rather like the idea of the former over the latter, where Kamiko, propelled into the future finds that she has become a legendary figure whose reputation far exceeds her actual deeds, which only serve to embarrass her and thrust her into more trouble and mayhem, which are the things she loves anyway.

Kamiko would be a little surprised at meeting and sensing out Marrow, but then she'd probably smile coyly, and say "The kami were bored and needed amusement."  An interesting routine for them to fall into would be to insist on trying to catch the other off-guard and attack her in something reminiscent of the routine between Inspector Clouseau and his valet Kato, but ultimately failing every time either because each has such a perfectly attuned danger awareness or because what's said about them; that they are protected by the gods is true....Not with the intention of doing the other real harm, but just to test one another in a sort of special rivalry.

Ovy

Ovy
Your exchange is a nice and interesting read. A lot of wisdom in there. And funny that you mention Archer as one of your aesthetic inspirations, it's one of those series I am able to watch while working on the figures. Also those boom box jeeps sound nice, I guess the PinUp Patrol uses them for psychological warfare? The Apocalypse is now, anyway.

Speaking of Netflix and loud music: I watched Sound & Fury this week and had to think of you two. It's basically a 40 minute crazy post Apocalypticmusic video featuring the music of Sturgill Simpson. I don't know what genre that is...country synth alternative electro rock? The aesthetics are much more SciFi and over the top than the stuff we make, but very inspiring. Had a lot of fun. Well and you shouldn't do anything else while watching. Here is a trailer.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Your exchange is a nice and interesting read. A lot of wisdom in there. And funny that you mention Archer as one of your aesthetic inspirations, it's one of those series I am able to watch while working on the figures. Also those boom box jeeps sound nice, I guess the PinUp Patrol uses them for psychological warfare? The Apocalypse is now, anyway.

Speaking of Netflix and loud music: I watched Sound & Fury this week and had to think of you two. It's basically a 40 minute crazy post Apocalypticmusic video featuring the music of Sturgill Simpson. I don't know what genre that is...country synth alternative electro rock? The aesthetics are much more SciFi and over the top than the stuff we make, but very inspiring. Had a lot of fun. Well and you shouldn't do anything else while watching. Here is a trailer.

Before the film Apocalypse Now with it's iconic helicopter attack scene came a 1970's film called Kelly's Heroes, with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savallas, and Donald Sutherland. It's set in WWII, and Sutherland plays a sort of 60's hippie tank commander (in 1944) who's tanks are equipped with loudspeakers so they can play music in battle, which he claims "calms the nerves."  I'm convinced this influenced Coppola when making Apocalypse Now.  As to CCR's Bad Moon Rising, it's arguably the best-known apocalyptic rock tune out there, and yes, they would play it both for psychological warfare, and also out of fatalism and the acknowledgement that they are ignoring the song's main warning;

"Don't go 'round tonight
It's bound to take your life
There's a bad moon on the rise."

Or maybe it's a warning to their enemies of what awaits them?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Kamiko will drink whisky in a pinch, but being a Sean Connery / James Bond fanatic, she prefers vodka martinis with a twist of lemon, shaken, not stirred.  Though it has yet to make an appearance in any photos I've shot, she also keeps a Walther PPK complete with a Brausch suppressor as a backup gun. There is some suspicion she might have worked as an government agent, even as an assassin, as it has no serial numbers at all; not even filed out serial numbers. To boot, she's quite coy and evasive about how and where she acquired these items. No matter how little she's wearing, she always wears the PPK somewhere on her person or in her backpack and sleeps with it under the pillow. When she takes a bath it's always beside the bathtub.

Her musical tastes are eclectic, but whenever she and her friends have had too much to drink, she and her girlfriends will invariably break out into their favorite Elvis songs, which include "Return to Sender," "A Fool Such as I", "Heartbreak Hotel" and "She's Not You."  When they go into battle in their machine-gun and loudspeaker armed jeeps, they invariably play CCR's "Bad Moon Rising," and "Fortunate Son," and when assaulting on foot, they seem to prefer highland tunes such as "The Black Bear" and "Scotland The Brave,"  which get their fighting blood up to a fever pitch.  

I suppose the only way for the PinUp Patrol to encounter the Radio Kings is to do something which accidentally propels them forward in time, or for the Radio Kings to do the opposite; not at all impossible in fiction. I rather like the idea of the former over the latter, where Kamiko, propelled into the future finds that she has become a legendary figure whose reputation far exceeds her actual deeds, which only serve to embarrass her and thrust her into more trouble and mayhem, which are the things she loves anyway.

Kamiko would be a little surprised at meeting and sensing out Marrow, but then she'd probably smile coyly, and say "The kami were bored and needed amusement."  An interesting routine for them to fall into would be to insist on trying to catch the other off-guard and attack her in something reminiscent of the routine between Inspector Clouseau and his valet Kato, but ultimately failing every time either because each has such a perfectly attuned danger awareness or because what's said about them; that they are protected by the gods is true....Not with the intention of doing the other real harm, but just to test one another in a sort of special rivalry.

Yeah, really fun take on what a crossover would look like.  And looking forward to when you get around to some PPK photos.  You DEFINITELY should do a jeep with the speakers on it somewhere down the line, although that may just be me being the devil on your shoulder.

Your mention of Highland music reminded me of this great exchange I remember seeing online:

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Y1cik2q7qq831

The whole exchange is wonderful, but I love the reminder that bagpipes are freakin war music, and would be pretty rad to blast out at a post apocalyptic battle.  Maybe I need to start working on some 1/6 bagpipes...

Ovy wrote:Your exchange is a nice and interesting read. A lot of wisdom in there. And funny that you mention Archer as one of your aesthetic inspirations, it's one of those series I am able to watch while working on the figures. Also those boom box jeeps sound nice, I guess the PinUp Patrol uses them for psychological warfare? The Apocalypse is now, anyway.

I've been wanting to watch this!!!  Was just watching a clip last night of his interview on Joe Rogan where he talked about getting this made.  I love good animation and a good concept album, so yeah, I am IN.  I really dig this track that they released as a "single" and I really may have to dive into this guy's catalog.

And here's the interview clip too, which is really cool

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Before the film Apocalypse Now, came a 1970's film called Kelly's Heroes, with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savallas, and Donald Sutherland. It's set in WWII, and Sutherland plays a sort of 60's hippie tank commander (in 1944) who's tanks are equipped with loudspeakers so they can play music in battle, which he claims "calms the nerves."  I'm convinced this influenced Coppola when making Apocalypse Now.  As to CCR's Bad Moon Rising, it's probably the best-known apocalyptic rock tune out there, and yes, they would play it both for psychological warfare, and also out of fatalism and the acknowledgement that they are ignoring the song's main warning;

"Don't go 'round tonight

I hadn't ever seen of Kelly's Heroes, but I can definitely see how that would have been an inspiration for those scenes in Apocalypse Now.  And lets not forget them playing Long Tall Sally in Predator!  Bad Moon Rising really is a perfect track, for both of the reasons you mentioned.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Kamiko will drink whisky in a pinch, but being a Sean Connery / James Bond fanatic, she prefers vodka martinis with a twist of lemon, shaken, not stirred.  Though it has yet to make an appearance in any photos I've shot, she also keeps a Walther PPK complete with a Brausch suppressor as a backup gun. There is some suspicion she might have worked as an government agent, even as an assassin, as it has no serial numbers at all; not even filed out serial numbers. To boot, she's quite coy and evasive about how and where she acquired these items. No matter how little she's wearing, she always wears the PPK somewhere on her person or in her backpack and sleeps with it under the pillow. When she takes a bath it's always beside the bathtub.

Her musical tastes are eclectic, but whenever she and her friends have had too much to drink, she and her girlfriends will invariably break out into their favorite Elvis songs, which include "Return to Sender," "A Fool Such as I", "Heartbreak Hotel" and "She's Not You."  When they go into battle in their machine-gun and loudspeaker armed jeeps, they invariably play CCR's "Bad Moon Rising," and "Fortunate Son," and when assaulting on foot, they seem to prefer highland tunes such as "The Black Bear" and "Scotland The Brave,"  which get their fighting blood up to a fever pitch.  

Yeah, really fun take on what a crossover would look like.  And looking forward to when you get around to some PPK photos.  You DEFINITELY should do a jeep with the speakers on it somewhere down the line, although that may just be me being the devil on your shoulder.

Your mention of Highland music reminded me of this great exchange I remember seeing online:

New Gas Mask Part 2 - From the World of the Radio Kings Y1cik2q7qq831

The whole exchange is wonderful, but I love the reminder that bagpipes are freakin war music, and would be pretty rad to blast out at a post apocalyptic battle.  Maybe I need to start working on some 1/6 bagpipes...

I've been wanting to watch this!!!  Was just watching a clip last night of his interview on Joe Rogan where he talked about getting this made.  I love good animation and a good concept album, so yeah, I am IN.  I really dig this track that they released as a "single" and I really may have to dive into this guy's catalog.

And here's the interview clip too, which is really cool

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Before the film Apocalypse Now, came a 1970's film called Kelly's Heroes, with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savallas, and Donald Sutherland. It's set in WWII, and Sutherland plays a sort of 60's hippie tank commander (in 1944) who's tanks are equipped with loudspeakers so they can play music in battle, which he claims "calms the nerves."  I'm convinced this influenced Coppola when making Apocalypse Now.  As to CCR's Bad Moon Rising, it's probably the best-known apocalyptic rock tune out there, and yes, they would play it both for psychological warfare, and also out of fatalism and the acknowledgement that they are ignoring the song's main warning;

"Don't go 'round tonight

I hadn't ever seen of Kelly's Heroes, but I can definitely see how that would have been an inspiration for those scenes in Apocalypse Now.  And lets not forget them playing Long Tall Sally in Predator!  Bad Moon Rising really is a perfect track, for both of the reasons you mentioned.

Here's a clip from the film where Odball's tanks are attacking a German installation. Just try to tell me that it didn't influence Apocalypse Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC4lVoCFZvk

There's also a hilarious spaghetti western scene later on, as homage to Clint Eastwood's work with Sergio Leone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csv1wXOr5tY

Ovy

Ovy
Haha, yeah I remember the negative waves and the color gun. Also the burning bridges intro song was nice. One of my favourite feel good war movies...well. I started a 1:35 project once with colorful 'peace tanks', one m48 tank driver was based on Donald Sutherland.

And Sound Fury is hilarious, could totally see Marrow in there having fun.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Haha, yeah I remember the negative waves and the color gun. Also the burning bridges intro song was nice. One of my favourite feel good war movies...well. I started a 1:35 project once with colorful 'peace tanks', one m48 tank driver was based on Donald Sutherland.

And Sound Fury is hilarious, could totally see Marrow in there having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqSiLL8U3vo

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Your ability to weave a narrative without using a single word is unparalleled and let’s face it, it’s always a delight to see Crow’s fantastic abode! <3 (like, seriously though, I need all the closeups of literally everything in there, it’s gorgeously grimy, yet cosy and obviously well lived in. It’s a difficult balance to get right and you’ve nailed it! So often post apocalyptic stuff just ends up being rust upon grime upon rust, which might look great, but it’s not really what most people would enjoy living in if they could help it!)

I love the fact that he made a valiant effort to hold his sheet up throughout, until Marrow jumped him, that is! XD The shots of them falling backwards into the sofa are perfectly done - they really look like stills from a film or something, there’s so much movement, and I particularly love the shot when she jumps on his back as it’s such a dynamic pose, which could so easily have looked, well, posed, but it has so much spontaneity about it which is wonderful.

I definitely got the impression there was something between them, but I liked that it was left kind of ambiguous.

Also wondered, did it come across that she sorta broke in while he was sleeping, and had been making the mask with all the strange materials spread on the coffee table?

That was my first impression! The fact he lowered his gun upon seeing her and trudged down to see what she was up to made me think this was a fairly regular occurrence. XD

(Also, I hate to say it but Marrow, you really need a fresh pair of undies, those ones look decidedly...worn. XD)

One of the things I think is really neat with the Radio Kings, is that it's actually fairly long after the collapse of our society (thinking between 50-100 years, although I'm still working the kinks out of that detail) and is so far removed that our society is practically ancient history to them

This is one of my favourite post apocalyptical tropes actually, it lets you keep stuff from our era that you like for aesthetic reasons, and create a whole new society around the remains of everything else! I don’t know if you’ve played it, but Horizon: Zero Dawn did this phenomenally well, albeit with giant robot animals and more Neolithic tribal societies. The game takes place around 1000 years after humanity crumbled, so you get to explore the literal ruins of cities and see folk contemplating how their ancient ancestors lived with the same sense of wonder we have now when thinking of our own long gone civilisations; old wristwatches and broken mugs being traded as valuable talismans to be revered for example.

Also hell yes, bagpipes are awesome! I’m not just saying that because I’m Scottish (lol) but honestly though, there’s just something about the sound that sinks right into your bones and every time I hear it I just want to go marching on a moor somewhere, sword in hand. There was an international piping tournament in Glasgow recently where some of the bands would practice outside the concert hall and it was wonderful to hear, you could practically taste the sound. Obviously my phone did them no justice at all. Sad

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1JhvcNHXhO/?igshid=1m5fe5uas2qkw

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
On the issue of bagpipes and boom boxes, I once did something similar in the army. I was the senior NCO teaching a course in Valcartier Qc. I was training the men to be gunners of the Field Artillery, (my branch) but there was a phase of the training before that in which we were just teaching them the basics of being a soldier and holding a defensive position. A long story short, I conducted a night attack to the sound of bagpipes from a boom box after first throwing a bunch of smoke grenades and artillery simulators (big firecrackers with a built in whistle to simulate an incoming shell) There were twenty or so defenders and only four attackers, but they were so confused by the unexpected they thought they were being attacked by a much larger force.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Regarding scene itself and also the relationship stuff: 

While it wasn't 100% clear that Marrow had broken in, it *was* obvious that St. Crow was certainly not expecting to hear/smell whatever she was doing, and that she'd taken him a bit by surprise. I think I would have understood better that she'd broken in if I'd been aware of their sleeping arrangements to begin with, if that makes sense. But that was not an issue at all with following the story you were telling. I also agree with Lynkhart that the poses you had them in during that 'falling' sequence were SO well done, and makes me realize I REALLY need to practice posing more! Wink 

The relationship dynamics you describe between St. Crow and Kit and Marrow were pretty much what I had guessed based on what little could be gleaned from observing their 'interactions' via your photo-stories. I figured it was all a bit ambiguous... lots of UST, but nothing completely 'resolved' as of yet. ;D 

Your description of Marrow dealing with confusing feelings and emotions reminds me a bit of how I envisage a character like River Tam having to face such things. While she was never in a romantic relationship in the show/movie canon, over the years I've read a TON of fanfiction that pairs River and Jayne together, and some of it is quite fascinating. Especially since she originally started out trying to kill him ['you look better in red'] and he started out trying to turn her in to the Feds. But somehow it works??? The fact that she's a girl who was turned into a dangerous weapon, and he's a man who loves weapons so much he gives them girls' names... he seems like he'd be just the fellow to know how to 'handle' her particular dangerous brand of crazy. :'D

Sorry for the off-topic ramble -- while of course your characters and their relationships are highly unique and specific to your world, Marrow and St. Crow in particular gave me some similar vibes. Either way, I'm very much enjoying their relationship, and greatly appreciated these sort of 'behind the scenes' view of them being so relaxed and comfortable together. Considering the world they live in, such moments where they can let down their guards just a little bit must be precious. :')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum