OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Hey all.  Sorry to have been away so long.  Life has been getting in the way, but back with something hopefully worth the wait.  I've been working on this diorama for a while now, and not only have I finally finished and shot it, but I also want to post along with it the 1st official chapter of "Rise of the Radio Kings."  I'm going to try to keep this going and write the 1st story arc along with a series of accompanying photoshoots.  Buckle up, because this is a pretty long one.  Hoping you all enjoy the ride.

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation001_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation002_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation003_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation004_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation005_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation006_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation007_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation008_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation009_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation010_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation011_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation012_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation013_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation014_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation025_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation026_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation027_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation029_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation028_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation015_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation016_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation017_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation018_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation019_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation020_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation021_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation022_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation023_orig

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Radiostation024_orig

​     The needle hit the wax, and the opening chords of T-Rex’s 20st Century Boy rang out, echoed through the rubble and wreckage that remained of city streets, and blew out into the wastelands. It was the howl of a sonic resurrection, rock and roll archaeology, back from the grave of a world that no longer was.
   St Crow felt around what had once been the radio station’s DJ booth, and found the near-finished bourbon bottle he had been working on when he had finally passed out. He momentarily checked for the cracked coffee mug he had been drinking out of, before remembering he had hurled it out into the night at some point during that Stooges marathon. It had seemed the thing to do at the time, and he was pretty sure he had been channeling Iggy Pop in that moment. But in the harshness of the morning light, he might have just been drunk.
   He uncorked the bottle, and rolled his chair over to the gaping hole in the wall that overlooked the city below. Or what was left of it. He wasn’t ready to stand up yet. The city had created a sort of makeshift barrier around itself, made of half-collapsed buildings, and scavenged construction materials. In the early morning light, he got a sense of the size of the settlement, fairly large, but small enough to defend with a reasonable population. The wall was cleverly constructed, and whoever designed it was smart to make good use of the toppled buildings and crumbling overpass that were already there. He had made his way in here in the dead of night, and he could now see a bit more of the city layout. The radio station looked like it was in a part of the city that had been abandoned some time ago, while the areas that looked more maintained and lived in sat further inside the fortification.
   This place had been a legend for years. The last rock and roll radio station, somehow still broadcasting. A hoard of pre-collapse music, much still on perfectly preserved vinyl, the rest tapes, cds, and a digital library compiled from years of scavenged computers and portable music players. Someone had dedicated a lifetime to creating this archive. It was always a good day when he could pick up the signal, and Crow would often hole up and listen for hours. The DJ simply went by "The Stranger," and his music knowledge was unparalleled. His tastes were eclectic, yet somehow each session flowed seamlessly. Songs written 50 years apart juxtaposed like they had always belonged together, creating sweeping convergences that defied musical genres. Most of what Crow knew about rock and roll, he had learned from The Stranger. And then a few weeks back, the broadcasts had stopped. And St Crow had set out to find out why.
   He wheeled himself back to the console, grabbing an ashtray off the floor with a half-finished cigarette. His last one. He queued up the next song, Joe Strummer's "Techno D-Day," before relighting the cigarette and taking a long drag. Time to figure out what to do next.
   He hadn't expected to find the radio station itself last night, the lights on the tower still glowing, the power still on. There was an overwhelming reverence for this place as he pushed through the front doors, a feeling of holiness, even abandoned. He'd done a quick sweep of the place, satisfied that it was completely empty when he found it. The damage to the outer wall looked fairly recent, but the DJ booth was mostly intact. Tapes, records, and cds were scattered around, and a computer was still on. Someone had painted "I still believe" over the giant window out onto the hallway. He moved the mouse to wake it up, and audibly gasped as he scrolled through the massive digital music library. This was it.
   The controls seemed fairly straight forward. How to switch between audio sources, volume controls, the microphone. Sure, there was probably a lot more to it, but he was pretty sure he could at least make it work. He flipped through the records that had piled up next to the table. He'd seen records before, had even heard a few, but they rarely survived the harsh conditions of the wastelands. But these were pristine, perfectly protected for all this time. He slid one out of its sleeve, so careful in handling this rare relic, and onto the platter. So slowly, he eased the stylus over, gingerly lowering it onto the outer groove. Through the speakers, the first warm pops and hisses teased out, before the vocals exploded in the small room. "Cramp Stomp."  Lux Interior's voice tore through time, Poison Ivy's guitar crashing in right after. And for the first time, Crow felt like he had come home.
   He'd let the record play in full while he searched the room, piling up things he wanted to hear next. And then he'd found the bourbon bottle, mostly full and hidden in the back of a cabinet. Sure, he knew the dangers of even being here. If the station really was broadcasting, this was definitely announcing to the world he was here. Good, he thought. He came for answers, and this should save him the trouble of going looking for them. Let them come to him.
   And now, as the morning sun spilled in, he was reevaluating his plan. No one had come, even as he got drunker and more reckless as night gave way to day. He was starting to worry, tired and a bit hungover, that he'd have to head out again.
   Over the music's din, his ears picked up the sound of the approaching truck’s engine before it abruptly cut out. Finally. They were being cautious, and would make the rest of their approach on foot. Good, he thought, they weren't completely stupid. Dealing with professionals was preferable to some nervous locals. And if this did get ugly, at least this might keep it interesting. He drained the last of the bottle, and tossed it out the hole in the wall, before queuing up the perfect song for this meeting.

For anyone unfamiliar with the songs mentioned:

And if this is your first dive into the world of the Radio Kings, and want to start with a bit of background and read in the order the characters were introduced:

Saint Crow: 1st of the Radio Kings - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t149-saint-crow-1st-of-the-radio-kings-post-apocalyptic-warlord-king-s-currency-wasteland-salvaged-records-turntable-and-speakers-megapost

Marrow: The Deathblessed - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t545-marrow-the-deathblessed-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

Kit and her garage workshop - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1296-kit-and-garage-workshop-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

Wren - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1913-wren-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

And previous photo series, which all take place a little later in the story:

Wasteland Bike Chase
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1808-wasteland-bike-chase-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

New Gasmask Part 1
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2189-new-gas-mask-part-1-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

New Gasmask Part 2
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2229-new-gas-mask-part-2-from-the-world-of-the-radio-kings

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glad to see you back here. And no one does realistic half-ruined and gritty clutter like you do. Great job with the custom work, the photos, and the story.

brassco

brassco
one of my kids asked me, is that a real person? because he has strange hair...

when i told her it is a whole 1/6 setting figure, she couldn't believe it...

one of my benchmark for diorama i will be trying to achieve...

great work!

shazzdan

shazzdan
Grit, grunge, and clutter. Looks good.

Diana

Diana
Holy cow that's INSANELY GOOD!!! Well done! A great pleasure to look at. Very real look and feel.
*amazed*

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Reverend Spooooookyyyyyyy, I missed youuuuu!!

This whole post is just 😍🎶🎧🎵🎸👌👌👏👏👏💕✨

You always know how to make a great comeback. Wink But seriously, you had me gripped straightaway at the start with the T-Rex song!!! These are absolutely gorgeous photos -- the dio itself, the poses, the angles, the composition, the details on the desk and walls, and that great use of a backdrop behind the broken brick wall. Your accompanying text gives the whole thing such an added layer of mystery and suspense. Because of course now we want to see what comes next. 

It's really wonderful to finally catch a glimpse into this backstory. I find the whole 'radio playing songs from a long-lost world' scenario to be hauntingly bittersweet and enchantingly Romantic. It's akin to how some of the stars we see in the night sky are probably now dead or dying, but their light is only just now reaching us. Really gets to me. And I love how it affects St. Crow so profoundly, as well. 

Thanks for the shirtless Crow, btw. He is rather easy on the eyes. ;'D

ETA: Thank you also for including Mark Lanegan Band -- amongst other great things -- on the wall!! Absolutely made my day! :'')

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Oh. My. God. (I was just about to reach out to you to see how works been going). What an impressive return — so many details. Are those the Morezmore armature pieces to make the boom microphone? Great stuff — I was trying to read all the posters, too. Glad to see you back, Rev. (By the way, have you heard anything about the elevator diorama?)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings C8485110

Ovy

Ovy
Yay sir, great having you back!

I imagine ghost Iggy is following him now and helping him out sometimes, like channeling his raw power and choosing a good soundtrack for the inevitable mayhem sequence that is soon to come.

This is just beautifully detailed and executed.

Little critiques: I think you could have  the tried  to place the text passages between the pics, the 'connection' to the pics would be closer.
And about the explosive sunset: It looks very powerful, but something looks off, I don't know. Maybe the contrast would be stronger/ the inside of the room darker? But there is that lamp on the ceiling, too, so I don't really know.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
By the way, Rev, how's FB (initials) coming along...?

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings C8485110

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed it's great to see your back, I was wondering what happened to you.

Amazing looking diorama and photos!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
GubernatorFan wrote:Glad to see you back here. And no one does realistic half-ruined and gritty clutter like you do. Great job with the custom work, the photos, and the story.

Thank you!!!  It's so good to be back.  So glad you're enjoying.

brassco wrote:one of my kids asked me, is that a real person? because he has strange hair...

when i told her it is a whole 1/6 setting figure, she couldn't believe it...

one of my benchmark for diorama i will be trying to achieve...

great work!

Lol!!  That's amazing!  I totally agree, getting an image to come across as real as possible is the thing I'm always chasing too.  So glad it came across.

shazzdan wrote:Grit, grunge, and clutter. Looks good.

Thank you Shazz!

AerynDiana wrote:Holy cow that's INSANELY GOOD!!! Well done! A great pleasure to look at. Very real look and feel.
*amazed*

Thanks so much!  

skywalkersaga wrote:Reverend Spooooookyyyyyyy, I missed youuuuu!!

This whole post is just 😍🎶🎧🎵🎸👌👌👏👏👏💕✨

You always know how to make a great comeback. Wink But seriously, you had me gripped straightaway at the start with the T-Rex song!!! These are absolutely gorgeous photos -- the dio itself, the poses, the angles, the composition, the details on the desk and walls, and that great use of a backdrop behind the broken brick wall. Your accompanying text gives the whole thing such an added layer of mystery and suspense. Because of course now we want to see what comes next. 

It's really wonderful to finally catch a glimpse into this backstory. I find the whole 'radio playing songs from a long-lost world' scenario to be hauntingly bittersweet and enchantingly Romantic. It's akin to how some of the stars we see in the night sky are probably now dead or dying, but their light is only just now reaching us. Really gets to me. And I love how it affects St. Crow so profoundly, as well. 

Thanks for the shirtless Crow, btw. He is rather easy on the eyes. ;'D

ETA: Thank you also for including Mark Lanegan Band -- amongst other great things -- on the wall!! Absolutely made my day! :'')

Thank you so much!!!!  Damn, I missed you too.  Been away too long, and it feels good to be back.  And so happy you're digging the new work.  I was really excited to post this one, and it's the first straight narrative writing I've really posted, so coming from another writer, that means a hell of a lot.

When I was looking for the right opening song, 20th Century Boy just felt like it.  That guitar riff is just so incredible, and I could just imagine it howling through the empty streets.  And so thrilled the music perspective hit you the way it did, and I LOVE that comparison to old dead stars!  It' is PERFECT.  Rock & roll has always been at the center of my world, and I so badly wanted to get across the kinda mythic role it plays in Saint Crow's life, as it really is at the core of the story.  So getting that across and getting it right was so important to me writing this.

And HELL YES shirtless Crow!  I am fully committed to some equal opportunity fan service in the world of the Radio Kings.  Glad to provide.  Very Happy

And yeah, there NEEDED to be some Mark Lanegan represented.  I love that Rhys Cooper poster so much too, and would love to have in 1:1.  All his concert posters are just so killer. but that Lanegan one is a favorite.  I still want to do a 1/6 Blues Funeral record, and when I finally get around to it, I definitely owe you one.  

Stryker2011 wrote:Oh. My. God. (I was just about to reach out to you to see how works been going). What an impressive return — so many details. Are those the Morezmore armature pieces to make the boom microphone? Great stuff — I was trying to read all the posters, too. Glad to see you back, Rev. (By the way, have you heard anything about the elevator diorama?)

Thank you so much man!!! Yeah, I am still alive out here.  Any time I have, I have been grinding away at projects though, and lots of cool stuff in the works.  And I think you're right about the Morezmore armature.  I have a friend who ordered a ton of armature pieces, and let me just raid his bins for what I needed on this, which was a HUGE help.  

So interesting story on the elevator....  I reached out in January to a few of the other sellers who still have it up on ebay, and they say they have in stock, and are shipping now.  So I wrote the seller I bought from (and didn't mention I already ordered) and they said it should be in stock and shipping in February.  So I'm waiting til the end of the month to nudge them again.  Still a little nervous over if I'll actually get it, or if I got swindled, but still holding out hope.  But I figure it's very possible that people have gotten their stock at different times, and with everything coronavirus related in China, I'm willing to believe in likely delays.  Still, fingers crossed that this should actually be coming soon.  

Ovy wrote:Yay sir, great having you back!

I imagine ghost Iggy is following him now and helping him out sometimes, like channeling his raw power and choosing a good soundtrack for the inevitable mayhem sequence that is soon to come.

This is just beautifully detailed and executed.

Little critiques: I think you could have  the tried  to place the text passages between the pics, the 'connection' to the pics would be closer.
And about the explosive sunset: It looks very powerful, but something looks off, I don't know. Maybe the contrast would be stronger/ the inside of the room darker? But there is that lamp on the ceiling, too, so I don't really know.

Good to be back!  And great Stooges reference.  Thanks so much.

Funny, I actually thought a lot about breaking up the text too, and in the end decided against it.  Kinda wanted to see if the writing could kinda flow and work on it's own.  Considering it for the next chapter though, as it's a bit more action driven, and I'm not sure if I want the storytelling focus more on the writing or the photos for that one. Will play around a bit on that one.

The lighting was tricky.  I wanted to have that contrast with the backlighting from outside, but I also really wanted clear detailed shots of everything in the radio station.  I think the morning glow color scheme, as well as the fill from the overhead lights, managed to at least adequately convey all I wanted to with these.  It was actually the same with the depth of field, where for a photo I'd prefer a more shallow depth of field for drama and realism, but I really wanted all the detail still in focus.  If this were just a film, I'd lean more towards visual style, but since i also really want to show the diorama itself, there's a bit of compromise.

And on the subject of connecting the photos and text, although no one's called me out on it, I shot the photo of him looking at the Gaslight Anthem album before I decided on the Cramps record in the story.  I might go back and shoot 1 more photo with that record tonight...

Stryker2011 wrote:By the way, Rev, how's FB (initials) coming along...?

He's finished!!! (And looking really rad if I do say so myself).  There are currently 7 new Radio Kings characters FINISHED, with an 8th I'm finishing this week, that I haven't shot yet (Bring the grand total to 12 with Crow, Marrow, Kit & Wren).  Plus the cyborg I'm still a bit stalled on, and a ways from finished with.  But I've got some really particular plans for how I want to introduce/photograph them, so finishing some big set pieces has kept me from posting.  But I'm so close on a lot of these, so hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more in the coming months.  

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Indeed it's great to see your back, I was wondering what happened to you.

Amazing looking diorama and photos!

So good to be back!!!  And thanks man.  Really glad you enjoyed!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
12!? That’s going to be epic. Can’t wait to see all the new characters.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:Thank you so much!!!!  Damn, I missed you too.  Been away too long, and it feels good to be back.  And so happy you're digging the new work.  I was really excited to post this one, and it's the first straight narrative writing I've really posted, so coming from another writer, that means a hell of a lot.

Aww, of course -- your stuff is always such a treat to view and read! I love you And the way you had the text worked fine for me, probably because my computer is slow and when words are interspersed with text I sometimes miss some of it cause the images take so long to load and show up. Razz While as a lover of illustrated works I can of course appreciate the beauty of intermingled text and images, in this case it was interesting to see if I could understand what was being conveyed just by the photos, and *then* read the story to see how it matched up. Both the photo-story and written words had a cinematic quality to them, so it flowed pretty well I thought. 

ReverendSpooky wrote:When I was looking for the right opening song, 20th Century Boy just felt like it.  That guitar riff is just so incredible, and I could just imagine it howling through the empty streets.  And so thrilled the music perspective hit you the way it did, and I LOVE that comparison to old dead stars!  It' is PERFECT.  Rock & roll has always been at the center of my world, and I so badly wanted to get across the kinda mythic role it plays in Saint Crow's life, as it really is at the core of the story.  So getting that across and getting it right was so important to me writing this.

Well, it fit perfectly, and was a great way to start my morning -- I ended up having it in my head all day, lol! It had been ages since I listened to T.Rex, so it was actually really nice. Thanks for that. ;D

And eee, glad you liked that -- I guess it's got another added layer to it, since the rock gods of old were 'stars' in their way as well. :')  

That mythic quality certainly came across, and his fascination with lost treasures of the past is so relatable to me. In fact, some days I feel rather like a relic of the 20th century myself. Laughing

ReverendSpooky wrote:And HELL YES shirtless Crow!  I am fully committed to some equal opportunity fan service in the world of the Radio Kings.  Glad to provide.  Very Happy 

Haha, I *knew* there was a reason I loved your 'verse! Wink But seriously, it's appreciated, lol! 

ReverendSpooky wrote:And yeah, there NEEDED to be some Mark Lanegan represented.  I love that Rhys Cooper poster so much too, and would love to have in 1:1.  All his concert posters are just so killer. but that Lanegan one is a favorite.  I still want to do a 1/6 Blues Funeral record, and when I finally get around to it, I definitely owe you one.

Ahh, indeed. Mark Lanegan might not be the most well-known musician of his era in terms of mainstream awareness, but damn... he is certainly one of the most prolific. Everything from his bands, to his solo stuff, to his myriad collaborations over the years... it's fascinating. So yeah, he most certainly deserves his place amongst the pantheon of music gods in the Radio Kings world. :')

And my eventual 1/6 mini-me would be OVER THE MOON to have Blues Funeral on 'vinyl', lol. 

Re: Rhys Cooper -- completely agree with you, love that poster, and pretty much all his posters in general! Absolutely stunning work. It'd be awesome to have that particular print in 1:1 for sure, but it's been hard to find. Though this past summer I miraculously scored this one: 

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings 9983fc10
Not Mark Lanegan *Band*, but Mark Lanegan himself....  :hearteyes:

ETA: Meant to add that, like Stryker, I'm beyond excited to see all TWELVE of your Radio Kings characters in action! Congrats on getting so many finished, that must be a wonderful feeling!

Ovy

Ovy
Haha, 12, you nut, that's great to hear!

I really like the way you 'celebrate' each new entry like the reveal of a new Apple product by Steve Jobs. Laughing I think I myself have not found the 'right' way to introduce characters yet, on the one hand I love the way each new character of yours is a finished, fleshed out being , with a  the new thread for each Photostory too. On  the other hand I like to share the progress of construction, world building etc. Although it's much more messy.

Regarding text block and photo block, I just realized how unique that kind of presentation is: It's a fleshed out original story for people to read and imagine, but the characters have a 'definite' design and surroundings created by the writer already. But super realistic looking and much more numerous in pictures compared to an illustrated story. You know what I mean? Kinda pioneering work...Very Happy

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Gaaaahhhh you're the man Spooks, what else can I say? I mean everything else about the gorgeous set details has already been stated, haha. I tried my first shot at the brick wall setup but not yet on your level yet. What did you make it out of, if I might ask? And that sunglare background of the wasteland? Was that edited stock printed out or what? I'm also super excited to see - WHAATT?!!!? SEVEN new characters you've been keeping in the dark until now? Your self restraint is incredible, I can't help but introduce every new one I create upon completion. Your soundtrack is interesting to me, it sounds somewhat older and I only vaguely recognize a few of the songs, but I'm the kind of person who can enjoy a wide range of genres, so I'd definitely be up for you recommending a larger playlist of some kind within your top 20 or so. Razz

Valiarde

Valiarde
Very cool post and the setting is well done. All the little details bring it to life! Eager to see more of the story.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:12!? That’s going to be epic. Can’t wait to see all the new characters.

Yeah, I'm really psyched to reveal them all!

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:Thank you so much!!!!  Damn, I missed you too.  Been away too long, and it feels good to be back.  And so happy you're digging the new work.  I was really excited to post this one, and it's the first straight narrative writing I've really posted, so coming from another writer, that means a hell of a lot.

Aww, of course -- your stuff is always such a treat to view and read! I love you And the way you had the text worked fine for me, probably because my computer is slow and when words are interspersed with text I sometimes miss some of it cause the images take so long to load and show up. Razz While as a lover of illustrated works I can of course appreciate the beauty of intermingled text and images, in this case it was interesting to see if I could understand what was being conveyed just by the photos, and *then* read the story to see how it matched up. Both the photo-story and written words had a cinematic quality to them, so it flowed pretty well I thought. 

Thank you!  So glad it all came together.  Yeah, it's a really weird approach, and is all a bit of an experiment, so I love hearing that it actually works.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:When I was looking for the right opening song, 20th Century Boy just felt like it.  That guitar riff is just so incredible, and I could just imagine it howling through the empty streets.  And so thrilled the music perspective hit you the way it did, and I LOVE that comparison to old dead stars!  It' is PERFECT.  Rock & roll has always been at the center of my world, and I so badly wanted to get across the kinda mythic role it plays in Saint Crow's life, as it really is at the core of the story.  So getting that across and getting it right was so important to me writing this.

Well, it fit perfectly, and was a great way to start my morning -- I ended up having it in my head all day, lol! It had been ages since I listened to T.Rex, so it was actually really nice. Thanks for that. ;D

And eee, glad you liked that -- I guess it's got another added layer to it, since the rock gods of old were 'stars' in their way as well. :')  

That mythic quality certainly came across, and his fascination with lost treasures of the past is so relatable to me. In fact, some days I feel rather like a relic of the 20th century myself. Laughing

I didn't even consider the ROCK STAR aspect of the metaphor too!!  I so love that too.  And I'm obsessed too with ancient mysteries, so I love the idea of our time portrayed as this strange, almost ancient world from their perspective, and rock & roll is this almost primal thing, this spirit that refuses to be forgotten.  I plan to keep going with lots of song references too, so hopefully I'll dredge up a few more old ghost, as well as hopefully introducing a few new ones.

And I so hear you on being relic of the 20th century.  Although it's funny, I think I've felt so out of step with the world my whole life, I almost notice it less as I get older.  

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:And HELL YES shirtless Crow!  I am fully committed to some equal opportunity fan service in the world of the Radio Kings.  Glad to provide.  Very Happy 

Haha, I *knew* there was a reason I loved your 'verse! Wink But seriously, it's appreciated, lol! 

Hey, St Crow is a sexy beast.  It'd be a crime not to share.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:And yeah, there NEEDED to be some Mark Lanegan represented.  I love that Rhys Cooper poster so much too, and would love to have in 1:1.  All his concert posters are just so killer. but that Lanegan one is a favorite.  I still want to do a 1/6 Blues Funeral record, and when I finally get around to it, I definitely owe you one.

Ahh, indeed. Mark Lanegan might not be the most well-known musician of his era in terms of mainstream awareness, but damn... he is certainly one of the most prolific. Everything from his bands, to his solo stuff, to his myriad collaborations over the years... it's fascinating. So yeah, he most certainly deserves his place amongst the pantheon of music gods in the Radio Kings world. :')

And my eventual 1/6 mini-me would be OVER THE MOON to have Blues Funeral on 'vinyl', lol. 

Re: Rhys Cooper -- completely agree with you, love that poster, and pretty much all his posters in general! Absolutely stunning work. It'd be awesome to have that particular print in 1:1 for sure, but it's been hard to find. Though this past summer I miraculously scored this one: 

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings 9983fc10

Lanegan is so underrated!  And yeah so insanely prolific.  I was just listening to that XX cover that he did with Massive Attack and Warpaint this morning.  If you have't run across it, it's incredible.

https://soundcloud.com/bianca-marchetti/crystalised-martina-topley

And the poster you got is GORGEOUS! So fitting for him too.  So jealous!

skywalkersaga wrote:ETA: Meant to add that, like Stryker, I'm beyond excited to see all TWELVE of your Radio Kings characters in action! Congrats on getting so many finished, that must be a wonderful feeling!

God, it really is.  I've been so focused on the figures themselves, I can finally let the the dust clear, and and focus on what needs to be done next to get them online.  Which is mainly writing and backdrops.  Full speed ahead!

Ovy wrote:Haha, 12, you nut, that's great to hear!

I really like the way you 'celebrate' each new entry like the reveal of a new Apple product by Steve Jobs. Laughing I think I myself have not found the 'right' way to introduce characters yet, on the one hand I love the way each new character of yours is a finished, fleshed out being , with a  the new thread for each Photostory too. On  the other hand I like to share the progress of construction, world building etc. Although it's much more messy.

Regarding text block and photo block, I just realized how unique that kind of presentation is: It's a fleshed out original story for people to read and imagine, but the characters have a 'definite' design and surroundings created by the writer already. But super realistic looking and much more numerous in pictures compared to an illustrated story. You know what I mean? Kinda pioneering work...Very Happy

Laughing Thanks Ovy!  I so want to be the Steve Jobs of the 1/6 world!  But I do try to treat it like a book, or a comic or a movie, and not reveal too much before the finished project.  I worry if I show too much along the way, it robs some of the excitement from the final reveal, and I really want each post to be a bit of an experience (If that's not just way too pretentious to say).  I am glad to share ANYTHING about the build after showing it, but I'm always hoping there's a bit of a "wow" factor the 1st time you see it, especailly if I can incorporate some dramatic story elements.  Trust me, I love seeing other people's work in progress photos (especially yours, which are always fascinating), but I get so hung up on HOW I want to introduce each character in the story.

And hearing you say that it's "pioneering" means a ton to hear.  I'm far from the best at anything I do.  There are so many WAY better customizers, diorama makers, photographers and writers out there than me, but I always kinda hope that I can combine these things into something fresh and interesting enough to be entertaining and engaging, and to stand out.  

AlKelAstra91 wrote:Gaaaahhhh you're the man Spooks, what else can I say? I mean everything else about the gorgeous set details has already been stated, haha. I tried my first shot at the brick wall setup but not yet on your level yet. What did you make it out of, if I might ask? And that sunglare background of the wasteland? Was that edited stock printed out or what? I'm also super excited to see - WHAATT?!!!? SEVEN new characters you've been keeping in the dark until now? Your self restraint is incredible, I can't help but introduce every new one I create upon completion. Your soundtrack is interesting to me, it sounds somewhat older and I only vaguely recognize a few of the songs, but I'm the kind of person who can enjoy a wide range of genres, so I'd definitely be up for you recommending a larger playlist of some kind within your top 20 or so. Razz

Thanks so much AlKelAstra91!!!!  So glad you're enjoying.  I do all my brick out of insulation foam sheets:

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings Owens-corning-foam-board-insulation-20we-64_400_compressed

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-150-1-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-5-Scored-Square-Edge-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-20WE/207179253

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-150-1-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-7-5-Scored-Squared-Edge-Rigid-Foam-Board-Insulation-Sheathing-88WD/202085958

1" is thick enough for most stuff, but the 1.5" helps if it needs to be a little more structurally sound, like bigger walls.  It's dirt cheap, $20-25 for an 8'x4' sheet, and really easy to carve into.  I think the trick is just getting the brick at the right size, and after that it's just a LOT of monotonous carving.  I use a pocket knife instead of a razor since the wider blade gives a better groove, and you get less of a clean texture on the edges of each brick.

The background is a stock image, but it's actually on a monitor sitting behind the dio.  I thought the glow it gave off would better sell the look of it being brighter outside.  So glad it worked!

And it is so hard to resist showing everything.  I just get it in my head how I want to shoot each character, so there's always this list of what needs to be done before I can photograph.  But it can be so punishing at times.  I'm probably a bit neurotic, honestly.  

And so happy you're digging the soundtrack!  I plan to keep going posting the songs referenced in the story, so hopefully most of it hits for you.  My tastes are all over the place too, so look forward to a pretty eclectic mix.  These 1st 3 tracks are from 1973, 1997, and 1999, and I have a lot lined up that are a bit more obscure and a lot more recent, but I wanted to start with some really iconic artist.  I briefly considered building a spotify playlist too, but not sure who all uses spotify (I personally don't but was tempted to get an account just for this).  But always excited to her what grabs you.

Valiarde wrote:Very cool post and the setting is well done. All the little details bring it to life! Eager to see more of the story.

Thank you Valiarde!!  So much more lined up I can't wait to share.  Glad you're in for the haul!

Oh, and added a few shots with the Cramps record mentioned in the story. It needed to be in there.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks amazing, I really like that desk and all the stuff on it.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings 1f60e

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
All I can say is "Wow!" If I was amazed by your previous diorama's this one just blows me away to somewhere I'm never coming back from. It just bloody-well awesome. The detail is fabulous.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Hands down, you do the BEST Post Apocalyptic props and diorama building ever!
You tell a damn fine story too, which is fuel for the fire.
Always happy when you post new stuff, it makes me smile!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:

Lanegan is so underrated!  And yeah so insanely prolific.  I was just listening to that XX cover that he did with Massive Attack and Warpaint this morning.  If you have't run across it, it's incredible.

Sooo sorry for my delayed response! Been a long week. ;p

The poster was one of those fluke occurrences where you find an ebay auction at the last minute that no one is bidding on but you! :'D

Finally got a chance to listen to that cover you rec'd.... awesome!  I hadn't heard it before -- Lanegan really is THAT prolific that it's easy to find out you've missed this or that guest vocal or collaboration of his. Admittedly, I came to his work relatively 'late' and through a roundabout way -- I think the first of his stuff I really listened to was his collaboration with Isobel Campbell, and then just fell head over heels and went through as much of the rest of his discography as I could find from there on out. I was never into grunge style music (I'm much more of a classic rock, folk, and metal person, lol), so I guess I probably had overlooked his earlier stuff because of the association with that, even though of COURSE he's always been sooo much more than that, even back then. Anyhooo, thanks for the link to the song, absolutely loved it of course! Smile I could listen to his husky raspy voice for eternity and never get tired. I love you

skywalkersaga wrote:ETA: Meant to add that, like Stryker, I'm beyond excited to see all TWELVE of your Radio Kings characters in action! Congrats on getting so many finished, that must be a wonderful feeling!

God, it really is.  I've been so focused on the figures themselves, I can finally let the the dust clear, and and focus on what needs to be done next to get them online.  Which is mainly writing and backdrops.  Full speed ahead!

I'm ridiculously excited for what you have in store!!! Need MOARRR. Very Happy

Btw, I was looking back through the pics, and had a few questions -- first of all, for the ceiling lights, are those one of those LED light strips??? If so, brilliant use of it! Also that plus the radio itself begs the question, which I'm still somewhat unsure about... what is the electricity source(s), both in terms of this scene specifically, but also in your 'verse in general? I'm sure you must have mentioned before in your other Radio Kings posts, so forgive my poor memory atm...

Secondly, what is the figure/figurine on the desk? I tried to squint but it was hard to make out, and I'm super curious...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Allotropos

Allotropos
absolutely phenomenal work !
I am blown away by all the thought out details you've included in it !
So much eye candy and looking forward to seeing more !

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks amazing, I really like that desk and all the stuff on it.

Thank you Boo-bomb!  All the little details are always the most fun part.

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:All I can say is "Wow!"  If I was amazed by your previous diorama's this one just blows me away to somewhere I'm never coming back from. It just bloody-well awesome. The detail is fabulous.  

Thanks so much PhotogsBlog!  This was one of my favorites to do too.  The Radio station is so central to this world, so I had to do it right.  I was looking for parts to work with for so long, and stumbled on this insane old Japanese model kit with a bunch components like the tape deck and reel to reel.  Just those pieces took most of a weekend to build, but did a lot to pull this thing together.

Pontiacivan wrote:Hands down, you do the BEST Post Apocalyptic props and diorama building ever!
You tell a damn fine story too, which is fuel for the fire.
Always happy when you post new stuff, it makes me smile!

Ah, thank you Pontiacivan!! Man, my heart just swells hearing that.  Love that you're enjoying the story and everything else!  

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:And yeah, there NEEDED to be some Mark Lanegan represented.  I love that Rhys Cooper poster so much too, and would love to have in 1:1.  All his concert posters are just so killer. but that Lanegan one is a favorite.  I still want to do a 1/6 Blues Funeral record, and when I finally get around to it, I definitely owe you one.

Not Mark Lanegan *Band*, but Mark Lanegan himself....  :hearteyes:

Sooo sorry for my delayed response! Been a long week. ;p

The poster was one of those fluke occurrences where you find an ebay auction at the last minute that no one is bidding on but you! :'D

Finally got a chance to listen to that cover you rec'd.... awesome!  I hadn't heard it before -- Lanegan really is THAT prolific that it's easy to find out you've missed this or that guest vocal or collaboration of his. Admittedly, I came to his work relatively 'late' and through a roundabout way -- I think the first of his stuff I really listened to was his collaboration with Isobel Campbell, and then just fell head over heels and went through as much of the rest of his discography as I could find from there on out. I was never into grunge style music (I'm much more of a classic rock, folk, and metal person, lol), so I guess I probably had overlooked his earlier stuff because of the association with that, even though of COURSE he's always been sooo much more than that, even back then. Anyhooo, thanks for the link to the song, absolutely loved it of course! Smile I could listen to his husky raspy voice for eternity and never get tired. I love you

I'm ridiculously excited for what you have in store!!! Need MOARRR. Very Happy

Btw, I was looking back through the pics, and had a few questions -- first of all, for the ceiling lights, are those one of those LED light strips??? If so, brilliant use of it! Also that plus the radio itself begs the question, which I'm still somewhat unsure about... what is the electricity source(s), both in terms of this scene specifically, but also in your 'verse in general? I'm sure you must have mentioned before in your other Radio Kings posts, so forgive my poor memory atm...

Secondly, what is the figure/figurine on the desk? I tried to squint but it was hard to make out, and I'm super curious...

No worries on the delayed response!  I wish I could get on here more often too, but work seems intent on killing me, and as soon as I get a few free moments, I get wrapped up in more of my own projects.  

And damn, that is such a score on that poster.  eBay is all about those perfect deals.  And I actually discovered Lanegan way late too, and I still haven't nearly worked my way through his whole catalog.  He really does just put out that much work.  But that track is particularly killer, and yeah, I will listen to ANYTHING he's associated with.  

Man, I just want to share everything I've been working on.  But I get so hung up on setting the perfect scene to introduce new characters, and backgrounds I want to build.  And the next one (if I can be patient and keep focused on it) is gonna be big and insane, and worth the wait.

So, the ceiling lights are actually Ikea LED light strips:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ledberg-led-light-strip-white-80430826/

But then I built light covers out of clear plastic, matte spray, some paint for grime, and some random plastic pieces to seal the ends.  I think I may have even harvested the plastic from the lights' packaging.  

The figure is a DC Bombshells Catwoman Heroclix gamepiece!

Chapter 1 - The Lighthouse - Post Apocalyptic Radio Station - From the World of the Radio Kings 020_Catwoman_HiRes_Render

I love the Bombshells retro-pinup art take on the characters, and this just seemed... fitting.  I actually have a little Heroclix pile just because the game pieces are the perfect 1/6 scale figures for my 1/6 scale figures.  I have a House of Seasons character I could totally imagine would have a toy collection, and eventually want to use them for a diorama with him.  

Which brings us to power.  I have a lot of thoughts on this, but nothing solid enough that I want to commit to as cannon for the story.  Yet.  I'm leaning towards the idea that the town sprung up around an old hydro-electric power station that they managed to get working.  Once Kit arrives there, she'll introduce some alternative energy sources as well, like wind and solar.  Wind generators seem like they'd be a great option in a post apocalyptic world (especially combined with other sources) and I've read some crazy stuff about how solar cells could be made from all sorts of scrap.  I actually know some people with a farm in upstate New York who power the entire place with waste from their cows, so I'm kinda fascinated with how things like that could be applied to a post apocalyptic setting.  Since a big theme of Radio Kings is how we made the planet barely habitable, I really want to explore how we'd survive under those conditions.  I've also seen some amazing stuff on hydroponic farming, and with the introduction of more science/tech savvy characters, this is what will allow allow Transmission Hold to grow and maintain as a community.  But I want to do a lot more research to ground this as much as I can.

Allotropos wrote:absolutely phenomenal work !
I am blown away by all the thought out details you've included in it !
So much eye candy and looking forward to seeing more !

Thank you Allotropos!!!  This really was one of the most fun builds to do, and I'm so happy that comes through!  Can't wait to share the next chapter.

MerylAkiba

I can't help think of the Phrase 'I Still believe'. Was it inspired from The Lost Boys?

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
MerylAkiba wrote:I can't help think of the Phrase 'I Still believe'. Was it inspired from The Lost Boys?

I'd totally forgotten about that song in The Lost Boys!!!

It's actually a nod to the Frank Turner song of the same name.

When I started on this, I really wanted to do some post apocalyptic figures, but I was trying to find my own approach to the genre, a way to put my own spin on it.  I was listening to this song, and it all just started to gel.  

Now who'd have thought that after all,
Something as simple as rock 'n' roll would save us all.
Now who'd have thought that after all, it was rock 'n' roll.

And I still believe (I still believe) in the saints.
Yeah, in Jerry Lee and in Johnny and all the greats.
And I still believe (I still believe) in the sound,
That has the power to raise a temple and tear it down.

And I still believe (I still believe) in the need,
For guitars and drums and desperate poetry.
And I still believe (I still believe) that everyone,
Can find a song for every time they've lost and every time they've won.

So just remember folks we not just saving lives, we're saving souls,
And we're having fun.

And I still believe.

And that was the piece oh the puzzle I was looking for.  The whole idea of the old legends of rock and roll becoming the new saints, that rock and roll would save us all, became the seed of the whole Radio Kings mythos.  That rock and roll spirit as salvation.  

If there was ever a Radio Kings movie, this would be the end credits song.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum