OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

This is a figure that basically popped together by itself, it was acting more of a repository of items that I was planning on using than a bash but it slowly took shape. Originally I had intended to make him a Civil Guard in some sort of weird unit but I decided to go on a different route. As always and before the fake history a bit of real history. The Civil Guard in Puerto Rico was established in 1865 following the "Grito de Lares" (revolution attempt), from that point on the Civil Guard went through a few changes which most likely where local adaptions to needs and climate, they would continue to operate until 1898 at which point they formed part of the defenses of Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American war. After the war the civil guard was disbanded and it's members returned to Spain this however left a power vacuum on the island giving rise to banditry and other problems that the US troops had a problem dealing with due to cultural and language barriers among other problems.

On the other hand the Civil Defense was similar to those that popped up in the rest of the United States established in the 1930's it went through changes up until 1976. The civil defense continued to operate under the same name but now much different than how it was originally designed (now more centered around search & rescue), in 1999 the name was officially changed and the organic law was derogated changing the name to AEMEAD in spanish (Puerto Rico State Agency for Emergency and Disaster Management). Curiously enough the emblem continues to be the same, still using a map of PR with the civil defense logo in the middle and the agency's name around it.

And now for what we all came here, fake history, better known as alt history!

In 1910 Puerto Rico national police commander Alfonso Negroni suggested to the legislature and president of the republic that the civil guard be reinstated to it's original state, this suggestion however was considered to be a waste of money and resources since the police was already doing the same jobs with their own rural units. The idea wouldn't surface until the 1920's when it was again proposed but ignored, there was simply no need to have anything like it, the new army and navy where more than enough. By the 1930's the idea was again proposed but as a civilian militia comprised of volunteers that would carry out auxiliary duties for the armed forces and would free up professional  troops from meaningless tasks. In 1934 the first unit was created in San Juan, they received basic military training once a month and every two months they would be trained how to fire their rifles, many of the volunteers where often rural workers that had come to the cities, people with disabilities that where still capable of working but where unfit for military service and older men who where too old for the military.The civil defense had officers which where often retired policemen or veterans that had come from Europe many of whom where sometimes injured or too old for the military, the force was a nice way to gain some income though it was by no means a living wage.

One of the most curious things about the civil defense was that it was never part of the military reforms this allowed for the adoption of whatever worked or whatever an officer wanted his men to look like, while weapons where all the same with the exception of officers who bought their own.  Uniforms where perhaps the most curious, officers where known to dress in striking uniforms with colorful decorations, veterans adopted uniforms similar to those of their homelands or sought to recreate uniforms based around things they had seen. Uniforms for non officers where on the other hand utilitarian, one size fits all uniforms that the volunteers hemmed themselves or had someone do it for them, equipment used was also a mix match of commercially available items and whatever could be found on the markets or in most cases bags where ammunition could be placed if the need to arm the civil defense ever arose, for the most part the civil defense did not wield weapons, not even officers where allowed them unless it was absolutely needed.
[alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps  OcUwUeL
[alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps  GlrL2ym
[alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps  HOkj3AK
[alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps  XYqFZEf

Well that's all for today, I'm actually working on making a non officer for this guy to boss around instead of making my pilot, what can I say? I generally don't work in order, the little desk to my left is proof enough that there's at least five or six ideas running around in my head at most times. With that said I hope you all have a nice day and stay safe out there.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps  1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
Nice, he looks important. He has an important, slightly authorative mustache.

I like how your alt history is not just a military power fantasy, I like the details, struggle with personnel, funding,  imperfections etc.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I like what you've done here. Very nice.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
He did come out very well. And having a matching figure to go with him would certainly increase his potential (or both of theirs, really).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another nice looking figure, and interesting history — both real and alternate. Nice work.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps  C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ovy wrote:Nice, he looks important. He has an important, slightly authorative mustache.

I like how your alt history is not just a military power fantasy, I like the details, struggle with personnel, funding,  imperfections etc.

Thanks Ovy, I picked him because of that mustache, I need to get me some more mustachioed men for some bashes or give them the mustaches myself. I'm glad my attempts to keep the fantasy realistic have payed off, I would find it quite silly for a small nation like alt history PR to have a massive fleet of ships and a giant army, for starters it wouldn't fit.

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I like what you've done here.  Very nice.

Thanks ThePhotosBlog.

GubernatorFan wrote:He did come out very well. And having a matching figure to go with him would certainly increase his potential (or both of theirs, really).

Thanks Gubernator. Currently working on the other guy, I already had the belt and other gear I was going to use so all I'm trying to do is get the uniform right. 😨

Stryker2011 wrote:Another nice looking figure, and interesting history — both real and alternate. Nice work.

Thanks Stryker. I thought giving a bit of real history might help with understand where certain things might have come from. Realistically speaking I could have also mentioned the Puerto Rico State Guard which according to them, they are one of the longest running state guards in the entirety of the US as they claim they simply changed name from "professional militias" to state guard.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [alt history] Officer of the Civil defense volunteer corps  1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum