OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1[Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  Empty [Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer Sun May 10, 2020 4:33 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

I've finally done my volunteer to go with the officer. I went through a lot of uniforms trying to find one that looked okay, I feel the main issue I had was the fabric and the pockets since I wanted something that looked utilitarian rather than sharp and presentable like my army soldier. I originally had used a tan uniform but I didn't like how it looked, so I switched to two different USMC uniforms that had a more interesting fabric pattern and in the end I chose this one, obviously I went and bleached it and the whole thing turned into a nice orange color so after about a day of trying to bleach it without damaging the fabric I decided to just use fabric medium and a bit of a sand color to make it what I wanted.

Since I already posted a bit about the force I'll just expand a bit more on this one. Civil Defense Officer

The Civil Defense Volunteer Corps

The first unit of the civil defense corps was established in San Juan in 1934, though meant as an auxiliary to the military, both the army and the navy the corps also carried out other duties such as disaster relief during emergencies, they often where charged with setting up relief centers where they provided food and shelter to those that where affected. However, outside of the large cities the CDVC also provided other duties such as road assistance, road building and upkeep, constructing water wells, and building schools and small clinics for communities. Because the force was comprised of volunteers the men where given a small stipend for their service, however their pay was raised once there was an emergency.  When the force was first established they where not meant to have uniforms, instead they would be given armbands, this was decided against and instead they would receive uniforms.

The uniforms of the civil defense where known as "Rayao" or striped, it was a tan cotton fabric whose dye tone changed depending on the manufacturer.  No other piece of equipment was provided for them which mean that the men where more than free to use whatever they wanted, thick leather belts where common and commercially available pouches where too, otherwise a simple bag could be used to hold ammunition. As for headwear the men usually wore hats or in some cases pith helmets if they where able to afford them or if someone donated the gear to them.
[Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  53r2is0
[Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  WGtBF60
[Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  M8QxTAQ
[Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  MfezbdS

Well that's my civil defense volunteer, for as simple as he looks he gave me much more trouble than all the others, I was originally tempted to leave the uniform orange but he looked more like a prisoner than a volunteer. I went back on my air force guy once again, he's probably going to win most problematic figure to put together award (if that's even a thing), I would like to make a national policeman of some sort but I still have no plans on how to put him together  on one hand a proper policeman would be cool, but on the other a prison colony sort of police man would also be cool, we'll see.  On the meanwhile I'll go back to my secret bashes and wishing you all a good day and remind you to stay safe out there.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks pretty cool. Nice backstory. If I had one criticism, it would be to add some sort of dried blood onto the bandage (brown mixed with red makes it look like it's dried -- and it doesn't even have to be a lot, as it could be a minor cut that isn't going to mean the loss of his eye). It's entirely up to you, however -- if it's even meant to be a cut at all. Looks good with your officer.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done, I think they look well together, and like the contrast between the officer and the volunteer. Nice touch with the eye bandaging, too -- not something we see a whole lot.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks pretty cool. Nice backstory. If I had one criticism, it would be to add some sort of dried blood onto the bandage (brown mixed with red makes it look like it's dried -- and it doesn't even have to be a lot, as it could be a minor cut that isn't going to mean the loss of his eye). It's entirely up to you, however -- if it's even meant to be a cut at all. Looks good with your officer.

Thanks Styrker, the bandage over the eye was just me trying to illustrate a member who would have otherwise not been considered fit for normal military service. Though I like your idea of the dried blood I'll make use of it in some other figure.

GubernatorFan wrote:Very nicely done, I think they look well together, and like the contrast between the officer and the volunteer. Nice touch with the eye bandaging, too -- not something we see a whole lot.

Thanks Gubernator, for me this guy was all about that contrast, the officers would have had some sort of experience either in the military or in the police, I figured they could have had more access to finer things than the average volunteer.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt history] Civil Defense Volunteer  1f60e

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I would hope that if war broke out, the officers would have the common sense to dress a little more like the men. Otherwise, they would not last long.

Ovy

Ovy
I like him, he has character. Nice fabric too. I think he would look cool with one of those armbands you mentioned.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I would hope that if war broke out, the officers would have the common sense to dress a little more like the men. Otherwise, they would not last long.

Thanks ThePhotosblog, I don't think they would last either but they would most likely be doing duties behind the lines much like the rest of the civil defense. Also the officers could wear whatever they wanted as it was their privilege, so there could be officers wearing the same uniforms as the rest of the volunteers or perhaps something less colorful.

Ovy wrote:I like him, he has character. Nice fabric too. I think he would look cool with one of those armbands you mentioned.

Thanks Ovy, it's a nice fabric and I still have one more uniform which I might make use of. I originally intended to make use of an armband and even managed to make one but I thought he looked a bit more like a political thing than a civilian volunteer.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I would hope that if war broke out, the officers would have the common sense to dress a little more like the men. Otherwise, they would not last long.

Thanks ThePhotosblog, I don't think they would last either but they would most likely be doing duties behind the lines much like the rest of the civil defense. Also the officers could wear whatever they wanted as it was their privilege, so there could be officers wearing the same uniforms as the rest of the volunteers or perhaps something less colorful.

Ovy wrote:I like him, he has character. Nice fabric too. I think he would look cool with one of those armbands you mentioned.

Thanks Ovy, it's a nice fabric and I still have one more uniform which I might make use of. I originally intended to make use of an armband and even managed to make one but I thought he looked a bit more like a political thing than a civilian volunteer.

But the fact that they carry weapons at all somewhat implies that they might be expected to engage an enemy at some point and therefore the officers would be wise under such circumstances, to dress more like the men, no?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum