OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Noob ankle questions

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Noob ankle questions Empty Noob ankle questions Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Annalise

Annalise
I received the very disappointing VCF-2037ABC set yesterday. As these are my first verycool figures, I have to ask you more experienced folks a few questions.

I noobly, naively and foolishly assumed that they could stand on their own feet, but alas. (Actually, they can if you manage to precariously balance them perfectly vertically at attention, then don't walk heavily nearby or allow any air to circulate.)

The problem is in the 'ankle bone' between the boot and leg. Brand new out of the box it's ridiculously loose. Since both figs are this way, I assume it's standard for these bodies? Or did I score a pair of defective ones?

I think I'm going to just strap the boots to the leg with a mummy wrap of electrical tape, or maybe make a clay splint or maybe quit this incredibly frustrating hobby... still deciding. So far, the score is Frustration 28, Fun 3.   Crying or Very sad

Anyone have any advice for ankle reinforcement? Is it only TBL, JIAOU and HT that can stand on their own? The Alert Line figure I got a few weeks ago can't stand unaided either. Is there a list somewhere of which manufacturers bodies require stands regardless of footware selection? Thanks in advance!

2Noob ankle questions Empty Re: Noob ankle questions Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I don't own any of these, but if I had a problem with a loose ankle/foot peg, the first and easiest thing I would try to do to fix it is cut a very short length of elastic cord (the kind of thing now often advertised for sewing your own face masks), enough to basically cradle the peg or line the hole in the foot or boot, and place that in-between. If it is still loose, place two layers (either two lengths or one longer one, folded over). It would usually do the trick. See for example the last photo in Post 122 in this thread:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1403p82-clothing-tbleague-phicen-seamless-bodies-updated-part-xviii-august-11-2020#41256

3Noob ankle questions Empty Re: Noob ankle questions Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:25 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Welcome Annalise. Don´t give up, this is a great hobby Laughing Maybe we will see some Pictures of Your figures here soon.

And here are Old Friends and New Friends. No Noobs Smile

4Noob ankle questions Empty Re: Noob ankle questions Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:56 pm

csyeung

csyeung
While phicens tend to be the ones that can stand the best in various poses, there are several tips and tricks for loose ankles depending on what the situation may be causing it. Gubernator mentioned one, there is also the floor polish if it's minor to tighten joints. You can also use putty to strengthen it as well while keeping articulation. Don't give up. I'm sure there are many here with better experience than I that can help out as well. Feel free to post pictures and describe what seems to be loose. Also you can try heating boot up with hairdryer and squeezing it against peg? Heating will soften plastic and you can remold it a bit depending on the type, so squeezing may make the joint tighter.

5Noob ankle questions Empty Re: Noob ankle questions Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:17 pm

Annalise

Annalise
GubernatorFan - Thanks for that tip. The elastic proved to be too thick so I used a poly bag instead, but same technique. Much better.

I guess I just didn't expect to have to modify an expensive boxed set to be able to display it, and that stands would be included if required. Oh wait, maybe that's what the dog is really for, the other 2 to lean on.  Laughing

Ephiane - Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words. Currently, the photo would be of 5 big and tall Phicen women in string bikinis staring at a pile of way too small clothing - pretty boring. But still hoping to have something to show someday...

6Noob ankle questions Empty Re: Noob ankle questions Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Annalise wrote:GubernatorFan - Thanks for that tip. The elastic proved to be too thick so I used a poly bag instead, but same technique. Much better.

You are welcome. I'm glad it worked out. The poly bags (or tape of various kinds) are a solution, though very often they are not quite thick enough, hence the suggestion about elastic cord. But it is the same principle, as you discovered.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum