OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Alt History] National Police of P.R

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1[Alt History] National Police of P.R Empty [Alt History] National Police of P.R Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:13 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

This is a figure that I had finished before the light machine gunner I posted some days ago. I finished it back in July but it sort of fell between the cracks of the other unfinished projects. Anyway, how about some real history before I go ahead and make up things?

Police in Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico's first police force was The Puerto Rico civil guard established in 1837 by then governor Francisco Javier de Moreda y Prieto, from its inception the civil guard acted as the primary police force of the island tho some municipalities still kept a local police force . Fast forward to 1898 and the Spanish American war the civil guard would go on to form part of the defenses of Puerto Rico and after the Treaty of Paris was signed they too left with the army since they where considered to be Peninsular forces just like the army and navy.

Puerto Rico would not have a proper police force until 1899 when the Insular Police of Porto Rico was formed under the command of Spanish American war veteran and Marine, Frank Techner. Perhaps due to how it was formed the Puerto Rico insular Police and later on just the Puerto Rico police where considered a quasi-military organization of public safety, this was later changed to a civil organization of public safety just like those in the rest of the United States.

And with that in mind we depart for the Alt History content we all (hopefully) came for.

Policia Nacional de Puerto Rico (Puerto Rico National Police)

After the US withdrawal from Puerto Rico in 1907 the provisional Insular Police was renamed into The Puerto Rico National Police, from then on it would be similar in the way it worked to the old Civil Guard (a reason why the civil guard was never reinstated) but unlike it this one would have a presence all over Puerto Rico with the exception of Mona Island. The national police in it's beginings would wear all white uniforms with blue decorations on the cuffs and neck, by the 1920's the uniform had changed to a light blue. Weapons wise the national police made use of revolvers and batons, it wouldn't be until the 1929 worker riots and the subsequent Sugar Wars (1930 to 1931) that the national police would start to also train on rifles given to them by the national army.

It was from these troubled times that the police would start to change, by the 1930's the light blue uniform had been replaced by a light grey uniform, shoes where replaced by ankle height boots and the use of leather putees became common, the use of helmets also became commonplace along side the use of rifles such as the gewehr 98 and later on the karabiner 98k both of which where surplus given to them by the national armed forces. However not only did uniforms and weapons change but tactics, the 1930's would be a time of political and social change in Puerto Rico, workers strikes and general discontent with the government's military projects which had displaced and even erased neighborhoods leaving many homeless or with insufficient funds to start a new would lead to violent clashes between protesters and police.

[Alt History] National Police of P.R JGH57QO
[Alt History] National Police of P.R ZWbtVmK
[Alt History] National Police of P.R WcaEvXH
[Alt History] National Police of P.R HpxoIkq

Well that's it, this is a figure where I tried to push as much historical things into one, for starters the sam brown belt is in the correct position used by the insular police from the 1930's to the early 1950's, the use of leather putees is also historical, the insular police made use of these regardless of what the policeman rode. The grey uniform is far more common today than back in the day, alternatives to it would have been navy blue, cadet blue or black (police do wear all black here). The lack of a baton is something that I've seen on period photos, in the early 1900's the few photos of police officers that I've seen seem to have neither belts nor batons, later on past the 1930's they appear to wear belts and pistols but no batons either. The cap is incorrect but I liked it more on the policeman than on the pilot for whom I originally bought it for, thanks to ThePhotosBlog for directing me to the person that makes such detailed hats and caps.

Well that's all for today, dunno what I'll be posting next, I currently have a few star wars figures in the making along some more alt history guys, I also recently got myself a SOTW zouave uniform and I'm thinking on what to do with it since it was an impulse buy, something about pillowy bright red pants made me want to get it. For now however, stay safe out there and keep on having fun.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] National Police of P.R 1f60e

2[Alt History] National Police of P.R Empty Re: [Alt History] National Police of P.R Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks for another real and another fictional history lesson.

I think you nailed the look using that vigilant, slightly suspicious and maybe a bit disillusioned headsculpt staring of into the distance (or keeping an eye on suspects).

3[Alt History] National Police of P.R Empty Re: [Alt History] National Police of P.R Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I second Ovy. Very nicely done.

4[Alt History] National Police of P.R Empty Re: [Alt History] National Police of P.R Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:23 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Nicely done. All the components come together very well.

5[Alt History] National Police of P.R Empty Re: [Alt History] National Police of P.R Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ovy wrote:Thanks for another real and another fictional history lesson.

I think you nailed the look using that vigilant, slightly suspicious and maybe a bit disillusioned headsculpt staring of into the distance (or keeping an eye on suspects).

Thanks Ovy, I think it's important when making alt history to talk about the real deal first, specially when it's so obscure as the police force of a US territory.

I picked the head because of it's narrowed eyes, it sort of added something that I'm glad is also visible to others.

GubernatorFan wrote:I second Ovy. Very nicely done.

Thanks Gubernator.

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Nicely done. All the components come together very well.  

Thanks ThePhotosBlog, in a way you helped with this little project, it would have looked terrible without the cap.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] National Police of P.R 1f60e

6[Alt History] National Police of P.R Empty Re: [Alt History] National Police of P.R Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:
Ovy wrote:Thanks for another real and another fictional history lesson.

Thanks Ovy, I think it's important when making alt history to talk about the real deal first, specially when it's so obscure as the police force of a US territory.

I picked the head because of it's narrowed eyes, it sort of added something that I'm glad is also visible to others.

GubernatorFan wrote:I second Ovy. Very nicely done.

Thanks Gubernator.

ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Nicely done. All the components come together very well.  

Thanks ThePhotosBlog, in a way you helped with this little project, it would have looked terrible without the cap.

The cap goes really well with this outfit.  The difference in colour between the cap and the jacket actually draw attention to the cap and the head sculpt. Moreover it suggests that the figure is part of a police force or possibly a paramilitary constabulary.  It also looks just right for a 1930's, 40's figure.  The figure evokes an authoritarian, even somewhat Stalinist look. He's kind of menacing in a subtle way. I could also see this figure as representing a border guard in some 1930's Balkan Republic or Kingdom.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum