OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The evolution of Jake's Study

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:33 am

GregT

way cool thread, thanks for posting all these ideas & tips & tricks...
I like how vintage Jake can share his digs with the most contemporary
femme figs, lucky guy but hey after all these years it's the least he deserves!

27The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:42 am

BAMComix

Ovy wrote:Finally took the time and (tea) to get through it, beautiful sir, I really love the window illusion and all the woodworking. not all dioramas have ceilings. Reusing little old childhood figures as deco is something I want to attempt too, haha

I am so glad you took the time to take a look  Very Happy , and a fellow Tea drinker  bounce   Thank you for your amazing comments, took me until the third time to get it right  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing . Yes, the little guys, soldiers and warhammer figures do make great statues. You can't see it but on one of the chests in the study is a cavalier on horseback that I painted gold, then dry-brushed with a brown stain so it looks like a bronze statue. I will have to take a pic for you  Very Happy

skywalkersaga wrote:Finally got a chance to scroll through and.. wow! So much love and care and hard work went into this, it's incredible! The detail and the design... all of it, amazing! :O

And yes, the tiny figures as collectibles for 1/6 figures is something I have planned down the line for my mini-me, as well... :'D

Thank you my friend for amazing comments about the study. I am planning to do the same thing with my pub Dio soon too. As I was saying about the smaller figures, they do make fantastic statues for dioramas bounce bounce

28The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:51 pm

shazzdan

I'm a gear-oriented person so like the accessories and backgrounds more than the figures themselves. It is great to see dioramas like this come together.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

29The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:05 pm

BAMComix

shazzdan wrote:I'm a gear-oriented person so like the accessories and backgrounds more than the figures themselves. It is great to see dioramas like this come together.

Pleased you enjoyed it shazzdan Very Happy

30The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:15 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
THIS IS AWESOME. So much cool work on this build I almost don't know where to start.

The stairway is one of my favorite parts. The construction is gorgeous, and I love the way it changes the layout of the room, creating this kinda nook behind it, and adds this vertical aspect to the room, which is always tricky to achieve in a dio. It works perfectly.

I am so impressed with the windows. The bit of brick visible outside the glass, the photos of the "view" outside is simply a brilliant detail, and completely sells the illusion of depth. Blown away by how well that works.

What did you use for the floor and ceiling ? I've used beadboard wainscotting for floors before, but yours looks tighter together, and even better for 1/6 scale use. Quite nice.

I have to admit, I regret seeing that the paneling above the fire place in version 2 didn't make it to version 3! What a great pattern, and totally sells that old classic look. I'll have to keep a look out for it myself. Although it still looks phenomenal without.

And just packed with great detail. The collection of occult artifacts, combined with the mundane and personal (like that gameboy) give the room such a real, lived-in kinda vibe, and a sense of personality for the room's owner. Before I even see him, I already just like Jake. And I'm completely enamored with all of the Lovecraftian pages and diagrams pinned to the map, and would love to know some of the sources, or if it's all original art.

Incredible work man. Genuinely looking forward to delving into this world!

31The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:26 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
ReverendSpooky wrote:THIS IS AWESOME.  So much cool work on this build I almost don't know where to start.  

The stairway is one of my favorite parts.  The construction is gorgeous, and I love the way it changes the layout of the room, creating this kinda nook behind it, and adds this vertical aspect to the room, which is always tricky to achieve in a dio.  It works perfectly.

I am so impressed with the windows.  The bit of brick visible outside the glass, the photos of the "view" outside is simply a brilliant detail, and completely sells the illusion of depth.  Blown away by how well that works.

What did you use for the floor and ceiling ? I've used beadboard wainscotting for floors before, but yours looks tighter together, and even better for 1/6 scale use.  Quite nice.

I have to admit, I regret seeing that the paneling above the fire place in version 2 didn't make it to version 3!  What a great pattern, and totally sells that old classic look.  I'll have to keep a look out for it myself.  Although it still looks phenomenal without.

And just packed with great detail.  The collection of occult artifacts, combined with the mundane and personal (like that gameboy) give the room such a real, lived-in kinda vibe, and a sense of personality for the room's owner.  Before I even see him, I already just like Jake.  And I'm completely enamored with all of the Lovecraftian pages and diagrams pinned to the map, and would love to know some of the sources, or if it's all original art.

Incredible work man.  Genuinely looking forward to delving into this world!

bounce bounce bounce Thank you! looking back at how much time and ideas I went through to get to this point, it's a wonder it ever got finished. Laughing funny story with the stairs, they where originally meant for the pub and I had them sat on the spare room floor. I got that fed up with stubbing my toes on them (and the fact the bar rebuild was just an idea) that they ended up in Jake's study bounce . So, I guess you could say, it was a happy accident Laughing .

The windows did work really well, Again, it was an idea I had during the build, I had tried it once before with the bedroom dio I built, but nothing as tight as the space behind the study window. I was and still am really pleased with the result. The best thing is, it was a simple idea that anyone could do with a little time Very Happy .

Ah, here we could have the language problem, over here it's called wooden cladding. It's very thing tongue and grove wooden pieces, usually around seven feet long that comes in packs of five. It comes in different patterns, the one I used has four grooves cut in, so they look like floor boards. I hope it helps?

The paneling in version two was textured wallpaper, and sadly I used it all in the first build as well as other projects, so when version three came along, it was back to the drawing boards Laughing .

Very Happy I always wanted to create a lived in space for Jake, a working study from where he runs the HQ as well as his personal projects. All the lovecraftian pics came from google images, I typed in lovecraft book pages and up they popped. I did the same for the pictures on the walls.

Thanks so much for the amazing comments and of course taking the time to follow the thread through bounce bounce bounce , as you said to me, really means a lot!

32The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:12 pm

davidd

davidd
Nice to see all the work-in-progress as well as finished version photos collected in one chronological reference!

I remember being horrified when you said you were going to dismantle V-2 of Jake's study. I did not think you could improve upon it. But improve upon it you did, with a real wooden staircase, no less! None of that sissy foamcore board stuff at BAM-HQ! They do things right! Built to last!

V-3 of the study is fantastic. So fantastic, in fact, that seeing it all again like this, I am inspired! I am going to go find a couple of figs right now, and my hot glue gun, and a ruler, and start constructing a desk. Then I'll build an office around it so my crew will have a proper HQ!

What's this I see from ThePhotogsBlog about Nikon Speedlights? Well... that sets up yet another point of enmity between Doctor Evil and Kamiko, as we are dedicated Canon enthusiasts around here!
Razz

And ReverendSpooky, what BAMComix calls "cladding" we often call "paneling." I use the exact same product in my dioramas... as well as for home improvement projects. It's available at Home Depot.
(I was going to include a link, but as I'm new here, I am not allowed to do so. Search for "5/16 in. x 3-11/16 in. x 8 ft. Knotty Pine Edge V-Plank Kit" on the Home Depot web site.)

Each strip is about 3-1/2 inches wide. One side is smooth. The other side is grooved, for gluing it down I suppose, but the grooved side makes excellent 1/6 scale floors, ceilings, and wainscoting.

33The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:31 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
davidd wrote:Nice to see all the work-in-progress as well as finished version photos collected in one chronological reference!

I remember being horrified when you said you were going to dismantle V-2 of Jake's study. I did not think you could improve upon it. But improve upon it you did, with a real wooden staircase, no less! None of that sissy foamcore board stuff at BAM-HQ! They do things right! Built to last!

V-3 of the study is fantastic. So fantastic, in fact, that seeing it all again like this, I am inspired! I am going to go find a couple of figs right now, and my hot glue gun, and a ruler, and start constructing a desk. Then I'll build an office around it so my crew will have a proper HQ!

What's this I see from ThePhotogsBlog about Nikon Speedlights? Well... that sets up yet another point of enmity between Doctor Evil and Kamiko, as we are dedicated Canon enthusiasts around here!
Razz

And ReverendSpooky, what BAMComix calls "cladding" we often call "paneling." I use the exact same product in my dioramas... as well as for home improvement projects. It's available at Home Depot.
(I was going to include a link, but as I'm new here, I am not allowed to do so. Search for "5/16 in. x 3-11/16 in. x 8 ft. Knotty Pine Edge V-Plank Kit" on the Home Depot web site.)

Each strip is about 3-1/2 inches wide. One side is smooth. The other side is grooved, for gluing it down I suppose, but the grooved side makes excellent 1/6 scale floors, ceilings, and wainscoting.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Yes, I remember our conversations about the rebuikd from two to three Very Happy . You know, looking at this thread now makes me remember all the different building processes and the lessons I learned along the way from each build.
I will look forward too seeing what you come up with, your builds are always amazing! Thanks also for the description of what cladding is called in America, I couldn't think what it was bounce bounce bounce

34The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:57 am

Chip

Every time I see Jakes Office , I seem to notice something I not spotted before , so well done .

35The evolution of Jake's Study - Page 2 Empty Re: The evolution of Jake's Study Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:17 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Chip wrote:Every time I see Jakes Office , I seem to notice something I not spotted before , so well done .

Cheers chip! bounce bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum