OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:34 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
What I'm posting here is one of several collaborative projects that BAMComix AKA Dal and I have slapped together without much difficulty just in the last couple of weeks.  There are others,  posted on Dal's AMMO site, and containing the participation of members as well, but taken out of context, they would have little meaning.  This one however, I think can stand on it's own.  These projects have been much, much easier to pull off than you might imagine.  Basically, there are two different models we've used and all of them have included phone calls or radio messages between BAM HQ and Kimono Station.  

In the first model, we jointly worked on the dialogue but only one of us, shot photos, and then who shoots the photos puts them together with the joint dialogue.  In this model only one participant in the phone call is seen, but both are heard, or more precisely read.  

In the second model, which is a bit more complex but not much more, only one of us wrote dialogue, but both contributed photos.  In this model, the dialogue is written first, sent by email or pm to the other participant, who then shoots his or her photos and then sends them to the writer, who also shoots his / her own photos, and puts it all together.  That's the model you see here where I wrote all the dialogue, sent it to Dal, who having approved it, shot a few photos, sent them to me and I put them all together.  We also did another where I created the dialogue, and sent Dal some images and he shot his own and out them all together.  This is only more complicated in that it might take time for all the participants to shoot the necessary photos.  And if one person only is writing all the dialogue, then that person should be very well attuned to what a character created by the other would say in a conversation.

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554324422_7436803919_ckamiko-Jake cover by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554327137_49c54cedf9_cPage 1 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554337232_9004c3d468_cPage 2 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554336622_ac85f5aeac_cpage 3 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50553468128_ce4803c44a_cpage 4 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554200661_e6b345c6e8_cPage 5 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554200056_db1234db39_cPage 6 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554334322_61b55bf980_cPage 7 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554333812_80e5f66344_cPage 8 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50553465218_e2a624a530_cpage 9 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50553464743_8c537513a5_cpage 10 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50553464113_15960128d8_cPage 11 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50554196676_59f54da1b6_cPage 12 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50553542858_f2d891b8c2_cPage 13 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50524031257_b00198ec24_cSIMON Treaty Documents (1) by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50523137173_7c4e8b8452_cSIMON Treaty Documents (2) by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50524031032_236d187008_cSIMON Treaty Documents (3) by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

What prompted us to do are a number of threads on the AMMO site that were designed to get other members to participate on their own.  I've tried, so far without much success to get something similar going here because the results were just so outright hilarious and creative that it was well worth the effort. There really are some creative and very comedic minds out there.  So Dal and I decided we would try to push the concept a little further and work on some joint projects, and these all went very smoothly and we liked the results, and so once again, I bring the concept here, in the hopes that the idea generates some interest.  

Anyone wanting to know more about how merge our universes and concepts into one, or the exact mechanics of how we did this, either send a PM to myself or BAMComix, or better still, post your questions here. Wanna know how you can participate even if you can't create speech balloons for your pics? No problem!  Just ask us!  Want to join the SIMON Treaty?  (it really doesn't commit you to anything) No problem.  Just tell Dal (BAMComix) and I'm sure he'll add your command to the treaty.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ambitious and elaborate. Although by now some of these settings and characters have become familiar, you have created a cool story and repartee, along with realistic poses and amusing injections of humor. The attached images of the SIMON Treaty are a very nice touch and nicely designed, although I would point out that for realism (and pragmatism) you might want to limit the use of italic type to key elements (headings, etc). As for the interactive intent of the project (and your earlier initiatives), in principle that is a great idea, although not everyone's characters of universes might lend themselves readily to this. Moreover, as an established member, you might realize that increased participation in others' threads on your part might result in increased contributions by others in your own.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GubernatorFan wrote:Ambitious and elaborate. Although by now some of these settings and characters have become familiar, you have created a cool story and repartee, along with realistic poses and amusing injections of humor. The attached images of the SIMON Treaty are a very nice touch and nicely designed, although I would point out that for realism (and pragmatism) you might want to limit the use of italic type to key elements (headings, etc). As for the interactive intent of the project (and your earlier initiatives), in principle that is a great idea, although not everyone's characters of universes might lend themselves readily to this. Moreover, as an established member, you might realize that increased participation in others' threads on your part might result in increased contributions by others in your own.

Although the main idea behind the treaty and it's text were mine, it was Dal (BAMComix) who put it into print.  As for interactive participation in people's threads, it's something we do regularly on AMMO, and more often than not, there is a clear invitation to do so.  It's been uproariously funny where we've done it on AMMO, which is a reason I've tried to get something like that going here, knowing that there are tremendously talented kitbashers here, not to mention some good senses of humor.  It's true that when you do this sort of thing, you might have to roll with the punches a bit.  The other thing of course is that we always try to respect the other guy's creations; not just physical but also the structures of their little universes.  Most of threads we've had on AMMO simply involve something like a call for volunteers for a mission or trainees to send to Kimono Station or something like that and the other participating members send a photo or two or five or whatever of their team.  In some more elaborate ones, Kamiko and the Captain Action version of Dr. Evil from the 1960's and / or his minions have been involved in a number of hilarious phone calls back and forth between their HQ's.  Another very funny series includes an number of radio exchanges between Kimono Station and General Dwight Douglas MacCuster (a dead ringer for Patton) and his orderly or Batman, who seems to have a crush on Captain Glynnis Penny-Farthing.  There's a long running gag about the phone ringing with an unwanted interruption whenever Kamiko and Glynnis are about to get intimate.

As to the ambitious and elaborate part, it's not nearly so ambitious and elaborate as you think. None of the collaborations between Dal and I have taken more than a few days to slap together and that's just a questions usually of finding the time to shoot the photos. What it does require is that you follow the the other guy's posts enough to know their characters, but as you've said, many of characters are now familiar. Merging universes? The answer is so simple it blows the mind; focus on what's you have in common and ignore the differences. It seriously works because most of what happens does so in the form of phone conversations or radio exchanges between characters.

Anyway, this concept has worked out well on that forum.  I have doubts about it working here for various reasons, but I thought I would give it one last try.

Ovy

Ovy
It's always great when a collaboration is that productive! Took some time now to read it. 

Maybe I might find the time to contribute something next week, although it might be different from what you might expect, bit we will manage.

I liked that they have to use an APC to deliver the food, and that their speechbubbles used some generic 'Asian' stock font one might find on a menu.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:It's always great when a collaboration is that productive! Took some time now to read it. 

Maybe I might find the time to contribute something next week, although it might be different from what you might expect, bit we will manage.

I liked that they have to use an APC to deliver the food, and that their speechbubbles used some generic 'Asian' stock font one might find on a menu.

The Asian fonts were to denote a Chinese accent.  Your contribution is welcome. The SIMON treaty requires more members, all contributions are welcome.  Perhaps best to start by introducing your team/ HQ and it's capabilities. You have created some fantastic figures, and it would be super cool to have some of them join in the fun.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
A delightful little comic! And a collaboration like that seems like fun way to feel connected with others during pandemic times. Thank you for sharing. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:A delightful little comic! And a collaboration like that seems like fun way to feel connected with others during pandemic times. Thank you for sharing. Smile

You are quite welcome, though some of the references, especially the one to Lilly Tomlin's "Ernestine the operator" from "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In," will only be fully understood by folks who are old enough and familiar with that American TV show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_%26_Martin%27s_Laugh-In

BAMComix

BAMComix
It is a great project to be part of, as Gary says, it can produce some really funny stuff. It is also cool that our little universe's can cross over. I have to say, Gary is a fantastic writer, so making the pictures to fit what he wants is made so much easier.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
BAMComix wrote:It is a great project to be part of, as Gary says, it can produce some really funny stuff. It is also cool that our little universe's can cross over. I have to say, Gary is a fantastic writer, so making the pictures to fit what he wants is made so much easier.

Thanks Dal.  

It might be a good time to post that conversation between Kamiko and Ana Ishikawa, just to prove the point. Very Happy

Join now and get your complementary SIMON ID card.

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50561872817_e8dc543a8b_cKamiko ID by Gary  Menten, on Flickr
Front side

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50561744056_26c4966e2f_cID reverse side by Gary  Menten, on Flickr
Reverse side

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great work on the S.I.M.O.N. card Gary! it's looks terrific!

This was another calibration Gray and I did a while back.

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50515840598_42992b1d79_cShi to K-Troop (1) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50516552136_baa8ff0a06_cShi to K-Troop (2) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50516551526_947063f6d0_cShi to K-Troop (3) by Dal Lee, on Flickr

11Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:19 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
What a cool read, its really cool how you guys collaborated. I really wish more places offered APC delivery.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 1f60e

12Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:21 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
BAMComix wrote:Great work on the S.I.M.O.N. card Gary! it's looks terrific!

This was another calibration Gray and I did a while back.

Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50515840598_42992b1d79_cShi to K-Troop (1) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50516552136_baa8ff0a06_cShi to K-Troop (2) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50516551526_947063f6d0_cShi to K-Troop (3) by Dal Lee, on Flickr

I was hoping you would post the one where they were chatting on the phone. Smile

13Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:23 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:What a cool read, its really cool how you guys collaborated. I really wish more places offered APC delivery.

Thanks, Boo-Bomb. You're Puerto Rican Defense forces are more than welcome to join our alliance, if you are so inclined.

14Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:26 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50538385436_8184e380aa_cTraining Invitation PT02 (1) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50537659108_ef0d866766_cTraining Invitation PT02 (2) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50538383796_ffc25f8a24_cTraining Invitation PT02 (3) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50538528522_3c1d7342ee_cTraining Invitation PT02 (4) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50537657518_a4101132ed_cTraining Invitation PT02 (5) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50538527387_2542549035_cTraining Invitation PT02 (6) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50538381636_23b101ffa0_cTraining Invitation PT02 (7) by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50538381066_34b4907ccb_cTraining Invitation PT02 (Cool by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty 50538380696_31e813e2b9_cTraining Invitation PT02 (9) by Dal Lee, on Flickr

15Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:32 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ah, thanks! There we go!

16Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:34 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Ah, thanks!  There we go!

No problem Gary bounce

17Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:37 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
BAMComix wrote:

No problem Gary bounce

that one is my favorite of our collaborations, even if not quite not the funniest.  You put a lot of work into that one and still, you got it done very quickly once i sent the photos.  I have to catch up to you in comic-book appearance department.  I love the frames where Kamiko or Ana are grinning.

18Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
BAMComix wrote:

No problem Gary bounce

that one is my favorite of our collaborations, even if not quite not the funniest.  You put a lot of work into that one and still, you got it done very quickly once i sent the photos.  I have to catch up to you in comic-book appearance department.  I love the frames where Kamiko or Ana are grinning.

I agree, it was great fun to work on. The smiles were done with faceapp and I use comiclife to put my comics together. It's a fantastic piece of software bounce bounce bounce

19Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm still so impressed with your interiors, BAM, and nice use of faceapp.

20Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:52 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:I'm still so impressed with your interiors, BAM, and nice use of faceapp.

thanks! I was good friends with the late MiskatonicNick, he taught me so much about set building. He was also very patient with someone who nothing! lol!

21Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:12 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:thanks! I was good friends with the late MiskatonicNick, he taught me so much about set building. He was also very patient with someone who nothing! lol!

Then you are continuing a grand and hallowed tradition; he would be proud of you.

22Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:14 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:
BAMComix wrote:thanks! I was good friends with the late MiskatonicNick, he taught me so much about set building. He was also very patient with someone who nothing! lol!

Then you are continuing a grand and hallowed tradition; he would be proud of you.

Thank you so much Very Happy That really means a lot Very Happy

23Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:22 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
BAMComix wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
BAMComix wrote:

No problem Gary bounce

I agree, it was great fun to work on. The smiles were done with faceapp and I use comiclife to put my comics together. It's a fantastic piece of software bounce bounce bounce

I have to look into that Comic Life App. I've been using Photoshop , which I suppose works and which I use all the time, but was not designed for the express purpose of creating comics

24Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:26 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
BAMComix wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
BAMComix wrote:

No problem Gary bounce

I have to look into that Comic Life App.  I've been using Photoshop , which I suppose works and which I use all the time, but was not designed for the express purpose of creating comics

Comic life is great! it's download only. It's easy to find, just type comiclife into google. It's around £30 I think? but, you can get a months free trial

25Collaborative Project:  The SIMON Treaty Empty Re: Collaborative Project: The SIMON Treaty Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:48 pm

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
BAMComix wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
BAMComix wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
BAMComix wrote:

No problem Gary bounce

I have to look into that Comic Life App.  I've been using Photoshop , which I suppose works and which I use all the time, but was not designed for the express purpose of creating comics

Comic life is great! it's download only. It's easy to find, just type comiclife into google. It's around £30 I think? but, you can get a months free trial

Oh it's available on the Mac App store. I've checked already. I use a Mac, though it's due for replacement, being 8 years old now. I think you do pretty much everything in your comics using Photoshop, but since Photoshop wasn't designed with such specific purpose in mind, it is much more cumbersome ( I suspect) to produce comics with it. I really do like the comic book look and feel you've brought to your comics...it really adds punch to the appearance if not the script. Comics are visual and so the aesthetic is critically important.

I have sooo much to do to catch up with you! It's almost depressing Build better sets, beef up Erika's forces. Even yesterday, I though of a new super villain to try to create, inspired by the comic character Virman Vunderbar. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virman_Vundabar

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum