OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

History of Artillery-- 17th century

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:24 am

Ovy

Finally I know why they make wheels like that!

Great band of troublemakers in believable scale environment, very interesting and unique looking headsculpts.

The zealous archer looks great indeed,
what kind of bendable wood and thread did you use for the bow? Haven't tried yet to make a flexible bow, only fake ones with elastic thread, but shooting stances look wrong with those. Afraid drawing might destroy them immediately, haha. Also not sure if the hands could hold the string in position.

Does the crossbow work too?

22History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 am

GregT

thank you, Boo, I've long admired your historical post here--
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2188-military-forces-of-spanish-colonial-puerto-rico?highlight=puerto+rico+spanish
(man, the Spanish sure got around, and the Portuguese empire from 1415 to the handover of
Macau in 1999)

Ovy, if memory serves the bow is from Ignite Viking, supple plastic but I put a stretchy string
on it so I get an almost believable draw. yeah the crossbow works...sorta... if I replaced the
weak plastic bowstave with a piece of metal I'd probably put my eye out

23History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:54 am

Stryker2011

Founding Father
GregT wrote:...if I replaced the
weak plastic bowstave with a piece of metal I'd probably put my eye out

History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Giphy

24History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:58 am

skywalkersaga

Stunning work, GregT! I love to see medieval figures that were obviously put together with such care. Love all of them. Their outfits are wonderful, and the weathering is excellent. You used such interesting sculpts for them as well. Who is the rugged looking fellow iwth the crossbow? And the blond guy... is that a Heath Ledger sculpt? And did you re-hair him?

Those outdoor shots are spectacular!

25History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:34 am

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:Stunning work, GregT! I love to see medieval figures that were obviously put together with such care. Love all of them. Their outfits are wonderful, and the weathering is excellent. You used such interesting sculpts for them as well. Who is the rugged looking fellow iwth the crossbow? And the blond guy... is that a Heath Ledger sculpt? And did you re-hair him?

Those outdoor shots are spectacular!

Yeah thought so too, looks like the omnipresent Joker ledger but with healed cuts, making him look healthy.

26History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:37 am

GregT

ohhh, Stryker, you read my mind!

skywalkersaga wrote: ...who is the rugged looking fellow with the crossbow? And the blond guy... is that a Heath Ledger sculpt? And did you re-hair him?
blond guy is the Coomodel Order du Temple knight, not re-haired, (I experiment with the hair thing but always panic when it comes time to make it permanent!),
crossbowman sculpt is from the early days of DML, excellent repaint by someone more than ten years ago..... thanks for your kind comments, Sky!

27History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:41 am

GregT

Tenochtitlan, 1521
Allied with Tlaxcaltec warriors, gunpowder, and smallpox Hernan Cortes laid siege
to the Aztec capital in small, hastily constructed ships armed with cannon.
Three months later the last great Mesoamerican civilization had come to an end.
History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 IMG_8950

the conquistador outfit is another creation of my late mother, the sword is from John Carter of Mars,
the background cannon was a rare garage sale find, I put the cannon deck together myself
and made the carriage of the foreground falconet based on this pic--
History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 HalfMoonFalconet_1_

History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 IMG_8887(1)

(if you're a fan of Werner Herzog films, "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" is a must see)

edit: well, I'd not seen this before--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zRGAXTlT8
yikes!

28History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:59 am

Ovy

Ovy
Wow, your mum really brought such beautiful things to life, she made that million pearl dress too, if I remember correctly?

But the history behind it all...so depressing. Small pox indeed. And he probably was not the nicest guy out there.

Btw, did you ever come across a 1/6 Morion? The only one I ever saw was from a Swiss Vatican Guard set. My brother is in the process of 3d printing some for a friend.

29History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:12 am

GregT

Ovy wrote:...did you ever come across a 1/6 Morion?

I have one that's, how shall I say.... toyish.
and one that's very, very nice. I'll post a pic if you like

30History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:04 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is another impressive display. What a great thing your mom made for you.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 C8485110

31History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:00 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The conquistador outfit is amazing. And so is the rest of your scene, including your own work.

32History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:30 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That is a beautiful creation by your mom! I love you

And thanks for explaining about the headsculpt -- I guess that was from before my time (I've only been in the hobby a few years). Would have definitely snapped it up otherwise! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

33History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:47 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:And thanks for explaining about the headsculpt -- I guess that was from before my time (I've only been in the hobby a few years). Would have definitely snapped it up otherwise! Smile

I came across this one recently. I thought it might be inspired by Heath Ledger's character in A Knight's Tale. Of course, it is possible it is, even if applied to a (supposedly) Templar knight set.

34History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:16 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:And thanks for explaining about the headsculpt -- I guess that was from before my time (I've only been in the hobby a few years). Would have definitely snapped it up otherwise! Smile

I came across this one recently. I thought it might be inspired by Heath Ledger's character in A Knight's Tale. Of course, it is possible it is, even if applied to a (supposedly) Templar knight set.

That was my guess too. Smile

35History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:16 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
GubernatorFan wrote:

Quiet possible. The first coomodel knight had the head of Sean Connery, probably isnpired by the movie "the first knight" which is quiet fitting. Which was also MY first figure haha Very Happy so many firsts.
I skipped on the Ledger knight character back than...

For the pics: Your characters are really nice! I love them, so many realistic outfits and not the fantasy style you normally get when buying stuff. Great to see one other user here having interest in this. (I also have some plans in the near future)

So good.

36History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:26 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:
Great to see one other user here having interest in this. (I also have some plans in the near future)

You are definitely not the only one with an interest in this kind of figure -- I just have limited funds/time/space to delve into it at this time. But I'm a medievalist at heart and for now I enjoy seeing others' works! :')

37History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:12 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
skywalkersaga wrote:
Valiarde wrote:
Great to see one other user here having interest in this. (I also have some plans in the near future)

You are definitely not the only one with an interest in this kind of figure -- I just have limited funds/time/space to delve into it at this time. But I'm a medievalist at heart and for now I enjoy seeing others' works! :')

You seem to like all knights, even the skyknights of the Jedi order Smile Good to know having some medieval interested people here

38History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:52 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’m also one of those interested in all things Medieval, but I just can’t possibly get into another genre financially at this time. I’m waiting on some stuff so I can delve into the Old West period (a period in American History that my wife says I should have been born in) — and that is going to get costly as all get out.

39History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:01 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:

You seem to like all knights, even the skyknights of the Jedi order Smile  Good to know having some medieval interested people here

Indeed! :') I would love to do some proper historical stuff, and have many ideas for the future. Along with some medieval fantasy-inspired figures for which I've been slowly collecting parts for a while now.

And Stryker -- I can imagine that will be rather pricey, though I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. : )

(Apologies to GregT for the thread derailment.. ;p )

40History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:43 am

Ovy

Ovy
GregT wrote:

Intresting, if you find the time, feel free to post them here.

41History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:24 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:
GregT wrote:

Intresting, if you find the time, feel free to post them here.

I second that.

42History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:04 am

GregT

Mixing cultures with Samurai and a (captured?) Chinese cannon
History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 IMG_8960

The Bai Zi Fo Lang Ji diagram here shows the type of gun carriage Kong Ling Ge might have based their 1/6 model on--
https://greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/04/breech-loading-cannons-of-ming-dynasty.html
(notice the term "hundred bullet Frankish engine")

from author Tonio Andrade--
https://brill.com/view/journals/jemh/19/4/article-p311_2.xml
"...the rapid adoption of western artillery may have started around the time of the Sino-Portuguese Conflict,
but it continued through the ensuing decades, as the Ming redesigned Portuguese-style guns and adapted
them to their own needs until the only thing western about them was their name: Frankish guns."
History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Kong_Ling_Ge_cannon

This piece is most probably the kind of cannon they patterned the tube on
History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 ERGEgZs6xe2JeydTxccRFv4qRtNcCtJ9Tps7GUFsOSc_1_

This is an interesting website--
http://dragonsarmory.blogspot.com/2017/04/death-from-above-rocket-wagons.html

The figures are DiD Hideyoshi and Masamune, just beautiful and very heavy
History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 IMG_8952

43History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:22 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another gorgeous bunch!

44History of Artillery-- 17th century - Page 2 Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:41 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is so cool. And your research and sources really paid off. Well done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum