OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This first post is about the Jiaou Doll Strong Male Body (12D); comparisons with all three Jiaou Doll male bodies in Post 27 below; additional comparisons in Post 70 below; new Jiaou Doll Male Body (17A) and comparisons in Post 78 below; all four Jiaou Doll male bodies compared below HERE.

Since there has been much discussion, on and off, about the skintone, body shape, durability, and articulation of Jiaou Doll bodies, and since I had a couple of 12D bodies lying around that I hadn't done much with, I thought I'd do a short comparison review. As it happened, (at first) I only had TBLeague's most massive body, M35, handy without being fully kitted-up at the moment, so the comparison is not going to be necessarily fair -- except insofar as comparing the most muscular male Jiaou Body with the most muscular male TBLeague body. The specific Jiaou Doll bodies shown here are JOK-12D-BS and JOK-12D-PS (the product number is sometimes also broken down as JO-K12D- etc.).

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm010

Obviously, M35 is more muscular by far than the 12D bodies. M35 is also an example of the usual male "suntan" skintone used by TBLeague, which is darker than Jiaou's male "wheaten" skintone (on 12D-BS) and warmer than Jiaou's "black" or "dark" skintone (on 12D-PS). Yes, the description is hard to believe. In most aspects of articulation M35 and 12D are comparable, but this is in part due to M35's muscles keeping it from reaching the slightly fuller range of articulation possible with TBLeague bodies. Keep in mind that while you can press and hold these bodies into more stretched/bent poses, what you see in the photos are the poses they can actually hold on their own.

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm011

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm012

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm013

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm014

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm015

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm016

A closer comparison to Jiaou's 12D body would be TBLeague's very first seamless male body, M30. I managed to dig up an M30 eventually, and added it with a few more comparison shots. M30 is notoriously short and a greyish sort of pale. The skintone makes it somewhat comparable to Jiaou's 12D-PS (of all things!), although if Jiaou was inspired by M30, it fixed the issue with the height. While some of the musculature is comparable, M30 is still more muscular, if slightly less defined, after all (look at the biceps, from the side). Being less muscular than M35, M30 can reach a slightly fuller range of articulation (the leaner bodies, M31, M32, M33 can do even more).

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm017

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm018

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm110

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Jdtbm111

Apart from being more muscular than their previous versions, the 12D bodies have slightly improved the shape of the seamless legs -- previously they looked to me like they were wearing leg-shaped pants over the actual legs. This is a little better now, but another problem persists: Jiaou Doll male bodies still look to me like they have wide, child-bearing hips.

This is not a full review, but in terms of accessories (not shown above), you would have the following:
TBLeague male bodies typically come with a total of 3 swappable pairs of hands (usually fists, relaxed hands, and grip hands), 1 pair of swappable feet, and 2-3 swappable pieces of genitalia (but 0 in the case of M31); some models had trunks or underwear and other pieces of clothing to cover wrists and ankles (except M30, M31, M35, M36); the hands tend to be relatively soft plastic that is easy to bend as needed;
Jiaou Doll male bodies typically come with a total of 4 swappable pairs of hands (fists, relaxed hands, knife grip hands, gun grip hands), 2 swappable pairs of feet (flat and slightly bent toes for walking -- not used above), and 5 swappable pieces of genitalia (not counting the tiny molded part on the body); some models had underwear and other pieces of clothing to cover wrists and ankles; there is a plastic display stand -- all of this is the case with 12D; the hands tend to be relatively hard pieces of plastic with less in the way of individual finger sculpting.

I hope this has been helpful. What do you think?

There are plenty of threads where we have used TBLeague bodies. For more on M35, you can check out the massive review HERE; I used an M30 for my first custom Darth Maul, HERE. And, of course, there are always the reference photos for all of those in the TBLeague seamless body catalog, HERE.

This first post is about the Jiaou Doll Strong Male Body (12D); comparisons with all three Jiaou Doll male bodies in Post 27 below; additional comparisons in Post 70 below; new Jiaou Doll Male Body (17A) and comparisons in Post 78 below; all four male Jiaou Doll bodies compared below HERE.

#productreview #jiaoudoll #tbleague #phicen #male #body #comparison #muscular

Gizems nice Kittens

Gizems nice Kittens
Great review, you see him from all sides. Isn't it the case that the male figures don't show anything at first in the front view?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Gizems nice Kittens wrote:Great review, you see him from all sides. Isn't it the case that the male figures don't show anything at first in the front view?

Thank you very much, glad you liked it or found it useful.

If you mean to ask whether they come fully anatomically correct, it varies. They are -- or have the potential to be. Phicen/TBLeague male figures that are sold by themselves (not as part of boxed character sets) come with attachable pieces to make them anatomically correct (except for the unfortunate -- in other ways too -- M31). Jiaou ones have a tiny piece that is already part of the molded shape of the body, over which the other ones they include can fit. My digital censorship stickers obscure what little is there (for Jiaou) and what is not there (for TBLeague, since there was no point bothering to attach it if I was just going to censor it out anyway). Apart from World Box, I do think other sixth-scale male figure lines (except for the occasional one-off product like ADD Toys muscle "War Wolves Back") are all anatomically incomplete. Or maybe you were making a joke, in which case sorry for the super-abundance of information. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great review. I have to say, I'm not really all that impressed with these bodies -- the thighs especially look... odd... from the front.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 C8485110

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thx for the review, its info like this that keeps me from making a "bad" purchase. usually the sites that sell the bodies, understandably enough, show them from their best angles, omitting some of the flaws.

i am guilty of more often than not buying a body for a kitbash here and there or upgrading an existing figure and ending up disappointed by the item in question.
the factor that "breaks" the deal for me here are the pecs followed by the upper thighs and glutes. it might sound strange but it looks oddly feminine to me.
something about the shape of the hip and roundness looks quite contrary to the v-tape you might expect in a muscular male body.
lower half, truth be told, you could put on a street fighter chun li body(minus the genitalia obviously) and none would be the wiser Wink

depending on the price it could pass for a figure where knees and elbows are visible and the rest covered by cloth, maybe and africa korps soldier or something like that.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
I recently managed to get hold of a Jiaou 10 series male body (two steps back from the 12 series above), and these have been recently 'rebooted' to utilise metal joint pegs. It's altogether slimmer than the somewhat overdeveloped 12 and is being marketed as a 'young body' (although I don't think that's particularly accurate either).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0eEAAOSwbZxfCB5i/s-l500.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nOYAAOSwU0FfCB5l/s-l500.jpg

For some reason they've mixed up BS and PS in the illustration above.

I got the BS or 'wheat' version in the middle, and while the above is a reasonably accurate representation of the usual in hand colours of the 11 and 12 series, my BS10 is noticably pinker/redder than usual (which happily is actually a good match for some DamToys/GAC Toys sculpts).

I don't know if this skintone variant is a fluke or not but it's nothing too upsetting, and I'm pleased that the 10 series seems to be a more realistic 'average' type than their other models.

When I can get to my camera (probably at the weekend) I'll post a few comparison pics of my new 10 with an 11 and a 12.

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the detailed review! I kinda like the tbleague proportions better. I agree, some weird hip proportions happening for the Jiaou 12.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for taking the time to make the review, GF. I was a bit dubious about the lower half of the body on these from the promo pics, and this confirms my suspicions. The top half is ok....but the bottom half looks rather bizarre. As others have noted, they seem to have idk... skipped the whole hip and pelvis area and just tacked on the legs... which are themselves oddly shaped and proportioned. The thighs seem too long? for the body.

I think ultimately these bodies would probably look better when at least the bottom half is clothed... Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Great review. I have to say, I'm not really all that impressed with these bodies -- the thighs especially look... odd... from the front.

Thank you very much. Yep, Jiaou still hasn't fixed that part of their design.

Tjolnir wrote:thx for the review, its info like this that keeps me from making a "bad" purchase. usually the sites that sell the bodies, understandably enough, show them from their best angles, omitting some of the flaws.

the factor that "breaks" the deal for me here are the pecs followed by the upper thighs and glutes. it might sound strange but it looks oddly feminine to me.
something about the shape of the hip and roundness looks quite contrary to the v-tape you might expect in a muscular male body.
lower half, truth be told, you could put on a street fighter chun li body(minus the genitalia obviously) and none would be the wiser Wink

Really, Chun Li is that masculine in her legs? Smile I don't think they are that feminine here (and I think they are a definite improvement on the more poorly sculpted earlier ones), but those Jiaou hips (and perhaps the derriere) do make it look a little feminine. The bulking up of muscles on thighs might have sent the TBLeague bodies in the same direction, but they managed to keep that particular area a little narrower and to give it the correct curve.

GeeWillikers wrote:I recently managed to get hold of a Jiaou 10 series male body (two steps back from the 12 series above), and these have been recently 'rebooted' to utilise metal joint pegs. It's altogether slimmer than the somewhat overdeveloped 12 and is being marketed as a 'young body' (although I don't think that's particularly accurate either).

I got the BS or 'wheat' version in the middle, and while the above is a reasonably accurate representation of the usual in hand colours of the 11 and 12 series, my BS10 is noticably pinker/redder than usual (which happily is actually a good match for some DamToys/GAC Toys sculpts).

I don't know if this skintone variant is a fluke or not but it's nothing too upsetting, and I'm pleased that the 10 series seems to be a more realistic 'average' type than their other models.

When I can get to my camera (probably at the weekend) I'll post a few comparison pics of my new 10 with an 11 and a 12.

I got one or two of the "young" or "teen" 10A bodies (which appeared after the 11C bodies), and agree with you that they are more generically average, which can be useful. By the way, the colors on the promotional images are more than usually misleading, and consistently so. When I got my first Jiaou "wheat" body (an 11C) years ago, I thought there was a mistake and that they had sent me a pale one. Looking forward to your photos.

csyeung wrote:Thanks for the detailed review! I kinda like the tbleague proportions better. I agree, some weird hip proportions happening for the Jiaou 12.

You are very welcome. Me too. Which is a pity, as Jiaou bodies offer a slightly different, more slender physique overall, which often would help getting the seamless bodies into clothing. I wonder if the hips are not somehow a byproduct of the mechanism for the articulation. But TBLeague has managed without this "side effect."

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for taking the time to make the review, GF. I was a bit dubious about the lower half of the body on these from the promo pics, and this confirms my suspicions. The top half is ok....but the bottom half looks rather bizarre. As others have noted, they seem to have idk... skipped the whole hip and pelvis area and just tacked on the legs... which are themselves oddly shaped and proportioned. The thighs seem too long? for the body.

I think ultimately these bodies would probably look better when at least the bottom half is clothed... Razz

You are very welcome, Sky. Yep, I also knew the hips and legs would be a little odd, in part from the promotional images, in part from past experience with earlier Jiaou Doll male bodies. But the legs looked a little improved in terms of sculpt, so I got these two. You are totally right, I spotted it while I was posing them but it still didn't quite register -- it is not just the hips, the thighs (I mean upper legs) do look a little disproportionately long. Putting shorts or pants on them should help -- maybe not that much with the hips. There's the advantage -- these should be a little easier to clothe than TBLeague muscle bodies.

Diana

Diana
Very useful, thank you so much!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:Very useful, thank you so much!

Thank you very much, glad you found it useful. That's why I made it. Smile

BAMComix

BAMComix
Cool review! thanks for posting this!

Illusion

Illusion
Thanks for all the work you put into these reviews and comparisons.
I have just been browsing your "Catalog" a bit this morning... it is just so overwhelming... lol...
for now I just stick to the female S17B, S16A and 24/25...

Have not started with any male bodies yet...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Cool review! thanks for posting this!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it.

Illusion wrote:Thanks for all the work you put into these reviews and comparisons. I have just been browsing your "Catalog" a bit this morning... it is just so overwhelming... lol... for now I just stick to the female S17B, S16A and 24/25... Have not started with any male bodies yet...

You're very welcome -- and thank you. Happy browsing the catalog -- it is meant to help, not overwhelm, but I suppose it depends how one approaches it. As for the male bodies, if you want my advice, in brief, generally avoid M31 (various problems) and maybe M30 (too short and grey), otherwise they are all very good, but your needs may vary in terms of musculature, height, etc.

Illusion

Illusion
GubernatorFan wrote:
You're very welcome -- and thank you. Happy browsing the catalog -- it is meant to help, not overwhelm, but I suppose it depends how one approaches it. As for the male bodies, if you want my advice, in brief, generally avoid M31 (various problems) and maybe M30 (too short and grey), otherwise they are all very good, but your needs may vary in terms of musculature, height, etc.

oh, no worries! next time I will consider buying anything else than S16/17/24/25, your catalog and advice will definitely help A LOT !!! Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Illusion wrote:oh, no worries! next time I will consider buying anything else than S16/17/24/25, your catalog and advice will definitely help A LOT !!! Very Happy

I'm happy it is useful, as intended! Thanks.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
So, here is a Jiaou lineup of the three male body types with a TBL M32 for comparison...

L to R: J10, J11, J12 & TBL M32. The Jiaous are all BS or 'wheat' skintone, but each is noticably different. Note how much 'pinker' the J10 is than the other two.

Natural Daylight
Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 DSCN9100
Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 DSCN9103
Flash
Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 DSCN9101
Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 DSCN9102

The 10's legs are slim enough to slip on 1/6 scale jeans with little effort, while the 12 can only wear shorts or baggy jogging pants. The 11 is as you'd expect somewhere inbetween. The TBL M32's legs are skinnier than any of the Jiaous, but it's a very specific body-type that isn't suitable for all occasions.

Saucy candids Censored nudes to follow.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the comparison line-up. They do look better when they are dressed up at least to the waist. And even though the light is not entirely ideal, I can see what you mean by inconsistency in what is supposed to be the same skin tone. I also agree that M32 is both slim and a bit overly specific. It might be very useful for figures that need to wear more clothes, but it does have rather broad shoulders.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Tjolnir wrote: you could put on a street fighter chun li body(minus the genitalia obviously) and none would be the wiser Wink

GubernatorFan wrote: Really, Chun Li is that masculine in her legs? Smile

^ Those two quotes made me LOL for real! She doesn't skip leg day, that's for sure!

Thanks for the review and for making me even happier with my purchase of a M34 recently (my usual measurement details coming tomorrow at the earliest for the catalogue thread). Not gonna lie, the whole sculpt for the Jiaou male bodies is just, off putting to me. It is like they did some things right and a whole lot wrong.

That being said...I had to make this meme:
Jiaou Doll Male Bodies (10A, 11C, 12D, 17A) with TBLeague (M30, M31, M32, M33, M35) comparisons, Updated 8 February 2024 Meme10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL Yes, that is one where some of the oddness of the proportions shows most drastically. One of my photos has been made a meme? I feel like I have really arrived! Smile

ZombieTestSubject

Thanks guys for the review and comparisons. It's really not that bad, tho some parts are kinda too rounded and I agree the TBL bodies are better.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for that comparison line-up, GeeW. Definitely helpful to see them partially clothed. I think my fave of the Jiaou's in that pic is actually the first one... the J10. Is that body still available? (Sorry to be out of it, I can't keep up with this stuff anymore...)

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for that comparison line-up, GeeW. Definitely helpful to see them partially clothed. I think my fave of the Jiaou's in that pic is actually the first one... the J10. Is that body still available? (Sorry to be out of it, I can't keep up with this stuff anymore...)

The upgraded version of the J10 is actually the 'newest' of the three male Jbodies (not counting the 'new' four colour-option J12, which doesn't seem to be released yet - the currently available J12s are three colours only). The J10s are all over Ebay and AliExpress at the moment, although as few sellers seem to know or care about the model numbers you need to be absolutely certain which one you're getting before you buy. GianToy don't seem to be selling them at all unfortunately (I might drop them an email and ask if they intend doing so).

I think the J10 is my favourite too right now, even over the TBLs. It's still muscular but a more realistic, average, and easier to clothe shape. TBL generally has the advantage in terms of durability and posability, but Jiaou seem to be catching up there too if their newest J10 male and JQ female bodies are anything to judge by - both bodies seem like a significant step up in design and manufacture (only time will tell on that last point I suppose as in my experience the J bodies tend to deteriorate quickly).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks again for clarifying! I'm definitely interested in that one, as I think it could be useful. Is the 'black/grey' skintone the one that compares most to the male tbleague skintone? While I prefer the suntan as it's warmer and seems a bit more realistic, it would be good to be able to match certain heads to it...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum