OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:13 pm

SixthShooter

Photos removed by Poster... So Long and Thanks for the Fish...

2VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:14 am

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
You should turn off the big overhead light and keep the model ones on for the full effect. Really like everything you have here. Great job!

3VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:21 am

SixthShooter

Everyone's a Critic... ;-)

Actually it's a balance with what light I need for my poor iPhone 5 camera to be able to see, to maintain focus. And if one thinks about it, when a Bar is closed, as VooDoo is in the photos, it's pretty normal to have the 'house' lights up. Easier for the cleaners.

4VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:27 am

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
Maybe it wasn't your intent, it's just when I look at your scene this is what my mind jumps to when I think of a club or bar. Dark as (censored) with those colored spot lights lighting things up in cool ways.

VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  2de02510

5VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 am

SixthShooter

Well I'd say that's my last post on here... I'd like to see you do better.

6VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:31 am

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
It wasn't my intent to insult your work I'm really sorry. I was just trying to share my personal tastes but maybe I worded it wrong. I've been told taking photographs in dark lighting is not ideal so I totally understand your choice to brighten up the scene. Please don't be discouraged  VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  1f625

7VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:41 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Sorry to see the photos removed, I didn't even get a chance to view them. Hope you'll be back to post more!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:47 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What happened? I didn't get a chance to see anything either. Please don't get discouraged so easily, and take a chance to repost what you had done. Give more folks a chance to see your work and offer constructive criticism or praise.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  C8485110

9VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
Stryker2011 wrote:What happened? I didn't get a chance to see anything either. Please don't get discouraged so easily, and take a chance to repost what you had done. Give more folks a chance to see your work and offer constructive criticism or praise.

It was a very well done and detailed blues bar, the walls, furniture, and props were all really well done, he clearly put a lot of hard work into it and it shows. Even had colored spotlights and everything. I was trying to find out what it would look like without the big overhead light illuminating the entire set because imo would look moodier, more familiar to what I've seen before. I didn't mean to upset the guy  VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  1f614

10VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:45 pm

SixthShooter

Critic's happened. I'm fine posting on my other sites where people are less judgy and cliquey than on here. I was new and hoped I'd find a place to hang my 1/6 hat, testing the waters so to speak, and feel my efforts would be appreciated more elsewhere. I've heard mixed reviews as far a OSF goes, most negative, and it seem those were well informed. I've requested this account be deleted.

Best

11VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Wow, overreacting much? Nobody said anything nasty, and most like myself would really like to see the finished diorama! Sad

12VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:31 pm

SixthShooter

Wrong comment at the wrong time, in stressful times. I like what I've accomplished and at the end of the day, only need to impress myself, and others opinions, though considered and respected, reflect  their own opinions, and not mine.  As I said before, It was my first post on here, and mostly to see how I fit with OSF. After the initial negative reply, I simply felt I was better off elsewhere. At the end of the day, my choice. You can see the project on MWD or AMMO, if you like. The photos on there are the same I posted on here, and represent progress, not the finished Diorama, which is still a work in progress. I only posted three, but had many others including the Bar lit and with figures in place as test shots.

Since you asked, Here's an early one of the Diorama with a few figures as a test shot.

VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  MLREV4T

13VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 pm

SixthShooter

Now, if I can only get the Admins to Delete my account as requested, I can move on, as should you. I will not respond to any other replies.

Cheers

14VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
First of all -- that's a very well-made diorama! It certainly seems to fit right in with this forum. I can only imagine the amount of work that went into it! Would also be curious to know more details about the components and how they were put together, where some of the furniture came from, etc. Do you want to share a bit about your process? I'm sure we'd all be interested to know how you made it. Likewise, it would be great to see further close-up shots. : )

Regarding the rest --- I hope the OP will understand that this forum isn't a monolith, new members join every day, and everyone expresses themselves differently. The poster who first replied is themselves a fairly new member, and I'm sure they meant no harm whatsoever. That said, their response is in no way a complete picture or full representation of the site, either. Everyone has their own commenting styles -- some may leap to critiquing various details or whatever jumps out at them straight away, some mostly give praise, some are in-between. The members and mods of this site also live across the world in many different timezones, so not everyone can respond straight away.

There has been a very helpful, supportive, and encouraging environment on this forum ever since it was first founded. It's incredibly unfair to judge an entire site by a single interaction (which, in my opinion, was not even an intentionally 'negative' one). Especially because, from my experience, there are plenty of other 1/6 forums that have much harsher and far more judgemental 'critics' than this one.

Hope you'll give it a chance. Thanks again for sharing your very impressive diorama here.

15VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:41 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, I’m glad you decided to post it. That looks super impressive. I for one would like to see more (I’m not on either of the other sites you mentioned, though I am well aware of them).

Please take a moment to take a step back and reconsider your initial impressions of OSF — we’re a fairly diverse crowd here, with varying levels of skill and interests. We’re not all going to get along at all times, but we do try to be civil to each other. The past year has been hard on all of us, and fuses may be short, but we can all learn to take a few moments to be more understanding and not jump to conclusions as to intent of comments, whether implied or direct.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  C8485110

16VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:45 pm

SixthShooter

Thanks for your comments, but all the same. ;-)

17VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:52 pm

SixthShooter

And... it does look better lit up, if he'd given one a chance to post newer photos...

VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  XKTrmIL

;-)

18VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I saw your request and finally managed to locate the "offending" posts. It seems to me that you have taken this in a way it was not intended, and your (singular) "critic" actually stated he liked everything you had shown. Now that you posted it, I agree, it looks excellent. And I appreciate being able to see the impressive detail and complexity of the diorama. I think the comment was intended as constructive criticism/suggestion, and I certainly don't see how this translates to the comment about "other sites where people are less judgy and cliquey than on here." Given this statement, I wonder who should be offended. We are sorry this venue does not appear a good fit to you and will deactivate your account as you requested.

SixthShooter wrote:Critic's happened. I'm fine posting on my other sites where people are less judgy and cliquey than on here. I was new and hoped I'd find a place to hang my 1/6 hat, testing the waters so to speak, and feel my efforts would be appreciated more elsewhere. I've heard mixed reviews as far a OSF goes, most negative, and it seem those were well informed. I've requested this account be deleted. Best

19VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:00 pm

SixthShooter

Thank you, appreciate it.

20VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:04 pm

SixthShooter

I think these projects become our 'children' and we react to defend them. Over ten years to get it where it is, I hope you understand...

21VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:17 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
This is an absolutely beautiful diorama - truly one of the best I’ve ever seen and I’m sad that I won’t get to see more as I’m not on any of the other forums. Sad

I honestly think it’s your loss - this is by far the friendliest, most supportive 1/6th scale forum I’ve ever been in.

22VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:17 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Lynkhart wrote:I honestly think it’s your loss - this is by far the friendliest, most supportive 1/6th scale forum I’ve ever been in.

At his own request, SixthShooter's account was deactivated. I feel much as you do, and thank you for your kind words. I'm happy to have contributed to making this a friendly place.

23VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:50 am

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Well, that is a massive diorama for sure, and obviously a lot of time went into it as well as the figures themselves. I also would have liked to see more from you based on this incredibly ambitious sample of your talent, but it seems you are going through something of a difficult time in the real world, whatever it may be. I too have been there recently and instead of lashing out, I reached out to the community here to explain my situation and they were very supportive and understanding. I hope you are able to find peace and stability somehow, and maybe one day you will come back to share your creations.

SixthShooter wrote:Wrong comment at the wrong time, in stressful times. I like what I've accomplished and at the end of the day, only need to impress myself, and others opinions, though considered and respected, reflect  their own opinions, and not mine.  As I said before, It was my first post on here, and mostly to see how I fit with OSF. After the initial negative reply, I simply felt I was better off elsewhere. At the end of the day, my choice.

Although...my biggest question is: if you 'only need to impress yourself,' why bother posting here in the first place? Ask yourself that, honestly. Or any online forum for that matter? May as well just hold your creations in a mirror and enjoy, right? You've seen the 'nice' that others attempted, but your attitude screams of arrogance and the search for some kind of grand flawless approval. Surely you know there is a whole global community who expresses their varying opinions on these online forums. A single response to a work of art does not claim its overall value. There is a whole hundred full of people who would adore your work if given the chance.

24VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:13 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
AlkelAstra -- that's such a thoughtful and compassionate response. I wish the same for the OP. <3

Lynkhart -- Agree, would have loved to have seen more. Especially would have liked to get to know the characters in the diorama.

Since the subject has come up, I will say that I am quite a sensitive person myself, so I can certainly understand feeling protective of one's work. In fact, that is one of the reasons I haven't shared anything I'm working on for a while -- I've been going through a rough time in RL life and have not felt emotionally prepared to make myself vulnerable in that way. There's always a vulnerability when you put something 'out there' on the internet, whether it be a piece of writing or a 1/6 scale project. Many of us here are artist types, and no doubt emotionally attached to our work in some way, whether it be due to the subject matter or the amount of time spent on it. A suggestion I have is that if anyone wants to share their work but is nervous because of how much their project means to them personally, just be upfront about that from the start. Put a disclaimer saying that you're sharing a completely finished piece and not necessarily looking for critique at this time. We can't read each other's minds and I wouldn't expect anyone to read mine. I've put disclaimers on posts before, asking people to focus solely on the figures and not make comments on the subject matter, and it seems to work.

25VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar...  Empty Re: VooDoo, A 1/6 Blues Bar... Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:34 am

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
That's a very nice diorama. I see there's another girlband in there.
I'm sorry to see you go.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum