OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

BAMComix

I think it looks really good, and aren't weapons meant to be used and beat up a bit? You have done a heck of a lot better than I could have done bounce bounce

Chip

Those look really good too me too .

Ovy

Tjolnir wrote:nah, nothing sloppy about it. after so many episodes of forged in fire, the only verdict that's important to me is doug marcaida's "it will keel" Wink
who's going for looks when smashing heads? tried to build a fantasy axe once using fimo and was actually quite pleased with how the upper side turned out. only to notice stupid me put it flat on the table, so no symmetry there Smile thats what i'd call sloppy.
Do you still have the axe?
You could sharpen it with a knife and sand it until both sides look the same.

Haha and I guess Forged in fire is kind of a big thing? I only discovered it recently when I was researching for another historical fantasy weapon, was surprised they had Donny Trejo there to kill zombie puppet with a Ji. Which was kinda cool. But while you can learn something from it, it was a bit too loud and dumb for my tastes, haha. At the moment I prefer these no music armor and weapon smithing videos that get right to the point.

GubernatorFan wrote:Ok, I still hold that it is a most impressive piece, and painting the elements before putting it together was the right call. Smart using light-weight elements, too. Among the many questions circling in my head, I would like to know:
1. Can you design a steampunk version of Baxter with something like your warhammer functioning as his head?
2. More about Valiarde's styrodur brick method, etc.
1. I  will see what I can do but it might only be a sketch, you will have to build it yourself after that
2. Well he is cutting bricks out of a stryrofoam plate and turning them into walls. Like in the pig and the Tom Hardy thread. He said he might post a tutorial one day.

shazzdan wrote:
Ovy wrote:
Thanks shazz, also for that trivia!

Here is what I used:

Handle was carved/sanded out of a basket willow stick. The head and spike were roughly made from polymer clay with the intention to carve and sand them later. I made multiple and finally chose the one on the lower right.

Nice one, thanks for sharing. These progress pics need to be in the Tutorial section.

GubernatorFan wrote:

Yes please.
Thanks, yeah I think I might put it there, maybe a collective weapon building thread as I am not done with making weapons.

csyeung wrote:Whoa, those look really awesome!
Thanks a lot!

Lynkhart wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:
1. Can you design a steampunk version of Baxter with something like your warhammer functioning as his head?

Omg I love this idea!  [5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 1f60d You’d have to name him ‘Axter’ though. XD
Like, Axter the Axterterrestrial?  (AT-AT)

GubernatorFan wrote:
Lynkhart wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Omg I love this idea!  [5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 1f60d You’d have to name him ‘Axter’ though. XD

LOL That is a brilliant idea. Even Ovy can't think of an alternative now! Smile
What about 'Beakster'?

TravelGuide wrote:
Ovy wrote:
Well the photos are good, but the handle is not straight but somehow too curved and the small rectangular metal plates are not parallel to the handle. Also the beak was too high, so I cut it out and placed it lower. I know it's a bit picky but I also know I could have made it better with more preparation.
Although my initial reaction was "looks really good," upon closer inspection I did notice the flaws. Still looks good though.

Stryker2011 wrote:That is really impressive. I honestly thought you had the "metal" pieces 3D printed.
I thought the same.
Thanks! Yeah there is always the danger of printing too much stuff you could actually make yourself with using your hands and tools.  Don't want to lose my edge haha. Also liked the organic look.
(And try finding a 'war hammer' 3d model when at the same time the most popular tabletop game is called 'warhammer' and 3d printing is a big thing in the tabletop scene...)

skywalkersaga wrote:Gorgeous work, Ovy. That is one sexy and deadly looking hammer. I know I already told you this, but still.... deserves saying again. Wink My eyesight is not good at the moment (need to get it checked out, actually), so a lot of the 'messed up' finer details are escaping me completely. All I see is awesome. :'D

The process itself is meticulously done. I see nothing sloppy about it. In fact, you have far more patience for this stuff than I do, for sure.

You remind me that I need to experiment more with sculpey. Most of the air-drying sculpting materials I have tried are far too messy for my tastes, so perhaps the oven baking ones will be more suited to my style.

Also, which metal colour paint(s) did you use for these? I'm always curious about stuff like that.
Thanks a lot!
Yeah give polymer clay some more tries. If you don't bake it too long it will also remain a bit flekkusible.

Well and you probably can guess it, I used Vallejo Gun Metal! <3 And tiny highlights with Duraluminum.

BAMComix wrote:I think it looks really good, and aren't weapons meant to be used and beat up a bit? You have done a heck of a lot better than I could have done bounce bounce
Thanks a lot! And yeah,  you don't sharpen a blunt weapon.

Chip wrote:Those look really good too me too .
Thanks

I also finished a Polearm/Dagger-axe weapon recently, I think I will put it in this thread and not start a new one. Still have tontake some photos.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Ovy wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:1. Can you design a steampunk version of Baxter with something like your warhammer functioning as his head?
1. I  will see what I can do but it might only be a sketch, you will have to build it yourself after that
2. Well he is cutting bricks out of a stryrofoam plate and turning them into walls. Like in the pig and the Tom Hardy thread. He said he might post a tutorial one day.

Like, Axter the Axterterrestrial?  (AT-AT) What about 'Beakster'?

Funny, I have always thought AT-AT resembling a cross between dogs and camels. Actually, now that you mention it, it will be great if you designed two varieties ("species"), an Axter and a Beakster!

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

25[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 Empty Historical fantasy weapons: Dagger-Axe Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Well you have to wait a bit but I invite everyone do draw/make some Beaksters and Axters.

Dagger Axe:

Speaking of Axe,
here is the Ji I mentioned. I called it dagger-axe in the title, but that would be a Ge, without the spear tip. A Ge/dagger axe + spear tip = Ji.
But this particular weapon will be a fantasy universe weapon anyway and I don't know how Mandarin the language will sound in the end. Let's call it polearm.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 PSX-20210412-193029

It's also carved from basket willow because at the moment I don'tt have Bamboo sticks in the right size.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 PSX-20210412-193400

Used polsystyrene sheet for the blade and gave it the Vallejo treatment.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 PSX-20210412-192816

The helmet is a 3d printed sallet without the visor, but with neck protection from a closed helmet. The mask is made of worbla and fabric. Not sure If I will keep the helmets metal color or try bronze/copper. Maybe add a feather.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 PSX-20210412-192056

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 PSX-20210412-192237

I chose the Ji as a very versatile weapon for combating fast, weapon wielding Undead, both unarmored undead pesant mobs and undead soldiers. You can hook, slice, thrust, hack, cripple, decapitate with it and it's not complicated to maintain and produce, like the war hammer. It's also faster to train militias wielding it. Both weapons are used in the same time period, unlike in real history, but I still think it might make sense when facing a world wide zombie threat of historical proportions.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 PSX-20210412-194220

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 PSX-20210412-194344

Here for your learning:

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This is very cool, thank you for sharing. And I learned something more about weapons today!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, those are impressive! Gorgeous work. Your dedication to realism and detail is inspiring, my friend!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another really cool weapon, and I really like the helmet.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 C8485110

Lynkhart

Lynkhart

Funny, I have always thought AT-AT resembling a cross between dogs and camels. Actually, now that you mention it, it will be great if you designed two varieties ("species"), an Axter and a Beakster!

I mean, you’re not wrong. XD

Absolutely fantastic work on the new blade - I’d have never guessed it was plastic! I love the way it’s tied to the staff part too, such a beautifully elegant means of attachment, and so many ways it could be customised depending on the state of the world it appeared in.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Lynkhart wrote:

I mean, you’re not wrong. XD

Yes! Absolutely. I think I didn't post this one in the video section as it was not sixth-scale, but I love it. I had seen it, yet it made me laugh out loud again. Jabba the poo was irresistible...

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Work ! I can not wait to see more. Excellent paint job it looks like real metal.
I thought the hook on this weapons is for to get mounted Warriors from the back of their horses.

Yes... Humans. Give a stick to them and the first thing they do will be to hit another ones face with it Laughing

The history of weapons is very intresting

Valiarde

Valiarde
That polearm is awesome! Especially since it was a very common weapon I during the middle ages but hardly any figure come with one so far. Swords everywhere or some maces. But hardly any polearms..

Your a real blacksmith and I like to see your custom army grow and defile (in terms of zombies) Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Yes... Humans. Give a stick to them and the first thing they do will be to hit another ones face with it Laughing

What else are sticks for..? Very Happy

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Ephiane wrote:
Yes... Humans. Give a stick to them and the first thing they do will be to hit another ones face with it Laughing
I think that's mostly men.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's a nice looking polearm, really great looking and very realistic actually, you could fool me with it. As for the helmet you could also paint it with city or clan colors, some medieval armor pieces where painted with heraldry colors and the like.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 1f60e

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Wow, Ovy, these all look fantastic! cheers And you are way too critical of yourself, the flaws you see are things only you can see; if I did those I'd be quite pleased.  Cool But, you are a man after my own heart, as I too am super critical and OCD about the tiniest flaws or imperfections. Sometimes I'll ruin something because I don't know when to stop "fixing" it! 

It's also too easy to see "flaws" when you are working under super magnification at six inches or less, but at normal scale distances of about 1 to 2 feet with the naked eye, it's amazing how those things just disappear!

Anyway, great job again. You are quite the 1/6 armourer, and I appreciate the in progress pics, we are like minded there too!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Great work Ovy! The paint is very convincing as metal, in fact I first thought you were casting your pieces in white metal then aging them with mild acid.

38[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 Empty Bearded axe and round shield Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Ovy

Ovy
shovelchop81 wrote:Great work Ovy! The paint is very convincing as metal, in fact I first thought you were casting your pieces in white metal then aging them with mild acid.
Thanks a lot, real metal weapons would be nice, but it's not a priority for me.

Theboo-bomb wrote:That's a nice looking polearm, really great looking and very realistic actually, you could fool me with it. As for the helmet you could also paint it with city or clan colors, some medieval armor pieces where painted with heraldry colors and the like.
Well while I didn't decide to paint the sallet, I definitely wanted the viking helmet painted.

So I finished another set of medeival fantasy equipment.
A bearded axe made of polystyrene sheet, Miliput, wood and fake leather, and I reworked the old 2018 roundshield
(Old shield WIP:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t619-6-10-2021-jaroyesz-vs-undead-a-lot-of-wip#10124 )

I didn't compress the pics this time because I was lazy, hope the file sizes were not too large.

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 01b

I replaced the Worbla boss with a same scaled 3d printed brooch and painted it with a color scheme and pattern I experimented with.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 01a

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 06

The back of the shield keeps it's color, I replaced the leather stap with a proper wooden grip.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 07

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 04

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 04b

A spike was added to penetrate armored zombie skulls
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 05

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 09
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 08

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 01

The helmet is a 3d print I painted and weathered, added leather.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 01c

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 02

The lamellar vest ist also finished now. After sewing the little printed lamellae together, I sewed some leather on there.
[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 12

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 13

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 14

[5/14] Historical fantasy weapons: Kanabō - Page 2 15

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow. The axe, shield, helmet, lamellar armor came out absolutely beautifully and believably. Stunning work. And very nicely presented, too. You are an artist, my friend.

Chip

I am late getting here sorry , but all these show superb modelling skills , truly excellent work .

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Whoah! That is so cool. Well done on the axe, shield, helmet and armor. Very impressive work. And the paint work is top notch. Excellent. Really looking forward to see who ends up with this.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Incredible craftsmanship and design, Ovy! Absolutely passes as 1:1 gear.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Awesome work and beautiful set!!

Diana

Diana
Beautiful work! Very impressive. I am looking forward to seeing it worn by someone! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum