OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I've not been posting much lately because I've been busy with other things, which does not mean that nothing is going on in my 1/6 scale universe.  I am revamping the wardrobes and equipment of some of my figures, plus have two new bodies shipping in from Giantoy, plus lots of little gear and uniform items always coming in from other sources, though chiefly, Monkey Depot.  Today however, I did have a bit of time to do some more test shots with my blue seamless paper and so I'm sharing a few here, with more to come.

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  51110187291_37b98c8799_b1 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kamiko is now showing some cleavage with a OD green crop top and is now wearing the rank insignia of a Lieutenant-Colonel instead of a mere captain.  She was Lieutenant before that. My reasoning is that now that she is a "Commander" in S.I.M.O.N. she needed to be promoted to higher substantive rank to be on a par with the other HQ commanders.

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  51110187091_2ca38064e3_b2 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  51109621697_01bfbbff3f_b3 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  51111005490_453646a460_b6 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

I wonder what Kamiko and Miyori are aiming at?  A dinosaur, robot dinosaur, or a Stahltruppe member?  

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  51110962910_bb0213ff1b_b4 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Heidi has ditched her old .38 Smith & Wesson as a sidearm and is now carrying what she should always have been carrying; a Colt M1873 Peacemeaker,

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  51109621167_f6053a2c81_b5 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  51110024447_f5f19d330d_bPage_1 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. I really like this made environment; the sky, the rock formation and the plants. Makes sense Kamiko would get promoted. Nice work, Gary.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  C8485110

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. I really like this made environment; the sky, the rock formation and the plants. Makes sense Kamiko would get promoted. Nice work, Gary.

Thanks Mark.  Lieutenant-Colonel is the army equivalent of the naval rank of "Commander."  Since all S.I.M.O.N. H.Q.'s are headed by someone holding the rank and position of "commander," This choice was a logical alternative.  And since James Bond, (A character in this universe) is ranked as a commander in the Royal Navy, then Kamiko's promotion is easily justified.

The insignia being worn are those of a lieutenant-colonel in the British, Canadian or Australian armies, as New Mexico, in my little universe is part His Majesty's United States...the part of America that decided to revert to having the British Monarch as its nominal if largely ceremonial head of state, following the 2nd American Civil War.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
The sky is looking amazing! And I'm liking the evolution of all your figures and their environment. I know how slow the process can be of getting everything 'just the way you want it', especially when it gets held up by shipping. ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Fantastic work Gary, I can why you have been busy. All the upgrades to both the dio and your figures look amazing. Kamiko's new uniform additions also look amazing.

Ovy

Ovy
Yay you made the blue gradient work!

Cool new outfit, still looking authorative despite the skimpiness. Btw, are you planning to give them dog tags/individual necklaces some day? I mean, there is some space for ot now.

And I think they are shooting at a Stahl Robot Dinosaur.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Yay you made the blue gradient work!

Cool new outfit, still looking authorative despite the skimpiness. Btw, are you planning to give them dog tags/individual necklaces some day? I mean, there is some space for ot now.

And I think they are shooting at a Stahl Robot Dinosaur.

I plan to give them all dog tags, as soon as I can find some cheap or make them myself.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
The gradient really makes it look like sky, great job.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  1f60e

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Lighting, backdrops, and environments have been a focus of mine lately, and I'll admit it's really hard to pull off and look good. (for some dumb reason my lightbox didn't come with a blue backdrop) Yours looks excellent and the bright lighting really matches the subject matter and the way you portray them in your "comic" series (which by the way is really hilarious). Great job!

Although, I think they need way more gear! Where are all the pouches, canteens, radios, etc?  tongue Wink

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:Lighting, backdrops, and environments have been a focus of mine lately, and I'll admit it's really hard to pull off and look good. (for some dumb reason my lightbox didn't come with a blue backdrop) Yours looks excellent and the bright lighting really matches the subject matter and the way you portray them in your "comic" series (which by the way is really hilarious). Great job!

Although, I think they need way more gear! Where are all the pouches, canteens, radios, etc?  tongue Wink

Kamiko is wearing two magazine pouches on her left hip, a bayonet behind that and on the right side (camera left, a pistol and canteen.)

Miyori definitely needs more gear on her belt.

Glynnis is wearing a 3 cell Thompson magazine pouch on her left hip, a fighting knife behind that, and on the right side, a Browning High-Power and pistol ammo pouch.  She does need a canteen however.  When fully loaded, they also wear small assault packs with rations, more ammo, and extra socks and undies.

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:Lighting, backdrops, and environments have been a focus of mine lately, and I'll admit it's really hard to pull off and look good. (for some dumb reason my lightbox didn't come with a blue backdrop) Yours looks excellent and the bright lighting really matches the subject matter and the way you portray them in your "comic" series (which by the way is really hilarious). Great job!

Kamiko is wearing two magazine pouches on her left hip, a bayonet behind that and on the right side (camera left, a pistol and canteen.)

Miyori definitely needs more gear on her belt.

Glynnis is wearing a 3 cell Thompson magazine pouch on her left hip, a fighting knife behind that, and on the right side, a Browning High-Power and pistol ammo pouch.  She does need a canteen however.  When fully loaded, they also wear small assault packs with rations, more ammo, and extra socks and undies.

Of course you know I was saying that in jest, your figures are perfect with the gear they have and anymore would ruin the look! Although, I do like the good sense of packing extra socks and undies in their assault packs, you're going to have to do a bit with them arguing about how much to pack! Laughing

davidd

davidd
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
Glynnis is wearing a 3 cell Thompson magazine pouch on her left hip, a fighting knife behind that, and on the right side, a Browning High-Power and pistol ammo pouch.  She does need a canteen however.

The canteen is a sure way to spot the difference between the Real Glynnis™ and counterfeits, imposters, and knock-offs:

Kimono Troop lighting and background tests  Fake_glynnis

Wink

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog

What I use is a roll of 4.5" blue seamless. One camera mounted flash with bounce card is pointed at the ceiling and another slave unit is low, between the scenery and the seamless, and pointed at the seamless, slightly upwards. Getting the light right is a trial and error process.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum