OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 27]

Lynkhart

I have a problem, and that problem is my slight addiction to free wallpaper samples from DIY shops!

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 40497579660_0bd5d6cb80_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 42399701312_ef94d54b60_zWallpaper samples by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

The choice in colours, textures and patterns these days is incredible, and many of them can be used very successfully in dioramas. I particularly love the wood and stone effect ones as most have a matte textured finish which looks great in photographs. The scale can be a little difficult at times, particularly with the brick ones, but in the right context they can be quite convincing castle or dungeon walls.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 36095770461_f640cb49f6_zBehind the scenes! by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 33239964394_6785f78afc_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 33240304654_21c5ee70a8_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

The wood effect ones can be cut into strips for planks, or as I used a few pages ago, to make a weathered looking table.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 27434774597_25ef647359_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Also, kind of unrelated but I saw these candle wicks in a craft shop the other day and thought they might make useful plaited rope with some weathering.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 27580165887_2a5f5fd7bf_zWicks for rope by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

http://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.co.uk

Pontiacivan

Lynkhart wrote:I have a problem, and that problem is my slight addiction to free wallpaper samples from DIY shops!

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 40497579660_0bd5d6cb80_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 42399701312_ef94d54b60_zWallpaper samples by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Awesome!
Humans all have addictions, it's just the substance we are drawn too.
I think free wallpaper samples is a pretty good one to have!
I love it!

The choice in colours, textures and patterns these days is incredible, and many of them can be used very successfully in dioramas. I particularly love the wood and stone effect ones as most have a matte textured finish which looks great in photographs. The scale can be a little difficult at times, particularly with the brick ones, but in the right context they can be quite convincing castle or dungeon walls.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 36095770461_f640cb49f6_zBehind the scenes! by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 33239964394_6785f78afc_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 33240304654_21c5ee70a8_zSkara's Prison Break by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

The wood effect ones can be cut into strips for planks, or as I used a few pages ago, to make a weathered looking table.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 27434774597_25ef647359_zUntitled by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Also, kind of unrelated but I saw these candle wicks in a craft shop the other day and thought they might make useful plaited rope with some weathering.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 27580165887_2a5f5fd7bf_zWicks for rope by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Nice catch, Christine. That first shot is hilarious; you look so excited! And I love how you achieved the bar effect in the dungeon photo. Very cool.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I second Stryker's comment. That first photo is wonderful and the look says it all. And these are very nice finds. The massive stonework dungeon wall looks perfect.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
That is an EPIC selection of wallpaper samples, and from all of your photos, it looks like it photographs so well. Wallpaper is actually getting harder to find, and I think Lowes and Home Depot stopped carrying most of it in store, and wallpaper is now pretty much a special order item. I've never even seen anywhere near the selection of cool textures you've managed to accrue. The stone wall is incredible, and I'd love to see the graffiti one in a dio. And those wicks really do look like they'd make perfect rope. Might have to pick some up next trip to the craft store.

dadrab

dadrab
Hey Rev. Not sure about where you are, but around here there are interior design stores that feature rolls upon rolls of wallpaper. Many fabric stores will offer a pretty good selection of wallpaper, as well.

The box stores might not carry it any longer, but lighting centers and flooring stores do...among others.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
dadrab wrote:Hey Rev. Not sure about where you are, but around here there are interior design stores that feature rolls upon rolls of wallpaper. Many fabric stores will offer a pretty good selection of wallpaper, as well.

The box stores might not carry it any longer, but lighting centers and flooring stores do...among others.

That is really interesting. I'm in NJ right outside NYC, so there's pretty much EVERYTHING around here. I'll definitely look into those options. Thanks for the heads up!

http://reverendspooky.com

MarkEl

Another trip to Tiger.  Found these novelty deck chairs for £2 each.  Just slightly off scale wise, but they are adjustable and sit at two levels.  Pardon the naturism!  It was a quick shot.  Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Deck_c10

MarkEl

I found these novelty drink markers which are about 1:36, so they are 1:6 for 1:6.  Take a selfie, and it's like a mirror effect.

A dude and his one sixths.  Isn't this all of us?  ;-)

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Dude_110
Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Dude_210
Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Dude_310
Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Dude_410

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Those are pretty cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice finds, MarkEl, and finely presented! The chairs seem to work just fine with the figures. And well done guy with dolls Smile I am almost surprised you didn't show him making them smooch, but I realize you are more proper than I am.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
These chairs look pretty spot on size wise, and the mini figures are really great. Those pics of of your figure enjoying his figures are such a blast!I've been meaning to put together some diorama's incorporating one of my figure's action figure collection, and I've been planning on using Heroclixs, since the scale should be about right.

I always ask whenever I see it, but what did you use for the butterfly tattoos on your sailor girl there? Do they hold up well to posing?

MarkEl

ReverendSpooky wrote:These chairs look pretty spot on size wise, and the mini figures are really great.  Those pics of of your figure enjoying his figures are such a blast!I've been meaning to put together some diorama's incorporating one of my figure's action figure collection, and I've been planning on using Heroclixs, since the scale should be about right.  

I always ask whenever I see it, but what did you use for the butterfly tattoos on your sailor girl there?  Do they hold up well to posing?

Thanks for the nice feedback!

Sailor girl is using tattoos that are water transfers for nails. I bought an assortment pack and found the ones I liked. They’ve are set with Micro Set and Micro Sol. The edges have curled on one from moving the figure, but you can reset it again with Micro Sol. I probably can’t dress this one much either. The transfers do reflect light differently, so it’s something to also consider.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
MarkEl wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:These chairs look pretty spot on size wise, and the mini figures are really great.  Those pics of of your figure enjoying his figures are such a blast!I've been meaning to put together some diorama's incorporating one of my figure's action figure collection, and I've been planning on using Heroclixs, since the scale should be about right.  

I always ask whenever I see it, but what did you use for the butterfly tattoos on your sailor girl there?  Do they hold up well to posing?

Thanks for the nice feedback!  

Sailor girl is using tattoos that are water transfers for nails.  I bought an assortment pack and found the ones I liked.  They’ve are set with Micro Set and Micro Sol.  The edges have curled on one from moving the figure, but you can reset it again with Micro Sol.  I probably can’t dress this one much either. The transfers do reflect light differently, so it’s something to also consider.

Thanks for the heads up. Sooner or later, I need to take a crack at tattoos on a seemless body, so I'm always gathering intel whenever I see the opportunity.

http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
A couple of days ago I made it back to Hobby Lobby, and came out with a few more items that can be used in a sixth-scale environment.

These included a delightfully soft and squeezable pig from Wildlife Wow, a rattlesnake from Mojo, dagger- and light-shaped charms from Fairy Tale, and container- and cup shaped charms from Charm Me (the Fairy Tale and Charm Me lines were on 50% off sale).

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl681810

Although probably too small for a full-grown in sixth scale, the pig will make do nicely for a young/growing specimen.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl681811

Inspired by a friend's choice of name for his pig in his youth, I am naming this one Nicodemus.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl681812

The lighting on the following photo doesn't work very well for illustration purposes (I didn't want it casting shadows on the sky and sea background), but while rather diminutive, the Charm Me charms work well as small trinkets (see if you can find them). This is true for the two containers (one of them is a miniature treasure chest) with openable lids that you can close using a clasp in one case and a magnet in the other, and for the tiny cup, which could be a little goblet. By the way, the corked bottle with a scroll message and the treasure chest are also from Hobby Lobby, in a previous haul. The dagger, while a bit overly ornate, works well in this scale. And I don't know that rattlesnakes frequent the beach, but they won't after this encounter.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl681813

I didn't have much to use the light with, except maybe something like this (again, showing the treasure chest)...

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl681814

So... good haul?

Delanie

Delanie
"Snakes why'd it have to be snakes?"

sorry just couldn't help myself Basketball

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Delanie, I was thinking the same thing. Smile

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Holy crap, both of those pig pictures cracked me up. Good haul indeed!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice stuff. It’s pretty neat how quite a few of those charms work well in this scale.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Holy crap, both of those pig pictures cracked me up.  Good haul indeed!

Thank you very much, ReverendSpooky! Glad you liked the pig pictures. The pig is made from some new type of polymer (or something) and is fun to play with ... I haven't been able to stop. And the best part is, no swine flu threat!

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice stuff. It’s pretty neat how quite a few of those charms work well in this scale.

Yes, the Fairy Tale charms in particular tend to be usable; the Charm Me are usually too small or too jewel-like (I wouldn't have really looked at them if they were not 50% off), but they can make do for small trinkets. Fairy Tale also had some hourglasses (one looked a bit too jewel-like, the other a bit too modernistic), chess pieces, and over-the-top keys (I've already showcased the somewhat more realistic ones), as well as some spiders.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
During another Hobby Lobby visit, I picked up another six pieces that are/could be useful.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl720110

Deer head (Christmas decoration) and "fan" (from a pair for pendants or earrings; it can also work as a helmet crest).

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl720111

Screw driver and guitar (Christmas decoration).

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl720112

Fish (I am told it might be too big -- is it impossibly so?) and (unrelated) bucket.

Useful items for sixth-scale environments (continuously updated) - Page 12 Hl720113

So that's that. Good haul?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Some pretty cool stuff, Guv. Can’t help you with the fish proportions, haven’t gone fishing in decades (hate the taste).

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Nice finds, Guv! I have that jazz guitar, looks great despite the translucent finish.
So Michelle's a lefty like Hendrix...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Some pretty cool stuff, Guv. Can’t help you with the fish proportions, haven’t gone fishing in decades (hate the taste).

Thanks, Stryker. I figured, in theory fish can get pretty big under the right conditions, and if he is going to be showing it off, it could be big indeed. I did go over the eyes of the fish and the deer head with Vallejo gloss varnish.

rollotomasi wrote:Nice finds, Guv! I have that jazz guitar, looks great despite the translucent finish.
So Michelle's a lefty like Hendrix...

Thanks, rollotomasi. I agree, the translucent finish is cool in and of itself, but could have been a problem if it was too obvious. Luckily it isn't.

dadrab

dadrab
I think the fish is fine. I'm assuming it to be a large mouth bass, in which case it's a world's record, but it's not bad. If you are of a mind to repaint it, make it look like a salt-water spotted bass and it'll be perfectly in scale.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
dadrab wrote:I think the fish is fine. I'm assuming it to be a large mouth bass, in which case it's a world's record, but it's not bad. If you are of a mind to repaint it, make it look like a salt-water spotted bass and it'll be perfectly in scale.

Thanks, dadrab! It is indeed a large mouth bass. I will follow your suggestion and maybe do a repaint.

MerylAkiba

Awesome find, GubernatorFan. I just came from Hobby Lobby to buy leather straps to replace the faded ones on Guritz and Gothmog. Oh man. I want a deer head too. Where in hobby lobby is the deer head located? I want to make a 1/6 Battle Beast style Deer Archer.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MerylAkiba wrote:Awesome find, GubernatorFan. I just came from Hobby Lobby to buy leather straps to replace the faded ones on Guritz and Gothmog. Oh man. I want a deer head too. Where in hobby lobby is the deer head located? I want to make a 1/6 Battle Beast style Deer Archer.

Thanks! They do have some nice leather goods for our hobby. Assuming all Hobby Lobby stores follow basically the same layout (the two that I know are identical), the deer head (and the guitar) were among the Christmas ornaments they have just begun to display in the seasonal decorations aisles near the front (usually on one side -- left? -- of the entrance). Unlike their other aisles, they rotate the goods they display there. I do think it is far too early for Christmas, but I suppose Thanksgiving-themed goods won't take up all that space.

MerylAkiba

Thanks, GubernatorFan. I got the Deer head. They didn't have any instruments. Hobby Lobby is barely adding the Xmas aisles. Certain wildlife wows are on sale like the pig, turtle, hippo, bear, and Rhino, so I'll get the bear wildlife wow to make another beast. Thanks again!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum