OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
For more, including the light feature tutorial, see HERE.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb010

Introduction
The Amazon Prime series The Boys has been an unexpected hit, and a bit of an alternative to blockbuster superhero movies we have gotten used to. Not entirely surprisingly, this has inspired the sixth scale rendition of some of its characters, starting with the leading protagonist Billie Butcher and leading antagonist Homelander. Soo Soo Toys, which has a tradition of bringing such characters to sixth scale and filling niches left by other companies, is making one of each, and other third party companies are following suit. Soo Soo's Mr Butcher (SST 025) showed up yesterday, and here is a quick review. I took up enough photos to have plenty left over for a bit of a photo story and tutorial... (HERE).

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb011

Packaging - 4/4 stars
Mr Butcher comes in a pretty standard shoebox style cardboard box, with graphic art of the character on the lid and sides. Inside there is a cover card with another graphic art portrayal of the character, a la Hot Toys. Below that one finds two plastic treys, each with its transparent lid. The upper one holds the figure, extra hands, baby figure, and two alternative heads (one for Billie Butcher, the other for the baby), as well as the three Compound V vials, two batteries, and a mini circuitboard (these go inside the alternative baby head -- there is a color printed sheet with basic instructions). The lower trey holds the action figure stand and the weapons. Everything is collector friendly, except perhaps securing the bottom trey and its lid closed together with no less than four pieces of tape. I generally prefer foam to plastic treys, but there is nothing to really complain about here.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb012

Sculpting - 3.5/4 stars
There are several head sculpts at play here, although the focus would be on Billie Butcher's, and there are two of those. There is one head with a relatively neutral expression and another one with a sort of maniacal grin. Both are executed very well, and the more neutral-expression head is near perfect, although the grinning likeness is not quite as compelling. It is still recognizable, but I think it is wrong -- for that expression the eyes are likely to narrow, and the cheek space between them and the mouth bunch up and narrow too. If you have a light source behind the grinning head, you would see the light show through the slightly open mouth. The visible teeth are, for once, flawlessly sculpted, being a separate piece attached from the inside. The detail is very fine, though perhaps not quite Hot Toys fine (for example, in the hair strands). The baby's body, clothing, and two heads (one of them with removable night cap) are also excellently sculpted. So are the weapons and other accessories, including the interchangeable hands. The boots are a work of art. One area in which they miscalculated is the figure's height. Karl Urban is about 185 cm (6' 1") tall, which would translate to about 30.8 cm (12.12 in), but Soo Soo Toys' Mr Butcher stands only 29.5 cm (11.6 in) tall.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb013

Paint - 4/4 stars
The paint job is clean and precise overall, with plenty of realistic detail on the areas that are supposed to be flesh, including the heads and hands. The eyes and scope lenses are appropriate glossy. The teeth are very nicely done, giving them a realistic look. There is very little in the way of weathering, except perhaps a little on the boots. Nevertheless, the painted accessories are given a slightly dull finish where appropriate, that does not make them look excessively plastic and cheap.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb014

Articulation - 3.5/4 stars
The articulation is relatively good, especially given the somewhat bulkier and heftier character of the hard-plastic body. Because one is supposed to be able to display the figure with and without the long coat, they chose to go with single-jointed elbows. This limits elbow articulation to about 90 degrees, while still looking awkward (we have been spoiled by TBLeague and Jiaou, have we not?), so I am not certain this choice makes as much sense to me. The other joints are more or less consistent with what one would expect from high-end sixth-scale bodies today. There is even some articulation in the relatively soft-material-covered lower neck. But in places this is hampered by the outfit, especially if you have the long coat on the figure. As can be expected, the boots, although loosened and slightly pliable toward their tops, do somewhat limit the ankle articulation. Nevertheless, it is possible to take and hold relatively wide stances without support.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb015

Accessories - 4/4 stars
Often enough third party sets skimp on accessories, providing little. This is not usually a fault of Soo Soo Toys, and once again they have provided a plethora of accessories. Apart from the additional pairs of interchangeable hands, making a total of four pairs (relaxed, fists, knife grip, and pistol grip), and the fairly elaborate action figure stand (with a The Boys logo and texture imitating a metal panel), there are a sniper rifle, another rifle, a cattle prod, an electric drill, a crowbar, and hammer. There are also additional clips for both rifles -- for a total of three of each kind, that can be attached at the appropriate place. Both rifles have some articulation (like movable scopes), one of them with an extendable stock, an attachable handle, and a removable silencer. There are also three Compound V vials. The baby is a whole additional accessory, which is unfortunately just that -- a little unarticulated figure, even if beautifully executed. It has two virtually identical heads that can be swapped (they plug in, there is no possibility of rotation). This is because one of these has translucent lenses for the eyes to allow illumination from the inside. To do that, you would have to take off the night cap, and insert under it the provided small circuitboard with a battery inserted in it; they provide two batteries. I will post a mini tutorial on that separately, but it is not very difficult in the end. The assembly is very sensitive, and a little tap or vibration would make the light go on or go off. Given how easily this happens, I would take the battery out when not using this feature.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb016

Outfit - 4/4 stars
The clothing looks to be screen accurate and very nicely sized, proportioned, and tailored. The green long jacket has a concealed wire at the bottom, which makes it possible to pose it a little to simulate the effect of wind movement. The there is the dark blue floral print shirt, the black acid-washed jeans (with a black belt, which is there, even if not visible), and the molded boots discussed above. The jeans are wide enough and soft enough not to hamper articulation as much as one might expect, although the long coat's relatively tight sleeves do get in the way of some more pronounced movement of the arm at the shoulder and elbow.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb017

Light Feature - see HERE.
I am not going to give this a score, both because it would be even more subjective and because it would not compare with many sets that have no such feature. Inserting a battery-powered mini circuit board into the alternate baby head (the cap can be taken off, and the eyes are blue translucent lenses), allows you to have the baby shoot blue lasers from its eyes -- or rather to illuminate said eyes. This works reasonably well when the surroundings are dark (which does not photograph well), and of course if you wanted to see the actual laser effect you would have to add that in photoshop or the graphics program of your choice. I haven't tried that yet. It is about as effective as that solution could be, short of finding a way of attaching translucent plastic lasers that would look right issuing out of the eyes and away from the body.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb216

Fun Factor - 4/4 stars
Given the number and variety of accessories, the ready options for at least two basic looks, and the forthcoming availability of Billie's nemesis Homelander, and hopefully some others down the line, there is a ton of potential fun to be had with this set. For the purposes of this review and additional threads, I have given him as a counterpart the Hot Toys Man of Steel Superman, since that character was, after all, a sort of inspiration behind Homelander. If only Billy were a little taller... and Superman a little shorter... Smile

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb018

Value - 4/4 stars
It is sad but probably accurate to admit that these days an action figure set, even if unlicensed, featuring a popular character from a popular franchise, would be priced reasonably low at $190 (USD). This is true in general, but also in particular: this set comes with two alternate realistic head sculpts, five weapons, several additional accessories, an admittedly unarticulated second character (the baby) with two head sculpts of its own (one of them with an electrical feature), not counting alternate hands and a nice action figure stand. Given what this is, and how things are, I would say that is a good deal.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb110

Things to watch out for -
Not too much. I would be careful with any stiff joints, and work on them slowly and gradually. The Compound V vials are tiny and could be easily misplaced or lost. The same may be true for some of the rifle accessories. I do not know if it might be a hazard (or just a nuisance), but I would take out the battery when not using it, given how easily it is to activate (or deactivate) the light feature even with accidental vibration.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb111

Overall -
I am very happy and impressed with this set. It renders a beloved character in sixth scale in all his scruffy and rough quality, giving him a recognizable and realistic look -- even if the more emotive head is less successful. It also provides him with a wealth of appropriate accessories up to an including a mutant baby with blue laser eyes. As himself, as a random extra character, or even as kitbashing material, this is a winner.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb112

Where to buy -
I got mine at GianToy, but it is currently sold out.
I see it as a special order at Monkey Depot: https://www.monkeydepot.com/SooSooToys_Mr_Butch_SST_025_p/ssb0017.htm
And as a preorder at One Sixth Outfitters: https://www.onesixthoutfitters.com/products/soosootoys-sst025-1-6-scale-mr-butcher-figure
But in both cases, at a higher price. The same is likely to be the case on eBay.

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review Sstmb114

I hope this has been useful. What do you think?

For more, including the light feature tutorial, see HERE.

#soosootoys #mrbutcher #billy #butcher #fiction #tv #amazon #prime #male #modern

Diana

Diana
That is great news! Thank you for the review! I was very tempted by this set. Glad they came through!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. Not as wild about the smiling sculpt as the other, but that’s just personal preference. I have yet to watch this show, but I’ve been meaning to give it a shot.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:That is great news! Thank you for the review! I was very tempted by this set. Glad they came through!

Thank you, I'm glad too. If they keep these up, I don't know how far I'd go, but I'm glad I picked this one up.

Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. Not as wild about the smiling sculpt as the other, but that’s just personal preference. I have yet to watch this show, but I’ve been meaning to give it a shot.

Thank you, glad you agree. I knew the "smiling" head was going to be a challenge and less successful, but there is plenty here to make up for it, not least, of course, a more "normal" head sculpt. The show is quite fun, a little gory, plenty irreverent, probably not too preachy; apparently it does not follow the comic book to the last detail.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
No clue about the show but that lack of knowledge doesn't take from the fact that the figure has some good accessories. The crazy looking head is also interesting to look at, reminds me of someone, maybe a still from the show I saw at some point.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Soo Soo Toys SST 025 Mr Butcher (Billy Butcher from The Boys) Review 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:No clue about the show but that lack of knowledge doesn't take from the fact that the figure has some good accessories. The crazy looking head is also interesting to look at, reminds me of someone, maybe a still from the show I saw at some point.

Thank you, TBB. It sure does. And it's a fun show. If you happen to have Amazon Prime anyway, check it out.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Really cool looking figure Ian. Great review!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Glad he turned out pretty well! Agree that the smiling sculpt is not as convincing, but otherwise looks good.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Really cool looking figure Ian. Great review!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it.

skywalkersaga wrote:Glad he turned out pretty well! Agree that the smiling sculpt is not as convincing, but otherwise looks good.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked, and that I'm not the only one with this impression.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Wow ! A figure with additional heads for more facial expressions !!!! Adream come true for a 1:6 storyteller. Thanks for showing

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Wow ! A figure with additional heads for more facial expressions !!!! Adream come true for a 1:6 storyteller. Thanks for showing

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. I'm also very happy when they include an additional head -- that way the odds are at least one of them is going to be pretty good (since overly-emotive ones are usually a little off). Here they even gave a choice of heads for the baby accessory. I'm very pleased with the number and variety of accessories in this set.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I may end up getting one of these even though I haven’t read the comics or watched the show. It’s rare for that to happen with a male character, but he’s so different from most of what’s out there.

It’s also nice to see a photo review. Video reviews are great, but I like being able to go at my own speed and take in all of the details.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:I may end up getting one of these even though I haven’t read the comics or watched the show.   It’s rare for that to happen with a male character, but he’s so different from most of what’s out there.

It’s also nice to see a photo review.  Video reviews are great, but I like being able to go at my own speed and take in all of the details.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you like it. Must have resonated, too, if you are thinking of adding one of these to your collection.

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the review, looks like a great release. Soosoo has been slowly stepping up their products lately. They have a homelander too coming out i think? Although i think most sites took it off their main pages. I heard they may be doing starlight as well. Hope they do the whole line even though I probably won't get all the characters heh.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
csyeung wrote:Thanks for the review, looks like a great release. Soosoo has been slowly stepping up their products lately.

Yes, they’ve risen above their name. Razz

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
csyeung wrote:Thanks for the review, looks like a great release. Soosoo has been slowly stepping up their products lately. They have a homelander too coming out i think? Although i think most sites took it off their main pages. I heard they may be doing starlight as well. Hope they do the whole line even though I probably won't get all the characters heh.

You are very welcome, I'm glad you liked it. I think they have been pretty good for a while. I also have their scarlet speedster (or whatever they called him), and was very happy with that. Yes, they have a Homelander too, I think that is the one I pre-ordered (there are three different versions by different companies -- if not four). I've always liked their resolve to fill niches left behind by other companies, and to do that with nice, high quality products.

Xavion2004 wrote:Yes, they’ve risen above their name.  Razz

I think they have done that already a while back. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
If anyone is looking for some of these parts, Toy Anxiety just parted it out.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
How long has William here been out? I’m not seeing him at any of my usual haunts…not even showing as previously in stock but sold our. Looking at One Sixth Outfitters, there’s a second production run coming?

If I don’t go 1/6, Mafex has a really nice looking version coming out in 1/12. Not with real clothing, but still impressive.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:How long has William here been out?  I’m not seeing him at any of my usual haunts…not even showing as previously in stock but sold our.  Looking at One Sixth Outfitters, there’s a second production run coming?

I think he was just released maybe about 3 weeks ago overseas, I did the review the day after I received him, and I had pre-ordered so it probably shipped directly. I think this might be one of those cases where the pre-orders sold out (or close to it), and they didn't make too many on top of those numbers. Which might also explain why they are now going for a second production run. It may also be that some people are buying multiples to sell at higher prices down the line.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum