OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for Advice/Recommendations

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for Advice/Recommendations Empty Looking for Advice/Recommendations Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:58 pm

GGuids

Howdy;

I'm looking at putting together a kitbash for a female PMC type character. I've kind of pieced out all the clothing/equipment I need already, but I'm stuck on which 1:6 body to go with.

After much reading on OSW and perusing BBTS, Blackopstoys, Monkeydepot, ebay etc I get the distinct impression that the Phicen/TBL body is not only the most available body on the market, but also has the most custom options in terms of headsculpts/clothing that are tailored specifically to it. My issue is that I'm not 100% sure I want to take the plunge and get a phicen for a couple reasons;
1. Durability: I have no experience with 1:6 female figures so I don't know how well a silicone body will hold up over time, how prone to breaking are the joints, if one of my kids gets a hold of it how easy will it be for them to snap it?
2. Mature Nature: The anatomical correctness of the TBL/Phicen dolls is a concern for me. I definitely like the "realism" of the body sculpt over the plastic articulated bodies like Triad, but with young kids in the house I'm not sure the fully formed privates are the best choice. My kitbash plan is definitely more on the tacticool side than the tactical-tease, so its not like it would be flaunting massive amounts of flesh.

The VC 3.0 body caught my eye, as the combination of a semi-seamless torso with jointed limbs in hard plastic struck me as more durable choice, and bridged the gap of durability versus aesthetics between the Triad Alpha and TBL. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger, is because I can't find and VC bodies for less than a brand new SB23 TBL. I'm also not sure what color matches the 3.0 body in terms of head sculpts out there.

So I guess what I am asking, is should I just pony up and get a TB/Phicen and be careful with it around the kids, or is there a good retailer for VC bodies that I just can't find with reasonable pricing?

Thanks
Guids
o7

2Looking for Advice/Recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Advice/Recommendations Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hi Guids,

I can't advise on the VC bodies, although I have a couple of the boxed sets. If the kids are too young to take much notice of such things, you're probably safe with a TBLeague body, especially if you clothe it as soon as you get it. The stainless steel-skeleton TBLeague bodies are quite durable in terms of joints, and the recent S23B should be a safe choice in that respect. To avoid tempting fate, heat up the hands before taking off or putting on (some older models had a problem with the metal wrist pin detaching from the lower arm -- but it has been a very long time since I have seen that issue). They are not intended for kids, but short of a kid purposefully trying to pull it apart or repeatedly slam it like a hammer onto a hard surface, they are likely to be durable enough -- even the silicone "skin" (really "flesh") is rather difficult to cut on purpose. Also keep in mind that TBLeague is about to release some more petite (and therefore arguably more realistic/average) bodies.

3Looking for Advice/Recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Advice/Recommendations Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:38 pm

GGuids

Thanks Gubernator!

Good to hear that my concerns over durability are maybe unwarranted. I may just go ahead and take the plunge if I can't find a cheaper alternative that is still aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks!

4Looking for Advice/Recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Advice/Recommendations Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The VC bodies aren't bad, particularly if you plan to cover it mostly up. But, as the Guv pointed out, TBL have set a new bar in bodies (both male & female); just be sure to wash any clothing you plan to put on the TBL (or any body that has rubber (i.e. seamless) parts), as they will stain if the clothing leaches dye -- black and red being the worst culprits.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Looking for Advice/Recommendations C8485110

5Looking for Advice/Recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Advice/Recommendations Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:59 pm

GGuids

Thanks for the tip Stryker, the plan is for pretty much all of green with some white, so sounds like I’ve made good choices there. I’ll definitely wash/treat until I’m confident the dye won’t bleed!

6Looking for Advice/Recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Advice/Recommendations Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, even the green can bleed on those seamless bodies. They’re like magnets for stains and lint.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Looking for Advice/Recommendations C8485110

7Looking for Advice/Recommendations Empty Re: Looking for Advice/Recommendations Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:05 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
With TBLeague's silicone surface, if the body does stain, leave it alone for awhile, and see if the stain does not clean up by itself after a few days.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum