OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects.

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

BAMComix

BAMComix
Hi guys, as you are probably aware, Mr.Redbox is the one character I have created that everyone seems to hate Very Happy . Well, bad news has befallen on the old lovable rogue, his original head, a Redbox figure (Action Man k/o from the 70s I believe) which I repainted has finally succumbed to time. The cheap plastic that he was made from finally split completely making his old head useless now. I must admit, I was gutted as he is one of my favourite characters.
    Well fear not! Redbox is back! I repainted a Brad Pitt 'Fury' head which, I think anyway looks really good! So ladies and gentlemen, I give you, Demitri Redbox 2.0!!

BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51641222658_60386a1dca_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51640179512_7d9f208295_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51641008676_8d6cafe3ef_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51640179432_c70b18a0c4_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51641222528_47a26ce18f_c

The old Redbox sculpt will still appear in a few more chapters before the change will occur, but I just wanted to show the new and latest version!

blackpool

blackpool
Brad is always a good choice!

ElBundy

ElBundy
...looks like a tough character. Nicely repainted head sculpture. For my figures I have not the heart to repaint the head sculpts.

BAMComix

BAMComix
ElBundy wrote:...looks like a tough character. Nicely repainted head sculpture. For my figures I have not the heart to repaint the head sculpts.

Thank you bounce . I must admit, i do not normally paint sculpts, but did this one as I needed him to make a new Redbox character. Pleased you liked him Very Happy .

BAMComix

BAMComix
blackpool wrote:Brad is always a good choice!

I agree Blackpool! he seemed the natural choice Very Happy

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I think the paintwork you did on the sculpt looks fantastic, but it’s still a bit difficult for me tp see Brad Pitt and think “evil”. That’s probably due to my extremely limited experience with action/adventure movies in general, and therefore, never seeing Pitt in that type of role. I’m sure that will change pretty quickly once he turns up in the photo stories, though!

BAMComix

BAMComix
Xavion2004 wrote:I think the paintwork you did on the sculpt looks fantastic, but it’s still a bit difficult for me tp see Brad Pitt and think “evil”.  That’s probably due to my extremely limited experience with action/adventure movies in general, and therefore, never seeing Pitt in that type of role.   I’m sure that will change pretty quickly once he turns up in the photo stories, though!

Thank you Very Happy . Yeah, he usually plays the good guy doesn't he? Hopefully, I can give him an evil and devious twist as he takes on the role of one of most crafty characters bounce

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice upgrade. I know you have a natural attachment to the old action man style and are very good at mixing them with other styles, but in my book more realistic is always a good thing. Smile

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks great , its a pity the old one finally succumbed to time but you could always say he took a vacation and had some plastic surgery. BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 1f603

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks great , its a pity the old one finally succumbed to time but you could always say he took a vacation and had some plastic surgery.  BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 1f603

Don’t you mean… pitty? Very Happy

Dal, the new head looks great. Nice job.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. C8485110

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:Very nice upgrade. I know you have a natural attachment to the old action man style and are very good at mixing them with other styles, but in my book more realistic is always a good thing. Smile

Thanks Ian! After what has happened to my old Redbox sculpt it has made me question the wear and tear to my Jake. However, whether he will be upgraded is something I will have to have a think about. After all, there aren't that many sculpts to choose from?

Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks great , its a pity the old one finally succumbed to time but you could always say he took a vacation and had some plastic surgery.  BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 1f603

lol! I like that idea!

Stryker2011 wrote:

Don’t you mean… pitty? Very Happy

Many thanks Mark! I guess he now has a new lease of life cheers

Dal, the new head looks great. Nice job.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That is another interesting point -- I realize you might still be able to find and replace Jake's head with another from this line of products, unless the attachment is specifically to the individual one you have -- but if a thing like this could happen to these heads (which I was not aware of until your post), perhaps looking at a stand in for him (while preserving the original in a museum-type safe display) might be worth considering. And same for any other older and sentimentally valuable heads and/or entire figures. Cotswold Collectibles in the States seems to make new Action Man (or similar) figures, unless I'm confused; I don't know if their products completely overlap the classic ones or are just in the same style.

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:That is another interesting point -- I realize you might still be able to find and replace Jake's head with another from this line of products, unless the attachment is specifically to the individual one you have -- but if a thing like this could happen to these heads (which I was not aware of until your post), perhaps looking at a stand in for him (while preserving the original in a museum-type safe display) might be worth considering. And same for any other older and sentimentally valuable heads and/or entire figures. Cotswold Collectibles in the States seems to make new Action Man (or similar) figures, unless I'm confused; I don't know if their products completely overlap the classic ones or are just in the same style.

Your correct Ian, I have had Jake since I was seven, so he is getting on a bit, to date he is forty two Very Happy . Yes, he was custom reflocked about twelve years ago now, but to me, he will always be my first Action Man. As I said, I will have to think whether the time has come to bring in a younger model? I will keep you guys posted on my choice bounce .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sounds like one that you would really want to preserve.

BAMComix

BAMComix
After what happened to Redbox, I have decided to retire original Jake from Comic story duty. Jake and I have been together for a long time, and I would hate for anything to happen to him. Jake 1.0 has been put back on his original body and uniform. He will still appear from time to time, but Jake 2.0 will take up the lead in BAMComix from now on.
    Yeah, I know what your thinking, he looks nothing like 1.0 Jake  Suspect . I looked for ages for a sculpt that would match original Jake, but it's impossible  Sad , so I decided on a complete reboot. I hope you guys like him? I would like to hear your thoughts and feedback. Thanks guys!

BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51670253504_f74345816d_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51670253414_0dc41f7f7a_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51669718461_d183ac6520_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51669718341_351fbae0c6_c
BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. 51669718196_9df345bf87_c

Ovy

Ovy
Whaaat?

Yes he looks great and modern, but agree, does not look that 'iconic' like your original one, we will have to get used to it haha. I remember recently writing somewhere about how it would look like if your original Jake was repainted by a head sculpt master artist.
The m33 body upgrade of the old Jake was a fun thing too.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like him, but wow! This is going to take some getting used to. I’ve been trying to get over to the Photo Story section, and taking my time with it, as there is just so much to digest, and not enough time in the day.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

BAM's Upgrades and ongoing figure projects. C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Interesting. Of course by now we are so familiar with and attached to Jake 1.0 that the recasting comes as a natural shock, but I think that is how we should approach it: as recasting a new actor to play the same character. I'm sure it will just take one of Dal's photo stories to start getting used to the new Jake and Demitri, and their budding bromance. Wink But, seriously, it looks great, and the actor is suitable for the heroic role thrust upon him. It does occur to me that this is hardly a close visual equivalent of Jake 1.0, but on the other hand I have no suggestions off the top of my head for one that would really translate Jake 1.0 to the more realistic modern style better -- both his personal look and his product style are very specific. I imagine that even if one experimented with the hair and facial hair, the features would still be quite distinctive (there are bearded Chris Evans head sculpts out there, but they wouldn't look much more like Jake 1.0, and trying to lighten the hair color realistically would be quite a challenge). Anyway, it will take a moment to get used to it, but I like it, and look forward to seeing more of it. To my not-so-imaginative mind, it already works very well in tandem with relatively realistic heads of female characters. It is also probably fortunate that Demitri 2.0 and Jake 2.0 are apparently going to be introduced simultaneously. Beautiful photography as always.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Ovy wrote:Whaaat?

Yes he looks great and modern, but agree, does not look that 'iconic' like your original one, we will have to get used to it haha. I remember recently writing somewhere about how it would look like if your original Jake was repainted by a head sculpt master artist.
The m33 body upgrade of the old Jake was a fun thing too.

Thanks Ovy, and I do agree he doesn't have the same look. I figured the best way was a complete reboot. I remember your idea of a repaint, however cool that would have been, I couldn't have taken a paint brush to him Very Happy .

Stryker2011 wrote:I like him, but wow! This is going to take some getting used to. I’ve been trying to get over to the Photo Story section, and taking my time with it, as there is just so much to digest, and not enough time in the day.

I'm sure after he has appeared a few times, you guys will maybe not forget, but except Jake's new look? Very Happy

GubernatorFan wrote:Interesting. Of course by now we are so familiar with and attached to Jake 1.0 that the recasting comes as a natural shock, but I think that is how we should approach it: as recasting a new actor to play the same character. I'm sure it will just take one of Dal's photo stories to start getting used to the new Jake and Demitri, and their budding bromance. Wink But, seriously, it looks great, and the actor is suitable for the heroic role thrust upon him. It does occur to me that this is hardly a close visual equivalent of Jake 1.0, but on the other hand I have no suggestions off the top of my head for one that would really translate Jake 1.0 to the more realistic modern style better -- both his personal look and his product style are very specific. I imagine that even if one experimented with the hair and facial hair, the features would still be quite distinctive (there are bearded Chris Evans head sculpts out there, but they wouldn't look much more like Jake 1.0, and trying to lighten the hair color realistically would be quite a challenge). Anyway, it will take a moment to get used to it, but I like it, and look forward to seeing more of it. To my not-so-imaginative mind, it already works very well in tandem with relatively realistic heads of female characters. It is also probably fortunate that Demitri 2.0 and Jake 2.0 are apparently going to be introduced simultaneously. Beautiful photography as always.

Thanks for the encouraging words Ian, really means a lot. I did think about several heads with beards and stubble, but they just didn't do it for me anyway, this is why I went for the complete reboot, much like you said, about casting a new actor to play the role Very Happy . I have great faith in the fact that 'new' Jake will eventually win over the readers of the stories (at least I'm hoping so!) . I also agree, that new Jake fits in nicely with the female figures and more importantly for Jake, Jenna approves bounce bounce bounce bounce

Diana

Diana
I admittedly never truly warmed up to Jake 1.0, though I did appreciate seeing him as he is such a recurring face in your stories.

But I welcome Jake 2.0! He looks more modern of course and fits right in with the ladies. Smile

BAMComix

BAMComix
Diana wrote:I admittedly never truly warmed up to Jake 1.0, though I did appreciate seeing him as he is such a recurring face in your stories.

But I welcome Jake 2.0! He looks more modern of course and fits right in with the ladies. Smile

Thank you so much Diana, that is so nice that you like the 'new' Jake Very Happy . I guess vintage am isn't everyone's fave? but hey thats okay bounce . Really pleased to know that you keep up with the adventures, means a lot bounce

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
In my case, I had no vested sentimental attachment to the vintage line; and in general my appreciation of stylized stuff in this scale is limited, eclipsed by my appreciation of realism. That said, I think Jake 1.0 in particular won me over through Dal's intricate stories and photography; and he was a very likable character, which helped. Anyway, the new casting of the role promises to keep this legacy very much alive.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww, I did like the quirkiness of your old Jake, mainly because I appreciate the nostalgia for one's childhood toys. But that's also why I can totally understand why you've 'retired' him, since you want to make sure he never gets lost or damaged. A lot of things can go wrong in a photoshoot. Laughing Now at least, old Jake is safe.  Wink

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
There’s a new Jake?!? What the frock?!?

Wink

I think it’s a testament to your story telling that Jake 1.0 is so beloved, but at least we’ll still be able to see him in cameos from time to time. I’ll miss him, but I’m sure it won’t take long before Jake 2.0 becomes the Roger Moore to Jake 1.0’s Sean Connery. Both are iconic.

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:In my case, I had no vested sentimental attachment to the vintage line; and in general my appreciation of stylized stuff in this scale is limited, eclipsed by my appreciation of realism. That said, I think Jake 1.0 in particular won me over through Dal's intricate stories and photography; and he was a very likable character, which helped. Anyway, the new casting of the role promises to keep this legacy very much alive.

That really means a lot Ian, thank you Very Happy . Hopefully 'new' Jake will continue to carry the stories forward Very Happy

skywalkersaga wrote:Aww, I did like the quirkiness of your old Jake, mainly because I appreciate the nostalgia for one's childhood toys. But that's also why I can totally understand why you've 'retired' him, since you want to make sure he never gets lost or damaged. A lot of things can go wrong in a photoshoot. Laughing Now at least, old Jake is safe.  Wink

they do hold a special place for us who had them as kids I guess Very Happy . Original Jake is safe and sound back on hos original body and uniform bounce .

Xavion2004 wrote:There’s a new Jake?!?  What the frock?!?

Wink

I think it’s a testament to your story telling that Jake 1.0 is so beloved, but at least we’ll still be able to see him in cameos from time to time.  I’ll miss him, but I’m sure it won’t take long before Jake 2.0 becomes the Roger Moore to Jake 1.0’s Sean Connery.  Both are iconic.

Original Jake will no doubt make a few appearances and I have no intention of changing my avatar, so he will always be here. As I was saying to Ian above, I'm sure new Jake will pick up the stories and become just as liked bounce
Really grateful of the support, thank you!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum