OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

3D Printing Projects in 1/6

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

13D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:30 am

Diana

Diana
As mentioned elsewhere I got a new 3D printer! Haven't even unpacked it, but my mind is racing!!

SO! Any ideas? I doubt I could print weapons or anything that needs such minute detail. Would hate to sand them down, too.
I'm thinking:

• shoes
  • chairs, tables, etc.
  • layered backdrops as the one recently advertised with John Wick!
  • stands for head sculpts (I already have two styles designed and printed.)

23D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:57 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Which model did you get?

I always wanted to do helmets and hats because the commercial ones are way overpriced.

If you use ABS plastic, you can smooth it using acetone fumes.

33D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:10 am

Diana

Diana
Not sure. (It was a gift.) Pretty sure it's a Flashforge, but don't know which model. I'll supply that info asap. Smile

Helmets. Cool! Not sure how tricky it would be to get the design right in a 3D program. Getting the curve just right and the fit within. I think that would be easier with clay, no? Grab a head, protect it with film or something, press fimo on top and then shape it as desired.

Sweet!! Thanks for the tip regarding smoothing! Opens up all new possibilities! Very Happy

43D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:50 am

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Here is what ya do: Get a program like Blender or whatever, go buy whatever 3D model you think you need in 1:6 scale, print it, profit. With any decent 3D program you can simply load any 3D model from whatever 3D model Store front like turbosquid or even right out of games and mods and then you should be able to 3D print them, so you dont even have to do them from scratch if you dont want to.

So helmets should not be a problem, same with weapons and armor.

53D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:49 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
There are tons of helmets already available on the 3D sharing sites.

63D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Ovy

Ovy
I can recommend this thred documenting Tjolnirs journey with a 3d printer, using a lot of Fallout game models: https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t618p88-first-major-steps-with-my-3d-printer-update-04-01?highlight=3d+printer

73D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:43 am

Diana

Diana
SWEET! Thank you very much for the info! Very Happy

83D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:08 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I realize you said no weapons, but if you ever did decide to do those, I'd have a request which would make my customizing life SO much better, and that is... custom lightsabers? Even just the hilts would be better than nothing. But with blades too, that would be incredible. :3

ETA: Alternatively, if anyone is aware of someone who already prints such things, let me know! :p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

93D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:10 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
There are some metal lightsabre keychains on ebay and aliexpress that are pretty good. The blade is too short but the handle is well detailed and the right scale. Just grind off the loop on the end. I have the one on the left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Star-Wars-Keychain-Lightsaber-Laser-Sword-Weapons-Model-Key-Ring-Holder/254050956394

3D Printing Projects in 1/6 S-l1600

103D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:17 am

Diana

Diana
skywalkersaga wrote:custom lightsabers? Even just the hilts would be better than nothing. But with blades too, that would be incredible. :3
It's totally worth a try! Anything that small is, really, since the material cost is tiny. So once I've got things up and running I'll be happy to try it out! If you have a file or know of one online send it my way! Otherwise it may take a while... ^^;

shazzdan wrote:There are some metal lightsabre keychains on ebay and aliexpress that are pretty good. The blade is too short but the handle is well detailed and the right scale. Just grind off the loop on the end. I have the one on the left.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-Star-Wars-Keychain-Lightsaber-Laser-Sword-Weapons-Model-Key-Ring-Holder/254050956394
Oh those are awesome!! Great find!

113D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:13 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yeah thanks for that link, shazzdan!

And AerynDiana , I’ll have a scrounge around and see what I can find, file-wise.

123D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:46 am

Diana

Diana
I've started having fun with the printer (and working with Blender, thank you ZeroDelta!). As mentioned I was already playing around with ways to store head sculpts in a way that actually looks good. This was my test print to see whether it all fits. It does, even if it doesn't look it due to the angle I photographed these.

Working on designing the box around it now. With a slide-in see-through window in the front and a removable lid. Will see whether I'll cut acrylic glass or whether I'll get transparent filament and print the window instead. I suppose I could use the transparent filament for the entire thing, but I appreciate the contrast... Smile

I'm creating a small 5x5cm box for short hair styles and a large 5x10cm box for long hair styles. So they'll stack neatly on top of each other. Very Happy

Question Would you be interested in these?
Question White, black, transparent or wood?

3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Hs_box123D Printing Projects in 1/6 Hs_box103D Printing Projects in 1/6 Hs_box11

133D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They look very good Diana. And the levitating head effect is very cool! Smile

143D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:43 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's a great idea, Diana! I would be potentially interested in one longer hair version at the very least. Would you consider making any that would fit a male headsculpt?

ETA: regarding the lightsaber thing.... I am still interested in that as well, though I'm struggling to find a file with the necessary 3D design. I've pretty much figured out that all I really need are a couple of clear lightsaber 'blades', as I could probably quite easily sculpt the hilts myself. But making translucent blades is something entirely outside of my range of abilities, lol, and purchasing them is not always possible, especially when it comes to harder to find colours.

153D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very cool floating effect, as Guv said. Nice to see you having fun with your new printer.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

3D Printing Projects in 1/6 C8485110

163D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:05 am

Diana

Diana
Thanks everybody! Smile

skywalkersaga wrote:Would you consider making any that would fit a male headsculpt?
Definitely. Only I don't have one. Are the connectors different? Or the head size? If you have a specific one in mind feel free to send me a link and if I like it I'll get it myself. ^^

Regarding the lightsaber: I can imagine making clear blades, and translucent filament does exist in various colors. Would necessarily want to buy a whole spool for just a couple of blades though... ^^ But I've seen assortments of various colors. Maybe I'll find one with clear colors, too! cyclops

But how about these: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Clear-Acrylic-Rod-1-1-5-2-3-4-5-6mm-Diameter-x250mm-Long-Round-Perspex-Solid-Bar/223734716320?hash=item3417a0d7a0ⓂmpiulcxXftFXnd33nxlIPfA (Don't know whether they could be colored in.)

Otherwise what diameter do you need?

173D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:13 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
AerynDiana wrote:Thanks everybody! Smile

skywalkersaga wrote:Would you consider making any that would fit a male headsculpt?
Definitely. Only I don't have one. Are the connectors different? Or the head size? If you have a specific one in mind feel free to send me a link and if I like it I'll get it myself. ^^

Regarding the lightsaber: I can imagine making clear blades, and translucent filament does exist in various colors. Would necessarily want to buy a whole spool for just a couple of blades though... ^^ But I've seen assortments of various colors. Maybe I'll find one with clear colors, too!  cyclops

But how about these: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Clear-Acrylic-Rod-1-1-5-2-3-4-5-6mm-Diameter-x250mm-Long-Round-Perspex-Solid-Bar/223734716320?hash=item3417a0d7a0ⓂmpiulcxXftFXnd33nxlIPfA (Don't know whether they could be colored in.)

Otherwise what diameter do you need?

I will PM you more details! Smile

183D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Diana

Diana
After many failures my first success!!

Will have to
1) make an adapter for HT since the HT BW sits quite loosely.
2) add a mechanism to keep the lid down.
3) create a Kumik adapter, cause they won’t work at all.

That custom Polaris was sitting too high with that insert, but she sits just fine without it.

My first 3D make!! Yay!! Very Happy

3D Printing Projects in 1/6 30365310 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 1df82610  3D Printing Projects in 1/6 1ca0da10 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 6cd16610 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 A0659f10 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 A2bd2b10 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 E2bf0e10 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 7d3d3c10

193D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those are looking good so far!

203D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Diana

Diana
Thank you!! Can’t wait to store them all in these boxes! So much nicer than those boxes with foam bricks, which cause friction on the hair unless you additionally wrap the head in plastic... Ugh! 😁

213D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:00 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done, Diana. A success indeed!

223D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty cool little boxes.

233D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:09 am

Diana

Diana
GubernatorFan wrote:Very nicely done, Diana. A success indeed!
Stryker2011 wrote:Pretty cool little boxes.

Thank you very much!

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to print them on demand. Just gotta work out the details first.

243D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:57 am

Diana

Diana
Time for an update! I've printed a few by now and the print quality is reliably good, though I'm just noticing that the texture at the front bugs me, so I'll have to look into that.
I also found a reliable way of cutting the glass without scratching it. I'll be trying out a local supplier for real clear custom cut glass though. While the milky glass looks fine I think real glass would be nicer, though more breakable...
I have 6x6 and 6x9 boxes now. 6x12 will be next, cause Nancy could use it. Very Happy
Nice surprise: Kumik connector fits, too! That Kimi head could use a little blu tack though. HT heads, too, but I'll work out an adapter for HT, cause they are just too loose at this point.

3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Img_7610

253D Printing Projects in 1/6 Empty Re: 3D Printing Projects in 1/6 Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:57 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice. Cool that you made different sizes to accommodate longer hair styles.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum