OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
----------------------------------------------------------------------
HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS New Products: 1/6 Empire Series-Dragon Banner Bearer
Barcode:6974202930158
configuration list:
-1/6 head sculpt
-Movable body
-8 replacement hands
clothing:
- Jacket
- Pants
-Helmet (metal)
-Wristband
-Belt
- shoe
-Chain armor
Accessories:
-Long sword (metal)
-Short sword (metal)
-Shield
-Round platform

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16025410
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16025510
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16025810
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030010
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030110
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030210
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030410
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030610
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030710
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030711
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16030810
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031010
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031110
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031210
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031410
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031510
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031610
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031710
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16031910
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16032110
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16032211
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16032312
hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) 16032413

#newproduct #HHModel #HaoyuToys #EmpireSeries #DragonBannerFlagman #historical #military

Valiarde

Valiarde
Steve Carell?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks a little too intense for Steve, and square-jawed.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) C8485110

Diana

Diana
Love the intense expression! That's one head sculpt I wouldn't mind having... I'd even go buy a body for it! Very Happy

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Don't immediately recognised the sculpt, so it would be good for original characters...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

shazzdan

shazzdan
They keep making mail that hangs in the wrong direction. It is a waste of all that work to turn out something that looks so silly.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
A somewhat loose interpretation, too be sure, but still a cool standard bearer. Getting rid of some extra elements would make him almost accurate, and convey something of the right general idea. The head sculpt is pretty nice too.

Skippy

This draconarius was inspired by this illustration (the shield design and yellow spotted tunic):

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) Roman-cavalry-jpg

The hippika gymnasia (Greek: ἱππικὰ γυμνάσια, "horse exercises") were ritual tournaments performed by the cavalry of the Roman Empire to both practice their skills and display their expertise.[1] They took place on a parade ground situated outside a fort and involved the cavalry practicing manoeuvring and the handling of weapons such as javelins and spears.[2] The riders and their mounts wore highly elaborate armour and helmets specially made for display purposes, decorated with images from classical mythology.[3] Such tournaments served several purposes, improving the riders' skills, helping to build unit morale and impressing dignitaries and conquered peoples.[2]

The participants in the hippika gymnasia would have been an impressive sight for those who saw them; as one writer has put it, "a cavalcade of richly armoured horses and men – who in their masked helmets with silvered faces looked like divine beings."[5] The riders wore brightly coloured tunics – which seems to have evolved into decorated bronze armour by the 3rd century – and very ornate greaves and helmets with face masks. As Arrian described them,

The horsemen enter [the parade ground] fully armed, and those of high rank or superior in horsemanship wear gilded helmets of iron or bronze to draw the attention of the spectators. Unlike the helmets made for active service, these do not cover the head and cheeks only but are made to fit all round the faces of the riders with apertures for the eyes . . . From the helmets hang yellow plumes, a matter of décor as much as utility. As the horses move forward, the slightest breeze adds to the beauty of these plumes. They carry oblong shields of a lighter type than those used in action, since both agility and smart turnout are the objects of the exercise and they improve the appearance of their shields by embellishment. Instead of breastplates the horsemen wear close-fitting Cimmerian tunics [leather jerkins] embroidered with scarlet, red or blue and other colours. On their legs they wear tight trousers, not loosely fitting like those of the Parthians and Armenians. The horses have frontlets carefully made to measure and also have side armour.[6]

Substantial archaeological evidence has been found of such "sports equipment", as it has been dubbed. A hoard of cavalry display armour dating to the 3rd century AD was discovered at Straubing in Bavaria in 1950. It included extraordinarily elaborate horse armour, greaves, helmets and other pieces of armour.[5] Many more "sports helmets" have been recovered from other locations. They were made from a variety of metals and alloys, often from gold-coloured alloys or iron covered with tin. They were decorated with embossed reliefs and engravings depicting the war god Mars and other divine and semi-divine figures associated with the military. One of the Newstead Helmets from Scotland, for instance, is embossed with a naked winged figure of Cupid driving a chariot.[7]

The helmets were of both "male" and "female" types, portraying the wearers as Greeks or Amazons. These were apparently commonly competing teams in the hippika gymnasia, which may also have involved re-enactments of other scenes from classical tradition.[3] The female helmets can be recognised by their sculpted hairstyles and other distinctively female elements such as diadems, ribbons and jewels. They were often equipped with the full-face masks mentioned by Arrian in his account. The faces depicted were not always those of Romans, as some were clearly intended to portray easterners.[8]

The origin of these very elaborate helmets is uncertain but appears not to have been Rome. Various origins have been suggested, including a theory that they came from Rome's eastern provinces. They were produced from the early 1st century AD through to the mid-3rd century.[7] Although they are relatively light, they appear to have been worn in battle as well as for display purposes. One such helmet was found at the site of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest, where three Roman legions were wiped out by Germans in 9 AD. It was perhaps worn by an officer or standard-bearer who intended its imposing appearance to intimidate his enemies on the battlefield.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippika_gymnasia

The draconarius was a type of signifer who bore a cavalry standard known as a draco in the Roman army.

Strictly speaking, the word draconarius denotes the bearer of the military standard on which a dragon was represented.[1] The term passed into Christian usage, and was applied to the bearer of the labarum in battle, and also to cross-bearers in church processions. [2]

From the conquered Dacians, the Romans in Trajan's time borrowed the dragon ensign which became the standard of the cohort as the eagle was that of the legion.[3] Of Dacian, Sarmatian in origin, the draco was later generally introduced in the fourth century as a Roman standard.[4]

It consisted of a bronze dragon head with a fabric body similar in shape to a tail behind it. Wind flowed through the gaping mouth and billowed out the cloth tail much like a modern windsock. It is thought that some form of whistle was mounted in the dragon's neck to make a terrifying noise when galloping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draconarius

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Asta comes through in both threads. Thank you for sharing.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) C8485110

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:Asta comes through in both threads. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks.Smile

I don't get to come in here very often, as my new duties at CF keep me occupied more over there.

In fact, most of the time it's only me over there. Admin Angie pops in and out, as I think she probably manages a number of forums. Darth Snoopy seems to be the only other active moderator, but he's busy a lot of the time.

It's good though.

As for the Romans, I've neglected them since Kaustic Plastik moved onto other things. None of the HH/HY releases have tempted me too much because they were either too fantastic, or duplicating what I already had. The trumpeteer almost got me.

That was until the Carthaginian mercenary appeared, and then this draconarius.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks Asta, I think you're right, this is very much based on that illustration, I'm glad you were able to locate it. Note the absence of vambraces and greaves (which I expected to be HY+HH add-ons) and, more surprisingly, the standard military belt (which would at least be realistic per se).
What is Kaustic Plastik doing these days, if anything?

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks Asta, I think you're right, this is very much based on that illustration, I'm glad you were able to locate it. Note the absence of vambraces and greaves (which I expected to be HY+HH add-ons) and, more surprisingly, the standard military belt (which would at least be realistic per se).
What is Kaustic Plastik doing these days, if anything?

KP has moved into film star likenesses dressed as their famous characters, partnering up with Infinite Studios.

That is, they're obtaining likeness rights rather than movie rights.

The first in the line was Bud Spencer, the Italian actor, dressed as his character from the Trinity series of spaghetti westerns.

Next was Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau (with no mention of The Pink Panther).

Then John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn from True Grit (with not character or movie reference).

The latest pre-order is Bela Lugosi as Dracula up for pre-order, but without Universal licensing.

A shame that they completely ditched the Romans and gladiators.

With the HH/HY the bracers will obviously have to go, but I think the greaves are okay since KP used them on their auxiliary cavalryman, and they usually work from a source.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the info on KP's new focus. Yes, that is disappointing. But then again so was the glue used in their otherwise very promising sets. Smile Maybe they just got tired of the same thing, although they could have gotten into some hoplites -- there are Greek helmets no one has done yet, and they could have simpler outfits.

As for the Draconarius, yes, best take off the vambraces. One can use the greaves with another figure -- after a certain point in time they appear to have been worn only by centurions as a mark of their rank -- until they were recalled from those too. Trajan's campaign in Dacia involved outfitting legionaries with both greaves and manicae, supposedly to protect from the Dacian war scythe (although there is some evidence that this was already done before in other places, and never became standard legionary equipment).

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thanks for the info on KP's new focus. Yes, that is disappointing. But then again so was the glue used in their otherwise very promising sets. Smile Maybe they just got tired of the same thing, although they could have gotten into some hoplites -- there are Greek helmets no one has done yet, and they could have simpler outfits.

Now that you mention them, I'm sure KP did tease a pair of hoplites. But nothing came of it.

GubernatorFan wrote:As for the Draconarius, yes, best take off the vambraces. One can use the greaves with another figure -- after a certain point in time they appear to have been worn only by centurions as a mark of their rank -- until they were recalled from those too. Trajan's campaign in Dacia involved outfitting legionaries with both greaves and manicae, supposedly to protect from the Dacian war scythe (although there is some evidence that this was already done before in other places, and never became standard legionary equipment).

I didn't know the history of Roman greave usage.

They might be particular to the spectacle of the hippika gymnasia, as the wiki page notes they wore "very ornate greaves".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippika_gymnasia

KP's auxiliary cavalryman was a heavily armoured version:

hhmodel - NEW PRODUCT: HHMODEL & HAOYUTOYS: 1/6 Empire Series - Dragon Flagman Moving Puppet (#HH18044) Kp16-4

I woke up this morning having second thoughts about the draconarius, because he's maybe too specifically in 'tournament' dress.

I'm more taken by the Oscan mercenary as a good representation of an Italian of the Republic era.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I prefer the Oscan too, perhaps because I already have a masked helmet. The Draconarius may have worn this type of helmet even in battle. The vambraces and greaves are very unlikely to be correct even on KP's cavalryman, and I have removed mine.

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:I prefer the Oscan too, perhaps because I already have a masked helmet. The Draconarius may have worn this type of helmet even in battle. The vambraces and greaves are very unlikely to be correct even on KP's cavalryman, and I have removed mine.

I think they took the design from an Osprey book, but the link to the image on CF is broken now.

It'll probably be in Roman Heavy Cavalry (1), which I don't have a copy of and can't find a download for that I trust.

Skippy

Didn't spot the image in the above book, but found their Roman Auxiliary Cavalryman, which is where the Draconarius came from:

https://docer.pl/doc/85e5ve

Still can't find KP's source for their cavalryman.

shazzdan

shazzdan
The majority of Osprey books aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Some are excellent, but they are the exception.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Here is a link to Roman Heavy Cavalry (1) that I trust:
https://book4you.org/book/3675700/3c95f6

There is a Draconarius in Plate E but looks a bit different. The Auxiliary cavalry Draconarius appears to be the major source for the figure, to which they added some extra pieces, some of them more fantasy (vambraces and in this instance probably the greaves too) than others (belt).

There is often enough room for speculation and argument, but the Osprey publications are pretty good at discussing and illustrating the evidence that they base their conclusions on.

shazzdan

shazzdan
The best thing to use Osprey for is their photos of original artefacts. Their reconstructions are usually fanciful.

ahbake

Can't have enough Romans!
But I really prefer sandals that are not sculpted on the feet, it looks terribly cheap when they do that.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ahbake wrote:Can't have enough Romans! But I really prefer sandals that are not sculpted on the feet, it looks terribly cheap when they do that.

I agree completely, even if they are a mess to tie up when that is left to the buyer (as ACI -- I think -- did). Even the old Ignite ones had seaparate plastic leather-like caligae. For the most part the HY&HH sandaled feet are pretty well done, sometimes with an upper portion of straps that goes beyond where the foot stops, but only a real separate sandal and foot would ever really look quite right if one pays attention to details.

shazzdan

shazzdan
ahbake wrote:Can't have enough Romans!
But I really prefer sandals that are not sculpted on the feet, it looks terribly cheap when they do that.
If you have ever tried to tie on the sandals that come with some Roman figures, you will develop a whole new appreciation for sculpted sandals.

ahbake

shazzdan wrote:
ahbake wrote:Can't have enough Romans!
If you have ever tried to tie on the sandals that come with some Roman figures, you will develop a whole new appreciation for sculpted sandals.

I had to do the sandals of a few ACI figures, and it was indeed character building...
But still, I'd rather spend some time doing that than having to see those awful sculpted sandals.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The best of both worlds: separate feet and sandals, but they tie them up for you at the factory. Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum