OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Custom Tifa Lockhart

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 am

Fox915

Fox915
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I last visited. I've been working on my custom Tifa Lockhart from the video game Final Fantasy 7 Remake for the past 4 months. Tifa has always been my favorite character ever since the original game came out in the late 90's. This is her new/modern look from the recent game.
Custom Tifa Lockhart PMrwoHO
Custom Tifa Lockhart 5eZ757F
Custom Tifa Lockhart JrJypQY
Custom Tifa Lockhart MZzuyHC

Before I started this project, several companies have attempted to make Tifa. After purchasing the 3 different brands, I was dissatisfied by the likeness and the quality of the outfits, I had to make my own version. For the head sculpt, I went with a custom piece by a small studio. As for the outfit, I made them (excluding the skirt) from scratch using high quality fabric, I try to tailor them to resemble her video game counterpart as much as possible.

Here's how they compare:
Custom Tifa Lockhart M8stWHU

When I said I wasn't happy with the quality of the ready-made outfits, here's what I meant. On the VS and Super Duck version, their material feels thick and coarse, and when layered atop each other, they are somewhat bulky. War Story's material is much finer, but I had issue with how see-through the white fabric is, and the black undershirt is just sewn around the edges instead of being 2 separate pieces. As for the leggings, most of them fit somewhat loosely and tend to sag.

Here's a closer look, hope you can make out the difference:
Custom Tifa Lockhart Iq1vZ8Z

Here's some pictures documenting how I go about making her outfit:
Custom Tifa Lockhart 8Mz2ske

[1]. In all 3 brands, they gave her either black or white underpants. In the game, she wears black shorts under the skirt. So that is what I made.
[2]. I'm prototyping her tank top using scrap fabric. I'm doing it very crudely, using tape to fix it together. I just needed to see how they fit and make adjustments without spending too much time.
[3]. I'm jotting down the dimensions for the tank tops, made several adjustments and iterations. I think I went through 3 iterations before reaching the final one I'm happy with.
[4]. I'm making new leather straps for her suspenders. All the 3rd party ones were either too long or inaccurate.
[5]. I took War Story's skirt apart and modified it to better fit her smaller proportions (it was originially made for the more muscular S20A), then I attached new straps to it.
[6]. Laid out on the table are all the 3rd party pieces I've replaced.
[7]. This is just an interim head sculpt I used while I wait patiently for the custom one to arrive.
[7]. This is my simple setup. I use 1 main light source (from the top) and 1 flash as a fill light. And a handheld diffuser for softer lighting.

Overall, I'm really happy with how she turned out. I hope you've enjoyed this post. Thank you for looking.

2Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:07 am

Diana

Diana
She looks incredible!! And you clearly got the sewing skills I wish I had. Laughing
Do you take commissions? What a Face

I was tempted by the War Story Tifa the most, but settled for the SD 1/12 version, which I'm very much looking forward to unpacking. Very Happy

3Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:29 am

blackpool

blackpool
wow! same question for me, do you take comissions...? Cause you got mad skills!

4Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:30 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Really nice work and i really like that you compared the versions of WS, Super Duck and VS so closesly. If you had to choose one, which do you think is the best version?

But your own version rocks and is like out of the game! PErfect and thanks for the interesting read

5Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s an excellent custom. Nice job. Really impressive.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Custom Tifa Lockhart C8485110

6Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautiful work and very impressive attention to detail and dedication to reproducing it correctly. Those clothes-making skills of yours came very useful. Nicely presented, too.

7Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:55 pm

thegreatshaggy

thegreatshaggy
Nicely done. I picked up the War Story version and are satisfied with their effort knowing that we'll never get a version on HT quality but yours comes the closes I've seen. Great job

8Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:17 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Agree with everyone's comments -- that is some very beautiful and skilled tailoring!

The custom head you used is also very unique and has a lot of character. It definitely stands out from the others, which are nice but seem a little generic in comparison.

A result to be proud of, for sure!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

9Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:46 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Absolutely beautiful work.  I noticed the difference n the quality of the clothing immediately, and the head sculpt is very attractive.

10Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:08 am

Fox915

Fox915
Diana wrote:She looks incredible!! And you clearly got the sewing skills I wish I had. Laughing
Do you take commissions? What a Face

I was tempted by the War Story Tifa the most, but settled for the SD 1/12 version, which I'm very much looking forward to unpacking. Very Happy
blackpool wrote:wow! same question for me, do you take comissions...? Cause you got mad skills!

Thank you, unfortunately I cannot do anything at the moment. My country is prohibiting all personal (non-business) PayPal accounts from receiving/holding funds. As a hobbyist I do not qualify.

Valiarde wrote:Really nice work and i really like that you compared the versions of WS, Super Duck and VS so closesly. If you had to choose one, which do you think is the best version?

But your own version rocks and is like out of the game! PErfect and thanks for the interesting read

Thank you, it’s a tough choice if I could get only one, as each brand has its own merits despite some of their shortcomings.

Here’s my opinion:

VS - Most accurate shoes (and most articulation from the split cut design), detailed glove hands, and good harness. Would rank them last in terms of likeness of the head sculpt.

War Story - I end up using/modding their skirt. Out of the three, would rank them first on their leg and arm sleeves in terms of materials and stitching quality (still a little loose on a non-muscular body). The head sculpt I feel was a little underwhelming and to my eyes slightly undersized.

Super Duck - I find their head sculpt the most attractive out of the three. Their skirt I would say is on par with War Story’s in terms of looks and quality. Although I have yet to try it on, I suspect the fit to be a little too loose, judging from other's images they seem a little floaty if that makes sense.

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s an excellent custom. Nice job. Really impressive.
GubernatorFan wrote:Beautiful work and very impressive attention to detail and dedication to reproducing it correctly. Those clothes-making skills of yours came very useful. Nicely presented, too.
thegreatshaggy wrote:Nicely done. I picked up the War Story version and are satisfied with their effort knowing that we'll never get a version on HT quality but yours comes the closes I've seen. Great job
skywalkersaga wrote:Agree with everyone's comments -- that is some very beautiful and skilled tailoring!

The custom head you used is also very unique and has a lot of character. It definitely stands out from the others, which are nice but seem a little generic in comparison.

A result to be proud of, for sure!

Thank you so much guys Custom Tifa Lockhart 1f60a.

Xavion2004 wrote:Absolutely beautiful work.  I noticed the difference n the quality of the clothing immediately, and the head sculpt is very attractive.

I’m so glad  Custom Tifa Lockhart 1f60a. I was a little disheartened when someone on social media told me they honestly couldn't tell the difference between the outfits. So thank you, it really means a lot to me when someone notices or appreciates the little details and intricacies.

11Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:02 am

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Fox915 wrote:
Super Duck - I find their head sculpt the most attractive out of the three. Their skirt I would say is on par with War Story’s in terms of looks and quality. Although I have yet to try it on, I suspect the fit to be a little too loose, judging from other's images they seem a little floaty if that makes sense.

Yes, it does make sense. I’ve found skirts to be problematic. It seems that no matter how tight the belt is, they want to settle around the thinnest part of the waist which tends to be just above the belly button. The VS version was especially bad, at least on the second production run.

What I like about the Super Duck version is that because it is so loose, it sits where it’s supposed to just above the hips instead of riding up on the figure. It looks like you found a way to get the skirt tight and stay in place which is one of the many advantage of being able to make your own clothing.

12Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:58 am

Fox915

Fox915
Xavion2004 wrote:Yes, it does make sense.  I’ve found skirts to be problematic.  It seems that no matter how tight the belt is, they want to settle around the thinnest part of the waist which tends to be just above the belly button.  The VS version was especially bad, at least on the second production run.

What I like about the Super Duck version is that because it is so loose, it sits where it’s supposed to just above the hips instead of riding up on the figure.  It looks like you found a way to get the skirt tight and stay in place which is one of the many advantage of being able to make your own clothing.

The VS skirt on mine was so tight that it left imprints around the waist. And also I find that the folds don't keep their shape, they tend to flare out.

The WS skirt has built-in underpants, so that really helps it stay in place and not rise up. I think that's a really good solution.

13Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:48 am

Diana

Diana
Fox915 wrote:Thank you, unfortunately I cannot do anything at the moment. My country is prohibiting all personal (non-business) PayPal accounts from receiving/holding funds. As a hobbyist I do not qualify.
Ah yes, we've been through this in the Athletic Wear thread, I think. Such a shame! I hope you'll find a way, because I would buy some basics and maybe some custom pieces from you. Smile

14Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:49 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Absolutely beautiful custom work.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Custom Tifa Lockhart 1f60e

15Custom Tifa Lockhart Empty Re: Custom Tifa Lockhart Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:02 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Just in case one of you needs more Tifa stuff, Toy Anxiety just parted out the YM Goddess of Fantasy version.
https://toyanxiety.com/search.php?search_query=goddess%20of%20fantasy§ion=product

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum