OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phicen and Executive Replicas

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 1:38 pm

gooboo

An interesting post came up on a facebook group I frequent talking about the relationship between Phicen and ER I thought some here would be interested in.

"Despite what I was told by my reps at Phicen, it seems that the relationship between them and Executive Replicas is over.  
ER is the group that obtains the rights to license these figures from their respective owners.......for example, ARH Comix licenses their characters to ER, and ER licenses the toy rights to Phicen.  As you've already seen, the last two years, ER has been going with a manufacturer that only makes 1/12 scale figures, and jointed ones at that.  So they've left the 1/6 scale market entirely it seems. The last figure they were collaborating on was the Taarna Heavy Metal figure, sadly.  It was cancelled, I believe, due to the partnership falling apart.  

Personally speaking, I've spoken several times of the "issues" I've had with ER's owner, Winston Dunlop.  He's known wide and far to be very hard to work with.  Despite this, I was looking forward to owning that Taarna figure (finally, after years of begging Phicen to make one), and also for the ARH mermaid, of which a prototype was made, photographed, and even shown on ARH's own page as "coming soon".  

The mermaid bit in particular seemed to be of interest to people here since I've seen more than one member talk about it before. I knew ER was the licensee of some older properties, but I didn't know they also were in charge of ARH's stuff too. A lot of Phicen's earlier figures were ARH figures. Doesn't seem like we'll be getting anymore ARH charcters- including the mermaid. Unless Phicen decides to make their own mermaid.

2Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 2:52 pm

davidd

davidd
That's unfortunate news. The Executive Replicas / TBLeague Purgatori figures, in both 1/6 and 1/12, are among my favorite action figures.

3Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 2:54 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
While I have no personal investment in any lines of Phicen/Tbleague figures, I know a lot of others will be very disappointed by this news.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 5:06 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Yay!!!  No more licensed properties, just TBLeague originals!!!  Rolling Eyes

Oh, how I would have loved an official 1/6 Taarna.  Ironically, I just got the 1/12 Taarna licensed by Executive Replicas and made by Loose Collector.   Loose Collector is the Bret Hart of 1/12 customizers; the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.   He created works of art. Now he’s aligned himself with Executive Replicas and entered the mass produced action figure business.  Lady Death and Taarna have been released, Hellwitch is next, and Red Sonja, Vampirella and Purgatory are on their way.  La Muerta and Sheena are rumored.   See any similarities here?

Lady Death went over pretty well, but Taarna has been a disaster.  So much so that many customers are now cancelling (or threatening to cancel) their preorders for the remaining figures that were solicited.  I have Taarna (with Avis) and I’m okay with her, but she was $120 after shipping which In the 1/6 would would be like a $350+ figure.  The ire is over the price and the obvious aesthetic differences between the final figure and the promotional pics:

Promotional pics:

Phicen and Executive Replicas 30424910

Phicen and Executive Replicas 9fb9e910

Production figure (Yes, this is mine.  I’m sure most of you recognize the stunning backdrops.  Very Happy )

Phicen and Executive Replicas 5d876b10

Phicen and Executive Replicas A7fd8010

The figure came with two head sculpts like in the promo pics, but as you can see, they are basically the same.  Now from a 1/6 standpoint, you’re probably thinking “So?  That happens all the time.”  Not in 1/12 it doesn’t, and certainly not to this degree.   I imagine Winston isn’t thrilled with Loose Collector right now.   He needs to hit the next two or three of his figures out of the park.  He catches a break with Hellwitch because, like Lady Death, she has no pupils (and is therefore much more forgiving), but Red Sonia and Vampirella will make or break him.  I wish him (Loose Collector) the best, because by all accounts, he’s a great person.

5Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 6:43 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, that sucks. Guess I'm never getting a mermaid now without coming up with a way to make one myself (like others have done). Doesn't surprise me that ER and TBL parted ways, however. I heard ER is a bit of a nightmare to work with.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Phicen and Executive Replicas C8485110

6Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 pm

gooboo

I wonder what makes ER so difficult to deal with from a manufacturing side of things.

7Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I don't want to sound overly dismissive, but that Taarna figure looks like she'd be super easy to create in 1/6.... all those who want one, go forth and make her yourself! Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Sat May 28, 2022 7:47 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed that absolutely does suck. I was really hoping to get that Hope (Lady Death) figure that I've seen the prototype of a few years ago.

9Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Mon May 30, 2022 11:17 am

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
@Xavion. Oh so Loosecollector went into the mass production himself. I wasn't aware of that.
Sorry I'm totally clueless on this and relying on my limited knowledge of the industry.
I was thinking he was only the one who did the design, prototype and art direction then it goes into mass production by a Chinese factory.

I remember his fantastic Marvel Legend scale customs decades ago when i was active in the PTK forum.

10Phicen and Executive Replicas Empty Re: Phicen and Executive Replicas Mon May 30, 2022 1:00 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
rollotomasi wrote:@Xavion. Oh so Loosecollector went into the mass production himself. I wasn't aware of that.
Sorry I'm totally clueless on this and relying on my limited knowledge of the industry.
I was thinking he was only the one who did the design, prototype and art direction then it goes into mass production by a Chinese factory.

I remember his fantastic Marvel Legend scale customs decades ago when i was active in the PTK forum.

No, you had it right. What I was trying to say is that he built his reputation as a customizer, and now he’s started his own toy company.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum