OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello there!

It's been a while since I took some photos, in part because some personal issues that lead me to take a break from stuff. During that time I still kept putting together stuff and taking apart stuff I had already created because I didn't like how they looked but hey, I'm back! I don't know if any of you remember when I said "No MoRe aLt HiStOrY" or something like that? yeah I sort of lied... when an idea comes along and it sounds really good I simply have to put it together and see if it works, if it doesn't then I generally just regret all the choices that lead me that way, including buying expensive stuff 🙃. But anyway how did this figure came to be? Well I was reading about conflicts from the 1914's in Latin America and all that and I started to think in alt history, one thing lead to the next and I decided on once again, an independent PR but this time less German and more early on.
So what's the story? In 1868 the Grito de Lares takes place, an uprising against the Spanish Government, which in our timeline was not successful due to some members being not so discreet and talking about the plan near some soldiers as a result the uprising was moved and everything rushed, guns didn't reach the rebels and rather quickly the local troops managed to arrest those responsible for it though PR did not become a new republic it did manage to get the Spanish government to grant more autonomy to Puerto Rico.

Blood, Soil and Anger

In this timeline however the revolution is successful, Puerto Rico becomes an independent nation by 1874 thanks to support from other Latin American nations, its a new republic who at the beginning would struggle but by the late 1800's would find its footing thanks to industrialization. In 1898 the United States declares war on a weakened Spain after the sinking of the Maine, Puerto Rico's government who since 1874 had supported Cuban independence would support revolution by sending weapons, ammunition and even volunteers to fight against the Spanish, however things would take a different turn. On December 10 1898 it became obvious that Cuba would not be independent and instead would become part of the US per the treaty of Paris (Which handed over Cuba and the Philippines to the US), this move would sour the relationship between the US and Puerto Rico with president of Puerto Rico calling the US government "An untrustworthy ruffian who has betrayed the principles of liberty." The relations between the two countries would slowly deteriorate, specially by the early 1900's when Puerto Rico agreed to let the German Empire build a coaling station for German merchants ships in the island of Culebra.

By the 1910's Puerto Rico's military had been upgraded, albeit not fully modernized. A local production of Mauser rifles along with increased production of leather and textile goods allowed for the military to adopt a standard uniform and equipment. The uniform, made of tan cotton sported four pockets and wide legged pants, the military did not adopt a helmet until the late 1930's instead adopting a peaked cap for soldiers and a campaign hat for officers, the uniforms for both where identical. Equipment wise the military copied Spanish style equipment including the harness, one thing the army did not standardize was canteens and each soldier used whatever they wanted which ranged from commercially available items to gourds.  By 1913 the military would upgrade its artillery pieces and would also replace the old guns at San Juan, Ponce and Arecibo along with improvements to the protective capabilities of the forts there. In 1914 the US occupies Haiti, in 1916 the Dominican Republic and four months later the US ambassador to Puerto Rico is shot and injured by a man belonging to "La Coalicion Antillana"  (The Antillean Coalition) a revolutionary group that originated in Puerto Rico but that was also present in Cuba, this would lead the US to blockade Puerto Rico a month later with US newspaper's calling PR a "savage land in need of education" local newspapers would also run similar headlines often depicting the US as a thief.  Puerto Rico would not be successful in fighting against the US though it would put a good fight. US troops would have trouble in the deep jungles and treacherous roads. By 1917 the war had drawn to a standstill with Puerto Rican troops entrenching themselves in a last stand.  With little ammunition left and greater difficulties in bringing in more supplies the republic would have no other choice but to accept the terms of surrender being offered. In 1918 a battered and destroyed Puerto Rico would sign the Madrid Treaty, bringing to an end the war, in it Puerto Rico agreed to give the western part of Puerto Rico to the US along with the islands of Culebra, Vieques, Mona and a sizeable portion of land in the eastern part of Puerto Rico, it would also agree to a cap on how many weapons could be produced or bought.
[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 HtQtC7W
Photography became very popular among the enlisted men, many photos of soldiers from the early months of the conflict show happy soldiers.

[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 KSe2bxR
A colorized photo of a Puerto Rican soldier taken sometime in 1916.

[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 Ky62at1
[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 B9bhuaf
[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 5q2509i
[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 NW6bMVP
[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 ZDKNILt
[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 2s0LlOJ
[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 U8AoSth

I'm sure that was a long read if anyone did read it but I tried to summarize my ideas and the world as much as possible. I originally started building a new backdrop for this guy but it has drawn on and I'm not sure when It will be finished to I dusted off the old trans-dimensional door of mystery for this. Currently I'm redoing some of my dystopic mercenaries (this is like the 4th time) and also bashing up some new policemen and a few bounty hunters. I'm also making a new urban/industrial wall too, and other than that I'm so far not working on anything else though I'm considering a few new things to put together, I just need the bravery to do it. Well, that would be all for now, on the time being stay safe and have fun out there.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
Seeing that door almost feels like coming home. Or visiting a destination you visited before as a kid. I like the 'coloree' black and white photo the most.

Are the leg wraps sculpted or real?

I said it before I think but I love how down to Earth you write your Alt history, no crazy power fantasies, but a lot of compromise.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The old trans-dimensional door looks perfect. As does his winning smile. Nice figure and backstory, as always.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Wow. Many thanks for the history about Purto Rico. This is one of Your best soldiers to me. Not easy to check out all the references and made the complete uniform and equipment.  Sounds like a proud litte nation. Great Work again, thanks for showing.

I´m sorry for Your personal problems, hope You are fine

cheers

Eph

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Another interesting alt history. And good looking figure. Glad to see you’re still at it — despite the personal setbacks.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 C8485110

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Dang that is very nicely put together, nice work!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ovy wrote:Seeing that door almost feels like coming home. Or visiting a destination you visited before as a kid. I like the 'coloree' black and white photo the most.

Are the leg wraps sculpted or real?

I said it before I think but I love how down to Earth you write your Alt history, no crazy power fantasies, but a lot of compromise.

Welcome home Ovy! The leg wraps are real and I had to go on youtube to learn (more or less) how to wrap them around a leg, I also got some bandages from the local pharmacy to practice on my own legs just to get an idea. I'm also glad you enjoyed the story.

GubernatorFan wrote:The old trans-dimensional door looks perfect. As does his winning smile. Nice figure and backstory, as always.
Thanks Gubernator, glad you liked it.

Ephiane wrote:Wow. Many thanks for the history about Purto Rico. This is one of Your best soldiers to me. Not easy to check out all the references and made the complete uniform and equipment.  Sounds like a proud litte nation. Great Work again, thanks for showing.

I´m sorry for Your personal problems, hope You are fine

cheers

Eph

Thanks Ephiane, glad to share some actual history and some not so real history. I'm glad you think its one of my best soldiers so far because I felt really proud once I finished this guy, thanks for your concern too, I've been doing much better since taking that little break.

Stryker2011 wrote:Another interesting alt history. And good looking figure. Glad to see you’re still at it — despite the personal setbacks.
Thanks Stryke, glad you liked it and you know how it is, the hobby is still the best way to deal with stuff.

PickleMunkey wrote:Dang that is very nicely put together, nice work!
Thanks PickleMunkey, glad you liked the guy, putting him together was interesting for sure.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] Armed Forces of Puerto Rico 1916 1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum