OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

RIP Chung Kim

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

26RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm

Xavion2004

ZeroDelta wrote:Well, that is unfortunate. I knew him from the Men with Dolls and one Sixth Warrior forums, but my interactions with him were rather limited. I do wonder if his hostility in recent years had something to do with his failing health, because I dont recall him starting out that way. Or he just became jaded and cynical after years in the hobby- Alas, we will never know......

Chung was always mercurial online.  He was like the Roddy Piper of 1/6.  Piper could go from beloved face to despised heel overnight and vice versa.  Of course Roddy was an incredibly gifted performer.  What drove Chung to such extremes will always remain a mystery to me.  The only thing I can tell you is that in person, I never…not once…saw even a hint of the volatility and hostility he displayed online.  I spent enough time around him that I would have seen it at some point.  Even someone on their best behavior is going to show some cracks eventually if they’re hiding their true nature.

27RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:59 pm

DJ

sad news. I remember him back from the old "Sandbox" days when things were just starting out in 1/6 action figures.

28RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:51 am

brassco

can someone send this link to his family to let them know how much Chung's being missed online?

29RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:57 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
brassco wrote:can someone send this link to his family to let them know how much Chung's being missed online?
Well, certain outbursts of meanness even under such circumstances might have to be edited out first. I have no contact with Chung's family.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

30RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:52 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Chung was an extremely private person, and I’m guessing his family is similar. I haven’t found anything so much as a memorial or obituary. They may be following his wishes to keep his life and passing private, and until I see something to the contrary, I think we should all respect that. Behind all his bluster and confrontation, much like Xavion, I knew a very different person, and I certainly wouldn’t want his family to see anything negative written about him. Most of us have skeletons in our closets, and I imagine none of us would like that aired upon our passing.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 C8485110

31RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very well put, Mark. Not to mention, an "event" like this ought to put things in perspective and decency (if nothing better) ought to surmount petty quarrels. I wish things had turned out better, in every sense. And I also failed to find an obituary when I looked. The frequency of the name Kim didn't help.

32RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:50 pm

Chip

I remember seeing his posts back in the old days of OSW . Can not say we bantered much , but it`s always sad to read the loss of someone like minded , as I recall I found a fair amount of his posts amusing , perhaps even if they were not intended that way .

33RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:24 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
I am just so sorry to see this news. I always imagined some day I'd get to have a drink with him. He was just such a big personality, and a presence on pretty much every forum I'd seen since I joined this hobby. He truly will be remembered by so many in this community, and it's heartbreaking to think he's no longer out there.

34RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:43 am

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Really sad news.
I knew of DFC over at OSW. I'm not sure if it's there or here but I recall being amused by his posts starting with "...You Know...".

35RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:16 am

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I still can’t believe he’s gone. It’s surreal to have all of this take place on a message board rather than speaking with a family member, attending a service, etc. There’s really no sense of closure. I know in my head that he’s gone, but as I told Mark last week when the news first broke, there’s a part of me that still believes he’s out there and that if I send him an e-mail, he’ll reply and tell me that he’s fine and that this is all some sort of misunderstanding. It’s just going to take some time as these things always do.

36RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:17 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Xavion, if only that were true. And if it were true, you just know it that he would have announced himself with something like "The news of my demise have been greatly exaggerated..." I think of this sort of thing as a fond memory.

37RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:40 am

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I'm very sorry to hear about this loss, both to those who knew him in real life and as part of our community. I never really know how to react when these kinds of things happen, it's all very saddening. My sincerest condolences to his friends and family.

38RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:41 am

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
Truely sad, almost surreal news. though i didnt get in contact with him personally via comments as far as i remember, i do recall his appearances on various boards. as for the way he chose to comment sometimes, i'd rather see it from this perspective: you can't state facts and not hurt somebodies opinions at the same time, or honestly critizise stuff truthfully and be the "good guy". the closer to the truth criticism is, the closer it hits home, but the farther it gets you in the end. i think it speaks for his love of this hobby that he took his energy to "stir things up" for a lack of better words and maybe keeping people on their toes to get better results in what they were trying to achieve.

39RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:48 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
RIP DFC!! Your often maddening but infectious posts and threads will definitely be missed! A slightly bonkers but great character on all the 1/6 figure forums I visit, past and present; a great loss of character to the future sadly.

40RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:14 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
So sad. I loved his comments for my Stuff in the old OSW forum. Completely nice and gentle. He had such a funny avatar of a asian Men. I never know is it he, or the picture of a actor. Maybe we can show the picture here ? That might help against sadness...

Many Thanks Xavion for the message. I had tears in my eyes by reading... Rest in Peace DFC.

41RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:02 am

Ghost808

Ghost808
Very sad news. Delta and I used to agree and argue in equal measure on another forum a few years back.

I only discovered this today as I was browsing kitbash parts on ebay. Seems his figures are being sold off. Sad to see.

RIP Chung

42RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:04 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ghost808 wrote:

I only discovered this today as I was browsing kitbash parts on ebay. Seems his figures are being sold off. Sad to see.

RIP Chung

Oh, that is actually quite heartbreaking .... Sad

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

43RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:28 am

brassco

brassco
Ghost808 wrote:Very sad news. Delta and I used to agree and argue in equal measure on another forum a few years back.

RIP Chung

do you have the link to his figures on ebay? I would like to see if there's something i could buy, to support his family...

44RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:45 am

Ghost808

Ghost808
brassco wrote:
Ghost808 wrote:Very sad news. Delta and I used to agree and argue in equal measure on another forum a few years back.

RIP Chung

do you have the link to his figures on ebay? I would like to see if there's something i could buy, to support his family...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374200466518?hash=item572015fc56%3Ag%3AKaAAAOSwLhFi6uYZ&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374200470103?hash=item5720160a57%3Ag%3Ah7sAAOSwt2li6ucI&LH_Auction=1

Seller has 60k+ sales, so not sure it's a family member selling them?

45RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:32 am

DJ

DJ
Ghost808 wrote:
brassco wrote:

RIP Chung

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374200466518?hash=item572015fc56%3Ag%3AKaAAAOSwLhFi6uYZ&LH_Auction=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374200470103?hash=item5720160a57%3Ag%3Ah7sAAOSwt2li6ucI&LH_Auction=1

Seller has 60k+ sales, so not sure it's a family member selling them?

This is sad news as well. His collection sold off. I never had the chance to meet him. He always wanted me to go to Joelanta some time. From what he said his collection was very large with boxed multiples of everything.

46RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:43 am

davidd

davidd
I did not know DeltaForceChung, but he sounds like an interesting character, to say the least!
I'm curious, was DFC the collector sometimes obliquely referred to on this forum as He Who Shall Not Be Named who was known for purchasing new releases in multiples, and sometimes in case lots?

It looks like the eBay seller linked to above is a dealer who either acquired the bulk of the collection or who is selling the collection for a commission.

Here is a link to the seller's Items for Sale page. Most of the action figure related items include a paragraph about Chung Kim in the item description. The seller notes that they expect to be listing items from the collection from now until October.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/littlemarz/m.html

47RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:59 am

DJ

DJ
davidd wrote:I did not know DeltaForceChung, but he sounds like an interesting character, to say the least!
I'm curious, was DFC the collector sometimes obliquely referred to on this forum as He Who Shall Not Be Named who was known for purchasing new releases in multiples, and sometimes in case lots?

It looks like the eBay seller linked to above is a dealer who either acquired the bulk of the collection or who is selling the collection for a commission.

Here is a link to the seller's Items for Sale page. Most of the action figure related items include a paragraph about Chung Kim in the item description. The seller notes that they expect to be listing items from the collection from now until October.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/littlemarz/m.html

I think it may have been him. I know in the past he mentioned buying cases of figures. It has been a long time, but I think he posted pictures of some of them once. This was so long ago that Hot Toys was still making bootleg figures back then.

48RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:57 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
To answer your question, David, yes “He Who Shall Not Be Named” was Chung; that was his choice after he left the forum a few years back. I tried for a couple years to get him to come back, but he chose to just pass information along through me, under that title. I would bet that the person who is selling his collection is one of his local retailers who he had a good relationship with over the years. I get it needs to be done, but this is very sad to see (though not unexpected). Hopefully the money raised will go to his family.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 C8485110

49RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:29 pm

DJ

DJ
Stryker2011 wrote:To answer your question, David, yes “He Who Shall Not Be Named” was Chung; that was his choice after he left the forum a few years back. I tried for a couple years to get him to come back, but he chose to just pass information along through me, under that title. I would bet that the person who is selling his collection is one of his local retailers who he had a good relationship with over the years. I get it needs to be done, but this is very sad to see (though not unexpected). Hopefully the money raised will go to his family.

It is sobering. Looking around the room and realizing everything around me will be thrown in the trash or sold to the highest bidder at some point after I'm gone.

50RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:33 pm

davidd

davidd
Stryker2011 wrote:To answer your question, David, yes “He Who Shall Not Be Named” was Chung....

Thanx for the confirmation. I suspected that was the case. I shall miss those periodic "ginormous treasure trove" posts on behalf of He Who Shall Not Be Named.

51RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:25 am

brassco

brassco
thanks to DJ and Davidd for the links.

It saddened me to see that so many of his beloved collection getting auction off or sold off. Could this be my fate as well? What will happen to my figures once i passed? (really hard to say in these times nowadays). Am i going to make a will to handle my collection?

A browse of these items on ebay, gave me an insight to the hobby DFC has during his time here, and one can definitely call him a Legend in the world of 1/6th...

52RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:48 am

Diana

Diana
No need to look at it so pessimistically. It's good that the items are finding new homes where they will hopefully be cherished, possibly even by his friends. The family surely got something for the collection, when handing it over. Probably not as much as the seller will make of it, but in exchange they didn't have to deal with the hassle of selling every single figure themselves. In turn the seller is doing what they likely enjoy and are passionate about. The paragraph about him certainly suggests they know what they've got.

So a little part of him will be travelling the world now, finding a place in 1/6-lovers' homes.
I wish that shipping wasn't around $70, or I'd join the bidding for Skarah. And if I were to win that and she'd end up on my shelf, I'd be thinking of him and the passion with which he wrote whenever I look at her.

There is beauty everywhere, peeps. Just gotta look for it a little harder sometimes.

I love you

53RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:52 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's a very lovely way of looking at it, Diana. I love you

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

54RIP Chung Kim - Page 2 Empty Re: RIP Chung Kim Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:03 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Diana wrote:No need to look at it so pessimistically. It's good that the items are finding new homes where they will hopefully be cherished, possibly even by his friends. The family surely got something for the collection, when handing it over. Probably not as much as the seller will make of it, but in exchange they didn't have to deal with the hassle of selling every single figure themselves. In turn the seller is doing what they likely enjoy and are passionate about. The paragraph about him certainly suggests they know what they've got.

So a little part of him will be travelling the world now, finding a place in 1/6-lovers' homes.
I wish that shipping wasn't around $70, or I'd join the bidding for Skarah. And if I were to win that and she'd end up on my shelf, I'd be thinking of him and the passion with which he wrote whenever I look at her.

There is beauty everywhere, peeps. Just gotta look for it a little harder sometimes.

I love you

I completely agree.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum