OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Colossus the Painter - Custom X-Men Diorama/Photoshoot

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

BAD WOLF-787

Very impressive, great job, luv all the little details!

blackpool

very cool set up, that's always fun and refreshing to see "heroes" doing something more daily than saving the world lol

awesome work!

ReverendSpooky

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very impressive, great job, luv all the little details!

Thanks so much BadWolf! I get obsessed with making all the accessories, and once I get momentum there's just no going back.

blackpool wrote:very cool set up, that's always fun and refreshing to see "heroes" doing something more daily than saving the world lol

awesome work!

Thanks Blackpool! Yeah, that's always been my favorite part of super hero comics and movies. The human sides of the characters, and those traits, outside of the action, that kinda define them. One of the best scenes in Age of Ultron was the one with with the Avengers sitting around, drinking and trying to lift Thor's hammer. Marvel has always excelled at telling those stories.

http://reverendspooky.com

Kukolka

Much love of the concept and photoset! You date an artist and yes the models are part of the package, but you also get a lot of passion. ^^

https://kukolkacreates.wordpress.com/blog/

highwayman57

highwayman57
RS, there is just one word to describe this dio: superb!! I love it!! Very imaginative, and magnificently detailed; you have set a new standard for dioramas!!

David

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Kukolka wrote:Much love of the concept and photoset! You date an artist and yes the models are part of the package, but you also get a lot of passion. ^^

You get it!!! And thanks so much Kukolka! Really glad you dig it.

highwayman57 wrote:RS, there is just one word to describe this dio: superb!! I love it!! Very imaginative, and magnificently detailed; you have set a new standard for dioramas!!

David

Thanks so much David! I'm always trying to up my game, so glad to hear I'm getting there.

Ephiane

Ephiane
That´s so Great ! Your collection of superheros is absolute fantastic

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Ephiane wrote:That´s so Great ! Your collection of superheros is absolute fantastic

Thank you Ephiane! So many I still want to do. My custom X-men so far are Wolverine, Psylocke, Gambit, Colossus & X-23. Picked up the Xavier and Yukio that came out, and my non-Xmen Punisher and Rocket Raccoon, who both need some fun customizing at some point in the future (they can join the X-Men if they want, I'm fine with it). I'm a big fan of the 90s team, so wanting to do a Rogue, Shadowcat (although I can't think of an recognizable trait or a cool way to show her powers), Storm, Jubilee, Magik, Jean Grey, Cyclops... There's just too many great X-men characters!

peter the painter

What a great idea, beautifully executed.

Cheers,

Peter.

ZombieKev

Wonderful!

MerylAkiba

I like the way the Colossus bicep arm joint tucks into the bicep. Great scene. You should make Dazzler.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
peter the painter wrote: What a great idea, beautifully executed.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter! Really appreciated.

ZombieKev wrote:Wonderful!

Thank you!

MerylAkiba wrote:I like the way the Colossus bicep arm joint tucks into the bicep. Great scene. You should make Dazzler.

Thanks MerylAkiba! And yeah, the Colossus figure is really well designed. I knew I'd be displaying him with mostly seamless bodies, so I was really glad how unobtrusive the joints are.

And Dazzler, huh?! She's a character that doesn't get named as a fan favorite that often. But now you've got me thinking of how'd I approach a figure of her. Lean hard into the 70's disco influence? Or more the iconic 80's/90's look? I really am kinda considering the challenge.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
The details! The details! The details!
Those paint tubes! I can feel them in my mind!
What a cool concept!
Colossus seems very well done, even though you mentioned he is not fully painted. Definitely get the metal effect from him.
As always, a super sophisticated shoot!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Pontiacivan wrote:The details! The details! The details!
Those paint tubes! I can feel them in my mind!
What a cool concept!
Colossus seems very well done, even though you mentioned he is not fully painted. Definitely get the metal effect from him.
As always, a super sophisticated shoot!

Thanks so much man! Yeah, this project was such a blast, and the paintings, paint tubes, brushes, and easel were all so much fun to figure out how to do. So glad you dig it!

teamweapon

OUT STANDING!!!! as ever.
and your scenes get better and better as you are going along.
keep it up dude Smile

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
teamweapon wrote:OUT STANDING!!!! as ever.
and your scenes get better and better as you are going along.
keep it up dude Smile

Ah, thanks so much Teamweapon! I'm always trying to up my game. Really glad this came together as well as it did. I've got plenty more in the works I'm excited to show!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for linking to this -- I think I had seen it way back when I was lurking, but was too shy to comment before. I loved it then and I love it now!!! Incredibly detailed and beautifully posed, as always. Awesome 'models', gorgeous work, and the 'paintings' themselves are masterpieces!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Peaches

Peaches
Wow, very nice! Art within art within art! Figures, drawings, diorama and photography, so one more art needed, LOL

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for linking to this -- I think I had seen it way back when I was lurking, but was too shy to comment before. I loved it then and I love it now!!! Incredibly detailed and beautifully posed, as always. Awesome 'models', gorgeous work, and the 'paintings' themselves are masterpieces!

Thank you so much!!! So glad you joined the party here! Both the sketches and paintings were such a fun experiment, where I took photos, and redid them in photoshop. The paintings were printed on regular paper and transferred with modge-podge to canvas. Particularly proud of the effect on the 1/2 finished one. So glad you dig it!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for linking to this -- I think I had seen it way back when I was lurking, but was too shy to comment before. I loved it then and I love it now!!! Incredibly detailed and beautifully posed, as always. Awesome 'models', gorgeous work, and the 'paintings' themselves are masterpieces!

Thank you so much!!!  So glad you joined the party here! Both the sketches and paintings were such a fun experiment, where I took photos, and redid them in photoshop. The paintings were printed on regular paper and transferred with modge-podge to canvas.  Particularly proud of the effect on the 1/2 finished one.  So glad you dig it!

I was going to say...that partially finished painting is an especially awesome touch! Really like the other paintings that he's done other characters' portraits too! Very Happy And of course, I love the whole thing. Whenever I see your work it always takes my breath away a little, because not only is it beautiful, but I can also immediately tell just how much time and effort and sheer creativity must have gone into it. And especially even more now that I know better firsthand how much time even just one figure can take... seeing full dioramas is all the more impressive.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Thank you so much!!!  So glad you joined the party here! Both the sketches and paintings were such a fun experiment, where I took photos, and redid them in photoshop. The paintings were printed on regular paper and transferred with modge-podge to canvas.  Particularly proud of the effect on the 1/2 finished one.  So glad you dig it!

I was going to say...that partially finished painting is an especially awesome touch! Really like the other paintings that he's done other characters' portraits too! Very Happy And of course, I love the whole thing. Whenever I see your work it always takes my breath away a little, because not only is it beautiful, but I can also immediately tell just how much time and effort and sheer creativity must have gone into it. And especially even more now that I know better firsthand how much time even just one figure can take... seeing full dioramas is all the more impressive.

Thank you, and that means a lot to hear. I always worry that I just work so slowly. I struggle to get project time in at night during the week, and I know I put a lot of pressure on myself to get a lot done on weekends. But there are people that seem to just knock out huge and complex builds in no time, and just can't imagine how they do it. So it's really reassuring hearing you say how time consuming a single figure can be, and oh so nice to hear that the time that went into it paid off. It's also another great thing about this community, getting to share work with people who have a good sense of what goes in to a build.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Thank you, and that means a lot to hear.  I always worry that I just work so slowly.  I struggle to get project time in at night during the week, and I know I put a lot of pressure on myself to get a lot done on weekends. But there are people that seem to just knock out huge and complex builds in no time, and just can't imagine how they do it.  So it's really reassuring hearing you say how time consuming a single figure can be, and oh so nice to hear that the time that went into it paid off.  It's also another great thing about this community, getting to share work with people who have a good sense of what goes in to a build.  

Aww, you are welcome! And I completely feel your pain. Time -- and energy -- to work on projects is very limited for me as well. In my case, weekends are super busy, so I tend to only be able to work on stuff for a couple of hours in the afternoon, about 3-4 days each week at most. But it's a similar frustration... sometimes the progress is painfully slow. I don't have a ton of work space either, which makes it harder to work on multiple things at once. Then you add lack of finances and health issues, and sometimes progress simply gets held up because I have to wait 'til next month' to proceed, or I'm just too exhausted to do anything at all and don't want to risk working on something when I'm not at my best. Even a 'simple' kitbash tends to take me forever... though perhaps that is also the perfectionist in me, lol. ;p

I also completely agree on how refreshing it is to be around others who understand what goes into these things. In the past, I've had family members look at a figure and say 'so did you make that entire thing?' and when I try to explain that, er, no I didn't actually sculpt the head/build the entire body/or 'make' it from scratch, it's like they then get really dismissive and say 'oh, so you just painted it then'. And I'm just like...welp, nevermind. -_-

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Thank you, and that means a lot to hear.  I always worry that I just work so slowly.  I struggle to get project time in at night during the week, and I know I put a lot of pressure on myself to get a lot done on weekends. But there are people that seem to just knock out huge and complex builds in no time, and just can't imagine how they do it.  So it's really reassuring hearing you say how time consuming a single figure can be, and oh so nice to hear that the time that went into it paid off.  It's also another great thing about this community, getting to share work with people who have a good sense of what goes in to a build.  

Aww, you are welcome! And I completely feel your pain. Time -- and energy -- to work on projects is very limited for me as well. In my case, weekends are super busy, so I tend to only be able to work on stuff for a couple of hours in the afternoon, about 3-4 days each week at most. But it's a similar frustration... sometimes the progress is painfully slow. I don't have a ton of work space either, which makes it harder to work on multiple things at once. Then you add lack of finances and health issues, and sometimes progress simply gets held up because I have to wait 'til next month' to proceed, or I'm just too exhausted to do anything at all and don't want to risk working on something when I'm not at my best. Even a 'simple' kitbash tends to take me forever... though perhaps that is also the perfectionist in me, lol. ;p

I also completely agree on how refreshing it is to be around others who understand what goes into these things. In the past, I've had family members look at a figure and say 'so did you make that entire thing?' and when I try to explain that, er, no I didn't actually sculpt the head/build the entire body/or 'make' it from scratch, it's like they then get really dismissive and say 'oh, so you just painted it then'. And I'm just like...welp, nevermind. -_-

I've tried to explain projects to people and gotten "So you just dress up dolls?" and I have to be like "well, there's a LITTLE more to it than that..."

I totally get you. It is a really hard hobby sometimes to balance with real life obligations. And it definitely sounds like you've got a few thing making yours an uphill battle. All the more respect for sticking with it and making it work. And I totally hear you on just being exhausted, and not having the energy to give a project the attention it deserves. Thankfully sometimes I just WANT to work on something so bad it gets me through. When I can't wait to get home from work and get back at it, even if just for a bit. That's always the best part.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:I've tried to explain projects to people and gotten "So you just dress up dolls?"  and I have to be like "well, there's a LITTLE more to it than that..."

LOL, oh noes. But yeah, definitely more to it...

ReverendSpooky wrote:I totally get you.  It is a really hard hobby sometimes to balance with real life obligations.  And it definitely sounds like you've got a few thing making yours an uphill battle.  All the more respect for sticking with it and making it work.  And I totally hear you on just being exhausted, and not having the energy to give a project the attention it deserves.  Thankfully sometimes I just WANT to work on something so bad it gets me through.  When I can't wait to get home from work and get back at it, even if just for a bit.  That's always the best part.

That IS indeed a great feeling, when you get on a roll like that and in the 'zone'.... that momentum often overrides all the other above issues, and you just keep working til somehow it's miraculously done. Other than on 1/6 projects, the only other time I've experienced that kind of weirdly euphoric creative state was this one summer when I wrote a novel length fanfic almost without stopping. Practically slept and dreamed it, even. I guess that is what people mean when they say let the muse take over... :')

ETA: Speaking of muses, one of my favourite things about this whole series of photos is how you have Psylocke wrapping herself up in that shawl after the session is finished. It gives a beautiful sense of vulnerability to the character and an intimacy to the scene. I personally find the image of her standing there in nothing but her stockings, heels, and that shawl to be at once so much sexier and also more realistic than if she'd just been stark naked. After all, a studio in an old building with high ceilings like that would probably be kinda cold. ;D VERY well done.

scalawag

scalawag
Beautifully done, very very nice.

Paul

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:I totally get you.  It is a really hard hobby sometimes to balance with real life obligations.  And it definitely sounds like you've got a few thing making yours an uphill battle.  All the more respect for sticking with it and making it work.  And I totally hear you on just being exhausted, and not having the energy to give a project the attention it deserves.  Thankfully sometimes I just WANT to work on something so bad it gets me through.  When I can't wait to get home from work and get back at it, even if just for a bit.  That's always the best part.

That IS indeed a great feeling, when you get on a roll like that and in the 'zone'.... that momentum often overrides all the other above issues, and you just keep working til somehow it's miraculously done. Other than on 1/6 projects, the only other time I've experienced that kind of weirdly euphoric creative state was this one summer when I wrote a novel length fanfic almost without stopping. Practically slept and dreamed it, even. I guess that is what people mean when they say let the muse take over... :')

ETA: Speaking of muses, one of my favourite things about this whole series of photos is how you have Psylocke wrapping herself up in that shawl after the session is finished. It gives a beautiful sense of vulnerability to the character and an intimacy to the scene. I personally find the image of her standing there in nothing but her stockings, heels, and that shawl to be at once so much sexier and also more realistic than if she'd just been stark naked. After all, a studio in an old building with high ceilings like that would probably be kinda cold. ;D VERY well done.

Yeah, chasing that creative feeling is what keeps me going.  Sometimes I wake up on a Saturday morning and how I'm going to tackle a project is the first thought that goes through my head.  It's amazing you found that place writing, and I hope this hobby gets you there as well.

And I love that you got that from these pics!!!! I'm always trying to capture a moment and it actually have some feeling to it.  I hope that doesn't come across as pretentious as hell when talking about toy photography, but I want it to genuinely feel like a scene from a story.  I wasn't going for anything too explicit but I was honestly a little nervous about pushing the bounds of decency around here. But I always loved that Colossus was a painter, and this seemed like something he would paint, something of a classic nude, but that included mutant abilities, because that's also something he'd want to capture.  And Psylocke always seemed like the type of character that would be comfortable with her body, enough to pose for an artist and friend.  And her wrapping herself in a shawl or robe after seemed like the most natural thing to do, but there is something charged to it too.  The whole scenario of painting someone always feels like it has it's own subtle intimacy and eroticism, so to hear that I did manage to convey that means the world to hear.  I guess this is my version of fan fiction  Very Happy

scalawag wrote:Beautifully done, very very nice.

Paul

Thank you Scalawag!  So appreciated!

Peaches

Peaches
I like the way @skywalkersaga expressed how the series of pictures gives a sense of vulnerability, to cold, to relaxing and being finished and warming up with the blanket, etc.. I can't say it so well, but ditto there, LOL

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww, cheers, Peaches, glad you agree. Smile

And it doesn't sound pretentious at all, Rev. Anything that one approaches with such creativity and artistry can and should be considered 'art' -- whether it be photography, film, writing, drawing, painting, sculpture, digital art, music, and yes, even 1/6 figures. ;p Even moreso since you also have told a little story here -- imo, storytelling is both an art and a craft.

As Peaches noted, this is 'art within art'....within art. Your figures can be considered works of art themselves, and then you have one of them capturing the beauty of the other, and creating a piece of art himself as well. Then you have, in turn, gone back and re-captured it all via your photography. It's all so deliciously 'meta'. Very Happy

And ha, yes, it totally counts as fanfiction! The fact that you have taken existing characters, made them your 'own', and then told a story with them is precisely the definition of that particular kind of fanwork. Yours just happens to have the added bonus of being told visually! : ) What characterizes fanfiction in my eyes is that it tends to pay loving homage to the source material while simultaneously transforming it into something else. Others have noted that your work often has a cinematic quality, and I would agree... I greatly enjoy seeing how you synthesize your obvious love of the original material -- whether it be film, tv, comics, animation, etc -- into something that expresses your own aesthetic preferences as well as your interpretations of each fictional 'verse and its respective characters.

Peaches

Peaches
@skywalkersaga said "It's all so deliciously 'meta'. Very Happy "

LOL, Yah! You make me sound cool, LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum