OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Making a brick wall (styrofoam)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:23 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Since I'ven been experimenting with other styles of brick walls lately, here is a quick tutorial to make the typical red stone version. So far, I've only done it with the "lego" method - cutting stones and glueing them together to make a very rough wall. This time I used the most common way of doing a brick wall: Just carving or burning it into the styrofoam.

Step 1:
Get a sheet of Styrofoam (I used 3cm thickness) with a smooth surface.
Get a soldering iron
GEt a metal ruler

Carve in the horizontal lines. Depending on the size of your brick stones, you can use anything between 1-5cm.
Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Whatsa87

Step 2:
Vertical lines. Use t he soldering iron and the ruler to make the vertical lines, you can choose the strucutre of your stones (all same size or variable, depending on look) I made them different size but not too much.
Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Whatsa88

Step 3:
Use a pencil or a modelling clay tool to remove the sharp looking edges. They look unnatural so you have to make the stone edges more "round"

Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Whatsa79

Step 4&5&6:
The next steps are interchangeable depending on your desired final look. PAINTING, PLASTERING, STRUCTURING.
Depending on the final look you might want to either structure your stones now with a ball of tin foil and then use plaster or tile grout for the gaps and then paint it or paint it first then use plaster and structure the stones at the last step.
The difference is, if you do the structuring/weathering first, it will get filled up with plaster - which might be good or not. I did it by accident, but it can work too,

For the plaster, I put it on the sheet with a trowel like a real mason. Then pull it of with the trowel again as good as possible minutes later.

Painted & structured first:
Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Painte11

Using Plaster later, you can see the white dots. Which still can look natural.

Making a brick wall (styrofoam) 06247d10

Or you can buy a paper backdrop and have a similar wall. But crafting it is also hella fun Wink  
This method is much quicker than cutting the stones one by one. I did it in like two days (with having to wait for the paint to try and tile grout to dry)

You could also put in some windows or a door, which I did not do for this one.
If you have more tips and how you are doing it, feel free to put them into this thread. Thank you. Smile

2Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:32 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very Clever! I was thinking about using a soldering iron the other day! Thanks for the how to!

3Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:50 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty slick. But “hella fun”?! You and I have a different idea of fun, my friend. That reminds me of a hard labor experience I had in Boot Camp involving these very kind of bricks. Nope. Not for me. Mad

But, I appreciate the tutorial anyway.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Making a brick wall (styrofoam) C8485110

4Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:36 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Very nice, Simon! Thanks for the guide to make stryrodur diorama walls.
I just purchased a Proxxon heat cutter to be able to make some 1/6 stairs... Wink

5Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:52 pm

davidd

davidd
Randam Hajile wrote:
I just purchased a Proxxon heat cutter to be able to make some 1/6 stairs...  

I'm telling myself I don't need a cool new tool to do what I've been doing with a hack saw, no, I don't need one, I don't want one, I have no reason for one, I didn't know such things existed until just now, really I do NOT NEED one.... Sad

I can feel myself losing this battle within my own psyche already. pale

6Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:58 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
davidd wrote:
Randam Hajile wrote:
I just purchased a Proxxon heat cutter to be able to make some 1/6 stairs...  

I'm telling myself I don't need a cool new tool to do what I've been doing with a hack saw, no, I don't need one, I don't want one, I have no reason for one, I didn't know such things existed until just now, really I do NOT NEED one.... Sad

I can feel myself losing this battle within my own psyche already.  pale

lol! lol! Be strong, Dave!

7Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:06 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Razz lol this forum is one big temptation, isnt it?

Stryker2011 wrote:Pretty slick. But “hella fun”?! You and I have a different idea of fun, my friend. That reminds me of a hard labor experience I had in Boot Camp involving these very kind of bricks. Nope. Not for me. Mad

But, I appreciate the tutorial anyway.

Yeah maybe we all have different kind of fun. I like the calming creativity of building things.
Thank you for the comment, mark.

Randam Hajile wrote:Very nice, Simon! Thanks for the guide to make stryrodur diorama walls.
I just purchased a Proxxon heat cutter to be able to make some 1/6 stairs... Wink  

Haha yeah i love the proxxon. He does have its limitations for 1/6 and could be build a bit better imo but it does what you need for cutting shapes. Plan for some long evenings watching tv besides vutting your foam Wink

8Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:55 pm

Diana

Diana
Nice! Thank you for sharing your process! I've added it to the Table of Contents. Smile

9Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:12 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for sharing your experience again, Simon. And the results are, once again, very impressive and realistic. Well done!

10Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:31 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very nice of you to share your methods. And I'm with Stryker these days.... I have little energy or resources for this kind of thing. :'( Wish I could hire you to make me some dioramas, lol!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

11Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:56 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
That is spectacular, looks so realistic! I especially admire the paint effects and plaster, what a great idea. Great patience with the brick carving too.

How do you prevent the wall from warping or bending? I have struggled with this on less than 0.5mm thick foamboard, but maybe I’m too heavy-handed with wet paint or I could blame the limited foamboard options I can access…….

12Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Empty Re: Making a brick wall (styrofoam) Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:43 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Good point about warping. It may depend on what foamboard/foramcore is available, to some degree.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum