OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help to chose a body please

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:03 am

AClegg

Here's Astarion painted. I take my hat off to 1/6 face painters. THAT was so fiddly Shocked

He's a little lumpy in places! I'll know next time to pay more attention to smoothing out the skin. But I didn't do too bad a matching the skin tone to the body. Just hope the new body is the same shade!

Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Img_2717
Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Img_2718
Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Img_2719

27Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:04 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I think it is a very good try indeed. Different materials take and show paint a little differently, but the match is very good indeed. To my eyes, anyway.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

28Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:07 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
AClegg wrote:Any ideas on where I can get hold of Renaissance style clothing?

That might be difficult per se, although you might be able to pick pieces from different broken down sets that might do the job. There are some vampire-related figures that have civilian clothing that can pass for 18th-early 19th century.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

29Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:51 pm

skywalkersaga

He looks good! You did better than I could have done on the sculpting. I always take my hat off to those who are willing to sculpt their own heads from scratch!

And yes, 1/6 is a challenge to paint, especially the eyes. But I think yours turned out well. Help to chose a body please - Page 2 1f44d

I'm trying to think of where to go for Renaissance clothing, and drawing a blank on specific sets. Maybe pirates or vampires...

I did get one of those 'generic men's poufy blouses' from AJ Clothiers before. (She used to do custom orders but not sure if she does anymore ?)

https://www.ajclothiers.com/

30Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:11 am

AClegg

skywalkersaga wrote:He looks good! You did better than I could have done on the sculpting. I always take my hat off to those who are willing to sculpt their own heads from scratch!

And yes, 1/6 is a challenge to paint, especially the eyes. But I think yours turned out well.  Help to chose a body please - Page 2 1f44d

I'm trying to think of where to go for Renaissance clothing, and drawing a blank on specific sets. Maybe pirates or vampires...

I did get one of those 'generic men's poufy blouses' from AJ Clothiers before. (She used to do custom orders but not sure if she does anymore ?)

https://www.ajclothiers.com/

Many thanks. I've taken to looking at Disney figures on ebay for his clothing Laughing

31Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:14 am

AClegg

GubernatorFan wrote:I think it is a very good try indeed. Different materials take and show paint a little differently, but the match is very good indeed. To my eyes, anyway.

Many thanks. I may give air drying clay a go next, see how that takes the paint.

32Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:23 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
AClegg wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:I think it is a very good try indeed. Different materials take and show paint a little differently, but the match is very good indeed. To my eyes, anyway.

Many thanks. I may give air drying clay a go next, see how that takes the paint.
I have used air drying clay. It is pretty good, but naturally a bit of a mess. See my minotaur HERE and among the ton of photos HERE.
There is also now air drying Sculpey, for which I have high hopes but haven't used yet. Green Stuff (Kneadatite) is also good but it is rather hard to work with.

33Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:20 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the reminder about air-drying sculpey, GF. I need to resculpt the back of an Anakin head before re-hairing, and I've been putting it off because I can't stand green stuff. I tried using it once and it ruined every single implement that it came into contact with. I am continually shocked that it's such a popular sculpting material in this hobby when I found it impossible to use.... Shocked

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

34Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:18 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the reminder about air-drying sculpey, GF. I need to resculpt the back of an Anakin head before re-hairing, and I've been putting it off because I can't stand green stuff. I tried using it once and it ruined every single implement that it came into contact with. I am continually shocked that it's such a popular sculpting material in this hobby when I found it impossible to use.... Shocked
You are welcome. I have only heard good things about Sculpey, and was excited to discover there was an air-drying version. But I haven't used it yet. I have used Green Stuff a lot, but I do find it somewhat difficult to work with and ultimately not too precise (if you fill up holes, you'll never end up with a perfectly flush surface -- except perhaps if you sanded it or something).

35Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:11 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, the only alternative I've had in mind is milliput, but that has its own problems. It's also quite messy and when sanded, creates a resin dust that you have to be careful with. So not ideal either.

My 'sculpting' needs are quite basic. I only need something that I can smooth with my hands that I will use to fill in gaps and create backs of heads, etc, and which can then subsequently be painted with acrylics. Everything i have read says that the air drying sculpey can be painted with acrylics so that sounds promising. I guess the only question remaining is what type of glue would work on it (for affixing the hair).

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

36Help to chose a body please - Page 2 Empty Re: Help to chose a body please Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:08 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Yes, the only alternative I've had in mind is milliput, but that has its own problems. It's also quite messy and when sanded, creates a resin dust that you have to be careful with. So not ideal either.

My 'sculpting' needs are quite basic. I only need something that I can smooth with my hands that I will use to fill in gaps and create backs of heads, etc, and which can then subsequently be painted with acrylics. Everything i have read says that the air drying sculpey can be painted with acrylics so that sounds promising. I guess the only question remaining is what type of glue would work on it (for affixing the hair).
If your glue works on resin and plastic, it would surely work on that. I use superglue, which is probably not ideal for this type of thing for most people.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum