OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help on how to sculpt hair

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Help on how to sculpt hair Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:16 pm

Cisco Von Drackenn

Cisco Von Drackenn
Hi guys, I'm looking for a tutorial or tips on how to sculpt hair.
I got the Black Widow head from Endgame, but it doesn't convince me to make a figure of the Black Widow, so I would like to transform it into Motoko Kusanagi.
With very bad photoshop skills I placed the hair and I like it, but now I have to know how to sculpt it, any ideas? Greetings

Help on how to sculpt hair 53321115283_b222e458c9_b

Help on how to sculpt hair 53320876591_d5b115e1ec_z

2Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:36 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Would you consider re-hairing her using real hair instead of sculpting? If so, I could potentially advise on that, otherwise I am not sure. Seems like it could be a little risky to sculpt the bangs/fringe directly onto the forehead. But maybe others have better advice. I know forum user Randam sometimes uses sculpted hair pieces that he's removed from other heads and swaps them onto new heads. But for this one, you'd need to somehow remove the current hair first (whittle it off with an exacto knife maybe), just be careful not to cut the face obviously.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

3Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:54 am

Esganado

skywalkersaga wrote:Would you consider re-hairing her using real hair instead of sculpting? If so, I could potentially advise on that, otherwise I am not sure. Seems like it could be a little risky to sculpt the bangs/fringe directly onto the forehead. But maybe others have better advice. I know forum user Randam sometimes uses sculpted hair pieces that he's removed from other heads and swaps them onto new heads. But for this one, you'd need to somehow remove the current hair first (whittle it off with an exacto knife maybe), just be careful not to cut the face obviously.

I would love to know about using real hair in head sculpts!
What kind of hair do you use? Mohair? Syhthetic mohair?

4Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:21 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Esganado wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Would you consider re-hairing her using real hair instead of sculpting? If so, I could potentially advise on that, otherwise I am not sure. Seems like it could be a little risky to sculpt the bangs/fringe directly onto the forehead. But maybe others have better advice. I know forum user Randam sometimes uses sculpted hair pieces that he's removed from other heads and swaps them onto new heads. But for this one, you'd need to somehow remove the current hair first (whittle it off with an exacto knife maybe), just be careful not to cut the face obviously.

I would love to know about using real hair  in head sculpts!
Lamb hair seems to work best. Check out this thread, with some links from Sky.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t7425-adding-hair-to-headsculpt

5Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:50 am

Esganado

GubernatorFan wrote:
Esganado wrote:

I would love to know about using real hair  in head sculpts!
Lamb hair seems to work best. Check out this thread, with some links from Sky.

Thank you! Had just found it!
Great result!
Jusat a question GubernatorFan do you use something to help the original sculpted hair to come off the head?
I'm assuming it is glue,

6Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:54 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Esganado wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Lamb hair seems to work best. Check out this thread, with some links from Sky.

Thank you! Had just found it!
Great result!
Jusat a question GubernatorFan do you use something to help the original sculpted hair to come off the head?
I'm assuming it is glue,
You're welcome. Well, that depends. This type of molded hair is usually attached in sections by Hot Toys, and can be pried off, with some effort, sometimes helped by heating (with a hair dryer, or hot water if need be). On occasion I've used tools, to insert and get some leverage to pry it off (not usually necessary). But hair that is either glued down very effectively or is just part of the overall mold/sculpt, needs to be whittled away with an X-acto knife or a rotary tool.

7Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:23 am

Diana

Diana
I understand if you want to use this head, since HOT TOYS faces are beautifully painted, but I would still like to offer the idea of going for a knock off.

And OSK have a beautiful head with rooted hair that you might be able to modify: https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86_106&product_id=654

Just a thought. Wink

8Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:26 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Good point, Diana. I think that is very sensible advice. Help on how to sculpt hair 1f44d

Adding new or different hair to a sculpt that already has rooted hair is much easier (imo) than whittling away the sculpted hair. I can also advise on how to go about that if interested. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

9Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:59 am

Cisco Von Drackenn

Cisco Von Drackenn

Hi Sky, yes I have considered it, but it scares me even more because I don't have practice. I'm going to try it with some bootleg heads before possibly destroying the hot toys one Razz

10Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:03 am

Cisco Von Drackenn

Cisco Von Drackenn
Diana wrote:I understand if you want to use this head, since HOT TOYS faces are beautifully painted, but I would still like to offer the idea of going for a knock off.

And OSK have a beautiful head with rooted hair that you might be able to modify: https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86_106&product_id=654

Just a thought. Wink

Hello Diana, yes before destroying an expensive face, I could try it with this one, as you mentioned, the painting and sculpture of Hottoys looks beautiful and that's why my decision to modify it, but since I don't have practice, I think it's the best way to try it with something more economical Very Happy

11Help on how to sculpt hair Empty Re: Help on how to sculpt hair Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:57 am

Esganado

skywalkersaga wrote:Good point, Diana. I think that is very sensible advice.  Help on how to sculpt hair 1f44d

Adding new or different hair to a sculpt that already has rooted hair is much easier (imo) than whittling away the sculpted hair. I can also advise on how to go about that if interested. Smile

Yes please!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum