OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Empty How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:03 pm

ILikeToast

ILikeToast
Hi Everyone,

I read GubernatorFan's guide on changing hair, and I checked my own figures and saw that they have hair holes from where their hair comes out.

Does the following guide work for TBLeague dolls? https://dollyhair.com/pages/reroot-tutorial#:~:text=The%20Rerooting%20Tool%20and%20Needles&text=The%20regular%20needle%20can%20be,prong%20and%20a%20short%20prong.

I want to reroot my dolls' hair, but I want to be certain that the guide I found works for them. Please also let me know if there are better guides I should refer to.

Thanks in advance,

ILikeToast

2How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Empty Re: How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:24 am

Zes

Zes
Not really. I assume you're referring to TBLeague head sculpts. If not, what specific head sculpt are you referring to?

The wig part of a TBLeague head sculpt is made of a pretty rigid plastic, and once you remove the current hair, you are left with pretty substantial holes or gaps. These gaps make traditional rerooting difficult, at least in my opinion.

What I have done instead is fill in all those gaps with two-part epoxy and then sand everything smooth. All the holes should be filled in, and the head sculpt should look like a normal bald head sculpt. I then add hair using an adhesive method similar to the guide posted by GubernatorFan.

I suppose you could also use a 1/6 scale silicone doll cap and reroot through that.

3How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Empty Re: How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:51 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Welcome to the forum, ILikeToast!

As Zes noted, tbleague heads are made of hard plastic , while doll heads tend to be made from vinyl, which makes them more malleable and easier to reroot. So rerooting tbleague heads is not usually possible. The plastic holes in them are tiny and brittle and may even break if you try it.

I would second the recommendation that you fill in the holes and create a bald head and then glue hair to it instead. This also allows you a wider range of hair fibers to use, including more natural fibers (like tibetan lamb hair) which looks more realistic at 1/6 scale.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Empty Re: How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Like Sky said -- go for a glue-on solution.

5How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Empty Re: How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:09 pm

ILikeToast

ILikeToast
Thank you for the information, guys. I see that Gubernator was completely right to send me his guide. I was saved a whole lot of trouble by trying to reroot the hair!

6How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Empty Re: How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:02 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I hope so. Good luck with the project.

7How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Empty Re: How To Reroot TBLeague Doll Hair Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:26 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, good luck! It may seem intimidating to do the hair glueing at first, but just do some trial runs on a practice head and you will get the hang of it! : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum