OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can anyone advise on LED lighting for 1/6th scale projects ?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Chip

Hi , I guess I asked it all in the title .

Can anyone advise on LED lighting for 1/6th scale projects ?

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Hi Chip, nice to see you back. Are you looking for lights to light up everything (ie, figures, etc.), or are you looking for lighting that would work as “room” lighting (ie, for dioramas)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Can anyone advise on LED lighting for 1/6th scale projects ?  Ed116210

Chip

Thanks Mark , yeah health issues continue to batter both me and my partner . I try and scrape as much time as I can to use on the hobby , it keeps me sane I recon but not always easy . At the moment I am looking to use some LED`s for the side lights on an Astronaut Helmet . I see a lot our 12V but come with 9 volt battery connectors ??? Very confusing . Also a little concerned on reading in some cases they have got over hot and melted some projects .

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Smaller LED lights should not produce tons of heat, at least not so much that it melts stuff.

BAMComix

BAMComix
I use the plug in type of led lights in the back part of the Ammo arms. they are great for illuminating he darker areas of the pub.

csyeung

csyeung
Not sure how you plan to power it, but usually from my limited experience are that usb supply about 5V. For my 1/6 projects, i used a USB DC 5V to 3.3V-24V 15W Adjustable Step Up/Down Boost Buck Power Supply Module to adjust the appropriate power to the wired leds. You can adjust the power to the appropriate amount of leds and can to some extent control the brightness. For LEDs, from what i understand if there is too much power running through, yes they can burn out. Best way to check is if they get warm or hot. They shouldn't get hot if you are using the right power. IF it does, you should lower the voltage a bit supplying it.

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
csyeung wrote:Not sure how you plan to power it, but usually from my limited experience are that usb supply about 5V. For my 1/6 projects, i used a USB DC 5V to 3.3V-24V 15W Adjustable Step Up/Down Boost Buck Power Supply Module to adjust the appropriate power to the wired leds. You can adjust the power to the appropriate amount of leds and can to some extent control the brightness. For LEDs, from what i understand if there is too much power running through, yes they can burn out. Best way to check is if they get warm or hot. They shouldn't get hot if you are using the right power. IF it does, you should lower the voltage a bit supplying it.

I'm also using these 5V step-up usb power supply modules that Craig referred to. You can get them basically everywhere on eBay or Amazon. I've plugged them directly into a computer USB port or on a USB powerbank to make the figure portable. There is a number of SMD micro LEDs that I've used to light 1/6 models in combination with these power supplies. My favorites are LED SMD 0603, which are tiny, but give you quite a bit of light. I used it for the head implant on my Cyberpunk 2077 custom figure (see below) and some other projects.

Can anyone advise on LED lighting for 1/6th scale projects ?  52445497589_9f3dfba703_kMy entry for the "Action-figure-district" competition by Randam Hajile, auf Flickr

Depending on what power supply you are using there are pre-soldered versions coming with a appropriate resistors (e.g. to run them with 12V power instead of 3V). The LEDs don't get hot, but I would still avoid to leave the light on for extended times if they are in direct contact with a plastic surface.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sorry to hear about your health problems and hope you feel better soon.
Can't offer advice on LED.

tghsmith

a great source for LED's , parts, controls...
https://evandesigns.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqre1BhAqEiwA7g9QhhUDBx9HBM9uMQx3ap9uToID_PAg94VvQZBe6ZzFpsFYAYd8wFJA5BoCDwIQAvD_BwE

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum