OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Isblomma of Winter - From the World of House of Seasons

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

blackpool

The movie is not that great compared to the novel sadly, I much more prefered the two previous movies personallY. Still it's all built around Dante's inferno, there are some fantasy sequences showing some plague doctors roaming in bloody version of Venice or Firenze, they wear those medieval plague masks that look like a bird skull with a very long beak and wide dark eyes... Quite a similar visual (except for the horns)

ReverendSpooky

blackpool wrote:The movie is not that great compared to the novel sadly, I much more prefered the two previous movies personallY. Still it's all built around Dante's inferno, there are some fantasy sequences showing some plague doctors roaming in bloody version of Venice or Firenze, they wear those medieval plague masks that look like a bird skull with a very long beak and wide dark eyes... Quite a similar visual (except for the horns)

I absolutely love those plague doctor masks, and have long been thinking about making a 1/6 post apocalyptic gas-mask version of one for a Radio Kings figure, as well as meaning to pick up a nice life-size one for myself one of these days. You know, for around the house. Those kinda hallucinatory scenes in the trailer looks absolutely amazing and eerie, and I may see the movie for those alone.

http://reverendspooky.com

Peaches

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this game, however even I can see this is amazing! Love your whole scene and the figure is amazing with and without her mask!

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this game, however even I can see this is amazing!  Love your whole scene and the figure is amazing with and without her mask!

Not a game. This is all ReverendSpooky and his incredible imagination.

PureEnergy

Stryker2011 wrote:Not a game. This is all ReverendSpooky and his incredible imagination.

Indeed...

Very Happy

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:
Peaches wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this game, however even I can see this is amazing!  Love your whole scene and the figure is amazing with and without her mask!

Not a game. This is all ReverendSpooky and his incredible imagination.

Thanks so much Peaches! So glad you like her! Stryker is right (and I appreciate the kind words!) in that House of Seasons is all me. It's a big story that's been rattling around in my head for a while, and each figure I post gives me the excuse to write a little bit of it down and get it out there in the world. I've posted 4 here so far, and have a ton more in the works. If you're interested (and don't mind my shameless self promotion) here are all of them, in the order they were posted:

Alice of Autumn (And intro to the world of House of Seasons) - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t755-alice-of-autumn-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

Isblomma of Winter - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t855-isblomma-of-winter-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

Thornapple Maudsley - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t955-thornapple-maudsley-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

Koda - https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1113-koda-from-the-world-of-house-of-seasons

brassco

brassco
You have really good camera...is that the reason why i can see so clearly there is a difference in skin tone from the HS and the body?

Great work getting that horns! Nice! I am thinking of making something like this now...

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
brassco wrote:You have really good camera...is that the reason why i can see so clearly there is a difference in skin tone from the HS and the body?

Great work getting that horns! Nice! I am thinking of making something like this now...

Oh man, calling me out on the mismatched head huh? Now that stings!

I'm shooting on a Canon Rebel, and it definitely pics up a lot, but the skin tone really changes from shot to shot, and I think depends more on how the light hits it and it's actually a pretty good match in most light.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
For what it’s worth, Rev, I hadn’t even noticed the skintone — I was far too distracted by the awesomeness of the white hair, the mask, and horns .... that’s my kind of aesthetic all the way!!! It’s got a bit of a ‘folk horror’ vibe to it. I also really like the use of the slightly more realistic but still stylized headsculpt for this one — it goes along well with the look of the Koda figure (which I don’t think I commented on directly yet, but which is one of my faves of yours so far, he’s gorgeous !!) I admire the fact that you are not afraid to blend realism with stylization, as that is a hopeful goal of mine (with some of my figures, at least).

Thanks as always for sharing your beautiful and inspirational work!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:For what it’s worth, Rev, I hadn’t even noticed the skintone — I was far too distracted by the awesomeness of the white hair, the mask, and horns .... that’s my kind of aesthetic all the way!!! It’s got a bit of a ‘folk horror’ vibe to it. I also really like the use of the slightly more realistic but still stylized  headsculpt for this one — it goes along well with the look of the Koda figure (which I don’t think I commented on directly yet, but which is one of my faves of yours so far, he’s gorgeous !!) I admire the fact that you are not afraid to blend realism with stylization, as that is a hopeful goal of mine (with some of my figures, at least).

Thanks as always for sharing your beautiful and inspirational work!

Thank you so much Skywalkersaga! You know, I had not heard the term "folk horror" before and it's a freakin perfect description. Totally the kind of aesthetic I was going for. And it's reassuring that there isn't too glaringly obvious difference in the head and body. I really do believe that the rubber body and the hard plastic head reflect light very differently. I'm using some pretty intense studio lights in some of these shots, and when it hits certain ways, that difference pops. I't's great finding someone else who likes some of the more stylized looking figures too. I've stayed realistic with the Radio Kings, but I'm trying to maintain this (somewhat) consistent stylized look across all the House of Seasons stuff, and it can be tough finding heads that walk that line. And so glad you're digging Koda too! I was pretty thrilled myself with how he came together. I have a bunch more in this line coming up too. It's going to be a fun ride.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
great work, even more so that i´m usually not into that sort of figures. but this i like very much =)

something about your way to pose them that really breathes life into them.

not many collectors keep in mind how far an actual human joint can bend, with the result that their poses look very off.

(reminds me of everytime i display a figure, i keep an eye for the big toe to be in line with the knee cap to give it a proper stand =) )

your pics though are awesome.
cheers

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:Thank you so much Skywalkersaga!  You know, I had not heard the term "folk horror" before and it's a freakin perfect description.  Totally the kind of aesthetic I was going for.

Ah, you're welcome! And don't mind me.... I'm kind of obsessed with that whole aesthetic (and genre)! :3

ReverendSpooky wrote:And it's reassuring that there isn't too glaringly obvious difference in the head and body.  I really do believe that the rubber body and the hard plastic head reflect light very differently.  I'm using some pretty intense studio lights in some of these shots, and when it hits certain ways, that difference pops.

Completely agree. Artificial lighting is not kind when it comes to the 'plastic/vinyl vs. rubber' issue. ;p

ReverendSpooky wrote:It's great finding someone else who likes some of the more stylized looking figures too.  I've stayed realistic with the Radio Kings, but I'm trying to maintain this (somewhat) consistent stylized look across all the House of Seasons stuff, and it can be tough finding heads that walk that line.  And so glad you're digging Koda too!  I was pretty thrilled myself with how he came together.

I love both your Radio Kings and your House of Seasons! I get a sort of anime feeling from each of them, but in different ways. With the Radio Kings, I can see it in some of the clothing and hairstyles (St. Crow's outfit reminds me a little bit of a character from Wolf's Rain), while in your House of  Seasons it's makes me think of how anime characters would look if they suddenly appeared *in* the real world. Each one appeals to me in different ways. But then I love both live-action stuff *and* animation, and so I guess when I think about bringing my favourite fiction or genres to life in 1/6 scale, I automatically just view both as equally valid avenues to explore.

But even in just my brief time in this 1/6 customizing world so far, I can completely understand how difficult it is to walk that line between realistic and stylized, especially in the headsculpts....often because, it's very hard to even find headsculpts that are just the right level of 'in-between' in the first place. That's one thing I have been musing on recently -- this sort of strange (to me) dichotomy between the 'doll' aesthetic and the action figure aesthetic, and finding myself wishing there was a way of blending the better aspects of both.

In many respects, I'd say you've achieved something of that nature here --  as Tjolnir notes, your poses are incredible and very realistic. So even the 'stylized' aspect of the characters hairstyles or features still feels very 'real' because of how natural the poses are, and the characters have such life and, well, *character* to them. And of course the immense detail you put into them (and the dioramas) goes a long way toward that, but the posing (along with your photography and composition) really brings it all to another level.

ReverendSpooky wrote:I have a bunch more in this line coming up too.  It's going to be a fun ride.

Eee, can't wait! cheers

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Another fantastic figure! I love the fave mask, it looks so cool!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum