OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
It has been too long since I've posted an update here.  This summer has been a world-wind of so many new projects, and I so badly need to pause, take a breath, and then get some photos of everything.  The cast of characters from the world of the Radio kings has gotten huge, with 6 finished figures, 1 more I'm still struggling with a backstory on, and another three that are half or mostly done, that I'm sort of stalled on.  A modded Furiosa, some X-men, and lots of little environment details, and some truly HUGE 1/6 dioramas I have in the works.

But 1 of the things I'm most excited for is getting back to the world of Hose of Seasons

The 1st ones were done with 27 cm Volks bjd bodies.  While there were some great elements that I've kept and reused right up through the current incarnation and a a few that were a shame to loose (like LED light up eyes) they really do look primitive compared to what they've become.

House of Seasons 2.0 was where I really defined the line and expanded the cast of characters.  Lots of work I'm really proud of, as the story started to really gel in my head.  The Original Effect bodies were, at the time, the perfect base to start with building these characters.  Unfortunately, the shoddiness of their construction became more apparent as time passed.  Wrists and necks broke and crumbled.  Joints were unstable and figures couldn't be reposed without arms popping out of the sockets and hands falling off.  Getting them to stay standing was a nightmare.  I had so many ideas for photos, but they just were too difficult to deal with.

​Recently, when Phicen/TBLeague released the new smaller bodies, I had hoped that they would finally be the right fit to replace all of the current main characters from the House of Seasons line.  While I kept most of the Original Effect head sculpts, the new bodies make such a huge difference, and spurred me to make a bunch of changes I've so badly wanted to make.  

With this (hopefully) final incarnation, I've finally started writing down a bit of the backstory of the world and the characters.  Hope you dig it!

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1587_orig

The House of Seasons

​House of Seasons is an urban fantasy, set in a modern world where magik developed alongside of technology.  While most people are not gifted with an affinity for magik, the witches who have been are the elite who allow the world to function with magik a part of everyone's daily lives.  They are the healers that go beyond the limits of medicine, they design the engines that fuel the giant airships that sail the ley lines between cities, and they are the builders of the impossible.  All ruled by four great families, known as the House of Seasons for their powerful magiks heavily tied to seasonal themes.  For thousands of years, the country was divided into their four territories, the uneasy alliance between them rife with a constant push and pull for power.  Where their territories met, the great neutral city of Equinox, home of Balefire University, the world's most esteemed school of magik.

All this changed thirteen years ago.  Barlow of the Worm, a warlock from the lands of Autumn, tapped into something dark and ancient, and was consumed by it.  What he became was like nothing the world had seen, and it spread like a cancer.  Consuming all in its path, it fed on magik and corrupted all that it touched.  Officially considered a war that has raged on for all these years, most simply call it The Blight.  Political differences were put aside as the four families came together to hold back the seemingly endless tide of monstrosities born from this primordial corruption.  Four years ago, the war reached its darkest point, as Barlow's's forces reached the walls of Equinox.  In a desperate act, The House of Seasons executed the most powerful act of ritual magik ever recorded.  A great wall ripped up from the ground, spanning the length of the continent, the detonation of a spell so devastating, it destroyed everything for three miles beyond the wall, turning the ground to a sea of glass.  Thousands of witches died, their very life energies ripped from them by the all-consuming force of the ritual.

The tide had turned.  The glass sea left Barlow's forces nothing to feed on, and diminished, they retreated back into the blighted lands that they had conquered, where they have remained since.

But the cost had been heavy.  Half of the territories of Winter and Summer, in the north and south respectively, and all of the eastern territories of Autumn had been lost.  And it was only a matter of time before Barlow's forces would return to finish what they had started.  

At 18 years of age, all four of the heirs to the great houses meet for the first time in Equinox.  While all individually raised in the magik arts and trained by the best tutors that can be found, it's widely accepted that only when brought together in the elite halls of Balefire does a witch's education truly begin.  What no one anticipated was how they would be plunged into a world of occult conspiracies, secret history, gods and monsters, and dragged into an ancient battle that would change the fate of the world forever.

Alice of Autumn

Of the four great houses, the House of Autumn lost the most in the war.  All the lands of Autumn were taken by The Blight, and the surviving family has been forced to rule in exile from the lands of Spring.  And while many of the lesser nobles and some of the Autumn army remain, the royal family had been decimated.   King Dallan had been killed in the Seige of Songwood and Prince Solis has been missing since the Battle of Creighton and presumed dead.  Only Queen Auria and Alice, the heir to the House of Autumn, remain.  

On first meeting, Alice has a tendency to come across as a bit abrasive.  As the heir to the throne, she feels a strong responsibility to become everything she thinks a ruler should be, and her rigid adherence to manners and court customs is rooted in that ideal.  She can be oblivious to how her directness and impatience can come across to others. Her unwavering sense of justice and fairness transcends any social standing, and she simply can't understand why this puts her at odds with other nobles.  

While an excellent student, she has yet to tap into the deep wells of power the House of Seasons witches are usually known to possess.  Her connection to nature is especially strong, as she had spent most of her time growing up in the woods surrounding her ancestral home, and has felt cut off from that since coming to Equinox.  Since her childhood she has always shown a strong aptitude with swordsmanship and a bow and arrow, skills usually considered beneath strong witches, especially of noble birth.

She had every intention of dedicating her time at Balefire to unlocking her potential and becoming a witch capable of retaking the lands of Autumn.  But the paths we take are rarely as direct as they seem.  The new friends she makes at the beginning of her first year open her eyes to a side of the world she never knew existed, and she'll need all of their help if she's to survive what's to come.

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1552_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1554_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1556_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1558_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1560_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1562_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1564_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1566_1_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1568_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1570_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1572_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1574_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1576_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1578_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1580_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1587_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1590_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1591_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1592_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1593_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1594_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1595_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1596_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1597_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1599_orig

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons Img-1607_orig

http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow. Beautiful photography, detail, and intricate back story. I am not much for cartoonish faces myself, and given how real you made everything else look, I coudln't stop thinking "what would this look like with the closest realistic version of that head?" But despite this distraction (which is entirely a matter of personal taste), I am very impressed and look forward to your future updates on this world.

Also, very happy to see that the world of Radio Kings is also continuing to develop. As for the character without a back story, have you considered leaving him mysterious, and allowing hints about his past to trickle over time?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! So many details. Another great start to an interesting story. Her outfit is just gorgeous. Love the flowing scroll as she changes poses. How did you do the leaves?

Beautiful work and your camera skills are phenomenal. So glad to see you posting new stuff.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons C8485110

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed WOW, Great story line, Alice is very impressive with so many details, I love her sword, amazing diorama with so many details,
  Great looking outdoor photos and Beautiful photography!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Thank you guys so much!!!  Man, really glad you dig her.  It's another story I mean to eventually write and another world that takes up a lot of real estate in my head.  Until I do, this is kinda the outlet for it.  

GubernatorFan wrote:Wow. Beautiful photography, detail, and intricate back story. I am not much for cartoonish faces myself, and given how real you made everything else look, I coudln't stop thinking "what would this look like with the closest realistic version of that head?" But despite this distraction (which is entirely a matter of personal taste), I am very impressed and look forward to your future updates on this world.

Also, very happy to see that the world of Radio Kings is also continuing to develop. As for the character without a back story, have you considered leaving him mysterious, and allowing hints about his past to trickle over time?

Thank you Gubernator! I will admit, I go back and forth on the stylized heads as well.  I love them, but the temptation to go with something more realistic is also there.  But since there aren't a ton of heads I've seen that seem right, or will fit the smaller Phicen bodies, I think I've committed to this path.  There are currently 5 characters done, a 6th I should finish in the next week or 2, 3-5 more I plan to update with Phicen bodies, and 4 really monstrous villains in various states of completion.  Some of the heads are more stylized than others, but i hope they hang together well enough in a somewhat cohesive aesthetic.  So much to photograph and write up, and I'm trying to resist the lure of getting back to making stuff.

And the Radio Kings aren't going anywhere!  I think I'm just feeling the need for more good backdrops, and need some good options besides my back yard.  I'm building a huge garage and abandoned base/lab, so there are a lot of characters I've put off photographing for those.  Wish I could clone myself to get more done!

Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! So many details. Another great start to an interesting story. Her outfit is just gorgeous. Love the flowing scroll as she changes poses. How did you do the leaves?

Beautiful work and your camera skills are phenomenal. So glad to see you posting new stuff.

Thanks so much Stryker!  Really proud of the outfit too, and it was a lot of fun to make.  For the leaves, I actually got a great leaf shaped paper punch at the craft store that is the perfect size, and I punched them out of actual dried leaves from the same place.  The trick is to line up and use the actual veins on the leaf.

Hopefully this is the 1st of many new posts, while I've got this momentum going.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Indeed WOW, Great story line, Alice is very impressive with so many details, I love her sword, amazing diorama with so many details,
  Great looking outdoor photos and Beautiful photography!

Thanks much Badwolf!  Glad you like her!  The sword was from that John Carter figure, repainted to look like wood.  Thought the whole design fit for the House of Autumn.  Love shooting out doors, and fall is the perfect time for it!

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Style for a fantasy Figure ! Love her. The picture are full of details, like the leaves on the sheath or the rotten Hand in a glass. Shocked

MerylAkiba

Amazing; Magic scroll, sorcery sword, all the little cool knick-knacks and accessories.

blackpool

blackpool
beautiful figure, with an awesome background and universe, I love the world and characters you create! Fantastic work mate!

dadrab

dadrab
Very interesting concept and gorgeous photos, brah.

Mighty damn nice work.

ZombieKev

Very nice and cool original creation! The attention to detail is great. The elements all feel very.. carefully considered and chosen.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
WOW! Love everything about this! The use of that style of HS is a brilliant decision, the dress and corset are beautiful as is the sword. Very clever use of the trigger finger to keep the arrow in place on a riserless bow before drawing the bow string and accurate too!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Ephiane wrote:Great Style for a fantasy Figure ! Love her. The picture are full of details, like the leaves on the sheath or the rotten Hand in a glass. Shocked

Thank you Ephiane!  Happy that you caught those details.  Its not the last you'll see of the Hand of Glory either.  Very useful occult artifact.  It'll come up in future photoshoots, but for know, here's a closeup.  

Alice of Autumn- From the World of House of Seasons 7204400_orig

From Wikipedia:

"The Hand of Glory is the dried and pickled hand of a man who has been hanged, often specified as being the left (Latin: sinister) hand, or, if the man were hanged for murder, the hand that "did the deed."
According to old European beliefs, a candle made of the fat from a malefactor who died on the gallows, lighted, and placed (as if in a candlestick) in the Hand of Glory, which comes from the same man as the fat in the candle. This would render motionless all persons to whom it was presented. The candle could be put out only with milk. In another version, the hair of the dead man is used as a wick, and the candle would give light only to the holder. The Hand of Glory also purportedly had the power to unlock any door it came across."

Seemed a useful thing in the House of Seasons world.  I think I was using a £2 coin as the base of the bell jar, but have since swapped it out for a wood base.

MerylAkiba wrote:Amazing; Magic scroll, sorcery sword, all the little cool knick-knacks and accessories.

Thank you! Been trying to build up all the right details to make this world live.  Glad you dig it.

blackpool wrote:beautiful figure, with an awesome background and universe, I love the world and characters you create! Fantastic work mate!

Thanks much Blackpool! Really glad you're enjoying it. It's a weird way to tell a story, so I'm glad you're down for the ride.

dadrab wrote:Very interesting concept and gorgeous photos, brah.

Mighty damn nice work.

Thank you Dadrab! I'm always trying to improve on my photo skills, so genuinely happy to hear you dig the pics.

ZombieKev wrote:Very nice and cool original creation!  The attention to detail is great.  The elements all feel very.. carefully considered and chosen.

Thanks much ZombieKev! The details are where all the fun is.  Always a blast for me when working on this world.

shovelchop81 wrote:WOW! Love everything about this! The use of that style of HS is a brilliant decision, the dress and corset are beautiful as is the sword. Very clever use of the trigger finger to keep the arrow in place on a riserless bow before drawing the bow string and accurate too!

Thanks so much Shovelchop!  I'm really glad you like the stylized HS!  It's a bit of an unconventional look to go for, so it's reassuring to hear.  And after seeing the mind blowing work on your dwarves lately, I'll take that compliment on the clothing to heart.  And really glad I was right on the bow!  I know a few of you guys on here know your stuff with archery, so I was actually looking up references to try to be accurate.  Genuinely thrilled I got it right!

blackpool

blackpool
I find the story very interesting and well written personally, I'd be down for a longer ride!

Agreed on the stylized headsculpt, very unique and original, I think it works perfectly with the four houses story, a bit like there can be "versions" of the elves people, I find very cool that territories impact on facial traits of their population. Not sure if it's the intent at all, but it gives a very unique feel to the character!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
blackpool wrote:I find the story very interesting and well written personally, I'd be down for a longer ride!

Agreed on the stylized headsculpt, very unique and original, I think it works perfectly with the four houses story, a bit like there can be "versions" of the elves people, I find very cool that territories impact on facial traits of their population. Not sure if it's the intent at all, but it gives a very unique feel to the character!

Thanks man!  It really is another one I have so much of the story up in my head, and really should take a straight shot at writing.  

I like the idea of using more stylized heads in a fantasy setting.  It's totally a great idea.  In this case, I think it's just more of an anime/manga influence  for me.  If I could draw, I'd do a comic in that aesthetic in a heartbeat.  I think one of the reasons I do original characters as figures is because i can't just draw them Laughing

Allotropos

Allotropos
dude...like seriously.
you're increasingly raising the bar here with your work !
great diorama complimenting a wonderful figure !

Cobratrooper11

Cobratrooper11
so she is an oc? nice job on her, she looks really pretty, and yet tough.

Ovy

Ovy
I really like what you did with the leather, the layered clothing and the background items. I think leather bracers covering the transition from arms to hands would look great.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Allotropos wrote:dude...like seriously.
you're increasingly raising the bar here with your work !
great diorama complimenting a wonderful figure !

Thanks so much Allotropos! I'm always trying to grow and improve, so hearing that means a ton. House of Seasons world is a lot of fun for me, so I'm so glad you dig it!

Cobratrooper11 wrote:so she is an oc? nice job on her, she looks really pretty, and yet tough.

Thanks Cobratrooper! Totally the look i was hoping for. And yeah, definitely an original character. The whole House of Seasons story is my own story that I've been fleshing out as I design figures, although I do consider writing it all some day.

Ovy wrote:I really like what you did with the leather, the layered clothing and the background items. I think leather bracers covering the transition from arms to hands would look great.

Thank you Ovy! I like the bracer idea. I'm always torn on the covering the wrist and ankle joints in photos. On 1 hand, it's really tempting to hide them, since the rest of the seamless bodies seem so perfectly natural. On the other, they're fairly unobtrusive compared to a lot of other old joints, and if I tried to find a way to cover the wrists on every character, I worry it might look too weirdly the same, or out of place on certain figures and start to make me crazy on figures where I just couldn't make it make sense. So the wrist joint is definitely something I just made peace with, since the alternative might chip away at my sanity. Her design is kinda a tightrope, since I wanted to go fairly fancy, since she's royalty, but still have these element that look like she spends some time in the woods with a bow and arrow. But a bracer on her left arm might make a lot of sense with her bow. Might have to see if I can come up with something.

Ovy

Ovy
Yeah I am a bit OCD when it comes to visible joints. ^^ I think original characters are a great opportunity to hide joints with fitting outfits. It hurts my eyes to see a super detailed, weathered and customized figure like Daryl just to have visible wrist joints because of their design. Another alternative might be gloves (hard hand, flexible/fabric wrist part) for more diversity, she is an archer after all.
For my grey dirty Zombies I am experimenting with a grey dough (kneadable eraser actually) to cover the joints. Finding/mixing a dough in the same color as their skin might also be an option for humans.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Ahhhh I love this so much! Your worldbuilding is always an absolute treat to read about and I love the aesthetic of the figure!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Ovy wrote:Yeah I am a bit OCD when it comes to visible joints. ^^ I think original characters are a great opportunity to hide joints with fitting outfits. It hurts my eyes to see a super detailed, weathered and customized figure like Daryl just to have visible wrist joints because of their design. Another alternative might be gloves (hard hand, flexible/fabric wrist part) for more diversity, she is an archer after all.
For my grey dirty Zombies I am experimenting with a grey dough (kneadable eraser actually) to cover the joints. Finding/mixing a dough in the same color as their skin might also be an option for humans.

I totally get where you're coming from. The ankles are a bigger annoyance, especially since it seems an easy fix to have an extra joint mid foot to achieve the same versatility of the interchangeable flat and arched foot. But overall, I think I'm still so impressed with the difference having these (relatively) seamless figures makes, the wrist and ankle gripes seem so minor. But agree that as an archer she should be one of the easier ones to incorporate bracers into the design. I'm already thinking of options...

Lynkhart wrote:Ahhhh I love this so much! Your worldbuilding is always an absolute treat to read about and I love the aesthetic of the figure!

Thanks so much Lynkhart! Really makes me happy you're enjoying the story. It's such a big part of the overarching project of all of these figures, and I love being able to share it.

Mr. Razz

Mr. Razz
Rev, your storyline is AWESOME and the figures/props you make fit in so nicely...Looking forward to more!

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Mr. Razz wrote:Rev, your storyline is AWESOME and the figures/props you make fit in so nicely...Looking forward to more!

Thanks so much Razz, and welcome on here! Ask and you shall receive! I've got a whole lot more lined up in the House of Seasons world I can't wait to share.

peter the painter

great posing and pictures.

Cheers,

Peter.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
peter the painter wrote:great posing and pictures.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thank you Peter!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum