OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 39]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Oh I love it when you use artsy terms Smile Like Roger said, it looks good -- and very promising for the finished scene. I am glad you got the Tauntaun before it increased in price -- they probably didn't make too many and it is hefty; if it leaves anything to be desired (if it is too shiny or clean), a little repaint would make it look almost as good as a Sideshow or HT high end figure. And it is background decoration, anyway.

I’m pretty sure “rip it’s head off” IS the artistic way of putting it. Razz

skywalkersaga wrote:Wow, these pics really give a good idea of the scope of the project. And please don't worry about not working 'fast' enough...if you are slow at making something this large and complex, then I am glacial, lol!

I’m starting to find my rhythm with this arch, so things moved a bit quicker today. Woohoo!

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:I just found this thread, WOW what an amazing Star Wars project!

Thank you. It’s intensive, that’s for sure.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
And it progresses...

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7711

ReverendSpooky

Man, the sheer size of this never stops awing me.  Epic doesn't even do it justice.  Progress is looking great too.  Even unfinished, I love the look of it, like a scale set still being built.  Gets me fired up every time I see it.

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks, Rev. Glad to see you checking in -- work must still be a killer.

It really is, and no sign of letting up any time soon.  Made some time to hop on and catch up a bit here this weekend, before I dive into 1/6 projects for the rest of the day.  I actually have been working on fun stuff every free minute I have when i'm home though, but just been prioritizing that, and it's left me fairly antisocial. Laughing

http://reverendspooky.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Man, the sheer size of this never stops awing me.  Epic doesn't even do it justice.  Progress is looking great too.  Even unfinished, I love the look of it, like a scale set still being built.  Gets me fired up every time I see it.

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks, Rev. Glad to see you checking in -- work must still be a killer.

It really is, and no sign of letting up any time soon.  Made some time to hop on and catch up a bit here this weekend, before I dive into 1/6 projects for the rest of the day.  I actually have been working on fun stuff every free minute I have when i'm home though, but just been prioritizing that, and it's left me fairly antisocial. Laughing

Thank you, Rev. Glad to see you back at it; too bad work has been rough, but hopefully you can enjoy some free time this Easter weekend.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I know it takes time, but I love seeing it come together.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Guv. Another hour or two and I can add the next interior piece to the arch.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 C8485110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Finished up the main arch over Jabba's throne last night. (Added one little piece this morning to be able to add a light).

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 _dsc3140
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 _dsc3141

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice! Really coming along now. Will you be using some sort of plaster or plaster-like substance on top of the wood? Or would it be sufficient to paint it?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Actually, on the facing surface, I’m planning to use textured wallpaper that has a sort of stucco pattern. On the arch interior (the part above Jabba’s Head) I plan on using a thin layer of spackle. Then paint the whole thing up.

Eph

Absolute Amazing ! You can make that models for a Star wars Movie. But we are 40 Years to late that for. Now they do things like this with computer technics Rolling Eyes

scalawag

scalawag
This is really coming together nicely now buddy. Looking great.

Paul

Eph

OMG !!! You have the Rebo Band Creatures in 1:6 ? Love them

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Eph wrote:Absolute Amazing ! You can make that models for a Star wars Movie. But we are 40 Years to late that for. Now they do things like this with computer technics Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I miss practical effects in movies. I guess it's cheaper to make everything CGI, but still...

scalawag wrote:This is really coming together nicely now buddy.  Looking great.

Paul

Thanks, my friend. Still plenty of work to be done, but I think that was one of the more difficult things in this project. How to make it light enough, yet sturdy.

Eph wrote:OMG !!! You have the Rebo Band Creatures in 1:6 ? Love them

I wish they were precisely 1/6th scale (they're supposed to be), but they're actually closer to 1/7th scale -- a bit small, but it'll do.

Peaches

Peaches
Oh wow, this is getting insanely impressive!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Oh wow, this is getting insanely impressive!

Thanks, Peaches.

It’s been a bit of trial and (a lot of) error. I’ve probably made more mistakes than anything, but it’s definitely been a learning experience. I know this... I have a few more arches to do (not as painstaking as the main one), once this is done : I’m NEVER making anything with a damn arch again!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
More elements finished -- some still need some work. Finished construction on the risers for the band and the Han in Carbonite area. Pretty basic box for the band -- supports running through the center are to keep the base from warping under the weight. The steps leading up to Han were a PITA -- and as you can see from the under-carriage, there is a certain amount of gap "behind the scenes" on the steps -- oddly, it's pretty solid, and doesn't have issue from the visible point. The steps were a bit of a challenge as the risers are only 1/2" high -- very shallow. The trick was making each step that 1/2" higher than the previous one, while still accounting for the thickness of the wood. I've never had to make steps before, and after this T&E, I'm going to try something different for the steps around the throne. The holes in the angled wall with the doorway behind band riser is not for birds to enter; it's to have lights shining down on the band. (They actually had them in the movie, too). My guess is they used regular studio lights, but then they covered them with a semi-circular dome. I need to figure out how to make that same sort of cover to hide the round hole -- the square pieces behind the holes are to help angle/direct the light.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7713
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7714
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7712
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7715

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
A couple pics with the elements added (the section to the side of the Han display is drying at the moment):

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7717

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7716

scalawag

scalawag
Loving it mate, this is going to look so cool.

Paul

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think you have become an expert on arches. Smile And the scale of this is actually epic!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:Loving it mate, this is going to look so cool.

Paul

GubernatorFan wrote:I think you have become an expert on arches. Smile And the scale of this is actually epic!

Thanks, fellas. I only hope when it comes time to texture and paint it does look cool. I'm hoping lighting will hide any imperfections. Hehe.

As far as arches... I probably wouldn't mind doing them if I had a scroll saw like this:

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Proxy_38

... Instead I'm using this (a keyhole saw -- mainly used on drywall):

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Proxy_39

and files, and sandpaper -- very time consuming and much harder to work with for accuracy. The arch for the "doorway" behind the band is actually a bit of a cheat. The face of the arch in the wood was done with the keyhole saw -- but the inner arch itself is just tag board. I only needed 4 7/8" behind that door (all there's room for), so I opted for tag board as opposed to the thin balsa wood. I'm hoping once it's painted it won't be noticeable it's just thin cardboard.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
A couple quick pics of upcoming pieces:

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7719
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7718

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That "window" element looks very promising already.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here's the "window" in action. The tag board top is temporary -- I just wanted to test the light (there'll be 2 of them inside); I see I need to paint the interior black before I finish the top and the arch behind this smaller decorative arch.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7720

kyekye

kyekye
coming together very nicely!
BTW you have a clean garage space compare to mine! Mine is filled with figure boxes... Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
kyekye wrote:coming together very nicely!
BTW you have a clean garage space compare to mine! Mine is filled with figure boxes... Razz

Thanks.

When all these tools aren’t in the way, and are up against the walls, there are two cars and two motorcycles in there (well, the bikes are in there now). I gave up trying to keep all the figure boxes (with only a couple exceptions) years ago. My wife’s cool, but she’s not cool being unable to park in the garage (particularly in the Winter) — I’m pretty sure she’d kill me in my sleep if I took up all the space in the garage with boxes. Razz

Peaches

Peaches
Man, that's really coming together well! I have been wanting to buy a scroll saw for at least 30 years now, but just can't justify it as I never have the time to build things. Anyway, looking fantastic!

blackpool

blackpool
This is getting epic!!! thanks a lot for sharing the BTS WIP pictures, it's very informative! That build is gonna be insane!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Man, that's really  coming together well!  I have been wanting to buy a scroll saw for at least 30 years now, but just can't justify it as I never have the time to build things. Anyway, looking fantastic!

Thanks. Yeah, a scroll saw would be nice. My problem is more how many times would I actually use it, to justify the expense. They've come in handy when I have used them, though.

blackpool wrote:This is getting epic!!! thanks a lot for sharing the BTS WIP pictures, it's very informative! That build is gonna be insane!

Thanks. I have another arch just about done, but I'm out of sorts today, and probably won't do much.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, I did manage to finish that latest arch. I had to wire the lights up ahead of time -- as the two pieces fit snugly together (though they are not glued together) -- had to keep them as separate pieces in the event one/both of the lights burn out, and I need to be able to change them out.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 9 Img_7721

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum