OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 39]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Looks like a very solid beginning to me. Clearly this is going to be pretty professional and sturdy work.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Looks like a very solid beginning to me. Clearly this is going to be pretty professional and sturdy work.

Well, I hope so, anyway... We’ll see once I put the ceiling on if I did the load-bearing stuff correctly. Long way to go before that happens, though. Need to get the main archway over the throne up, and then I’ll start the steps.

scalawag

Thats looking great mate, keep the pics coming Wink

Paul

skywalkersaga

Definitely looking good so far. Thank you for sharing the in-progress pics! : )

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:Thats looking great mate, keep the pics coming Wink

Paul

Thanks, Paul, and will do.

skywalkersaga wrote:Definitely looking good so far. Thank you for sharing the in-progress pics! : )

Appreciate it, S.

My goal is too keep the entire thing as “sectional” as possible, so it will be easier to manage, but I’ll “lock” them in place once I get to that point.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 C8485110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, my poor math skills has reared it's ugly head. Been working on the main arch (for about 4 days), and even have a template to follow (which is, oddly, mathematically accurate), but when I went to build the thing with the real wood, I somehow miscalculated and ended up making it 1/4" too wide at the inner part. Luckily I caught it before I went hog wild with the inside support structure. I realized after I did it, what the problem was: when I laid out the template on the wood panel (which was supposed to be 2' x 4' I "adjusted" the template to fit the wood -- unfortunately, the "factory" where these panels are pre-cut don't EVER bother to check if the measurements are accurate -- so I found out that on one side of the panel (corner to corner) it was indeed 24", but on the opposing corners it was off by 1/8" (ie, 23 7/8"), sometimes as much as 3/16". GAAAHHH!!! Apparently the idiots that work in these factories don't know how to set up the saw to compensate for the thickness of the blade, or how to use a proper guide to ensure consistent cuts. So, now EVERYTHING has to be readjusted to compensate for these inaccuracies in how the boards have been pre-cut. It's my fault for not paying closer attention.

Anyway, I might be able to salvage part of the arch for a different area, but I'm going to redo the main arch AGAIN, and this time I'm going to triple check those measurements.  Shocked

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 Img_7621
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 Img_7620
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 Img_7622

Sorry about that last pic (I realized after I adjusted it, that I was working on it upside down).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sorry about your troubles. Even with the measurements a bit off, it already gives a clear sense of what it is supposed to look like when finished.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
So sorry, that's gotta be extremely frustrating. I'm glad you are determined to work through it though.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Sorry about your troubles. Even with the measurements a bit off, it already gives a clear sense of what it is supposed to look like when finished.

skywalkersaga wrote:So sorry, that's gotta be extremely frustrating. I'm glad you are determined to work through it though.

It's all good. Despite the frustration (and the cost of the wood), we learn from our mistakes. I'm determined to see this project through, regardless of how many errors I make along the way.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
I wouldn't sweat it, I mean it's unlikely that the original set would have been completely precise anyway. Just as long as it looked good when dressed I'm sure it passed muster.

CHEERS!

scalawag

scalawag
That is a bummer mate.

Just thinking out loud here, could you put a 1/4" fillet along the side of the steps to salvage this?

It looks like a fillet for there would be a relatively easy piece to cut and fit and would only add that small 1/4" return between the steps and the arch side wall.

Paul

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
scalawag wrote:That is a bummer mate.

Just thinking out loud here, could you put a 1/4" fillet along the side of the steps to salvage this?

It looks like a fillet for there would be a relatively easy piece to cut and fit and would only add that small 1/4" return between the steps and the arch side wall.

Paul

Unfortunately, it’s not that easy, as there is another wall on the outside of that arch, so the straight edge of that side would have to be shaved off by exactly 1/4” — which would mean cutting through the support structure that was started. I can salvage the arch — possibly: I was thinking I could just cut it in half at the top center, removing that quarter inch, and reattach it... (if that doesn’t work, I can always use the arch sections in different parts where it isn’t super critical of its exactness.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Oh man, so frustrating! Still, sounds like you have it well under control, and this is looking legit as hell. Enjoying watching this happen.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I wouldn't sweat it, I mean it's unlikely that the original set would have been completely precise anyway. Just as long as it looked good when dressed I'm sure it passed muster.

CHEERS!

Sadly, their's might not have been, but mine has to be a little more accurate since the entire thing is going to be encased inside a cabinet -- to hide all the structural supports, lights, wires, etc., and space limitations mean precision is paramount. Interior shapes (ie roughness of the arch shape, and things like that I think will add a certain amount of "realism"), but side to side, top-to-bottom, things need to fit within the parameters of the space.

ReverendSpooky wrote:Oh man, so frustrating!  Still, sounds like you have it well under control, and this is looking legit as hell.  Enjoying watching this happen.

Thanks, Rev. Glad to see you checking in -- work must still be a killer.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ran into another snag... broke my miter saw today, and of course, they don't make replacement parts for this particular cheap model (plus it's about 16 years old), and it's not a part that can be fixed; put it through it's paces over the years, so I guess it held up for as long as it could. Found another relatively cheap one at Menard's for under $90.00, but now I have to wait for the fine-tooth "finishing" blade to arrive from Amazon.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
On the bright side of things, you will have a brand new tool!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:On the bright side of things, you will have a brand new tool!

One can never have enough tools! Very Happy

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Sounds like you've been having a bothersome time like me. Managed to royally screw my PC several times. Looks to be behaving now though, touch wood!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Slow going. I corrected my measurement error on the width of the arch by cutting it in half at the center & removing that 1/4" inch; re-glued, and now working on the interior skeleton -- waiting for glue to set is a very slow process; in the meantime, I ended up making the arch that butts up against the main arch -- only half of it was needed. It's higher than the throne arch, as I didn't wan't an obstruction in the front of the display. I have three other arch structural pieces made and waiting for the glue to dry. Once all the pieces are fitted properly, then the work of sanding, etc. will commence. I don't work as fast as Shovelchop, so only two pictures.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 Img_7623
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 Img_7624

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is still very nice to see it come together. And I bet I know where that Tauntaun head is going to end up! Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, I ended up buying a full Hasbro Tauntaun just so I could rip his head off -- cost me about $40 with shipping -- kind of expensive for a decoration, but it needed to be done. It'll be on the wrong side of the carbonite display, but oh well.

Here's a quick light study (for the previously built wall -- the one to the right of the throne steps).

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 Img_7710

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Looking good!

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Oh I love it when you use artsy terms Smile Like Roger said, it looks good -- and very promising for the finished scene. I am glad you got the Tauntaun before it increased in price -- they probably didn't make too many and it is hefty; if it leaves anything to be desired (if it is too shiny or clean), a little repaint would make it look almost as good as a Sideshow or HT high end figure. And it is background decoration, anyway.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, these pics really give a good idea of the scope of the project. And please don't worry about not working 'fast' enough...if you are slow at making something this large and complex, then I am glacial, lol!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
I just found this thread, WOW what an amazing Star Wars project!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Oh I love it when you use artsy terms Smile Like Roger said, it looks good -- and very promising for the finished scene. I am glad you got the Tauntaun before it increased in price -- they probably didn't make too many and it is hefty; if it leaves anything to be desired (if it is too shiny or clean), a little repaint would make it look almost as good as a Sideshow or HT high end figure. And it is background decoration, anyway.

I’m pretty sure “rip it’s head off” IS the artistic way of putting it. Razz

skywalkersaga wrote:Wow, these pics really give a good idea of the scope of the project. And please don't worry about not working 'fast' enough...if you are slow at making something this large and complex, then I am glacial, lol!

I’m starting to find my rhythm with this arch, so things moved a bit quicker today. Woohoo!

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:I just found this thread, WOW what an amazing Star Wars project!

Thank you. It’s intensive, that’s for sure.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
And it progresses...

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 8 Img_7711

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Man, the sheer size of this never stops awing me.  Epic doesn't even do it justice.  Progress is looking great too.  Even unfinished, I love the look of it, like a scale set still being built.  Gets me fired up every time I see it.

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks, Rev. Glad to see you checking in -- work must still be a killer.

It really is, and no sign of letting up any time soon.  Made some time to hop on and catch up a bit here this weekend, before I dive into 1/6 projects for the rest of the day.  I actually have been working on fun stuff every free minute I have when i'm home though, but just been prioritizing that, and it's left me fairly antisocial. Laughing

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:Man, the sheer size of this never stops awing me.  Epic doesn't even do it justice.  Progress is looking great too.  Even unfinished, I love the look of it, like a scale set still being built.  Gets me fired up every time I see it.

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks, Rev. Glad to see you checking in -- work must still be a killer.

It really is, and no sign of letting up any time soon.  Made some time to hop on and catch up a bit here this weekend, before I dive into 1/6 projects for the rest of the day.  I actually have been working on fun stuff every free minute I have when i'm home though, but just been prioritizing that, and it's left me fairly antisocial. Laughing

Thank you, Rev. Glad to see you back at it; too bad work has been rough, but hopefully you can enjoy some free time this Easter weekend.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum