OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 39]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:My god man, I am so freakin in awe of this.  It is looking PERFECT.  That textured wallpaper is so ideal too, and such an inspired idea.  I can't even get over how clean looking the quality of craftsmanship is on this.  Seriously just floored.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Thank you, my friend. Glad to see you with us again. (And really looking forward to your elevator shoot).

Stryker2011

Founding Father
The final structural pieces have been texturized -- just need to clean up the edges; then I can start on the floor (grating) trap door cutout, the surrounding walls and the ceiling.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7811
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7812

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Good progress. Perhaps I missed it or just plain forgot -- why does the surface of the stairs differ, and will it be repainted so that everything matches (if need be)?

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
The surface of the stairs all over the place had a dot-pattern texture on them -- they generally blended in, due to lighting, and much of them had sand scattered all over them as well. I'm assuming the original intent was probably a safety feature for the masked performers to prevent them from falling and getting hurt.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Entran10
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Fettpa10
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Bbq_ar17

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:The surface of the stairs all over the place had a dot-pattern texture on them -- they generally blended in, due to lighting, and much of them had sand scattered all over them as well. I'm assuming the original intent was probably a safety feature for the masked performers to prevent them from falling and getting hurt.

Thanks for the explanation, which makes sense. I was actually wondering if you were trying to keep your action figures from slipping. Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Your attention to detail is pretty impressive there, Stryker — I feel like most people would have just made it smooth or just sort of fudged it, but you really went out of the way to capture even the surface/texture of the floor. Kudos! : D

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:The surface of the stairs all over the place had a dot-pattern texture on them -- they generally blended in, due to lighting, and much of them had sand scattered all over them as well. I'm assuming the original intent was probably a safety feature for the masked performers to prevent them from falling and getting hurt.

Thanks for the explanation, which makes sense. I was actually wondering if you were trying to keep your action figures from slipping. Smile

Razz That too, I guess. I think once it's painted the traction factor is probably going to disappear, though.

If I had really planned ahead, I would have made everything out of magnetic metal and then put magnets in the bottoms of everyone's feet. As it is it's going to be difficult to keep some of these figures standing. Boushh is a typically bad Sideshow body and wants to fall over no matter what. Bossk has fallen once already, and I'm more than a little worried about IG-88 (he's just so damn brittle).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 C8485110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Your attention to detail is pretty impressive there, Stryker — I feel like most people would have just made it smooth or just sort of fudged it, but you really went out of the way to capture even the surface/texture of the floor. Kudos! : D

Thanks, S. I wish I could take credit for it, but it was actually brought to my attention by a member of the Freaks board who made his own Jabba diorama for Sideshow's first version years ago. He supplied me with the pictures so that I could see first-hand ('cause like most people I missed it, too) that the steps around the throne room were indeed textured. He even pointed me in the direction of the drawer lining material (from Ikea) to get the appropriate size dots.

I still have some of that drawer liner material available -- and a whole other roll (I wasn't sure how much I was going to need) -- if anyone wants some for their own Jabba displays (assuming anyone else wants to try their hand at it). Just let me know.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
This is looking SO good!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:This is looking SO good!

CHEERS!

Thank you, Roger. Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Edge clean up complete. Working on the curtains for the back arch next to the Han display.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7813

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7814

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Razz  That too, I guess. I think once it's painted the traction factor is probably going to disappear, though.

If I had really planned ahead, I would have made everything out of magnetic metal and then put magnets in the bottoms of everyone's feet. As it is it's going to be difficult to keep some of these figures standing. Boushh is a typically bad Sideshow body and wants to fall over no matter what. Bossk has fallen once already, and I'm more than a little worried about IG-88 (he's just so damn brittle).

An unexpected bonus of a dio like this is that you'll probably have less breakage issues with figures displayed in it. Since it's a deep environment, you won't feel the need to display as close to the front, so you'll have less worry about tumbling off to the floor (the real figure killer). And the hollow structures, as well as the thickness of a textured wallpaper, I think would actually make a hell of a lot softer landing that a solid wood table or shelf.

Peaches

Peaches
dang, I never noticed all these details in the movies (OK, it's been YEARS since I've watched the first movies, need to re-watch!) But your textures are amazing! Will you be putting sand everywhere? If so, what will you use to get the texture down to scale?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:An unexpected bonus of a dio like this is that you'll probably have less breakage issues with figures displayed in it.  Since it's a deep environment, you won't feel the need to display as close to the front, so you'll have less worry about tumbling off to the floor (the real figure killer).  And the hollow structures, as well as the thickness of a textured wallpaper, I think would actually make a hell of a lot softer landing that a solid wood table or shelf.  

Yeah, I'm hoping once I build the surrounding cabinet and have the glass front, I won't have to mess with them too much -- it's going to be a challenge to open the thing to put them back up if they topple over.

Peaches wrote:dang, I never noticed all these details in the movies (OK, it's been YEARS since I've watched the first movies, need to re-watch!) But your textures are amazing!  Will you be putting sand everywhere?  If so, what will you use to get the texture down to scale?

Well, my structures are sort of my own set up. The Main Arch over Jabba's throne isn't exactly the same as the one from the movie. The "texture" details are as close to film accurate as I could make them, however. I was planning on using "Craft Sand" to spread out on the "ground" level and on some of the other surfaces -- but now I don't know; shazzdan suggested another technique that sounds kind of cool -- but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. The key is I don't want loose sand everywhere -- I pretty much want it glued down so it doesn't move, but has a natural look to it. I've even been contemplating using Vallejo Sandy Paste -- a gritty paint. Once it's on, it's not going anywhere.

By the way, the site was down for a bit it seems (or was that just me), so I wasn't able to get on for a couple hours this afternoon. Now, I'm not able to load any photos. WTF?! Guess I need to check what's going on...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Uploading pictures has been wonky today for some reason, but this is what I've worked on today; finished the curtains for the arch next to the Han display, and made the initial mask mockup for the Rancor Pit grating.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7815

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7816

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ah, yes, I was wondering what you meant by curtains, but this makes perfect sense.
Forumotion's servers were down and are slowly getting better.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Just looked into the tiling grout that shazzdan suggested (I'm assuming the "sanded" stuff), and I think that'll work great. Now I'm trying to decide on the color (I think "Almond" might work the best as it's a sort of brownish-yellow -- not quite mustard color; though "Antique White" looks like a good option, as well).

Peaches

Peaches
I dunno for certain, but seems antique white might be too light?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:I dunno for certain, but seems antique white might be too light?

Yeah, that’s kind of what I thought when I was looking at all the colors in the hardware store, so I went with Sandstone Biege.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Work again ! Another option for a ceiling i found here, made with arrases. Looks nice to.There are so many Great Pictures i found in the Net. But they are gone now. The turkish government found some resemblances with Jabba´s Palace and the Hagia Sohia in Istanbul. Laughing

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Jabba_10

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yes, I’ve seen that picture. It’s from the Battlefront video game. It is very cool — but even more removed from the actual set than mine is. Still inspirational.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:There are so many Great Pictures i found in the Net. But they are gone now. The turkish government found some resemblances with Jabba´s Palace and the Hagia Sohia in Istanbul. Laughing

Oh, THAT... I had forgotten. People do find the most specious excuses for being offended and making a fuss these days. Of course Lucasfilm was trying to make Jabba's desert environment look a little oriental (in the Near Eastern sort of sense)... and his films are replete with stereotypes (even more so in the Prequel Trilogy), but still. And it's not as if the Turks built Hagia Sophia; they usurped it, covered up the original art, and then imitated it with their new mosques.

Allotropos

Allotropos
dangit that's nice...and big..and nice  What a Face
Wish I had the space to build something THAT ginormous !

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Allotropos wrote:dangit that's nice...and big..and nice  What a Face
Wish I had the space to build something THAT ginormous !

Yes, indeed. Sadly once this is done, it’s pretty much the last of my free space...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, not much to report. (No pics, anyway). Started working on the "floor" and "ceiling" for this -- and it's been an absolute nightmare. Trying to use 2x4 foot Oak panels (about 3/16" thick) -- and since the mills that cut this stuff don't seem to really give a rat's behind if they're square or not -- trying to square them up to each other has been a PITA to say the least. Plus, I need some sections to have cut outs (like floor the Rancor Pit grating, the trap door -- at least the impression of it, as it won't actually work -- and a removable ceiling panel that can be lifted up and out of the way to get at the double arch with the lights in it (next to the band) -- in case I need to change either of the light bulbs at some point. Total floor and ceiling length and width at this point is 91.75" x 33 3/8" -- and since I'm working with roughly (but not really) 24" x 48" panels -- you can imagine the jigsaw puzzle I've been trying to manufacture, and glue together -- I don't have clamps big enough to put an 8' piece together so the floor will essentially be two pieces, and the ceiling three (counting the removable piece - which is only 4.25" wide).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Half of the Rancor pit grating is cut out. Took 2 days, and it's all done by hand -- looks sloppy, but that's as good as it's going to get. Hopefully once it's painted up, it won't be as noticeable. It's propped under the "floor" at the moment to hold it in place, so it looks a little uneven, as well.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7817

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The Rancor panels look quite good -- must have been quite a pain to carve them out. I recommend keeping any figures wearing stiletto heels away from that area... Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, that would make for a funny pose. One of the palace girls with her shoe caught.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Finished the Rancor Pit grate today... finally.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 15 Img_7818

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum