OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 39]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I know of the Creature Pack (that had Salacius Crumb), the Gamorrean Guard, and Bib Fortuna -- were there any other Throne Room creatures made beside those? You never see anything else other than those out there (occasionally) for sale -- and they're all crazily over-priced.

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:I know of the Creature Pack (that had Salacius Crumb), the Gamorrean Guard, and Bib Fortuna -- were there any other Throne Room creatures made beside those? You never see anything else other than those out there (occasionally) for sale -- and they're all crazily over-priced.

There were two creature packs:

Salacious B. Crumb; Ghoel - Wol (censored); Worrt and Sand Skitter. (I just realized there was an exclusive with a Dwarf Varactyl - but it doesn't look very good!)

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=21431&archive=y

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 1_5a858ad0744fb44390e0823e0fe86dc7

Buboicullaar; Spiny Rock Wart; Womp Rat (the Exlusive set had an additional scratching Womp Rat).

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=21441&archive=y

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 21441_11

Apart than Bib, the Gamorrean, and their more recent Jawas I don't think there were any other specific Jabba's Palace creatures.

On SSF icruise has been measuring his new Jabba and Throne.

Total width including Jabba's tail: 30"

Throne width including gargoyles: 28.5"

Throne depth including gargoyles: 17"

Total height including Jabba: 15.5"

Jabba's height: 11"

Measuring Jabba must be as difficult as trying to measure the first version, as you can't get a ruler close to the top of his head. His first measurement was a total height of 16", which may be correct as Jabba seems closer to 11.5" than 11" in the photos we've seen.

If the throne height and depth are correct then it should work perfectly with my stairs as is. The third step will be level with the throne at the point where Jabba sits, so Bib will be alongside him at the right height. If I let the gargoyles overhang the front of the shelf there'll be room at the back between the final steps for a platform that might take some other diorama elements.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I saw his measurements yesterday, then did some measuring of my own based on blueprints of Jabba's throne (specifically just the area surrounding the throne -- the stairs and the archway).

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 92850a10

And also using an image of the creature cast on the set (where I cropped the image to just get the part of the alcove behind the arch for what it is I'm looking for). A few of us over there reached out to twelveinchfigures to see if he could make a background for Jabba, and he said it'd be a possibility, he just needed to know how big -- and of course, what exactly we were looking for.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Jabba_11
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Jabba_10

Based on the measurements that icruise supplied (and Sideshow's own dimensions); this is the calculations that I came up with if all that was made is the room under the arch from the top of the throne (not counting the railing), to the top of the arch in the very front -- I'm assuming the photo was taken at a mid-level that allowed for the inner ceiling of the arch to be seen -- unless they built the arch to shrink the further back one goes -- which would throw off everything); and from the bottom of the arch where it meets the floor at the top of the steps from one end to the other.

Total width: 50.2375691" (at the very bottom of the arch)
Total height: 16.625" (from the top of the dais to the top of the arch -- not counting the rail)
The steps to the left of the dais would be 13.5359116" wide (at the center point)
The steps to the right of the dais (where Bib Fortuna is standing) would be 8.70165748" wide (at the center point)

As you can see, if you were going for "screen accurate" as close as can be judged, the background of just the room under the arch would be massive.

This morning, however, I realized my slight error.

I was using the measurement of the total width of the throne (including the gargoyle heads near the front on the sides), but the measurement of the width would only be the side of the dais WITHOUT the two gargoyle heads, as the stairs just butt up against the throne so it can slide back and forth and not have a big gap. That would alter the width of the stairs, and the arch, considerably.

Another idea to make the barbecue pit alcove image smaller -- using the above cast/creature set photo above: Reduce the alcove by the width/depth of the arches' inner ceiling, to give a forced perspective look -- that should bring the dimensions to a more manageable position -- as it would make the bottom of the arch (near the back end of the forced perspective -- I hope that makes sense) about a few inches off the sides of the throne -- so around 38" wide at the lowest point of the arch. My plan was to use some sheets of foam to make the arch above the throne, anyway -- and have a section extend back so that the dais sits under it, as it does in the movie; build the steps to add other characters, and the barbecue pit alcove is all that would be needed for an image...

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Thanks by the way, Asta, for all the pics of the creature packs. Other than the big frog thing and Salacius (maybe the rat), I guess I never really noticed all those other little guys. Revisiting some of those would be cool, but I'd like to see them tackle some of the humanoid aliens (or at least the ones that had a human inside of the costumes).

Edit: I’m actually surprised they never did the band, or the interrogator droid — or Oola, for that matter.

If HT doesn’t make a Slave Leia, that is going to be really disappointing.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I have some new measurements that might help, Asta. This is the new base, without the gargoyles:
26” x 15.5” x 4.5” (that height measurement should help with your stairs.)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 C8485110

Skippy

Stryker2011 wrote:I have some new measurements that might help, Asta. This is the new base, without the gargoyles:
26” x 15.5” x 4.5” (that height measurement should help with your stairs.)

Thanks for that.

I'm easy on the variables, as little differences in height can be utilised for other means. That is, if the throne is 4.5" high rather than 4", then Bib Fortuna on his stand won't be too tall relative to Jabba. If the stairs are a bit too low, then I could use one of the taller Hot Toys or Sideshow stands.

Sideshow's Threepio will be behind Jabba, so I put him on an old style oval stand to reduce his height. Ideally Threepio would stand directly on the throne without support, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him like that.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Some more pics from icruise showing the differences between the original Jabba set up and the new one (and some pics of his display under different lighting and different characters):

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Sidesh12
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Sidesh13
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Sidesh11
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Sidesh14
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 P1080310
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Img_2410
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 Img_2411

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
How can something so repulsive be so cool? LOL And it's just like Jabba to have a huge painting of him behind himself.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:LOL And it's just like Jabba to have a huge painting of him behind himself.

Lmao, I thought the same thing. XD

but seriously, that collector must be a HUGE Jabba fan, lol.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:I'd like to see them tackle some of the humanoid aliens (or at least the ones that had a human inside of the costumes).

Edit: I’m actually surprised they never did the band, or the interrogator droid — or Oola, for that matter.

^^agree with all of the above.

but then, I'm dying for any RotJ Leia in general.... Boushh, Slave Leia, Endor Leia (in the 'Ewok' dress), I will take them all!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:LOL And it's just like Jabba to have a huge painting of him behind himself.

Oh, he is a huge Jabba fan. He has a video review of this new piece under his other user name "The Mighty Jabba" (seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSG98ndZVNQ&feature=youtu.be), and he's shown his collection before -- he has EVERY Jabba (at every size) ever made.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:I'd like to see them tackle some of the humanoid aliens (or at least the ones that had a human inside of the costumes).

but then, I'm dying for any RotJ Leia in general.... Boushh, Slave Leia, Endor Leia (in the 'Ewok' dress), I will take them all!

I'm not a big fan of the Ewok dress look, to tell you the truth. I think Hot Toys teased an Endor Leia a while ago -- but she hasn't gone up for PO yet. I wouldn't mind a Boushh-Leia, in addition to the Slave outfit (then one can do a "Before/After" thing).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:

I'm not a big fan of the Ewok dress look, to tell you the truth. I think Hot Toys teased an Endor Leia a while ago -- but she hasn't gone up for PO yet. I wouldn't mind a Boushh-Leia, in addition to the Slave outfit (then one can do a "Before/After" thing).

Well that's fair enough. And yes, I would prefer a Boushh Leia, if I had to pick just one. Nothing like badass lady on a quest to save her man!! Very Happy

I happen to like the Ewok dress, in part for nostalgic reasons and also because I would be wanting to recreate the scenes in which she is wearing it. Smile But i'd only want it with (nice quality) doll hair, so it's prob not gonna happen with Hot Toys. ;p

ETA: and yes, I recall the HT tease of the Endor Leia, it was right around the time they announced the Hot Toys Anakin way back in 2017. But it never showed up. Also, it was the 'helmet and space poncho' look, which is probably the one *I'm* least keen on having.... :p

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:

Oh, he is a huge Jabba fan. He has a video review of this new piece under his other user name "The Mighty Jabba" (seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSG98ndZVNQ&feature=youtu.be), and he's shown his collection before -- he has EVERY Jabba (at every size) ever made.

Ahahaha, wow.

(Or should I say "ho ho ho, ho ho ho..." Razz )

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Looks pretty good,

The one thing I really want though is a 1/1 Salacious Crumb.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
Looks pretty good,

The one thing I really want though is a 1/1 Salacious Crumb.

CHEERS!

That would be cool. Hanging out with your Gremlins would be awesome to see.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

That it would, though I doubt he'd be as affordable as they were.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Won a Sideshow Buboicullaar Creature Pack this morning on eBay to go with this set up.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Nice one!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Received notification from Timewalker that Sideshow is shipping them out today to their customers. Should have mine by this weekend hopefully.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, my Jabba just shipped yesterday Mad , but I should have him by Thursday. Very Happy . I plan on building a table (yes, building), and then building a custom case to enclose my planned diorama for it to go on top of the table. (There’s a cold air return vent in the wall where the table is going to go — so I can’t cover that up with another cabinet). Right now I set up an old card table where he’s going to go until my shoulder heals, then I’ll start construction on his more permanent home.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That sounds wonderful ! Not envious or anything ! Razz

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yeah, it does sound good. I'm ram raiding Ikea when I move!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:
Yeah, it does sound good. I'm ram raiding Ikea when I move!

CHEERS!

I've purchased quite a few things from Ikea. Love that place. Unless you want something super fancy (and un-Godly expensive) -- they're the best. I have 6 wooden display cabinets from there, 3 Detolfs, and 2 storage cabinets (those were meant as Entertainment Centers -- but I use them under the Detolfs to lift them off the ground, and store a lot of extra parts for my figures). While I have woodworking skills, sometimes it's just cheaper (and a hell of a lot faster) to just purchase from Ikea -- since most of their stuff is extremely affordable; by the time you factor in the cost of materials and time going in to building something, it's often more economical (if they have what you're looking for) to just buy it. The table I have to build for Jabba's display is an odd size no one makes -- and I have plenty of wood to make it -- so that's my only route. Same for the cabinet to put the diorama; no one's going to make the odd size I need, and I'll have to buy a sheet of acrylic for the front -- man, that stuff's expensive.

You can see the cabinets, etc. in the "Man-Cave" thread here (which still isn't finished):

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t23-my-man-cave-still-a-wip-updated-4-4-18?highlight=man+cave

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

There's a big one in Leeds, I'll hit there with my Dad when we move my stuff.

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
I can't help myself. @Stryker2011's post last page, my head said "Why, he gruesome!" (Sorry!)

Oh my gosh, @Ephiane , your cat! So unabashedly adorable!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Massive box delivery day. My Jabba and the Han in Carbonite both arrived earlier this afternoon. It was a nightmare trying to get those boxes into the house with only one arm and my leg -- then I had to open everything, and take each individual piece out one at a time (not only to inspect, but to move them downstairs into my basement Man-Cave). I had heard many people complaining about the fragility of the pieces, and parts coming damaged -- particularly with Salacius Crumb's ears, but I was lucky -- absolutely no breakage. I can't even begin to describe how cool this thing is -- and IT'S HUGE!!!! The box is just under 3' long x 21" wide x 21" tall. The box in the background is the equally impressive box that the Han/Carbonite Environment arrived in, and the styrofoam sheet was over the first tray of goodies.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2924
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2925

Some of the parts are just wrapped in tissue paper, each one separated by layers, and some have an extra piece of foam to protect them (the Salacius heads and the Hookah -- which is real glass). I numbered each tray and labeled their contents as I removed things -- being careful to replace all the wrapping paper and foam to its rightful place.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2926

The base feels pretty solid and is probably polystone. Jabba himself feels like some type of composite (feels like fiberglass). The arms and mouth (not entirely sure about the eyes) have hidden magnets in them that correspond to hidden magnets in Jabba's body -- so things fit together nicely (changing out the mouths is a bit difficult -- those magnets work great). Each of the smaller pieces, particularly Crumb, feel very fragile, so this is not a piece I would mess around with much -- and if anyone else gets this monster -- this is more or less a Statue/Display piece -- to be treated gently.

Here's a quick setup I did with the Creature Pack and a kit bashed Leia (I forgot to put Bib Fortuna next to the throne when I took the pictures). Right now everything is on a card table -- but I have plans for this guy.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2927
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2928

And to go along with Jabba, I picked up this pre-owned Han in Carbonite Environment -- that originally came out in 2009 (I looked it up). A really nice piece and almost as big as the Jabba throne itself. The card table isn't big enough to put both of them on at the same time, but I kind of wanted a few things to give it size reference so you could kind of see how big this thing is. Then I added Hoth Leia to help as well.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2929
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2930
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2931
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 4 _dsc2932

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Congratulations on your baby boys... well boy and space slug anyway. Smile They do look great and I am sure in no time you will have them set up very impressively in a specially designed space.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Got to say, that does look really nice, colour me impressed! Am I right or wrong in thinking that somebody did do a statue of a reclining Slave Leia in 1/6!? Gentle Giant spring to mind.....

CHEERS!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum