OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Lynkhart

Wow, that one looks great! Does it work? On my to do list is a crossbow made of coffee stir sticks. And thanks! wrote:

It does indeed! I made the arrows with proper fletching and stuff too so they'll easily fly the length of a room!

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 9316159242_a23dc7e3a5Skara - 1:6 scale Skytrim bash by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 9316257522_7ca3c71df4Skara - 1:6 scale Skytrim bash by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 27982192039_ce469efc14image by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Oh I love all the leatherwork! It looks both primitive, yet functional and cosy, and the carving pics are fantastic!

http://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.co.uk

ThePhotogsBlog

Awesome work with that Carol head sculpt.  The costume is great also. That figure would look great as a barbarian in my post apocalyptic collection. It would also make a great basis for one of the mutant Luddites I want to include in my stories.

Ovy

GubernatorFan wrote:The hatchet is so cute... in this size. Smile As far as face paint, given he's a kid with a smaller head, maybe keep it fairly basic. Like a bloody handprint (even one where it would look like he was holding his head with bloody hands in a moment of despair?).
Thanks! He will use that little hatchet to cut twigs for mama and papa.

skywalkersaga wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:The hatchet is so cute... in this size. Smile As far as face paint, given he's a kid with a smaller head, maybe keep it fairly basic. Like a bloody handprint (even one where it would look like he was holding his head with bloody hands in a moment of despair?).

That's a great idea to have his facepaint be something he could have done on himself. I mean, kids love finger painting....and face painting... so ... makes sense.

Also, someone should be allowed to touch their own face freely and without inhibition right now... Laughing

Thanks for the input you two. Of the infinite possibilities to paint this boy's head I am not sure if I will make just a handprint though. The sketches with three little lines are supposed to be made with three little fingers. And if I make a hand, then not just a hand. Maybe a spiral was painted on his palm before application like I've seen on Mursi boys.

Lynkhart wrote:

It does indeed! I made the arrows with proper fletching and stuff too so they'll easily fly the length of a room!

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 9316159242_a23dc7e3a5Skara - 1:6 scale Skytrim bash by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 9316257522_7ca3c71df4Skara - 1:6 scale Skytrim bash by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 27982192039_ce469efc14image by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Oh I love all the leatherwork! It looks both primitive, yet functional and cosy, and the carving pics are fantastic!
Nice!! Haven't seen your  bow in detail yet, thanks! (stalked your flickr now) Binding the thread through the feather for fletching is something I haven't tried yet because I was afraid of damage, I only put thread on the ends. Great job. What did you use to make the wooden arrow shafts?
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Awesome work with that Carol head sculpt.  The costume is great also. That figure would look great as a barbarian in my post apocalyptic collection. It would also make a great basis for one of the mutant Luddites I want to include in my stories.
Thanks a lot! Feel free to feel inspired. Mutant Luddites sounds very interesting.

Here some Keanu sketches:

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200501-022158

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200501-022227

skywalkersaga

Ovy -- yeah, agreed ...it doesn't have to be just a hand print on the little boy, I was moreso thinking that it just made sense for it to be a design he could have made with his own hands/fingers. Your idea sounds great, can't wait to see! Smile

And I am liking the Keanu's.... I can't pinpoint which precisely is my favourite, but I think am most partial to the asymmetrical type of designs.

All of this is reminding me of helping to apply 'war paint' to my husband's Viking metal band before they would go on stage... Laughing

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
You're a master of innovation when it comes to making accessories from scratch at this scale, it's always intriguing to see what you come up with. It reminds me of Ephiane's work sometimes. Has anyone heard from her recently, by the way? Haven't seen any posts in quite some time.

The toddler headsculpt is interesting for sure, I'd guess there aren't very many of those types on the market that are easy to find. And that's such a great way to experiment with different face paint designs...there are so many options that work well it's difficult to narrow them down.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane hasn't posted in quite a while, though she has occasionally logged on. I hope she is doing fine, just busy or distracted.

I also like the "publicity shots" array with different variations to help determine what pattern might work best. Several of them look very cool (though it may be just my taste, but I don't think a painted line down the length of the nose looks good), but there is something to be said for showing it all in monochrome -- obviously the actual thing would look different. I do realize you're working on a specific character so that might not be a concern, but if I were you, I'd make a second Keanu "Jesus" head and keep one immaculate, one war-painted. Because, obviously, you would be limiting your head sculpt's casting possibilities once you commit to such a specific look. And there is so much that could be done with this one.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really like all the different comparison pics of your "paint" applications. Neat idea. Here are some of my favorite looks from your options (but I agree with the Guv -- make a second Keanu head to convert, as his Jesus look is just too cool to add that to on a permanent basis). Whichever way you decide to go, I'm sure it'll be cool.

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2012
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2010
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2011
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2013

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 C8485110

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
I agree about the Keanu Jesus head's versatility; would also make a badass custom of his Johnny Silverhand character from the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Intro-10
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Rhef8010

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh noooooo, you just had to go show me a Keanu with a cybernetic arm, didn't you...... Laughing I love you

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:Ovy -- yeah, agreed ...it doesn't have to be just a hand print on the little boy, I was moreso thinking that it just made sense for it to be a design he could have made with his own hands/fingers. Your idea sounds great, can't wait to see! Smile

And I am liking the Keanu's.... I can't pinpoint which precisely is my favourite, but I think am most partial to the asymmetrical type of designs.

All of this is reminding me of helping to apply 'war paint' to my husband's Viking metal band before they would go on stage... Laughing
Hah, didn't know that, how do they call themselves? Maybe he can help with the decision. Laughing

I will probably go with asymmetrical design. Thinking about committing asymmetrical designs for men and symmetrical paint for women.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:You're a master of innovation when it comes to making accessories from scratch at this scale, it's always intriguing to see what you come up with. It reminds me of Ephiane's work sometimes. Has anyone heard from her recently, by the way? Haven't seen any posts in quite some time.

The toddler headsculpt is interesting for sure, I'd guess there aren't very many of those types on the market that are easy to find. And that's such a great way to experiment with different face paint designs...there are so many options that work well it's difficult to narrow them down.

GubernatorFan wrote:Ephiane hasn't posted in quite a while, though she has occasionally logged on. I hope she is doing fine, just busy or distracted.

I also like the "publicity shots" array with different variations to help determine what pattern might work best. Several of them look very cool (though it may be just my taste, but I don't think a painted line down the length of the nose looks good), but there is something to be said for showing it all in monochrome -- obviously the actual thing would look different. I do realize you're working on a specific character so that might not be a concern, but if I were you, I'd make a second Keanu "Jesus" head and keep one immaculate, one war-painted. Because, obviously, you would be limiting your head sculpt's casting possibilities once you commit to such a specific look. And there is so much that could be done with this one.
Thanks, and you are right, it will take some time until I am 'ready' to paint his face. Until now all my characters heads, bodies and equipment are merged to be together forever. Maybe I do this to limit the endless potential to get shyt done. Fell free to make a long haired Keanu too! 

Stryker2011 wrote:Really like all the different comparison pics of your "paint" applications. Neat idea. Here are some of my favorite looks from your options (but I agree with the Guv -- make a second Keanu head to convert, as his Jesus look is just too cool to add that to on a permanent basis). Whichever way you decide to go, I'm sure it'll be cool.

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2012
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2010
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2011
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Psx-2013
Thanks a lot for your interest/extra work here! I see, you have a tendency. Wink

AlKelAstra91 wrote:I agree about the Keanu Jesus head's versatility; would also make a badass custom of his Johnny Silverhand character from the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Intro-10
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Rhef8010
Ha, heard that comparison before, thanks! Although I probably won't ever remake 'existing' characters again. But I already tried how he looks in black kevlar. Ana sunglasses.

skywalkersaga wrote:Oh noooooo, you just had to go show me a Keanu with a cybernetic arm, didn't you...... Laughing I love you 
What's it with you an cybernetic armed men? xD

I made a ghost Keanu with reusable molding paste and resin for 3d face paint testing.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200502-174228

Btw, I dreamed that Keanu Reeves visited my workplace (which for some reason looked like an old classroom from my past) I wanted to show him pics of his headsculpt I rooted but couldn't find it, then I went to pick the real sculpt. Nice guy, forgot to take a photo. One day, I want technology that has access to the folder with all the pictures I took in my dreams.

Working on the axes, decided for the 'right' stones now. For the wrapping I used thread that looked like sinew, dirtied it up a little.

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200502-173130

I found old leather shoelaces in a forgotten drawer, never seen those. They actually were long squares, too thick for belts and straps. But some knife magic turned them into usable straps. 
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200501-234539

On the left the uglier backsides for water zombies etc, on the right the shiny smooth ones.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200501-234600

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 Uzumaki-manga-2-09102019

I refined them all in one long session where I researched what the hell that Tiger King phenomenon is. Now I know...[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200501-234620

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hey, that looks like my Walmart Darice boxes! And is that dental floss on the axes? Very cool experimental Keanu face design. I've been considering using the green stuff to make molds but haven't tried anything yet.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Ghost Keanu should be an apperance in the forest or something. I like those axes too they look really nice. I remember having bought some "leather" laces not long ago, when I went to try and use them they snapped, I usually go for faux leather, buy a yard of it and keep it around, otherwise I look at purses and buy the ones with the cool leather, employees might think I'm the world's greatest boyfriend/husband buying their significant other purses but in reality I'm just doing it for the faux leather. Very Happy

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Hey, that looks like my Walmart Darice boxes! And is that dental floss on the axes? Very cool experimental Keanu face design. I've been considering using the green stuff to make molds but haven't tried anything yet.
Thanks! It's a very cheap Chinese box from a dollar store. If it doesn't kill me, Karma will.
The thread is similar to dental, floss yes, but I guess it's just synthetic random super fine thread.

And don't use Green stuff to make molds!
For cheap quick reusable non silicone molds, use something like Oyumaru/Blue stuff. You can knead it after heating in water and press your item into it. It cures very fast and is flexible. Then you can put the green stuff in there, or polymer clay or Resin etc.

Another bath in hot water and it can be used again.

Theboo-bomb wrote:Ghost Keanu should be an apperance in the forest or something. I like those axes too they look really nice. I remember having bought some "leather" laces not long ago, when I went to try and use them they snapped, I usually go for faux leather, buy a yard of it and keep it around, otherwise I look at purses and buy the ones with the cool leather, employees might think I'm the world's greatest boyfriend/husband buying their significant other purses but in reality I'm just doing it for the faux leather. Very Happy
Ha, yeah maybe his ancestor ghost appears after smoking the pipe I want to build some day. Thanks.

And I think there is a difference in quality between today's 'leather' laces and those old ones my dad used 40 years ago that I found.

Nice story about that faux leather stuff.
I also have a small supply of faux leather, old handbags from Grandma etc, but the real thing is my favourite, especially for those forest people. Very Happy 

Speaking of leather and forest, 
I used my old Worbla scraps for some new mask bases. The new ones are on the pelt, the old ones are above.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200503-213508

Finally a mask for Shryette. Maybe it will have two modular parts.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200503-213620

I tamed her hair just yesterday, but with the aluminium foil for mask making in her face, it's messy again. Her headband is from my new strap collection.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200503-213823

Tried a fur mask... didn't like it at first, but now that it has dried, acceptable. The 'scar' above the eye was a happy little accident.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200503-213659

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Happy accidents or not, the masks are turning out very cool. Of course, I hope some of your photos, at least, reveal the treasures within. Smile And thanks for the info on what you use for molds -- I looked it up and ordered a couple of options.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
These masks are very striking, and sort of creepy. They look straight out of a slasher movie (though that may not be your intent), or some 60s “prehistoric” flick. Really cool stuff — especially the fur mask.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Oh those masks are wonderfully creepy, I love them!

(Oh and one response to an earlier question, I used good old fashioned cocktail sticks/toothpicks for the arrows!)

ukshaun

ukshaun
Impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Awesome work on the masks -- those are exactly my kinda thang! Smile

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Happy accidents or not, the masks are turning out very cool. Of course, I hope some of your photos, at least, reveal the treasures within. Smile And thanks for the info on what you use for molds -- I looked it up and ordered a couple of options.
Thank you! What do you mean by treasures, the faces?
And good luck with those molds.

Stryker2011 wrote:These masks are very striking, and sort of creepy. They look straight out of a slasher movie (though that may not be your intent), or some 60s “prehistoric” flick. Really cool stuff — especially the fur mask.
Thanks, haha, that's what I thought, that's why I gave him that knife. To scare some Cargonites threading their land.

Lynkhart wrote:Oh those masks are wonderfully creepy, I love them!

(Oh and one response to an earlier question, I used good old fashioned cocktail sticks/toothpicks for the arrows!)
Thanks, they are supposed to be a bit creepy, yes!

And I found the Toothpicks always a tiny bit too thick, that's why I went with that polystyrene rod for my mine.

ukshaun wrote:Impressive.
Thank you.

skywalkersaga wrote:Awesome work on the masks -- those are exactly my kinda thang! Smile
Thanks, I know!  Very Happy

I finished some kind of trapper hat yesterday. No sewing because I am lazy.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-134035

Old tiny leather scraps were useful for this tiny man.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-134115

The leather mask. I removed the Worbla inside.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-134314

Some quick trapper hat shots.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-135128

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-135203

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-135228

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-135258

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-135342

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-135751

Proud mask owner.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-135946

It's very lightweight
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-140232

I wanted the mask to be tight so he can look through, but not too thin so his eyes and mouth can disappear in shadows for more mystery.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-140313

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-140447

Reminds me of some post Soviet Militia with Ushanka and Ski mask.
Pretty sure some Ancestors used that combination.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-140555

So cute.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-140626

This fur thing was supposed to be the actual hat, but than I made the trapper hat.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-140947

Mask on top of hat.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-141147

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200506-141233

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done -- everything came together just right, all the more impressive since you used leftover pieces. And thanks. Also, yes, treasures = your modified faces.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Those last couple shots with the mask over the fur and cap look great. Really neat idea.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Giving him that fur hat was such an inspired idea! And you executed it so brilliantly. Every one of the characters from this particular group never ceases to amaze. I always think the latest one is the best one yet but then you come up with another. The work on this one is especially impressive, given his relatively diminutive size.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those masks look great, the last photo of the kid with the mask is quite creepy in my opinion. I would say it's best we leave their woods alone.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Very nicely done -- everything came together just right, all the more impressive since you used leftover pieces. And thanks. Also, yes, treasures = your modified faces.
Thanks a lot! Yes a lot is coming together recently, although the face paint still has to wait a bit.

Stryker2011 wrote:Those last couple shots with the mask over the fur and cap look great. Really neat idea.
Thanks a lot, yes the cap makes the mask more menacing when on top.

skywalkersaga wrote:Giving him that fur hat was such an inspired idea! And you executed it so brilliantly. Every one of the characters from this particular group never ceases to amaze. I always think the latest one is the best one yet but then you come up with another. The work on this one is especially impressive, given his relatively diminutive size.
Thanks a lot! And it was nice working on such a little guy, needed much much less material.

Theboo-bomb wrote:Those masks look great, the last photo of the kid with the mask is quite creepy in my opinion. I would say it's best we leave their woods alone.
Haha, thanks I guess. It's unwise to provoke them for sure.

I should be in Spain right now, hiking etc. But now I have to resort to the area around here.

Our boy likes to do some exploring on his own, finding old structures made by the ancestors, now eaten by the forest.

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-231116

Met these two random creatures. The penguin person looks a bit presidential.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-231013

Lake break.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-231231

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-215528

Next destination, ruin of an old youth centre/nature house thing/children's home.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220559

Built in the 20s, it burned in the 90s. It's so remote, it was complicated to bring enough water up there and get the fire under control. Now it's decaying and eaten by the forest. Notice the showers and heaters left of the tower.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220624

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220000

I like the apocalyptic vibe of the interior. Reminds me a bit of AlKel's backdrops.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220101

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220125

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220226

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220259

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220151

Next to the head, you see the sand falling, looks better in motion.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220326

[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220358

Creepy grid window door.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-220523

A chernobylistic room full of dead chairs.
[2/22/21] The Children of the Monsters - Snow hike - Page 6 PSX-20200518-215750

In Part two, he will climb that yellow crane and visit the mess hall and dark rooms.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
What a great location. I’m shocked they don’t have that fenced off — be careful out there. Love the shots, but they may not be worth getting accidentally hurt (or worse) while on location.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice update. Interesting location (stay safe!), so well used. I'm particularly impressed by your ability to keep the difference in scale virtually invisible.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Cool pictures and great abandoned place.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What an incredible location -- I am envious. Would love to explore it. Though as others have said, hope you and your cute lil forest-kid stay safe. Wink 

He truly is adorable, much in the feral way a wolf pup is adorable. Delightful creation. So much life to him. By the lakeside, I almost expect him to have brought some food and be eating some snack. And he seems so pleased to have 'found' the Lost Place. :'D

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Great shots. Kamiko wishes she had a place like that nearby also, but she doesn't Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum