OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The weird directionless robot thread

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The weird directionless robot thread Empty The weird directionless robot thread Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Just saw that on a YouTube ad recommend to me... Probably because I was googling for some kind of little buildable cute Chinese walking robot to get for my brother and his son for Christmas.

Well, his seems to be the high end version:

I guess that tiny fella is great for kids to learn how to program little robots to drive from point A to point B...  and anonymously kill strangers with your smartphone! Or your friends. It's 550$ or something. Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Am I the only one who has to think of 1/6 figure mounted sci fi battle platforms or a truck that could be made out of these? Looks like a soulless warbot from a dystopian SciFi world (for kids).

I won't get one of those, but had to share it an see if I am the only one who gets an unintentionally satirical/cynical vibe from the video.
And I guess there are cheaper variants.

And never forget - LEARN TO WIN!

2The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
There is a huge amount of technology in that. From the programmable AI to the fancy wheels and suspension. It would be cool to see a Joe hanging off the back of it. DJI is the Chinese company that makes the majority of the world's drones and some governments are worried about the data they are collecting with these.

3The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yes, I'd love to see this integrated into a cool 1/6 sci fi construction (by shovelchop or Pontiacivan?) and set loose among a bunch of 1/6 figures. The price and possible invasion of privacy are less lovable aspects of its potential...

4The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:32 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks interesting, but let's be real, this is for the big guys that want to run around the house shooting their girlfriend or wife with the beads 😉. There is a small problem however, I don't know where to find a well lit storage space, closest one is being transformed into a VA clinic and I doubt they'll allow me to go around with my little robomaster murder machine 5000 (I already named it).

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! The weird directionless robot thread 1f60e

5The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Mhh... thanks for showing but not mine. Please show us pictures of the little buildable cute Chinese walking robot You are searching for. That sounds more intresting to me.

6The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:20 am

Ovy

Ovy
shazzdan wrote:There is a huge amount of technology in that. From the programmable AI to the fancy wheels and suspension. It would be cool to see a Joe hanging off the back of it. DJI is the Chinese company that makes the majority of the world's drones and some governments are worried about the data they are collecting with these.
Interesting. I recently learned the NSA banned furbies because they might be Eastern spies?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/254094.stm

GubernatorFan wrote:Yes, I'd love to see this integrated into a cool 1/6 sci fi construction (by shovelchop or Pontiacivan?) and set loose among a bunch of 1/6 figures. The price and possible invasion of privacy are less lovable aspects of its potential...
Ha yes also thought of pontoacivan!

Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks interesting, but let's be real, this is for the big guys that want to run around the house shooting their girlfriend or wife with the beads 😉. There is a small problem however, I don't know where to find a well lit storage space, closest one is being transformed into a VA clinic and I doubt they'll allow me to go around with my little robomaster murder machine 5000 (I already named it).
Well, machines themselves are pure beings free of evil, but in the hands of humans... Laughing

Ephiane wrote:Mhh... thanks for showing but not mine. Please show us pictures of the little buildable cute Chinese walking robot You are searching for. That sounds more intresting to me.

I found the robot again, but it's labeling is a bit confusing. It has multiple names it seems, like Zivko, Kiko, Mofun 963 or Tobbie, don't know if they are all from the same manufacturer or companies ripping of each other. Prices range from 14$ to 40£.
I could magine painting him in a realistic grungy rusty look.

But well, just watch that cute video:

Mofun
https://m.gearbest.com/rc-robot/pp_009423311629.html

And when I was looking for that little guy, YouTube algorithm knew exactly what I needed. I found some weird stuff like a Furby Orchestra Organ or Amazon Alexa turned into a Furby. But my favourite was a Japanese person obsessed with Thomas the tank engine who customized nightmarish apocalyptic robots with beautiful rusty paintjobs.

And also creates beautifully weird Post apocalyptic Disney characters in 1/6! The circle is now complete. Thanks again to YouTube for knowing me better than I will ever do.

7The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:35 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Speaking of “Eastern Spies” — I heard a news story yesterday about FaceApp — which is made by a Russian company — may, in fact, be the same thing — since it “might” include spyware (to gain access to social media accounts of not only the user, but all your contacts as well). What you do with that information is up to you.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

The weird directionless robot thread C8485110

8The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:54 am

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

As is typical, all based on the assumption that everyone has a smartphone. As if the robot doesn't cost enough already, you also have to have one of them and it looks like it'll also have to be compatible with the joystick add on. Seriously there is NOTHING wrong with an R/C controller! Adapt one of them instead of a damn phone.

9The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:24 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Just get a cheap android tablet. You can get them for $20. Or ask one of your teenage relatives for one of their old phones. Kids update their phone every year or two and many of them just leave the old ones in a drawer collecting dust.

10The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
That looks like a great Project. Think You can modify the 20 $ Robot with Leg extensions and a rusty paint job and some additional parts into a really cool 1:6 Robot. Very nice point is, it´s a construction set. You don´t have to break a complete robot with glued parts into pieces. The crawling leg robot is much cooler than the wheeled one

11The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:53 pm

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
Duuuude, this Thomas the Arachnobot is sick as hell. So this is what Sid, from Toy Story, is doing these days?
I admire so much people with that level of creativity. Now I need a Zivko to customize... and the Robomaster to dream having it one day...
Thanks, Ovy, for this awesome post, cuz I hadn't heard about these robot projects till now. Will keep an eye on them.

12The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
shazzdan wrote:Just get a cheap android tablet. You can get them for $20. Or ask one of your teenage relatives for one of their old phones. Kids update their phone every year or two and many of them just leave the old ones in a drawer collecting dust.

There would doubtless be compatibility issues between the phone/tablet software and the app for the robot, they always want you to have the latest and greatest. I don't have teenage relatives anymore.

13The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I remembered that I saw some little robots in Office Depot this past Sunday so I looked up robot online and I think I found it.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8427504/Braha-ROBO-IR-Control-Interactive-Toy/
The weird directionless robot thread PQRXcFp
On the site it says they are 8 inches tall (or about 18 cm's if my brain math is right) but in person they looked a bit tinier at least to me, they sell for 30 usd which is funny considering the box name, it is totally a steal or should I say, robo😂.

Perhaps they can be turned into future delivery bots or something closer to a knockoff astromech, I haven't checked any of the Chinese sites for it but chances are they are selling it.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! The weird directionless robot thread 1f60e

14The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:20 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Speaking of “Eastern Spies” — I heard a news story yesterday about FaceApp — which is made by a Russian company — may, in fact, be the same thing — since it “might” include spyware (to gain access to social media accounts of not only the user, but all your contacts as well). What you do with that information is up to you.
Yeah, who knows. What is known is that they use Amazon servers (Western spies) for the photos that are saved. They claim those are only uploaded or 24 hours or something and then deleted. One can only wonder if they are confused by real looking 1/6 figures with smiles.

Rogerbee wrote:
As is typical, all based on the assumption that everyone has a smartphone. As if the robot doesn't cost enough already, you also have to have one of them and it looks like it'll also have to be compatible with the joystick add on. Seriously there is NOTHING wrong with an R/C controller! Adapt one of them instead of a damn phone.
Well I guess they assume anyone who buys such a 600 $ dollar monster is a tech freak with plasma TV and iPhone and iPad for their children and their dog anyway. Laughing

Ephiane wrote:That looks like a great Project. Think You can modify the 20 $ Robot with Leg extensions and a rusty paint job and some additional parts into a really cool 1:6 Robot. Very nice point is, it´s a construction set. You don´t have to break a complete robot with glued parts into pieces. The crawling leg robot is much cooler than the wheeled one
Thanks, not sure yet if I can get it done by Christmas though, haven't even ordered one yet and it might take some shipping time. I like the construction set aspect too, the base paint for the blue/yellow parts can be applied before assembly this way.

FreakinLobster wrote:Duuuude, this Thomas the Arachnobot is sick as hell. So this is what Sid, from Toy Story, is doing these days?
I admire so much people with that level of creativity. Now I need a Zivko to customize... and the Robomaster to dream having it one day...
Thanks, Ovy, for this awesome post, cuz I hadn't heard about these robot projects till now. Will keep an eye on them.
Hah your welcome, happy you found it useful in a way.
And considering Toy Stories Sid, what I thought about him...

...when I was a kid: He is evil!
...when I grew older: Man the poor boy is mentally ill. Who knows what his parents have done to him?
...after I got into the 1/6 hobby: Nice grungy style, very edgy and unique, keep up the great work! Laughing

About our Japanese soulmate, who isn't only a robot manufacturer but also some kind of hacker/cosplayer/costume artist/collector/character actor - Here a walkthrough of the collection. Beware the voice scrambling.

Theboo-bomb wrote:I remembered that I saw some little robots in Office Depot this past Sunday so I looked up robot online and I think I found it.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/8427504/Braha-ROBO-IR-Control-Interactive-Toy/
The weird directionless robot thread PQRXcFp
On the site it says they are 8 inches tall (or about 18 cm's if my brain math is right) but in person they looked a bit tinier at least to me, they sell for 30 usd which is funny considering the box name, it is totally a steal or should I say, robo😂.

Perhaps they can be turned into future delivery bots or something closer to a knockoff astromech, I haven't checked any of the Chinese sites for it but chances are they are selling it.
Those look nice too, thanks for the link. And yes, quite confusing to navigate the Chinese online merchandize jungle.

And YouTube (Western Spies) seems to know now what I am looking for, recommended this is a nice video with an actual person talking about the product.

15The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Hey Ovy,
News about Your robot ? Don´t feel stressed. There are more unfinished projects in my cellar than in Yours. Laughing

16The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:40 pm

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
Ephiane wrote:Hey Ovy,
News about Your robot ? Don´t feel stressed. There are more unfinished projects in my cellar than in Yours. Laughing

--

Amateurs.

Wink

I have more unopened 1:6 figures still in their boxes in storage compared to unfinished projects from both of you combined.

Of course, I still say the two of you (and others) are far superior 1:6 collectors than I'll ever be in this lifetime because all of you actually open and set up your 1:6 figures.

~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

The weird directionless robot thread 23116610

17The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:43 pm

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
A couple of my 1:6 "dream" projects.

The weird directionless robot thread New_do10

The weird directionless robot thread Tumblr10

~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

The weird directionless robot thread 23116610

18The weird directionless robot thread Empty Re: The weird directionless robot thread Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:25 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
These might be a bit overly specific, DFC, but have you taken a look at 3D printing sites and 3D model download sites (whether pay or free) to see if perchance someone has not created them?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum