OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 21]

476Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 21 Feb 2023 - 10:35

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:What is the situation with leaving the oil pastel on the figure?
Will it dry and crack? ..or simply stay as it is?
When you are done with the "ensconcing" (rubbing in) of the oil pastel with the make up sponge and with the washing off (with soap and water) of any extra oil pastel that might have caked up on top or not become properly ensconced, there shouldn't be any continuous layer of oil pastel on top of the surface -- it would be bonded with/integrated into it. So it will not crack, unless somehow the TPE surface itself cracked (it doesn't do that, although in exceptional cases it has torn -- but that is in general, and nothing to do with oil pastels). Ephiane thinks the oil pastel might actually help protect the TPE material (which is slightly oily for a reason -- and that's another reason we need the protective powder), and she is probably right. Not cracking and flaking is precisely the advantage of the oil pastel method (and Rite dye and shoe cream methods, likewise) over paint and paint markers.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

477Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 21 Feb 2023 - 11:09

ukshaun

GubernatorFan wrote:
ukshaun wrote:What is the situation with leaving the oil pastel on the figure?
Will it dry and crack? ..or simply stay as it is?
When you are done with the "ensconcing" (rubbing in) of the oil pastel with the make up sponge and with the washing off (with soap and water) of any extra oil pastel that might have caked up on top or not become properly ensconced, there shouldn't be any continuous layer of oil pastel on top of the surface -- it would be bonded with/integrated into it. So it will not crack, unless somehow the TPE surface itself cracked (it doesn't do that, although in exceptional cases it has torn -- but that is in general, and nothing to do with oil pastels). Ephiane thinks the oil pastel might actually help protect the TPE material (which is slightly oily for a reason -- and that's another reason we need the protective powder), and she is probably right. Not cracking and flaking is precisely the advantage of the oil pastel method (and Rite dye and shoe cream methods, likewise) over paint and paint markers.

(thanks)
What if only a thin layer of oil pastel has been used, is not possible to pass on the soap and water phase?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

478Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 21 Feb 2023 - 11:53

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:(thanks)
What if only a thin layer of oil pastel has been used, is not possible to pass on the soap and water phase?
I wouldn't. That helps remove loose oil pastel, check for insufficient application, and helps cut down on the potential for color transfer (which was important to you).
Why are you afraid of the soap and water part? You need it at the start to remove the protective powder before applying the oil pastel, and at the end to make sure it is properly applied and safe. Then just pat dry and let it breathe for a while before re-applying protective powder.
Unless you accidentally buy water-soluble oil pastels (they do exist), you should be fine.
Given how much hesitation you are having with this, it might be helpful if you have a "ruined" body to experiment with, or one that you covers up a lot and you will never need for anything else, so you can experiment on the obscured part of it.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

479Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 21 Feb 2023 - 12:33

ukshaun

GubernatorFan wrote:
I wouldn't. That helps remove loose oil pastel, check for insufficient application, and helps cut down on the potential for color transfer (which was important to you).
Why are you afraid of the soap and water part? You need it at the start to remove the protective powder before applying the oil pastel, and at the end to make sure it is properly applied and safe. Then just pat dry and let it breathe for a while before re-applying protective powder.
Unless you accidentally buy water-soluble oil pastels (they do exist), you should be fine.
Given how much hesitation you are having with this, it might be helpful if you have a "ruined" body to experiment with, or one that you covers up a lot and you will never need for anything else, so you can experiment on the obscured part of it.

I will try the washing off (seeing how much sticks) and re_applying method.
How many times on average do you apply and wash off?

480Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 21 Feb 2023 - 12:47

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:
As long as it is not water-soluble oil pastel, if you did your rubbing in job sufficiently well (still, be gentle), you should not need much repetition with the washing off. Maybe twice or thrice, on average, as far as I recall. Theoretically, you could get it perfect the first time, and then need only one wash. Do pat dry between washing and reapplication of oil pastel (likewise, before powder).

481Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 21 Feb 2023 - 13:05

ukshaun

ukshaun
GubernatorFan wrote:
ukshaun wrote:
As long as it is not water-soluble oil pastel, if you did your rubbing in job sufficiently well (still, be gentle), you should not need much repetition with the washing off. Maybe twice or thrice, on average, as far as I recall. Theoretically, you could get it perfect the first time, and then need only one wash. Do pat dry between washing and reapplication of oil pastel (likewise, before powder).

(thanks)
What powder do you use?

482Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 21 Feb 2023 - 14:29

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
What powder do you use?
You're welcome.
I use the one linked below (keep in mind, photographing with a flash would show it), but I've been told baby powder and corn starch also work.
https://www.amazon.com/NYX-Professional-Makeup-Finishing-Translucent/dp/B009GLQG6Q

483Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat 12 Aug 2023 - 9:02

Ovy

Ovy
Don't know where else to put it, just a WIP snapshot comparing three s47b s next to each other under
unforgiving lamplight.

The grey in the middle is the base color,
white haired one has pink, rose and a bit brown Pastel powders and wash on it,
the blonde has several layers of two browns.

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 IMG-20230801-194117-2-edited

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 IMG-20230801-201816-2-edited

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 IMG-20230801-201831-2-edited

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 IMG-20230801-201836-2-edited

484Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat 12 Aug 2023 - 11:27

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
They look good. Were both of the bodies painted with pastel powder?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 1f10

485Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat 12 Aug 2023 - 15:17

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done, as usual, Ovy. Very subtle interaction of the colors. I remain a little confused over exactly how permanent this solution is.

486Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 13 Aug 2023 - 0:22

BAMComix

BAMComix
They look amazing Ovy! when you say wash, are we talking about citadel washes?

487Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 13 Aug 2023 - 0:51

Valiarde

Valiarde
These look indeed very realistic. Interesting option Smile

488Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 13 Aug 2023 - 1:23

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Nice results!

From what Ovy said before, it's a chalk pastel wash, just water and the crushed pastel. Some people use a drop of soap in it to help it break the surface tension and apply more easily to the body. I have not tried this method myself but seen it used enough that I would like to try sometime.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

489Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 7:12

Esganado

skywalkersaga wrote:Nice results!

From what Ovy said before, it's a chalk pastel wash, just water and the crushed pastel. Some people use a drop of soap in it to help it break the surface tension and apply more easily to the body. I have not tried this method myself but seen it used enough that I would like to try sometime.

Hello!
I'm new here.
Just bough a JIAOU ys body and after that found this wonderful forum and learned the body I'm waiting for will probably be too clear for what I want, if indeed JIAOU pictures are misleading.
I have lots of chalk pastel at home for I collect BJD's for a long time. When you jay a drop of soap, you mean it, to mix with the crushed pastel? Is it hand soap or dish soap? I believe something transparent will work better?
I just bought shoe cream in brown blue and clear, but would rather work with a material I've used for years (chalk pastels) any advice.
I'm sorry I don't have the body yet.

490Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 13:26

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Esganado wrote:Hello!
I'm new here.
Just bough a JIAOU ys body and after that found this wonderful forum and learned the body I'm waiting for will probably be too clear for what I want, if indeed JIAOU pictures are misleading.
I have lots of chalk pastel at home for I collect BJD's for a long time. When you jay a drop of soap, you mean it, to mix with the crushed pastel? Is it hand soap or dish soap? I believe something transparent will work better?
I just bought shoe cream in brown blue and clear, but would rather work with a material I've used for years (chalk pastels) any advice.
I think someone mentioned dish soap, but I'm not experienced with this method. Understandably, a liquid soap would mix easier with the water and pastel particles. I am more comfortable with actual oil pastels, but then again Jiaou TPE is (or has been) quite delicate, and this might be gentler on it.

491Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 14:23

Esganado

GubernatorFan wrote:
Esganado wrote:Hello!
I'm new here.
I think someone mentioned dish soap, but I'm not experienced with this method. Understandably, a liquid soap would mix easier with the water and pastel particles. I am more comfortable with actual oil pastels, but then again Jiaou TPE is (or has been) quite delicate, and this might be gentler on it.

Thank you! I'm very curious to see how (in every way) it will be Very Happy

492Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sun 5 Nov 2023 - 15:26

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, I don't recommend oil pastels on the Jiaou, they caused tears in mine when I tried it. The chalk/soft pastel should hopefully be better.

493Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Tue 7 Nov 2023 - 10:50

Esganado

skywalkersaga wrote:Yes, I don't recommend oil pastels on the Jiaou, they caused tears in mine when I tried it. The chalk/soft pastel should hopefully be better.

Thank you very much. I'd be upset ruining my first seamless body.

494Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 1:48

Esganado

I'm hopping to receive the body today.
I've been thinking, have anybody tried using some oil with the pastels, instead of soap?
From your experience would that be better or worse than soap?
And if somebody did, what kind of oil used? A mineral like johnson's for babies or a vegetable oil?

Thank you and sorry if I'm being a pain.

495Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 4:36

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Esganado wrote:

I've been thinking, have anybody tried using some oil with the pastels, instead of soap?
And if somebody did, what kind of oil used? A mineral like johnson's for babies or a vegetable oil?

Thank  you and sorry if I'm being a pain.

Actually, I remembered a thread from a while ago. I would caution against using any kind of harsh soap on Jiaou body.

See here (scroll down the to soap discussion):

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2186-nsfw-jiaou-3-0-european-body-color-review?highlight=jiaou

Perhaps you should try to just use powdered pastels or powdered pigments and brush them onto the Jiaou body with a makeup brush.

The way you'd go about it would be to remove the powder that the Jiaou doll comes with by just gently rinsing in cold water. Allow to air dry (DO NOT rub with paper towel!). Then apply the powdered chalk pastels with a makeup brush. Then just gently rinse once again in plain cold water. Once again, allow to air dry. See how much colour remains. If it needs more, just keep repeating.

This might be a safer method with the delicate Jiaou skin.

496Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 5:29

Esganado

skywalkersaga wrote:
Esganado wrote:

Thank  you and sorry if I'm being a pain.

Actually, I remembered a thread from a while ago. I would caution against using any kind of harsh soap on Jiaou body.

See here (scroll down the to soap discussion):

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2186-nsfw-jiaou-3-0-european-body-color-review?highlight=jiaou

Perhaps you should try to just use powdered pastels or powdered pigments and brush them onto the Jiaou body with a makeup brush.

The way you'd go about it would be to remove the powder that the Jiaou doll comes with by just gently rinsing in cold water. Allow to air dry (DO NOT rub with paper towel!). Then apply the powdered chalk pastels with a makeup brush. Then just gently rinse once again in plain cold water. Once again, allow to air dry. See how much colour remains. If it needs more, just keep repeating.

This might be a safer method with the delicate Jiaou skin.

Thank you, so much!
I was a bit worried soap might be too harsh to leave in the body.
Now, MerylAkiba used Mineral oil to reduce the pealing. I wonder if it would be doable using it with the chalk pastels and if it would protect the TPE. I'm afraid though. Very Happy
There is a thread about using people makeup. That's pigment with oils. I have to read it again. I don't remember the longevity and results from that shadding.

497Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 6:40

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, I wish I could advise better but I only tried to colour a Jiaou one time (with oil pastels) and it was a disaster. I never tried again. Not to scare you, just to say, all I can advise is 'be careful'!

498Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 9:39

Esganado

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aliera/53322762253/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aliera/53321701157/in/dateposted-public/

It's here!
I was afraid this body would be too light in shade but I actually like it and could live with the diference to the head. But I'm not so sure about size. Doesn't the head look small to the body? How can I know a head size prior to buying?
I bought a female head because I thought not only it would be lighter and fit better on the neck but also because I wanted a not bearded long haired head. I'd have to change somethings to make it more masculine. But I think it's too small? My previous experience is BJDs maybe that's influencing me? I'd like some opinions.
For all that it is a female head the color is not too off and it even seems to have some five-o-clock shadow.

499Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 10:45

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Esganado -- what character or type of character are you wanting to make? Do you want to make a male character, or do you prefer it to be more gender ambiguous? just want to make sure I understand what you are going for with your final result before giving suggestions.

If you are coming from BJDs, you're probably more used to male heads that are 'pretty' and more androgynous, whereas those are a bit harder to come by in the action figure world, since a lot of male action figure headsculpts are modeled after recognisable actors or are intended for military or comic book 'hypermasculine' characters. That being said, there *are* some male heads that look pretty but still recognisably masculine. It will depend on how realistic you want it to be, or whether you want a more stylised /anime look. I can try to make some suggestions once I know more what you are after.

(If you already explained what you are making, my apologies, I'm getting somewhat confused hopping between threads. Razz )

500Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 11:13

Esganado

You see the character with the longish blond hair? He's a bard called Ridondo. That's what I'm  aiming at.
The Conan like character with him is Kull. I'll try to make him afterwards. I'm thinking of using a M34 tbl body for him.
They were/are my favorite characters from Robert E.  Howard.
Not doable with BJDs but I was very glad to find the thin JIAOU  body to have a Ridondo next to my future Kull. I didn't find a Kull head yet. But he's not Conan. I don't want Arnold Schwarzenegger head. I was looking at bald resin heads  at Aliexpress that could work for Ridondo but nothing for Kull yet, except maybe Kaneshiro with the real hair. Any sugestions?

501Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 11:15

Esganado

Humm the pictures didn't upload...Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 24762210
Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Images10

502Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Fri 10 Nov 2023 - 11:55

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
For Ridondo, since he’s fully clothed, I would use a WorldBox body — no need to go seamless. For Kull, I would think any handsome head sculpt would work that you could add hair to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 1f10

503Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat 11 Nov 2023 - 1:18

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hard to tell from the image, but I looked up a few more, and nothing suggests to me that a female head is the way to go for Ridondo. And, indeed, such a head would tend to be undersized for the body. Look for Mr Toys Barbarian (He-Man) or TBLeague / Phicen Alexander the Great heads on eBay or wherever, they both have long blond locks of hair. Or you can give long blond hair to other heads that you shave or are bald, like the Matt Damon from Elysium.
Kull was played by Kevin Sorbo in a movie, so that could be a way to go, unless it doesn't work for you visually; unfortunately, the only Kevin Sorbo action figure I can think of is Dylan Hunt from Andromeda, and that is not very realistic by current standards.
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166402004361

504Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) - Page 20 Empty Re: Painting seamless bodies (NSFW?) Sat 11 Nov 2023 - 3:06

Esganado

GubernatorFan wrote:Hard to tell from the image, but I looked up a few more, and nothing suggests to me that a female head is the way to go for Ridondo. And, indeed, such a head would tend to be undersized for the body. Look for Mr Toys Barbarian (He-Man) or TBLeague / Phicen Alexander the Great heads on eBay or wherever, they both have long blond locks of hair. Or you can give long blond hair to other heads that you shave or are bald, like the Matt Damon from Elysium.
Kull was played by Kevin Sorbo in a movie, so that could be a way to go, unless it doesn't work for you visually; unfortunately, the only Kevin Sorbo action figure I can think of is Dylan Hunt from Andromeda, and that is not very realistic by current standards.
Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166402004361

Thank you!
I really don't like the size of the head in the body, and was thinking that size was what I would have.
So female heads are smaller in action figures?
I wouldn´t mind Kevin Sorbo if it was more realistic a Hercules like. Not that version Smile and I want real hair so maybe a bald head is the best for me.
I'm only sad, I'd bought a blond wig to change in the female head. well. I might make a girl someday.
Now jumping to look Mr Toys Barbarian and Alexander the great. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum