OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

21Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:27 am

Diana

Oh they look beautiful already. You added redness, right? That's not a trick of the light?
The skin of your Pocahontas looks a little grainy. Is that the paint or the print?
She's so pretty!! I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your own custom head sculpts!

... and I've ordered a the skin/face box of Vallejo colors, and a bottle of green (for my character's eyes). That should get me started nicely. Very Happy

22Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:27 pm

gooboo

Yes the redness is painted onto the face. The next layers of paint on top of that will be whatever skin tone the body I'll put the head on has. Hopefully that will mimic somewhat the way real-life skin is layered.

When I look at the headsculpt in-hand it has a slight texture to it, which I think makes it look kind of realistic and skin-like. I've noticed the camera that I use, however, tends to pick up a ton of details. It doesn't look nearly that grainy in person.

23Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:30 pm

Diana

gooboo wrote:Yes the redness is painted onto the face. The next layers of paint on top of that will be whatever skin tone the body I'll put the head on has. Hopefully that will mimic somewhat the way real-life skin is layered.

When I look at the headsculpt in-hand it has a slight texture to it, which I think makes it look kind of realistic and skin-like. I've noticed the camera that I use, however, tends to pick up a ton of details. It doesn't look nearly that grainy in person.
You're so right. I just saw this thread on my phone, with the picture at roughly the real size, and thy both looked even better and not at all grainy. Truly great work. <3

24Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I think they are coming along nicely, especially considering the challenges of doing this with oil paints.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

25Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:49 pm

gooboo

Close to being finished with these two heads.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head111

I need to paint the eyelashes and do a final layer on the lips, plus some gloss and I think this one will be done.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head211

Same here. I was able to get the skin tone to match a pale Phicen figure, whereas before it was a little yellow looking and didn't quite match either the Phicen pale or suntan skin tones.

26Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:44 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those look awesome! Great job! I’m especially impressed with how you did the eyelid area — excellent attention to detail.

27Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:29 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Worked out very nicely.

28Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent work.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 C8485110

29Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:08 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Nice work, they look like real people. I like how you used the red/pink around the eyes, nose and cheeks. I am sure they will turn out great.

30Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:05 pm

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
stunning work so far. especially with the combination of essential skills is where a 3d printer shines. personally i couldn't model a 3d sculpt for the life of me and painting headsculpts, well lets say its ok for rotting zombies Wink.
as for "smoothing" a model, "meshlab" has a function that increases the polygon count of any model, thus upping the smoothness of the surface( butterfly subdivision amongst others)
best regards

31Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:50 pm

gooboo

I could keep nitpicking at these two, but I think they're done.

This one was originally a Kumik head that didn't really match either the pale or suntan bodies, so I repainted it to be pale.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head112

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head212

This is using the same hair that it originally came with.

Here's the final dark skinned headsculpt, and dyed body to go with it. This one is using a Kumik wig I bought from ebay.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head311

The body was a little more reddish a week ago, and the color had faded somewhat from the figure so that hands and feet don't quite match anymore.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Bodyhe10

I think my first custom headsculpt turned out alright, I just wish there wasn't so much uncertainty involved with the final color in regards to dyeing Phicen bodies. Now I just have to design and sew an entirely new outfit for this character...

Here's what I'm working on next. I'm doing three more headsculpts but this time I'm going to glue hair onto them. Keeping in mind how long the last two sculpts took, I did most of the painting in acrylics, and the finer details and final layer I'll do in oils. I'm not a fan of how quickly acrylics dry- I don't like to be rushed doing the details, and I can't blend as smoothly.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Heads110

While I've ordered some mohair that I liked off of ebay, I didn't look at where the seller was and it turns out it's coming from Belarus, so I have no idea when that will get here. I bought a smaller batch from someone here in the US, so maybe next week I can start gluing hair onto one of these.

32Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
They all look pretty good. The one with the body looks Native American. Love the African American sculpt— any interest in doing another one for me...? I need a Black female head sculpt for a project I’ve been attempting to gather parts for.

33Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:59 pm

gooboo

I've been thinking about dipping my toes into doing custom headsculpts if these three go well, so we'll see how that turns out.

34Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:00 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those are all stunning! Awesome work!

And regarding the acrylics... that's fair enough if they aren't your thing. Though with the Vallejo acrylics, I do sometimes use what is called a glaze medium which keeps the paint wet for quite a long time. Not as long as oils obviously, but it does at least delay the drying time. Despite the name, it dries completely 'matte' as well.

Hope your mohair arrives soon. Is it actual mohair, or is it tibetan lamb hair? For the tibetan lamb hair, US sellers I've used before are MoreZMore on ebay and FantasyDolls on Etsy.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

35Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:08 pm

gooboo

The one from the US is Tibetan lamb hair, the one from Belarus is angoran goat hair.

36Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:08 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah ok!

37Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:24 pm

gooboo

What brand is the glazing medium you're using with the acrylic paints?

38Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I use Vallejo model acrylics, and the glaze medium is the same brand:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Color-Glaze-Medium/dp/B000PHBES0/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=vallejo+glaze+medium&qid=1586813632&sr=8-1

39Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:54 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think they look pretty great. "The one with the body" looks a little Indian to me, maybe. If the bodies keep changing skin tone on you, perhaps it is time to consider oil pastel instead of dye?

40Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:28 pm

gooboo

This was after my most recent dyeing attempt- the body appears to have stopped fading now, but I got too impatient and painted the hands and feet before the color stabilized.

41Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:14 pm

gooboo

Finally got some time to do a little work on my personal projects.

I tried creating my own hair with some mohair for the first time. For my first attempt I just used a headsculpt I had already bought, I don't remember the brand. Overall I thought it was pretty successful, although the top part where the head separates could have been better. There's too much glue in some places and the hair doesn't quite separate the way I wanted it to.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Custom12

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Custom11

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Custom13

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Custom15

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Custom16

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Custom14

I created a full scalp for the sculpt using some super sculpey, which I baked then glued to the top of the head like with these headsculpts I plan on doing.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Wiphea10

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Wiphea11

I painted them with a layer of acrylics over the top to sort of match the skin, but after finishing the first one I don't think that was necessary. Here's some custom headsculpts I've done in various states of completedness-

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Wiphea13

42Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:57 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They all look to be coming along great.

43Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:35 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
Fantastic Work and great Skills in Painting. You choose a Head that looks like in every Skintone real authentic. Normaly there are some characteristics that some Races had like big Lips, Flat nose ect.

Please this is no racism. This is just for to sculpt the Head of typicial race.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Images11
Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Main-q10
Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Unname10

my favorite is this one. That´s a masterpiece.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head2110

The Hair Job is Fantastic to. She looks like a real person in the last pictures.

If You like to do a very special HS and it´s possible for You with the 3d printer, do it without the Eyes and use real glass ones. Could be a authentic reflection by Photograpie.

44Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:13 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stunning work , gooboo!

45Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That hair job looks pretty good, and nice work on the head sculpts. By the way, the brand of that first one is Kimi Toys (I wonder whatever happened to them...?)

46Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:10 pm

gooboo

Been working on some more head and hair stuff.

I redid the hair on the Kimi toys head I showed earlier. That one was my first attempt and there were some things I didn't like about it, this one turned out a little better I think.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair110

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair210

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair310

Here's one I redid of my favorite Super Duck head. I'm not that crazy about this one because the hair gets kind of frazzled when it's dry, (but maybe that's realistic? My hairline is receding so I wouldn't know, lol) I've been thinking about turning it into a fantasy style ponytail or something.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair410

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair510

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair610

This is the head from Lucifer's Wings of Dawn. I didn't like the symbol on her forehead, so I removed all of the paint with acetone and redid it, as well as giving her new hair. She kind of looks like the actress who plays Aragorn's girlfriend in the LOTR films? I don't remember her name. I really love how the hair turned out on this one, though. It's a test run of the hairstyle I want to use on my black/african headsculpt.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair710

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair810

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Hair910

Comparison to the original Lucifer sculpt-

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Headco10

I'm in the process of repainting and rehairing this headsculpt from Cowpen toys. The picture is a little blurry. I was really excited to get this headsculpt at first because I thought it was pretty and I like the kind of fantasy style ponytail twist she had, but when I got the sculpt in hand I realized the color didn't match any Phicen bodies at all. It was like a sun-burnt red color, and you couldn't tell from the promo photos at all. I think that was when I first learned you couldn't take for granted what promo photos show for head sculpts with these toy companies. She's going to match the Phicen suntan color when I'm done painting her.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head312

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Promo10

I basically finished painting these two, just need to put some gloss on the eyes, and maybe a few nitpicks here and there. Waiting to get more practice hairing other headsculpts before trying out hairing my own custom sculpts.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head113

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Head213

47Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:37 pm

gooboo

Forgot to add, I finally got my Sinful Suzi body in the mail a week or so ago. Painted some hands and feet white to match. I think I'll make something like an albino elf sorceress character, but I need to make a headsculpt in 3d and have it printed first.

Also, is this the same body as the Kier and Gethsemoni figures? It's a really pretty figure, and I hope Phicen makes a general release of the body sometime soon.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Suzi110

48Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:25 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Work is coming along nicely. Your latest hair jobs look pretty good.

49Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice re-hairing and re-painting. Your redone Lucifer looks so much better than the original to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum