OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

61Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:14 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Very nice work repainting and rehairing, despite the hurdles (I myself had an unpleasant experience with Dullcote or similar products and have given up on them -- but you seem to have managed in the end).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

62Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:08 am

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Nice work on both, and the hair work is exceptional. Might I suggest getting a gloss enamel and adding a bit to the eyes to help bring back that shine.

63Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:44 pm

gooboo

Finally got some more time for my 1/6 projects. I tried out casting in resin for the first time today, I made some headsculpts with some earlier test molds and also made a few neck pegs.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Resin10

I used a urethane resin from Smooth On. I picked urethane instead of epoxy resin for its faster drying time, but it came with some setbacks. Because of the moisture sensitivity of urethane I got little bubbles underneath the surface of the headsculpts. Once I tried putting a layer of paint on the sculpt it wasn't a problem, but I think I'll go with epoxy resin next once I've used up all of the urethane resin I have now. A pressure pot is supposed to fix the problem but since I'm doing all my resin stuff outside (my apartment doesn't have suitable ventilation) I'm not going to be able to use one.

The resin also turned out to be much stiffer than I anticipated. For the heads this isn't a problem but the neck pegs required some carving with an x-acto on the inside to get them to fit on the metal peg. Smooth On makes an additive that makes epoxy resin more flexible, which is another reason I'm going to try epoxy resin next. Ultimately I'd like to try my hand at making a custom armature out of a strong resin, since casting/forging stainless steel is out of the question for me.

64Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:50 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Sounds like a cool experiment. I thought about getting into casting, but a pressure pot and motor are out of my comfort zone.

65Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:56 pm

gooboo

I ended up getting a vacuum chamber and pump for my eventual custom silicone bodies, but urethane resin needs a compressor. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I also don't want to spend money on one.

66Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:13 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
cool

67Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:58 am

gooboo

Got around to testing out an epoxy resin. This one worked great- no bubbles at all, feels pretty strong and sturdy.

I decided to try re casting a TBLeague head I liked, except for the fact that I felt it was too small. I enlarged the size a little bit, though it might be hard to tell from the photos, and changed her ears and was pretty satisfied with the result. Looks much better when placed on a s46/47. I don't know why many of TBLeague's recent head sculpts are too small, or at least they seem that way to me.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Heads112

68Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:59 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very impressive results.

69Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:46 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
This looks very good. I love the more subtle elf ears.

70Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:57 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Good job at getting rid of those 'keebler elf' ears, I found them too distracting. The face itself is nice and looks better with the modified ears.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

71Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:18 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice job. Looks very promising.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 C8485110

72Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:01 am

Diana

Diana
That head looks beautiful! How did you increase it in size? If it was a digital 3D file I'd understand, but with a mold... Suspect
I can only think of
- creating a mold
- casting it
- adding material to the cast
- creating another mold
- casting it.

cyclops

73Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 am

gooboo

You can dunk the mold into some solvent for a time and it will absorb it and expand. It's not a perfect process as it doesn't always expand evenly across the face, but for the elf head it seemed to work perfectly this time.

74Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:11 am

Diana

Diana
gooboo wrote:You can dunk the mold into some solvent for a time and it will absorb it and expand. It's not a perfect process as it doesn't always expand evenly across the face, but for the elf head it seemed to work perfectly this time.
Ah! I thought it might be that, remembering shovelchop's Boba Fett process, but couldn't imagine it being exact enough. Thank you very much for the clarification. Very exciting! Very Happy

75Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon May 22, 2023 12:28 am

gooboo

It's been awhile since I've posted anything in here, and I just realized I never showed any of the work I was doing with my new 3d printer. I got it back in December and have been printing off custom headsculpts and other things. I started working on a series of black female headsculpts, since there's basically none available to buy from any of the major toy makers.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Head_b11

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Head_b10

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Head_b14

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Head_b15

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Head_b13

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Headsp10

3d printing has been a lot of fun. Really opens up possibilities in terms of custom figure making.

76Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon May 22, 2023 2:13 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice

77Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon May 22, 2023 2:25 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
She looks very good, both with normal and elf ears.

78Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon May 22, 2023 4:22 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Great work on the 3D-printed heads! Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 1f60d

79Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon May 22, 2023 5:43 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those look great!

80Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Mon May 22, 2023 1:50 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Really good looking head sculpts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 1f10

81Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Tue May 23, 2023 1:37 am

gooboo

I have these sculpts available for sale if anyone is interested in painting their own headsculpts. They're not super expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/georgedwilliams?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

82Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:32 pm

gooboo

Trying my hand at an alien gal.

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Twi110

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Twi210

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Twi310

The skull is a little too small, need to make it a bit larger.

83Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:14 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Pretty cool. I agree, a bit larger would be good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 1f10

84Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:12 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice work!

85Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:24 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looks nice. Perhaps a smaller body might help.

86Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:37 am

Diana

Diana
NICE! I saw these on ebay already and immediately recognized the signature style. Wink

They are all really nice! I'll have to get one one day, once I actually lift a single finger to actually repaint one of the 10 or so heads I already have lined up. What a Face

87Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:45 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
gooboo, will you have the twi'lek head for sale on ebay too? I would really like to have one of those. Smile

88Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:33 am

gooboo

Yes, it's for sale on ebay.

89Gooboo's WIP stuff thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Gooboo's WIP stuff thread Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:28 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
gooboo wrote:Yes, it's for sale on ebay.

Ah thanks!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum