OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chemistry Question: Super Glue & TBL figures

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1/6Novice

First off, I often try logging in to this site about 20 times...And it doesn't let me log in until the 21st try...That's one reason I post so rarely.

Anyway... I have no idea what TBLeague figures are made of. I've heard various places that they're made of Silicone, TPE (Whatever that is), and other materials ... I'd like to know if super glue (Gorilla Glue) will have any negative reactions with the soft fleshy part of TBL bodies...

confused  confused  confused

The reason I ask is because I was trying to put a pair of stockings on a S39, but they kept bunching up between the  Ankle (metal ball and the socket), and the "fleshy" part of the legs, above the ankle connection, kept pulling up.

So I had the idea to glue the flexible fleshy part to the metal skeleton, with Gorilla Glue.

It really helped me get the stockings on perfectly, but will I eventually regret doing this???

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
I don't think it will have negative reactions. I've never tried it myself though.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
The only thing I would say is that it could eventually cause the ‘flesh’ to crack at the joints, because it would have less give.

If you are having trouble with stockings, an easier ( and safer!) solution would be to wrap the legs in cling film (plastic wrap), and then they should slide on just fine. Once the stockings are on, then remove the plastic wrap by pulling it out from underneath. Hopefully that method works so you don’t have to do anything drastic! : )

1/6Novice

skywalkersaga wrote:The only thing I would say is that it  could eventually cause the ‘flesh’ to crack at the joints, because it would have less give.

If you are having trouble with stockings, an easier ( and safer!) solution would be to wrap the legs in cling film (plastic wrap), and then they should slide on just fine. Once the stockings are on, then remove the plastic wrap by pulling it out from underneath. Hopefully that method works so you don’t have to do anything drastic! : )

I hope it won't crack/rip, these things are expensive.

And I tried the cling film/wrap first. it really doesn't work (for me at least).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
1/6Novice wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:The only thing I would say is that it  could eventually cause the ‘flesh’ to crack at the joints, because it would have less give.

And I tried the cling film/wrap first. it really doesn't work (for me at least).

The potential issue with the glue is just a guess, but I feel that the silicone is somewhat 'loose' on the steel skeleton for a reason ... it does need that little bit of give, I imagine. If it were me, I would not take the risk of supergluing the flesh to the skeleton.

And sorry that the cling film didn't work for you. The body you are using is one of the curviest ones out there, so I'm guessing it's a bit more difficult than usual even to get it dressed. Are the feet currently attached? I ask because usually I find that pulling leggings over the plastic feet helps to slide them over the ankles and onto the legs.

The other issue I could see is that maybe the stockings aren't large enough or stretched widely enough to fully clear the ankle, and thus are causing it to pull up/bunch up a bit.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Although they originally advertised these bodies as having a silicone surface, it has since been confirmed (by someone at TBLeague) as TPE. I don't know if it would work, cure, or cause damage. There is oil in the material, it is somewhat porous (at a micro level), etc. I'm somewhat skeptical. Here is a thread I found by googling TPE and super glue -- from some other forum. Haven't read all of it, but take a look and research further -- I assume no responsibility for the information.

https://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73501&view=print

Good luck.

PS - I don't know what might be causing your log in problems, as long as you know your password. Is there some sort of interference by your internet security or ad blocker software (although I have both and haven't had a problem).

1/6Novice

skywalkersaga wrote:
1/6Novice wrote:

The potential issue with the glue is just a guess, but I feel that the silicone is somewhat 'loose' on the steel skeleton for a reason ... it does need that little bit of give, I imagine. If it were me, I would not take the risk of supergluing the flesh to the skeleton.

And sorry that the cling film didn't work for you. The body you are using is one of the curviest ones out there, so I'm guessing it's a bit more difficult than usual even to get it dressed. Are the feet currently attached? I ask because usually I find that pulling leggings over the plastic feet helps to slide them over the ankles and onto the legs.

The other issue I could see is that maybe the stockings aren't large enough or stretched widely enough to fully clear the ankle, and thus are causing it to pull up/bunch up a bit.
Yes,The stockings are large/stretchy enough. I attached some (altered) S27 feet. And I tried it with the BIG S39 feet as well, the stockings fit the legs, but I still had trouble with both sets of feet (27 & 39). In the end one stocking did rip at the seam, I guess from putting in/pulling out, the 39 feet...
GubernatorFan wrote:Although they originally advertised these bodies as having a silicone surface, it has since been confirmed (by someone at TBLeague) as TPE. I don't know if it would work, cure, or cause damage. There is oil in the material, it is somewhat porous (at a micro level), etc. I'm somewhat skeptical. Here is a thread I found by googling TPE and super glue -- from some other forum. Haven't read all of it, but take a look and research further -- I assume no responsibility for the information.

https://dollforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73501&view=print

Good luck.

PS - I don't know what might be causing your log in problems, as long as you know your password. Is there some sort of interference by your internet security or ad blocker software (although I have both and haven't had a problem).
Thanks for the link, I'll read it soon.

As for the login trouble, it's working now. I don't think it's my Security program, but I often do get warnings about attacks being blocked when I visit this site...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
1/6Novice wrote:As for the login trouble, it's working now. I don't think it's my Security program, but I often do get warnings about attacks being blocked when I visit this site...

I'm glad it is working. Sometimes passwords can be a pain to type in right. Or maybe it is some sort of defender issue. The site has ads, and sometimes fairly innocent nuisances like this would show up as blocked items, depending on your settings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum