OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Randam Hajile

davidd wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:... but I can’t help but feel the TOS is getting the short end of the stick.

Much as it pains me to suggest this, I think the original Star Trek has "aged out" of the pop-culture consciousness. It's been fifty-two years since the original series went off the air. Yes, it's been running in syndicated reruns ever since, but how many years has it been now since kids would race home from school to watch shows on after-school TV like I did? It's been a decade or more since streaming, DVDs, and video games took over from watching TV; more like twenty or thirty years, if you factor in video games. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone under the age of 50 (I'm being generous; I believe the real number would be closer to 60) who names TOS as their favorite Star Trek franchise or who can name even the three main characters. In fact, it would not surprise me if most people under the age of mid-40s have never even seen an original series episode.

Even the Next Gen fans are getting older, but they're probably still at the tail end of their collecting years, and at the peak of their earnings years. I won't hold my breath when it comes to too many more Next Gen figs, though. Picard has had the most staying power of all those characters, even meriting a spin-off series a few years back. Which other Next Gen character would you release if it were your company? Not which one do you like or would you like to see, but which one do you think would sell enough to be worthwhile? How much of  a market is out there for Dr. Crusher, or Guinan, or Wesley?

Very interesting thoughts, Davidd. I agree that TOS is not really having a great resonance with younger audiences anymore despite frequent reruns. That said, the long lifetime of TOS in comparison to other scifi series is still remarkable. So, one cannot really complain that much about it. Generally, I feel that the scifi/space opera genre is not doing too well at the moment. The new Star Trek series (Discovery/Picard/Lower Decks) seem to damage the franchise more than to rejuvenate it. I think the lifetime of these new series in pop-culture consciousness will likely not exceed a few years -- and that is damn good, as they completely dropped the typical pondering about ethical dilemmas in favor of popular morality and fashionable ideology (sorry to fans, just my opinion).

Despite being a huge fan of TOS, Next Generation and Voyager, I have not bought any 1:6 figures and likely won't go for any in the future. I really cannot tell why Star Trek merchandise has little appeal to me...

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Very interesting and I think reasonable analysis, Davidd and Randam. It certainly resonates with me, as TOS is just a little too early, age-wise and exposure-wise, for me to have seen all of it or be attached to it. In a way, Star Trek for me was the Next Generation, simply by happenstance. I have seen most of the movies, old, medium, and new.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Valiarde

Interesting discussion. I can say that I've never really watched any series on TV as a kid/teen. Only when streaming became a thing and I could time it as i liked series became interesting to me. 

So I missed all of Star Trek except some of the movies and the one episode here or there.

That said, nice to see some figures of this genre here. It is a rare thing between all the Star Wars and Marvel things

79Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:40 am

Theboo-bomb

The details on Koloth are amazing.

DJ

DJ
koloth wrote:Excellent work! Both of them look very good. Your Koloth character is great. Where you able to make a holster for the disrupter?

Thanks, DJ. I haven't made a holster yet. It wouldn't be a big deal anyway to build it. [/quote]

My dear Captain Koloth. Your fantastic work reminded me of another great Trek maker in 1/6 scale that of disappeared from updates a few years back. Have you or anyone for that matter ever heard of Deering Productions? Check out the site which does not seem active anymore.

https://www.deeringproductions.com/ncctrek/NCCtreksplash.htm

He did comic book like photo shoots ("The Adventures of Karl Butcher) and did a whole line of all custom original Trek items including a 1/6 scale bridge that could be taken down in sections for travel and a 1/6 scale shuttle craft. He used to do the shows like Joelanta, but I have not seen him active in a while and wondered what happened to him.

koloth

koloth
DJ wrote:
koloth wrote:Excellent work! Both of them look very good. Your Koloth character is great. Where you able to make a holster for the disrupter?

Thanks, DJ. I haven't made a holster yet. It wouldn't be a big deal anyway to build it.

My dear Captain Koloth. Your fantastic work reminded me of another great Trek maker in 1/6 scale that of disappeared from updates a few years back. Have you or anyone for that matter ever heard of Deering Productions? Check out the site which does not seem active anymore.

https://www.deeringproductions.com/ncctrek/NCCtreksplash.htm

He did comic book like photo shoots ("The Adventures of Karl Butcher) and did a whole line of all custom original Trek items including a 1/6 scale bridge that could be taken down in sections for travel and a 1/6 scale shuttle craft. He used to do the shows like Joelanta, but I have not seen him active in a while and wondered what happened to him.[/quote]

Dear DJ,  
I totally agree with you, Deering productions were doing a great job, the bridge, the episodes, great stuff, although to me their crew figures were far inferior to those Nanjin Tam was doing for QMx.
Unfortunately there is only very few people doing such kind of things, building and kit bashing TOS.
I'd love to build the bridge one day, but first I need to build the turbo lift, then the Emergeny manual monitor room or the Galileo interior.

There is another guy using QMx figures and a bridge built by an English gentleman. He also makes nice little stories...
at facebook    @bantambellatorum

82Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Deep Space Station K7 Transporter Device Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:51 am

koloth

koloth
Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Img_1357-jpg

83Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:11 pm

Diana

Diana
Oh no I LOVE IT! Ugh! Makes me want to start collecting the classic Star Trek crew. Ugh!
Ridiculously cool. If I fail to resist future releases of these characters I'll blame you. Wink

koloth

koloth
Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Img_1359-002-jpg
Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Img_1381-jpg

davidd

davidd
I agree with Diana above, this is ridiculously cool. Take me back to the days of my younger youth when I scrutinized the arcane blueprints in the original Star Trek Technical Manual and noticed small "emergency transporters" inserted in various places around the ship.

I love the patterns of the lenses you used for the transporter pads. They look impressively authentic.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is very retro cool. Nice transporter display.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 C8485110

Valiarde

Valiarde
Nice figures! Star Trek really is hardly seen in 1/6 so this is nice for a change, even though I was never really into it.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Fantastic work!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done and presented.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That transporter looks mighty fine, great work.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 1f60e

91Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Transporter malfunction? Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:45 pm

koloth

koloth
Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318530552_504790944941824_9134797727946775851_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=m5tq70ZuJkQAX_P0mel&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318556091_504791091608476_6984046086929212914_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=y1cerVsxh3oAX-I_aul&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318438513_504791214941797_2297473732134006158_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p552x414&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=f493C-GOszsAX_FzhC5&tn=QqndQnQ_eojegT4F&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318757639_504791351608450_1898447037257990396_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p552x414&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=2d1ziEk9IyYAX_T9Rtw&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318551113_504791441608441_6470438905004623418_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=xDPSNdbkbBsAX8LhHWl&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318522837_504791561608429_2863131170464515140_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=uRsNNaYhpnsAX9M7Tpm&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318475458_504791681608417_4773170786459871415_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=RD99N9MKH2cAX9T01FK&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 318775960_505575754863343_2964322307163050661_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p843x403&_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=utyiHsQSVWAAX_Kt2H-&_nc_ht=scontent-ber1-1

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ha! Very fun. I like how you did the transporter effect. I was lucky enough to grab all of the QMX figures, but I’m hoping to replace them all with the upgraded Exo-6 versions.

koloth

koloth
Stryker2011 wrote:Ha! Very fun. I like how you did the transporter effect. I was lucky enough to grab all of the QMX figures, but I’m hoping to replace them all with the upgraded Exo-6 versions.

Judging from MSulu it'd be quite possible that the new Exo-6 figures will be better than the QMx ones. I am speaking of TOS, of course.

94Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:17 pm

davidd

davidd
Marvelous transporter room and transporter effect!
Mirror Sulu looks like he will fit right in with the gang! Being a bit more expressive, he might be better able to participate as an equal among the Big Three.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great addition to the crew! Nice looking figure too!

96Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:14 pm

Diana

Diana
Yay! The band is getting back together! Very Happy
Beautiful sequence and I always enjoy that diorama.

koloth

koloth
Thank y’all!
I’m working on an another - big - diorama and a small one (med bed in the medical and fitness area of McCoy’s sick bay).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Please, please tell me you’re making the TOS Bridge?

99Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:08 pm

koloth

koloth
Sorry to disappoint you , it is the Auxiliary Control Room.

100Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Nice one, really like your little dios. And you bringing some other themes to the board. I was into Star Trek and just know some chars from media, but still like looking at your stuff. 
The warp effect is cool

101Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
koloth wrote:Sorry to disappoint you , it is the Auxiliary Control Room.

That’ll still be cool. A true 1/6 scale bridge would be massive — no doubt bigger than any vehicle made thus far.

102Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:45 am

koloth

koloth
I guess Nanjin Tam of Exo-6 once stated that he might produce bridge components. That‘s also a reason why I do not intend to do the bridge.

103Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Sickbay Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:05 pm

koloth

koloth
Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Img_8810

Work in progress.

104Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures - Page 4 Empty Re: Star Trek TOS Custom 1/6 Action Figures Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice work. I'm surprised he still has his shirt one. Smile Sorry, Galaxy Quest humor.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum