OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you guys deal with display space?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How do you guys deal with display space? Empty How do you guys deal with display space? Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Kitsune1000

Kitsune1000
I just got in this hobby this Summer when I wanted a scale Final Fantasy 7 Tifa and saw the Superduck Tifa set. I went and bought it just thinking this would be my only 1/6th , little did I know I was jumping down huge 1/6 Scale collecting hole. A few months later I now have 6 Detolf's and still think I don't have enough space.

How to do guys deal with this issue. I would like to buy more figures, but my largest problem is where do I put them?

I don't want to over stuff my displays as I'd like to pose and add dabbling now into Dioramas. Do you guys rotate your displays and put items in storage, Just stack them tight together in museum poses? Buy a new house?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Welcome to our world, and our woes. I can't really advise on display space as I don't really have one. From what I have seen, however, you might want to find a balance between your Detolfs being too empty and too crowded -- too empty may result in a clinical, somewhat boring look; too crowded may get too distracting and in the way of seeing or appreciating some of the figures. You may also want to find a middle ground between posing your figures too neutrally or too extremely. If you have more than one figure in a compartment, it may also make sense to give them some interaction with each other.
One easy step in the direction of providing an environment would be to use printed backdrops (check out El Bundy's thread, for example). You can make them yourself and have them printed in the desired size, or a number of sellers on eBay already have some designed for Detolf shelves. For example:
battlegroundsgames
and
geekwishlists

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I’m only a few months ahead of you, so my wallet feels your wallet’s pain.   I don’t maintain a display either.  Everything is in storage bins.   By the time all of the planets had aligned, I was so used to not having a display that I no longer wanted one.

If I DID have a display, I would probably keep a few of my absolute favorites in permanently, rotate in the new, and rotate out the old.  If I got something new like the upcoming Super Duck Cloud, and I had already moved Tifa out, I’d put her back in along with him.  Maybe I would keep a shelf for rotating themes.  Like video game characters, military, sword and sorcery, superheroes, etc.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Indeed, welcome to the everlasting struggle! I've been into 1/6 scale since 2018 and I still don't have my display area completed yet. No

Right now, I have everything in some form of storage -- with the loose pieces, I have them in plastic boxes, while things like Hot Toys and my completed customs are on their stands 'on display' inside closed storage cupboards. Until I figure out a better set-up, that's how they will stay. When I want to photograph them, I take them downstairs to my conservatory/studio/sunroom where there's a lot of natural light, do a photoshoot, and then put them back in the storage cupboards.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I really don't have anything displayed outside of three to four figures I rotate, too much of a hassle for me, specially keeping them dust free and what not, plus I have very limited space to set up any displays up so those figures are usually hanging around my desk.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! How do you guys deal with display space? 1f60e

shazzdan

shazzdan
You don't need a dedicated display area. With some lateral thinking you can set up a display anywhere. One of my favourites is from Dario on OSW. He set up a Christmas display around his computer monitor on his workstation. Despite all the detail he kept it clear enough to let him keep using it for work.

How do you guys deal with display space? EMuW5tH

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Kitsune1000 wrote:I don't want to over stuff my displays as I'd like to pose and add dabbling now into Dioramas.    Do you guys rotate your displays and put items in storage,  Just stack them tight together in museum poses?  Buy a new house?

This hobby is definitely a rabbit hole. To answer your questions:

1. I rotate figures out. I have at least 40 full figures in plastic bags inside plastic tubs. (Extra accessories are in their own plastic bags — labeled for what character they belong to — and those are in boxes).

2. What is still in display are a mix of loose groupings, and some tight groupings. The Marvel figures are too many to just have in loose groupings, though that would be ideal. I have posed many of them how I like, and then leave them partially loose so as to be viewed nicely.

3. I did buy a new house four years ago that had a decent size (what I turned into a) Man-Cave — sadly, due to all my other crap, I am also running out of room for more figures, though I have at least 40-50 POs in, and more to come I’m sure, which just means more figures will get rotated out of the cabinets. Aside from boxed figures, I’ve taken a lot of the kitbashed figures down — many of them TBLeague/Phicen (one can only look at so many near naked men and women before it just becomes boring).

4. Dioramas are fun, but check out theboo-bomb and Lynkhart’s threads to see how to use one or two existing “sets” for the same thing. Using “breakaway” panels that can be stored flat is also another way to go, or as GubernatorFan suggested, photo backdrops. I have one massive diorama that required a cabinet be built, but that will be my one and only permanent display as I don’t have room for more, though I would like to do some Old West themed stuff (that may just end up being photo backgrounds). Sadly, I live in the Midwest of the United States, so doing outdoor shoots becomes tricky — unless I plan to have my “Old West” figures be located in the Upper Northwest during The Gold Rush Era, which my neck of the woods could certainly fill in for. Outdoor photography brings its own set of challenges for me, as I’m not exactly in an area conducive to not only privacy, but also the ability to haul a ton of stuff around to make it even slightly feasible.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

How do you guys deal with display space? C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Dan, that was brilliant, thanks for sharing it.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
My original plan was:
Work more
Make more money
Buy bigger house.

That plan has been abandoned, as I am maxed out on “work more”.

My new plan:

I can build as many sheds as I want, under 144 sq/ft, without the taxes going up.

Time to plan for builds that size! Lol!

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
That’s really cool idea when you think about it. Outside climate controlled display rooms!

Diana

Diana
I actually have very limited space in my place, so I have three Ikea Besta units, each 60cm wide, and that's it. They can't really fit any more figures, so I'm starting to consider selling some. If I can't display it, then it might as well find a new home. That way I know I'm really only keeping what's important.
I really don't want my collection to grow bigger that what I can put on display.

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
well, even with an entire room dedicated to my figures i'm way over capacity at the moment and switched to a smaller scale for the time being. i don't enjoy my figures without a diorama but at the same time i'm stretched over far to many different themes and topics. most of my backdrops i build modular from styrodur sheets so i can pick them appart and store them vertically in my basement when i'm no longer in the mood. a lesson learned to late after 3 or 4 backdrops build with "real" materials, making them unwieldy and weighting a ton.
as a rule of thumbs if i didn't look at it for half a year i pick it apart and make room for the next diorama.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Tjolnir wrote:as a rule of thumbs if i didn't look at it for half a year i pick it apart and make room for the next diorama.

This is actually a really good strategy.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

How do you guys deal with display space? C8485110

SithDarkLordDFC

SithDarkLordDFC
I don't deal with display space.  I deal with storage space.

How do you guys deal with display space? 410

~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

How do you guys deal with display space? 23116610

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum