OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Randam Hajile

Great work on the re-hairing of "Not Red Sonja". She looks gorgeous. I really need to learn this technique, as I always search (and hardly find) suitable hair pieces for custom figures...

skywalkersaga

I keep meaning to do a tutorial on my process for re-hairing, but then I always forget to take progress photos. I'll try to remember next time...

Stryker2011

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:I keep meaning to do a tutorial on my process for re-hairing, but then I always forget to take progress photos. I'll try to remember next time...

Yes. Please.

Ovy

skywalkersaga wrote:She's absolutely stunning! I like her torc. And I'm so happy to see the lamb hair put to such great use. :')

And ah, thanks for explaining about your African dude. Maybe he is a lone survivor of a now-lost tribe...
Thanks a lot! Yeah sometimes materials sit there for a long time until one gets to use them.
The torc I borrowed from my niece, it's some cheap necklace pendant. Some bendable alloy.
I think piercings could would work too as torcs.

GubernatorFan wrote:She does look beautiful. What a difference such "small" alterations make. In the last photo she reminds me a bit of Milla Jovovich in The 5th Element.
Thanks a lot. Btw my first head I rehaired was a Milla as you might remember.

Stryker2011 wrote:Wow! You did a fantastic job hairing that head sculpt. She’s beautiful. I never would have been able to pick out the original source if you hadn’t provided that link to Giantoy.
Thanks! Yeah I might have preferred the determined expression of the promo paintjob, apart from the toning and texture I think the eyebrows were a bit lower there also. But it worked out.

csyeung wrote:Yea definitely looks way different from the prototype. I really like your version though. i also like the paint touchups along with the stunning hair.
Thanks a lot, yeah I added a layer of freckling and the panda eyes to cover up those printed on eye lashes I never liked. There will be datk red warpaint.

davidd wrote:Superb re-root!
Zhanks!

BAMComix wrote:excellent work on all the customs Ovy! So imaginative and clever, the silver faced creation is my fave bounce . Getting back though to the focus of this thread, Your Red Sonia is superb, fantastic re-root and re-imagining, love it!
Thanks, yeah really need to get to work on the silver people again. But I think it's good they had a break, now that I learned more about armor and clothing I might use better techniques with better results than I would have in 2019.
Oh and it's -Not- Red Sonja. :p

Diana wrote:She looks gorgeous! I have that head, too, and it's good to see that it can be salvaged. You really brought out the best in her. Great job hair and makeup! Smile
Haha, thanks. Yeah I think every headsculpt can be saved or at least completely changed with a makeover.
Did you post your version of the head somewhere already? I suspect it also doesn't look like the promo?

Illusion wrote:as already said elsewhere, another amazing lady.
This hair colour is gorgeous and the overall composition looks great. I am sure your additional work on her face will bring out her unique character. I already love her as she is right now.
Thanks, yes a lot of the composition of the hair strands etc. is to cover the gaps on the forehead, it's always a bit of a trade between what you actually try to build and what's possible due to limitations in the sculpt. But yes the most important work is done, although I was thinking about some braids.

Diana wrote:She actually reminds me of Shirley Manson, so I looked for pictures. See it? Smile

The shade of red is different and her makeup would need to be a little different, but I remember someone looking for a sculpt, though it was supposed to be open mouthed singing... Still: This thread shows that this head could be used as a basis, which is in no way intended to reduce the level of gorgeousness achieved by Ovy's choices of course. Smile

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 Svlixl4a5cd01
Haha, I faintly remember someone having looked for a sculpt. I think the headsculpt has a very universal/neutral to serious look, so it fits many persons depending on the modifications.

Randam Hajile wrote:Great work on the re-hairing of "Not Red Sonja". She looks gorgeous. I really need to learn this technique, as I always search (and hardly find) suitable hair pieces for custom figures...
Thanks a lot! And I am pretty sure you can pull it off. I always find the start easier than the finish, As you begin in rows and later have to make more decisions of how to finish become more precise. The good thing is you can always remove the hair and start again, which I did once (With Roqi/Lady Liberta)
I have quite the amount of lamb hair that will last for many figures, so if you need any I could send you some.
I only called her 'Not Red Sonja' because someone was reminded of her haha. But she will have scale/lamellar armor too some day, but wearing in a more efficient and practical way.

skywalkersaga wrote:I keep meaning to do a tutorial on my process for re-hairing, but then I always forget to take progress photos. I'll try to remember next time...
Nice, that would be helpful. And I think we also have collected quite some data on rehairing in this forum and the question of 'how to' popped up several times. A lot of knowledge is scattered throughout multiple threads. I think we could make a thread in the tutorial section and put everything that has already been posted and will be posted in there, in the spirit of the great knowledge sorting project Diana started.

Here are two additional pics.

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 IMG-20221130-020258

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 IMG-20221130-020421

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very lovely. An interesting way to cover her up.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Yes, I remember your modification of a Milla, and I realized this was not a Milla, but the look reminded me of that character. So Not Red Sonja... maybe Auburn Sigrid? Smile
Simple as it seems, the wrapped look is very striking.

Diana

Diana
Ovy wrote:Haha, thanks. Yeah I think every headsculpt can be saved or at least completely changed with a makeover.
Did you post your version of the head somewhere already? I suspect it also doesn't look like the promo?

Yes, I posted pictures here: https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3707-new-product-1-6-ziltoys-z001-jill-female-head-sculpt#58802

I was trying to focus on the positive at the time but she just lost her appeal altogether over time. She will definitely get a makeover. Even more so now, after seeing your achievements. I still very much like that she suits the petite bodies in terms of size.

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Very lovely. An interesting way to cover her up.
Thanks a lot! Yeah it's thin elastic fabric, falling rather well. It's probably the fabric her shirt will be made of.

GubernatorFan wrote:Yes, I remember your modification of a Milla, and I realized this was not a Milla, but the look reminded me of that character. So Not Red Sonja... maybe Auburn Sigrid? Smile
Thanks! Nah she probably is from a place were her hair colour is so common she doesn't have to make it a part of her name/personality. But I would go in the direction of fire if it was the case.

I haven't decided for a name yet, but of all the ones I imagined and constructed I like these three the most:
Narooqi
Narjooka
Venaryutti

Diana wrote:
Ovy wrote:Haha, thanks. Yeah I think every headsculpt can be saved or at least completely changed with a makeover.

Yes, I posted pictures here: https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3707-new-product-1-6-ziltoys-z001-jill-female-head-sculpt#58802

I was trying to focus on the positive at the time but she just lost her appeal altogether over time. She will definitely get a makeover. Even more so now, after seeing your achievements. I still very much like that she suits the petite bodies in terms of size.
Ah I remember the thread, but never saw the pictures later. How young and naive some of us where, and how good some of the predictions turned out to be.

Yeah the head was lost in the head box for a while for me too. I only got her out of the box for a commission that had to be tailored onto a s16 body, and this sculpt was the only one that looked light enough. So after the commission was done, she quit her modeling job and shaved her head to become a warrior.

I try to have a pic in every post, so here is a teaser of a new character examining the Forbici Giganti/Tijeras Gigantes.
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 PSX-20221130-195214

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

davidd

davidd
lol! Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I vote Narjooka. And the Forbici Giganti teaser was very cool.

Illusion

Illusion

I am joining the crowd of „yes please“

GubernatorFan wrote:… Auburn Sigrid? Smile

auburn Sigrid… Laughing , it does indeed

she also has some Evangeline Lilly vibes as this red haired elf in The Hobbit…
but I can totally see a suitable Shirley Manson too.

Ovy wrote:

I try to have a pic in every post, so here is a teaser of a new character examining the Forbici Giganti/Tijeras Gigantes.

ah, I would have thought she was about to trim her finger nails… Embarassed

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ovy wrote:
Nice, that would be helpful. And I think we also have collected quite some data on rehairing in this forum and the question of 'how to' popped up several times. A lot of knowledge is scattered throughout multiple threads. I think we could make a thread in the tutorial section and put everything that has already been posted and will be posted in there, in the spirit of the great knowledge sorting project Diana started.

Ah, good idea. Yes, would probably be helpful for people to have a thread dedicated to various re-hairing techniques. Similar to how there is that huge long thread about 'painting seamless bodies' with all sorts of different experiments in there.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Diana

Diana
OOoh! Already excited for that new character in the teaser, which works really nicely. The blonde hair, the bell sleeves... That whole composition feels really natural. Smile

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I absolutely love your world and characters, so having a lore thread for them is absolutely ideal!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
She's looking great thus far, and I wonder what sort of weapon will be made from the claw.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
As I said my projects are all over the place. I made these armor parts last month already, but there is still work to do and I don't know if I can find the time to finish the character this year, so here some WIPs:

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 PSX-20221120-215900

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 PSX-20221120-215946

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 PSX-20221120-220129

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 PSX-20221120-220721

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 2 PSX-20221120-220402

I might photograph them before in better settings for the weapon chamber thread first.

Stryker2011 wrote:Cool. Looking forward to seeing more of her.
Thanks. Yeah I have to sort some pics and finish the story, hope to get it done this year.

davidd wrote:lol!  Wink
Wink

GubernatorFan wrote:I vote Narjooka. And the Forbici Giganti teaser was very cool.
Yeah Narjooka would have been my pick to, so project name Narjooka it is.

Illusion wrote:

I am joining the crowd of „yes please“

GubernatorFan wrote:… Auburn Sigrid? Smile

auburn Sigrid… Laughing , it does indeed

she also has some Evangeline Lilly vibes as this red haired elf in The Hobbit…
but I can totally see a suitable Shirley Manson too.

Ovy wrote:

ah, I would have thought she was about to trim her finger nails… Embarassed
Btw I am thinking if I should replace her actual fingernails with actual shiny sanded shellpieces?🤔 The dangerous gel nails of Post-History.

skywalkersaga wrote:
Ovy wrote:

Ah, good idea. Yes, would probably be helpful for people to have a thread dedicated to various re-hairing techniques. Similar to how there is that huge long thread about 'painting seamless bodies' with all sorts of different experiments in there.
Yeah as I said, so much knowledge buried here! I think it might help new people just googling for tips too.

Diana wrote:OOoh! Already excited for that new character in the teaser, which works really nicely. The blonde hair, the bell sleeves... That whole composition feels really natural. Smile
Thanks a lot! Yeah it's a minimalist character in a way, but at the same time not. You will have to wait a bit still haha.

Lynkhart wrote:I absolutely love your world and characters, so having a lore thread for them is absolutely ideal!
Thanks a lot! Yeah can only recommend having a 'base thread' to every customizer here.

Theboo-bomb wrote:She's looking great thus far, and I wonder what sort of weapon will be made from the claw.
Thanks! The claw I found in Norway on a beach. Might be from a shrimp even.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
WOW! Some great ideas and results on this one page alone! I used shoe/boot tacks a lot for leather armour, not sure if that's helpful or not lol! Love the result of the scratch built custom real red hair with the undercut!! HS looks great too.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Brilliant work Ovy,

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm glad we agree. And great progress with the cloth-covered armor, which is an interesting concept with some historical parallels (except I think they kept the cloth part removable).

Valiarde

Valiarde
Aaah the blue knight! A work of art, you nailed it Smile - really liking his armor and the head is also one of my favourites.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, what dedicated and detailed work!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is brilliant! Excellent work.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I'm glad we agree. And great progress with the cloth-covered armor, which is an interesting concept with some historical parallels (except I think they kept the cloth part removable).

Not if it was a brigandine Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:
Wouldn't you need to be able to remove it and clean/oil the armor?

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:
Wouldn't you need to be able to remove it and clean/oil the armor?

The fabric is considered part of the armour, that's a good point though, I guess they'd rinse the whole thing together to get rid of the worst of it then coat the metal in grease, perhaps dark coloured materials were preferable?

I now see Shad from YT has his own line of brigandine and he's super fussy about accuracy.

brigandine examples

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks dear people!

Yeah it's one solid breastplate covered in elastic fabric what's supposed to be some kind of velvet, will try to get some better pics in the evening. Here it's nails but they are supposed to be rivets that can be removed to change the fabric. I mean the fabric won't only get dirty, but also torn and slashed, so it really should be changeable.
The segmented faulds/skirt would be flexible in reality, but I was too lazy and now it's just a solid piece made of several segments. It causes some problems in sitting poses.

Any links to the armor you made out of shoe tack, Mr Shovelchop?

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Ovy wrote:Thanks dear people!

Yeah it's one solid breastplate covered in elastic fabric what's supposed to be some kind of velvet, will try to get some better pics in the evening. Here it's nails but they are supposed to be rivets that can be removed to change the fabric. I mean the fabric won't only get dirty, but also torn and slashed, so it really should be changeable.
The segmented faulds/skirt would be flexible in reality, but I was too lazy and now it's just a solid piece made of several segments. It causes some problems in sitting poses.

Any links to the armor you made out of shoe tack, Mr Shovelchop?

Nothing exciting maate, just some gladiator and Conan armour stuff I made years ago.

ElBundy

ElBundy
Sorry, I haven't noticed your re-rooted headsculpt yet. You really created a beauty. Bravo!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum