OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

shovelchop81

GubernatorFan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:
Not if it was a brigandine Wink
Wouldn't you need to be able to remove it and clean/oil the armor?

The fabric is considered part of the armour, that's a good point though, I guess they'd rinse the whole thing together to get rid of the worst of it then coat the metal in grease, perhaps dark coloured materials were preferable?

I now see Shad from YT has his own line of brigandine and he's super fussy about accuracy.

brigandine examples

Ovy

Thanks dear people!

Yeah it's one solid breastplate covered in elastic fabric what's supposed to be some kind of velvet, will try to get some better pics in the evening. Here it's nails but they are supposed to be rivets that can be removed to change the fabric. I mean the fabric won't only get dirty, but also torn and slashed, so it really should be changeable.
The segmented faulds/skirt would be flexible in reality, but I was too lazy and now it's just a solid piece made of several segments. It causes some problems in sitting poses.

Any links to the armor you made out of shoe tack, Mr Shovelchop?

shovelchop81

Ovy wrote:Thanks dear people!

Yeah it's one solid breastplate covered in elastic fabric what's supposed to be some kind of velvet, will try to get some better pics in the evening. Here it's nails but they are supposed to be rivets that can be removed to change the fabric. I mean the fabric won't only get dirty, but also torn and slashed, so it really should be changeable.
The segmented faulds/skirt would be flexible in reality, but I was too lazy and now it's just a solid piece made of several segments. It causes some problems in sitting poses.

Any links to the armor you made out of shoe tack, Mr Shovelchop?

Nothing exciting maate, just some gladiator and Conan armour stuff I made years ago.

ElBundy

Sorry, I haven't noticed your re-rooted headsculpt yet. You really created a beauty. Bravo!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That armor is looking great, and you even managed to get the grain (does cloth have grain?) of the fabric to be so perfect.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks dear people!

First figure this year will be a WH40k figure.

So I needed several purity seals. I used 3d files of several iconic symbols like skulls and fleurs and aquilas and inverted them, then 3d printed tiny little seal stamps. Might have been easier to print seals directly but I preferred a unique organic look for the seals.
Made little balls of apoxy and pressed the stamps in.
Will probably only need a quarter. But it's often that I overproduce stuff.

I mounted the stamps on old chess figures. ( I overproduce stuff sometimes so I had some lying around. )
I scribbled little prayers and litanies onto thin paper and cut them out.
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230122-061211

Used several reds for a waxy appearance.
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230122-061345

Sorted by icon
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230122-061454

Yeah here they are, finished. i think will use some removable double sided glue strips to attach them to the figure.
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230122-061620

Some of them. Maybe ten.
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230122-061711

Skulls are trendy in 41st millenia.
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230122-061848

BAMComix

BAMComix
Those look awesome Ovy! Top work, can't wait to see his one progress!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I have no idea what this is -- Warhammer? -- but you definitely made the seals convincing and they work great with their charter-like thingies (spells?) handing from them -- in real life the charters would have been large and the seals would have hung from them, but I seem to recall this type of thing from that Jihad Pontifex set from last year. Whatever it is, you're doing it very well, and that's no surprise.

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:I have no idea what this is -- Warhammer? -- but you definitely made the seals convincing and they work great with their charter-like thingies (spells?) handing from them -- in real life the charters would have been large and the seals would have hung from them, but I seem to recall this type of thing from that Jihad Pontifex set from last year. Whatever it is, you're doing it very well, and that's no surprise.

Warhammer & Warhammer 40K are desktop roll playing games my friend. What Ovy is building here I believe is a space marine for the space campaign, Human's most advanced and dedicated fighters to the all powerful emperor!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Home;jsessionid=CA8845081A30CC9A23F3EA6A09B042F1

A company has also recently started making 1/18 scale versions too.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Warhammer & Warhammer 40K are desktop roll playing games my friend. What Ovy is building here I believe is a space marine for the space campaign, Human's most advanced and dedicated fighters to the all powerful emperor!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Home;jsessionid=CA8845081A30CC9A23F3EA6A09B042F1

Thanks for explaining, Dal. My guess was based on some comments from Simon (I think) regarding the appearance of the set I mentioned. Glad I made the right connection.

BAMComix

BAMComix
GubernatorFan wrote:
BAMComix wrote:Warhammer & Warhammer 40K are desktop roll playing games my friend. What Ovy is building here I believe is a space marine for the space campaign, Human's most advanced and dedicated fighters to the all powerful emperor!

Thanks for explaining, Dal. My guess was based on some comments from Simon (I think) regarding the appearance of the set I mentioned. Glad I made the right connection.

Yeah, you were spot on Ian bounce . Always happy to help, if I can Very Happy .

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Holy cow! Those look great — really looking forward to seeing this fellow come together. You’re off to a great start.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 C8485110

Valiarde

Valiarde
Now that is a nice production run! At first I thought you used real wax here but putty is far more resilient.

You even made up your own language to write a love story on the scrolls. Neat. Okay maybe not, but making the first letter super big and the little drawn symbol at the end is a great touch

Now we are waiting for the first time on the armor/outfit of a person... Smile

Ovy

Ovy
Some progress, and weathered them a bit as purity seals never look pure but worn and damaged.

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230125-224057

Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 PSX-20230125-224406

BAMComix wrote:Those look awesome Ovy! Top work, can't wait to see his one progress!
Thanks a lot!

BAMComix wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:I have no idea what this is -- Warhammer? -- but you definitely made the seals convincing and they work great with their charter-like thingies (spells?) handing from them -- in real life the charters would have been large and the seals would have hung from them, but I seem to recall this type of thing from that Jihad Pontifex set from last year. Whatever it is, you're doing it very well, and that's no surprise.

Warhammer & Warhammer 40K are desktop roll playing games my friend. What Ovy is building here I believe is a space marine for the space campaign, Human's most advanced and dedicated fighters to the all powerful emperor!

Thanks, yeah on the Jihad Pontifex thread I dropped a link about purity seals. Those were regular Warhammer Fantasy purity seals though, these are Warhammer 40k SciFiFantasy ones. https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Purity_seal
And no I don't make a Space Marine, it's just a simple man of faith surviving in the dark depths of a gigantic Megacity, far away from any glory of the mighy Space Marines who might never set a foot on his planet. I got a smaller McFarlane Space Marine figure (about 1/12?) some time ago and painted it, but I don't think I ever posted it here.

Stryker2011 wrote:Holy cow! Those look great — really looking forward to seeing this fellow come together. You’re off to a great start.
Thanks sir!

Valiarde wrote:Now that is a nice production run! At first I thought you used real wax here but putty is far more resilient.

You even made up your own language to write a love story on the scrolls. Neat. Okay maybe not, but making the first letter super big and the little drawn symbol at the end is a great touch

Now we are waiting for the first time on the armor/outfit of a person... Smile
Thanks, yeah was thinking about using real wax but then I didn't. The big letter trick I learned when painting these on the tiny tabletop figures.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It might get tiresome to you, Ovy, to hear how awesome you are in your endeavors. Smile But I'll say it anyway. You're awesome. They were already exquisite, but now they are even more convincing.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yes, indeed. Nicely done.

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Yes, indeed. Nicely done.
Thanks Sir!

GubernatorFan wrote:It might get tiresome to you, Ovy, to hear how awesome you are in your endeavors. Smile But I'll say it anyway. You're awesome. They were already exquisite, but now they are even more convincing.
Thanks! Nah it's never tiresome. Speaking of tiresome, you (and Stryker) don't have to feel obligated to comment every tiny picture of progress I post. But if you like to do that, that's fine and continue!  Very Happy

And yes I hope I will get the matching character up here some time in the future.

Oh and I started cutting out some square character portraits out of my favourite pictures recently and put them in a collage. Planning to get a portait of every character in the first post and maybe make a collage of all characters I have, here the first 16.
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 Collage2

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Thanks! Nah it's never tiresome. Speaking of tiresome, you (and Stryker) don't have to feel obligated to comment every tiny picture of progress I post. But if you like to do that, that's fine and continue!  Very Happy
The characters collage looks excellent, and it's a nice idea to be reminded of them side by side.

I don't feel obliged to comment on your posts -- they lend themselves naturally to it. They tend to always appeal to me or at the very least teach me something new or impress me with your skill and technique. Moreover, you are a model citizen of this forum, both in your own contributions and your care for and interaction with others, and it is only appropriate to show one's natural appreciation of this.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
WOW, Ovy, that portrait collection is absolutely stunning. And so impressive, especially knowing how much artistry went into each figure. Each portrait captures something special.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent portrait montage.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Love the image Ovy! I did the same thing years back with my favourite Action man/Joe figures,

Valiarde

Valiarde
Neat idea and great to see so many of your chars in an overview pic. Bonuspoint for everyone who could name them all with correct spelling without looking on the first page of this thread. Smile

I once thought of making biopics of my chars, with name, alignment, faction, age etc. Now that iam talking about it, wasnt there someone doing just that on here? With dimitri and some other chars? Long time no see...

Or we could play a game: choose your favourite char from each row

BAMComix

BAMComix
Valiarde wrote:Or we could play a game: choose your favourite char from each row

That would be a tough choice, so many great characters!

Diana

Diana
Love the collage! What an amazing set of characters! I'm most drawn to the portrait of Nayhadija (Yes, I did look it up. Razz).

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those seals are great, though I don't have much experience with 40k outside of some of the video games I've played... mostly on the Waaaagh! side.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 IMG-20230205-085127-3

GubernatorFan wrote:
Ovy wrote:Thanks! Nah it's never tiresome. Speaking of tiresome, you (and Stryker) don't have to feel obligated to comment every tiny picture of progress I post. But if you like to do that, that's fine and continue!  Very Happy
The characters collage looks excellent, and it's a nice idea to be reminded of them side by side.

I don't feel obliged to comment on your posts -- they lend themselves naturally to it. They tend to always appeal to me or at the very least teach me something new or impress me with your skill and technique. Moreover, you are a model citizen of this forum, both in your own contributions and your care for and interaction with others, and it is only appropriate to show one's natural appreciation of this.
Thanks a lot, dear model gubernator.

skywalkersaga wrote:WOW, Ovy, that portrait collection is absolutely stunning. And so impressive, especially knowing how much artistry went into each figure. Each portrait captures something special.
Thanks a lot!

Stryker2011 wrote:Excellent portrait montage.
Thanks

BAMComix wrote:Love the image Ovy! I did the same thing years back with my favourite Action man/Joe figures,
Thanks a lot, you have a link?

Valiarde wrote:Neat idea and great to see so many of your chars in an overview pic. Bonuspoint for everyone who could name them all with correct spelling without looking on the first page of this thread. Smile

I once thought of making biopics of my chars, with name, alignment, faction, age etc. Now that iam talking about it, wasnt there someone doing just that on here? With dimitri and some other chars? Long time no see...

Or we could play a game: choose your favourite char from each row
Thanks, yes you mean sarahdactyl.

Diana wrote:Love the collage! What an amazing set of characters! I'm most drawn to the portrait of Nayhadija (Yes, I did look it up. Razz).
Thanks, yeah Nayhadjia was neglected a bit although I did some rework some time ago and some photos recently I hav to edit yet.

Theboo-bomb wrote:Those seals are great, though I don't have much experience with 40k outside of some of the video games I've played... mostly on the Waaaagh! side.
Tanks bomba-git!

BAMComix

BAMComix
Ovy wrote:
BAMComix wrote:Love the image Ovy! I did the same thing years back with my favourite Action man/Joe figures,
Thanks a lot, you have a link?

For Ovy

[img]Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 25089062820_7bc5cf1162_cSome of my Action Man & Joes by Dal Lee, on Flickr[/img]

BTW, the new shot looks so cool! It's really coming together now bounce

Valiarde

Valiarde
@Dal: Also very nice to see the characters like that Smile

Ovy wrote:Surfboard painting teaser - Ovy Random WIPs - Page 3 IMG-20230205-085127-3

Oh we are getting closer to the full character! Very nice equipment, presented in similar style as your viking woman weapons Smile  In style!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I'm getting darktide vibes from that shotgun, I wonder what the end figure will look like. The title also remind me of this.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum