OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Happy_10

March 30 marks the 5-year anniversary of OneSixthFigures.
I hope this space has been as welcoming, instructive, entertaining, and enjoyable to all of our members and visitors as it has been for me. And I hope it continues to be so for a long time to come. We have our 1:1 scale lives, concerns, and distractions, and our participation or presence may wax and wane, but we also share an ongoing interest building, developing, and sharing the miniature worlds of our collectibles and creations, and we come back here to do so.

We invite you to partake in marking this festive occasion, if you wish, by posting here any or all of the following:

• Your favorite sixth-scale figure or item purchased over the last 5 years

• Your favorite sixth-scale custom created over the last 5 years

• Your favorite new skill or technique acquired from this forum over the last 5 years

To keep the thread from becoming overloaded, please limit yourself to posting these in up to three (3) photos in a single post; if quoting someone else's post to comment, please exclude any images from the quoted material.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Congrats, and happy fifth anniversary to OSF! OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 263a OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 1f382  OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 1f389  OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 2728

Sharing our faves from the last five years is a great idea. I will have to come back later and do so once I have a moment to dig out the photos. Looking forward to seeing everyone's picks!

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Tumblr_phw6b4J2Fv1rb71hfo2_540

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

davidd

davidd
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 50553324892_0f9d18cfc5_z
Have a Slice of Cake

Vampi is probably my "favorite" action figure I've acquired within the last five years, because I remember seeing illustrations and advertisements for the character in my childhood. I never dared ask my parents to get me the Aurora Monster Scenes version of Vampi. Oh, how I would have loved to have the whole set, but I remember my mother saying those model kits were "too gruesome" when I asked if I could get the "Pendulum" or the "Dungeon" version. But now... now that I have my own spending money, I can revisit that imaginary world of wonder and terror with much better models and figures!

Valiarde

Valiarde
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 1f4a5  OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 1f386   Smile

CONGRATS to five fantastic years! Still love this board and the people here.

And I love your challenge. Will post later on this weekend.

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Wow, five years! And to think I have been here for about 3 of those. Where does the time go?

I saw this right away but needed some time to think through my response as having just gotten my new camera, the amount of photos I have has only increased  lol!

My favorite purchase is the Iconiq Ryu from Street Fighter V. Not only a truly fantastic release, but also a long time favorite character. *I will add a good photo later as I have yet to get to him*

My favorite skill is easily making dioramas. Yeah, that covers a lot of ground, but it is really hard to pin one down. If I had to try, probably how to use foam for a variety of things. This is where I first learned how (though I forget through who) and it has made dio making worlds easier.

My favorite favorite will shock absolutely no one who has seen my posts: Kasumi (from the Dead or Alive series of fighting games). Making her is why I even joined here in the first place! She was my first custom, and went from a truly rookie attempt at trying a new hobby to the standard-bearer for my customs. Lots of frustration, re-dos, very late nights and early mornings working on her. Since I have my new camera, here is my current desktop background in not close to full res glory (actual size is around 6900x4600):
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 10647_10

It has been an interesting and informative ride so far! To another 5 years and many more pre-orders and customs!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for sharing! I hope others will join in, too.... : )

I will hopefully post something soon, I just need to find the time to take a pic of one of the figures I have yet to photograph...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for playing, or preparing to play, guys (and gals). Smile I am preparing myself, though swamped with a big work project.

rootleaf

rootleaf
Before joining this forum, I had no idea you could customize your own 1/6 figure. I assumed I was at the mercy of the expensive Hot Toys offerings. I mean, I still love pre-made 1/6 but I get way more satisfaction out of searching for the right type body and accessories to make my own.

It began with a Hot Toys HulkBuster, Spider Verse Gwen and Miles:
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Fuji5010

Below: Latest purchase of Iconiq Studios Ryu between a custom Chun-Li and Custom Cammy:
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Fuji4410

Since joining this forum, I've become more adept at recognizing 1/6 body types and skin tones. I'm still not perfect at it but I continue to get better every day:
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Fuji4110

I am so grateful for this forum and the people who contribute to it every day. I appreciate each and every one of you for sharing your creations as I continue to be inspired to go and create my own.

Happy 5th anniversary!

ukshaun

ukshaun
Congratulations! hApPy 5th!

My favorite sixth-scale figure or item purchased over the last 5 years

hmm.. too many to think of.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Dsc00013
LOADING: Image(s)

John James Rambo Sixth Scale Figure: FIRST BLOOD Series by Sly Stallone Shop

I do not quite know why, but there is something special about this figure.
It seems very different to a Hot Toys figure.

-

..as for the other 2 favorites, i do not know? Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

ostfront43

ostfront43
Happy 5th birthday! I may not post very much, but I very much enjoy checking out all the great figures shown here by so many talented members!!

My some of my favorites:
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us I-r2LRTJk-S

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us I-TdxvtTz-S

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EVERYONE!!! Wild to think it's been 5 years already.

Your favorite sixth-scale figure or item purchased over the last 5 years

I would have to say the LIM Toys' "Gunslinger" has to be one of the coolest figures I've purchased (so much so that I bought 3 of them -- sadly for Arthur, none of them are going to be used as him, but for different versions of my West World mini-me).

Your favorite sixth-scale custom created over the last 5 years

I couldn't narrow it down to just 1, so I included all of the ones who really stand out for me at this time. Having Logan & Jessica from Logan's Run was a dream of mine for a VERY long time. My wife's mini-me from her book (still working on all the other characters) was also something I never thought I'd be able to achieve. Olga (and Timothy) from Hitman was such a boon (particularly with the stand-out custom-made clothing). And, of course, my West World mini-me using bit's and pieces from two figures.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us _dsc3926

Your favorite new skill or technique acquired from this forum over the last 5 years

There have been so many cool things I've learned from so many of our awesome members, such as dioramas/building techniques. But, one of the coolest has been all the different TBL body coloring techniques. (Bought some red shoe cream, but haven't worked up the courage to try that one yet -- though I really want a Darth Talon).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us C8485110

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EVERYONE!!! Wild to think it's been 5 years already.

Your favorite sixth-scale figure or item purchased over the last 5 years

I would have to say the LIM Toys' "Gunslinger" has to be one of the coolest figures I've purchased (so much so that I bought 3 of them -- sadly for Arthur, none of them are going to be used as him, but for different versions of my West World mini-me).

Your favorite sixth-scale custom created over the last 5 years

I couldn't narrow it down to just 1, so I included all of the ones who really stand out for me at this time. Having Logan & Jessica from Logan's Run was a dream of mine for a VERY long time. My wife's mini-me from her book (still working on all the other characters) was also something I never thought I'd be able to achieve. Olga (and Timothy) from Hitman was such a boon (particularly with the stand-out custom-made clothing). And, of course, my West World mini-me using bit's and pieces from two figures.

Your favorite new skill or technique acquired from this forum over the last 5 years

There have been so many cool things I've learned from so many of our awesome members, such as dioramas/building techniques. But, one of the coolest has been all the different TBL body coloring techniques. (Bought some red shoe cream, but haven't worked up the courage to try that one yet -- though I really want a Darth Talon).

If i could add that actual Olga to my collection, i would Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Awesome choices, Stryker. Those are some gorgeous and unique customs indeed!  I love you

I had hoped to be able to do a new photoshoot in time for this, but alas this week is an extremely busy one for me. I'm also in the midst of working on some 1/6 projects and I couldn't clear everything away to make room for photoshoots without risking messing up my progress. So I'll just have to re-use old pics (and some official HT ones)....

1) Your favorite sixth-scale figure or item purchased over the last 5 years:

My choices are all going to be pretty obvious, lol. I would have just picked the Hot Toys RotS Anakin since I still love him best, but I realised to my dismay that technically I purchased him longer than five years ago! Shocked So instead I went with the more recent Hot Toys Clone Wars Anakin figure. This one was an odd one for me as I wasn't actually that happy with it at first, but after making some modifications I warmed up to it a lot more. But overall it's my fave recent purchase simply because five years ago I'd never have thought there'd ever be an official 'realistic' version of TCW's 'General Skywalker', so he was a very pleasant surprise. :')

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Anakin-skywalker_star-wars_gallery_5f19fc14734bb

2) Your favorite sixth-scale custom created over the last 5 years:

Again, nothing surprising here.... I wish I could have finished some of the newer figures I'm working one in time for this, but I'll just go with the RotS Anakin and Padme 'grail' figures I completed back in 2020:

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Tumblr27

3) Your favorite new skill or technique acquired from this forum over the last 5 years:

Like others have said, thanks to this forum I've learned so many new skills. I can't say that I've necessarily mastered them, lol, but at least I have tried. Ultimately I chose re-hairing with tibetan lamb hair because it was incredibly intimidating to me when I first started out and was something I never thought I'd be able to do.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Tumblr29

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Tumblr25

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Tumblr26

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Tumblr28

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
OMG I didn't know I actually joined this forum so early stage.....just after a year you establish it....

Since I invested almost 10k in this hobby, my most satisfying characters has only around 6~7, or 1/3 of my money actually turns these things well,,,,, Embarassed What a Face

But it is ok, it is progressing, it becomes interesting, and I don't regret it.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Bike2_11

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Dscf8711

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Yeo_2110

these are my top 3 characters, which fulfill my requirements as "my beloved character" by not changing or altering any things or wear on them, especially my Jing Jing quiet, I love this outfit more than the game itself....

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Dscf2015

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Dscf3020

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Dsc00023

When I got deep into this field (during the pandemic), things started to get weird, because I certainly started to feel uncomfortable with some girl's head sculpts living in my cabinet, especially at night, since I bought the Terminator TX (Kristana Loken).....so at this point most of my works are dudes...but they look cool.....

But anyway all of my works your guys are always the first to witness, so I hope my work will continue to stimulate people, to know the extreme poses they can avoid, because I can break bodies Razz I got you covered so you don't need to break yours....and I hope this forum keeps going well, and celebrating another 5th anniversary

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

Visisonor

Visisonor
Similarly to @rootleaf, I've recently found myself more focused on kitbashing/customizing (though I continue getting pre-made figures too).

So this falls under "skill or technique" option and can be generalized as making figures look as close as possible to real life photos. Which, given that I am (self-)confined to 1/12 scale, is probably something I can only asymptotically approach and never truly achieve.
But I believe I've made some progress over the year since I joined, sorting through various accessories and outfits, finding things not looking too bulky and ways to conceal joints, etc.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Cnr_5531

I guess anyone who is even remotely into fashion will call this out as incompatible or inconsistent but at least to me it looks close enough to reality.

This is less of a concern with non-civilian outfits, however, as it can be more easily hand-waved with inherrent features of the setting these characters inhabit.
OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Cnr_5530

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
lawlaw - you always have great poses for your figures! And eep, I personally try not to think how much I've 'invested' in these over the years.... Laughing

Visisonor -- you do a seriously amazing job with the realism considering your chosen scale.  Really beautifully photographed!

Oh, and to GF I meant to ask.... was the spelling of the title an intentional pun, or a typo..... ? Either way, nice one.... Wink

ukshaun

ukshaun
@lawlaw91
The image of smoking female leaning against motorbike. Great pose!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Honestly, I haven't the foggiest idea how I could rank so much sixth-scale goodness to the point of having a hands down favorite in any of these categories. So I'm not going to even try.

I've loved so many of the products, customs, techniques, and photos members have shared on this forum over the years, and I have duly succumbed to temptation, made purchases, made customs, planned others, and so on. And still do. I like too many things, and rarely have the time or money to fully invest in them. I will single out, however, some techniques I have learned and have used to good effect:

1. Rehairing head sculpts was actually outside any forum, courtesy of Morezmore, but I confess I discovered it before our forum got started.
2. The technique of painting head sculpts in thin layers from very dark to light I owe to our discussions here, with the encouragement of Mark (Stryker2011) in particular; and I thank Skywalkersaga for telling me about Liquitex Matte Medium (better yet, they have Ultra Matte Medium!).
3. Green Stuff. Or Kneadatite. I have used it for anything from sculpting to filler to molds. Thanks, Ovy.
4. Last but certainly not least, I owe to our often absent but inimitable queen, Ephiane: the magic of coloring seamless TPE bodies with oil pastels; there are other techniques out there that have resulted in very impressive results, but this remains my favorite.

I am looking forward to learning more from our discussions; and I already have a number of other things I mean to try, following the advice of our members, from Valiarde's foamcore walls to Shovelchop's sturdy metal broken hip joint fix.

The photos are just some samples. Each has two or more custom elements derived, in one manner or another, from what I read and learned here.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Fap0110

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Fap0210

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Fap0310

Thank you all for "playing". Sky, what typo? There is no typo here... Smile (what was it they said about the Devil; the greatest trick he ever played was convince people he doesn't exist...)

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
LOL, GF! This isn't the typo you're looking for... ;p

You are right that the oil pastel technique is probably the biggest game-changer in terms of overall things learned from this forum (at least for those of us who desperately *need* multi-coloured skintones for our custom figures), and Ephiane must get the credit for sharing it with us here. Can't thank you enough, Ephiane! I love you

It would have been my top pick too, only that it was not necessarily a 'challenge' to learn for me in the same way that re-hairing was. I had to really step outside my comfort zone for that one and I still find it difficult, to be honest. But I force myself to do it anway...

And re GF's pics: I am not that into super hero stuff, but that is a great assemblage of Clark Kents!  OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 1f44d

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:LOL, GF! This isn't the typo you're looking for... ;p

You are right that the oil pastel technique is probably the biggest game-changer in terms of overall things learned from this forum (at least for those of us who desperately *need* multi-coloured skintones for our custom figures), and Ephiane must get the credit for sharing it with us here. Can't thank you enough, Ephiane! I love you

It would have been my top pick too, only that it was not necessarily a 'challenge' to learn for me in the same way that re-hairing was. I had to really step outside my comfort zone for that one and I still find it difficult, to be honest. But I force myself to do it anway...

And re GF's pics: I am not that into super hero stuff, but that is a great assemblage of Clark Kents!  OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us 1f44d
Well, thanks for pointing out the (potential) problem, Sky! Smile

Yes, rehairing is a big hurdle, but even decent results can make a world of difference. Some of my efforts have been better than others, but hopefully practice makes perfect. Yours -- the ones you've shared -- have always looked excellent to me.

As much as I mock the endless array of character variants (especially Iron Men), I have a few completed or potential different versions of characters. The one in the middle is all custom/kitbash (people had trouble guessing the head, but I think there likeness is in there, even with my remedial head painting skills). I even found a use for those evil TBLeague ankle extender thingies (which continue to be evil, and I did not use them exactly as intended). Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GF -- the middle one is the Dean Cain Clark from the 90s 'Lois and Clark', right?

(Funny anecdote....one of my teachers in middle school was his aunt!)

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
OK, bought figure in the last 5 years is easy: Hot Toys Battle Damaged Iron Man MK85 as it's a great figure (not perfect, I don't like the hair colour and it needs more BD on the back, that post hole on the base sucks too) which visually and emotionally in the correct pose depicts the really sad sacrifice Tony Stark makes for the universe by dying as he clicks his fingers to restore all the lives Thanos had turned to ash. It also represents the pinnacle of the  movie MCU as everything afterwards without Iron Man just feels shallower.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us TuN0XmI

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Xl83plo

Favourite custom figure? Okay I'm going to cheat here and say all my LOTR/The Hobbit stuff.

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us MEaeD36

and Ovy's amazing plate armour! Well his armour and weapons in general to be honest!

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Wacht10_edited

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Dolch02-edited

As for a new technique? I have to be cheeky again and use something I came up with (I'm sure others have done this too but I've just never seen it is all) and that's using spray on rubber paint! Great for flexible materials that can't be painted or coloured any other way. I used it for the first time on my Cthulhu figure which is made mostly of rubber coated parts with wire etc..

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us Sn6N6UK

OneSixthFigures' FIFTH ANNIVERSARY is upon us JAI4PZq

I hope this doesn't come across as too egotistical but I do live in my own little weird world!! pirat

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:GF -- the middle one is the Dean Cain Clark from the 90s 'Lois and Clark', right?

(Funny anecdote....one of my teachers in middle school was his aunt!)

Yes, exactly. And that's very neat. Was she a super-teacher? Smile

Shovelchop, picking up examples from your own experience was very much intended, so no need to apologize.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:

Shovelchop, picking up examples from your own experience was very much intended, so no need to apologize.

Oh good! I didn't want to come across as a dick! Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum