OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone satisfied with one figure?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:13 pm

helianthus

I have only one 1:6 scale figure, and to be honest, I'm completely satisfied with that.  

He's a custom figure of a historical figure, with a commissioned headsculpt, a composer who is very important to me. Although I am continually "upgrading" him: i keep finding better quality and more accurate clothing, and expanding accessories for posing. I'm also considering potentially having his face repainted for a more lifelike affect, (and hoping that eventually a more petite body is released).

But I feel no desire to acquire another figure.

Does anyone else have this experience? I enjoy the hobby, but I guess I find it more rewarding just to focus on the one figure that I actually wanted. I suppose I just feel odd as many have elaborate and extensive collections, and I do not, and do not really want to, although I love to see the creations and collections of others.

2Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:26 am

Tasuke

Tasuke
While i certainly do have more than one Anime Character doll... there is nonetheless but one little lady among them that stands quite above and apart...
as my "Wife" even... insofar as she represents an Anime-styled symbolization of my personal perfect vision
of the Woman i would ideally have as my one and only Best Friend and Soulmate for Eternity;

(Not to Worry; i'm not entirely off of the Cliff here... just merely a Passionate Artist, and Hopeless Romantic... in the extreme)

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Konomi_4-9-23_RESIZE_45

3Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:40 am

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
helianthus wrote:I have only one 1:6 scale figure, and to be honest, I'm completely satisfied with that.  

He's a custom figure of a historical figure, with a commissioned headsculpt, a composer who is very important to me. Although I am continually "upgrading" him: i keep finding better quality and more accurate clothing, and expanding accessories for posing. I'm also considering potentially having his face repainted for a more lifelike affect, (and hoping that eventually a more petite body is released).

Does anyone else have this experience? I enjoy the hobby, but I guess I find it more rewarding just to focus on the one figure that I actually wanted. I suppose I just feel odd as many have elaborate and extensive collections, and I do not, and do not really want to, although I love to see the creations and collections of others.
For several years I've had the same feeling as you. I only had Lexi and usually took her with me on holidays for photography. Only when her body started to wear down I got some more figures. Neither of which I like as much, inspite of the metal skeletons being a significant improvement to the plastic skeleton of her.

4Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:24 am

davidd

davidd
I find that three figures is an optimum number for me, as I like to have the figures "interacting" in photo-stories or when on display.

I have no excuse for the other twenty-seven.  Embarassed

5Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:39 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I mean, good for anyone who is happy with just one (I'm sure it saves a hell of a lot of money lol), but for me that would negate the entire reason I got into 1/6 scale in the first place -- which was to allow me to create and/or collect companions for my Hot Toys Anakin figure, specifically so he wouldn't be alone. ;p I'm first and foremost a fandom person, and my favourite thing is fictional relationships so I always have to have at least two or more from any given piece of media. I'd never be happy with just one figure because I'm into fictional characters specifically because I am drawn to their interpersonal relationshps, and want to depict that via my action figures.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

6Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
To answer the question:

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Kristen-wiig-no-way-wow-kays2mhz2ziikd2d

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Anyone satisfied with one figure? 1f10

7Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:14 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
If you're satisfied with just one, what are you doing here? Sorry, that came out mean-spirited, which was not its intention. Actually, more power to you. I, on the other hand, like so many others here, am a sixth-scale figure addict. Smile I feel that, like humans, figures need (or can benefit from) company, someone to interact (or pose) with, etc.

8Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:32 pm

helianthus

GubernatorFan wrote:If you're satisfied with just one, what are you doing here? Sorry, that came out mean-spirited, which was not its intention. Actually, more power to you. I, on the other hand, like so many others here, am a sixth-scale figure addict. Smile I feel that, like humans, figures need (or can benefit from) company, someone to interact (or pose) with, etc.

I really enjoy to continue "upgrading" him, as well as posing. I also like to see what others create, but it does not mean that i want those additional figured.

I don't watch TV or any franchised media, and that makes up the majority of produced figures. If a line were to be released of something I cared about, then it might be another story, but it being as it is - I am very content with my custom made Gustav Mahler.

As to why I am here - I joined looking for advice when I set out to commission him (thank you all by the way). I guess I just stayed to see what others are interested in and are creating, as well as look at tutorials for sewing and kitbashing, which I have implemented when making clothes or props. I hope that is a good enough reason. Embarassed

9Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:45 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
helianthus wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:If you're satisfied with just one, what are you doing here? Sorry, that came out mean-spirited, which was not its intention. Actually, more power to you. I, on the other hand, like so many others here, am a sixth-scale figure addict. Smile I feel that, like humans, figures need (or can benefit from) company, someone to interact (or pose) with, etc.

I really enjoy to continue "upgrading" him, as well as posing. I also like to see what others create, but it does not mean that i want those additional figured.

I don't watch TV or any franchised media, and that makes up the majority of produced figures. If a line were to be released of something I cared about, then it might be another story, but it being as it is - I am very content with my custom made Gustav Mahler.

As to why I am here - I joined looking for advice when I set out to commission him (thank you all by the way). I guess I just stayed to see what others are interested in and are creating, as well as look at tutorials for sewing and kitbashing, which I have implemented when making clothes or props. I hope that is a good enough reason. Embarassed
It was playful ribbing, not a serious question -- you don't need to justify yourself or to want to add more figures to your collection. By the way, Mahler showed up in some context (that I have already forgotten) in a film or series I saw recently, and not long after you were showing him off. I thought it was serendipitous.

10Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:05 pm

Tasuke

Tasuke

My Princess♥ does indeed have her Friends~

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Konomi_Multi_Mikuru_-_Lingerie_10-7-23

11Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:53 pm

ukshaun

ukshaun
helianthus wrote:I have only one 1:6 scale figure, and to be honest, I'm completely satisfied with that.  

For a number of years i owned just one 1/6 figure, a classic white Stormtrooper by Medicom.
I was blown away by the figure. I felt no need to own a 2nd 1/6 figure.

Then i discovered Hot Toys, all thanks to the Harley Quinn figure (with baseball bat) from The Suicide Squad.
At first i backed off, as the price seemed crazy for a 1/6th figure. Then something happened, i had to own 'that' figure.
Once i received Harley Quinn, i was so impressed by what i was looking at, i had no choice but to pick up another Hot Toys figure.
Down the 1/6th rabbit hole i fell.

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Star-w10

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Hot-to15
LOADING: Image(s)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

12Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:09 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Funny, I also started with a single 12-inch Stormtrooper figure (but mine was by Hasbro), which I didn't do much or anything with. But my addiction kicked in with Sideshow's stormtroopers and Hot Toys T800. Michael Crawford's excellent reviews bear a lot of the blame, although I still prefer to think of it as credit. Smile

13Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:21 pm

ukshaun

ukshaun
GubernatorFan wrote:Funny, I also started with a single 12-inch Stormtrooper figure (but mine was by Hasbro), which I didn't do much or anything with. But my addiction kicked in with Sideshow's stormtroopers and Hot Toys T800. Michael Crawford's excellent reviews bear a lot of the blame, although I still prefer to think of it as credit. Smile

I should make an effort to pick up a Hot Toys Stormtrooper as i hear they are rather good.

14Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:24 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Funny, I also started with a single 12-inch Stormtrooper figure (but mine was by Hasbro), which I didn't do much or anything with. But my addiction kicked in with Sideshow's stormtroopers and Hot Toys T800. Michael Crawford's excellent reviews bear a lot of the blame, although I still prefer to think of it as credit. Smile

I should make an effort to pick up a Hot Toys Stormtrooper as i hear they are rather good.
If you do, go for the Rogue One or Return of the Jedi ones. The New Hope ones (and their derivatives) have a mistaken proportion of the "nose" and "mouth" elements in the helmet. You can find various reviews and posts by others and myself on this on the forum.
For example:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2194-star-wars-original-trilogy-stormtroopers-comparison

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2118-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-stormtrooper-by-hot-toys-review-updated-with-part-ii-deluxe

And another one I did as a guest reviewer for Michael Crawford, here:
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-022017b.htm

15Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:29 pm

ukshaun

ukshaun
GubernatorFan wrote:
ukshaun wrote:

If you do, go for the Rogue One or Return of the Jedi ones. The New Hope ones (and their derivatives) have a mistaken proportion of the "nose" and "mouth" elements in the helmet. You can find various reviews and posts by others and myself on this on the forum.
For example:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2194-star-wars-original-trilogy-stormtroopers-comparison

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2118-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-stormtrooper-by-hot-toys-review-updated-with-part-ii-deluxe

And another one I did as a guest reviewer for Michael Crawford, here:
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-022017b.htm

Thanks for the info. (..and links)

16Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:44 pm

Tasuke

Tasuke
Technically, my very first 1/6 Action Figure/Doll was the 1991 HASBRO G.I. JOE HALL OF FAME "DUKE" back around 1992/'93;

Anyone satisfied with one figure? GI_JOE_Hall_of_Fame_Duke_A1

Anyone satisfied with one figure? GI_JOE_Hall_of_Fame_Duke_A2

Anyone satisfied with one figure? GI_JOE_Hall_of_Fame_Duke_3

My first ever Female Doll, - and the girl whom single-handedly propelled me into Anime Character Doll Collection/Customization -
was the 2001 TOYNAMI "Tenchi Muyo!" Princess Ayeka Masaki Jurai back in 2002-ish;

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Tenchi%20Muyo%20Princess%20Ayeka%2012in.%201

Anyone satisfied with one figure? TOYNAMI%20Tenchi%20Muyo%20Ayeka%2012in.%201-18-18%201

Anyone satisfied with one figure? 37881_original_zps6dc32ff7

17Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:04 am

Diana

Diana
I got into this hobby because I wanted a drawing reference. I started with Hot Toys Black Widow (Winter Soldier), but was very disappointed in her lack of ability to hold certain dynamic poses. So I picked up TBL's Painkiller Jane. But her legs are weirdly proportioned, so I was very susceptible to every single new body type they released after. And they needed clothes. And heads... and since I don't enjoy dressing them, ripping a lot of clothes due to lack of patience, I ended up picking up a lot of figures that were already wearing clothes I might want to draw in character concept stuff. And so the flood gates opened...

I don't have one holy grail type figure. I very much enjoy the hunt so there will always be more, and I'll sell previous figures in order to switch up my collection.

18Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:19 am

Tasuke

Tasuke
though i have indeed made many complete Doll outfits from scratch through the years... my true skill lies in reworking existing clothing.

For Example, i just recently turned This;

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Konomi_-_Nightie_10-19-23_2

into This;

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Konomi_-_Nightie_10-19-23_1

19Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:55 am

davidd

davidd
That is an amazing costume transformation, Tasuke! I would not have recognized the source material! Your version is infinitely nicer!

20Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:59 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Terrific figures Shaun!

21Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:16 pm

Tasuke

Tasuke
davidd wrote:That is an amazing costume transformation, Tasuke! I would not have recognized the source material! Your version is infinitely nicer!

Thanks!! this was my second time at this; my first was when i had inherited the same doll/outfit,
- when my little sister was dumping her Doll collection about 15/20 years back -
and i had eventually messed it up beyond saving with my rather crude skills at the time.

My Konomi there REALLY needed a good Nightie... and i remembered about that old late-90's Sabrina the Teenage Witch Doll,
and how the Inner-Slip would surely serve as the perfect basis for the Nightie Konomi needed... and Voila!!!

22Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:20 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
I am satisfied and normally dont need two of the same figure.

Smile

23Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:28 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:I am satisfied and normally dont need two of the same figure.

Smile
Me too... unless they are army builders! Smile

24Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:43 pm

Visisonor

Visisonor
helianthus wrote:Anyone satisfied with one figure?
Wait, so I could have just one figure and stop at that?
Why haven't anyone told me this a few years ago?!

Just kidding, I knew what I was getting into...

I can see such focus on one ultimate figure, one specific character, as a working approach. There is no right or wrong way to collect things after all. But for me personally it's not viable - as others pointed out, even one character can have different looks, and then one figure would eventually require some interaction with others - which is particularly true for writing stories - and then it goes downhill without restraint and regrets...

25Anyone satisfied with one figure? Empty Re: Anyone satisfied with one figure? Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:27 am

Tasuke

Tasuke
Hold On a Moment; kind of a personal Milestone here;

Kind of completing a twenty-year circle here... starting out in Anime Character Dolls, - back in the early-2000's -

with a more "Realistically" - proportioned Anime Lady... and Today, not quite closing-out 2023, With Yet Another;

- THEN -

Anyone satisfied with one figure? 01_A1_-_Ayeka_-_2003

- NOW -

Anyone satisfied with one figure? Shaorin_-_WORLDBOX_AT201_10-21-23_2[/i]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum