OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 am

PureEnergy

That’s remarkable.  

Truly, wonderful craftsmanship.

52Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:31 am

dadrab

Shut the front door...

That's outstanding work, man.

53Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:57 am

shazzdan

I could have just made a mock-up but I wasn't going to be happy till I had some bellows that actually worked. The furnace is the last piece of the puzzle. I think I've worked out a neat way to make textured stone blocks using nothing but paper.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

54Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
That bellows is excellent. It’s going to be cool to see the entire thing together.

55Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:16 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Beautiful work man!! Love all the detail and scratch building! I'd crush the charcoal up so it's in little chips for the forge when you build that, can't wait to see it!

56Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:15 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Ugh, every piece is looking so rad!  I love evrything you've been doing here, and the bellows are epic.  

shazzdan wrote:I could have just made a mock-up but I wasn't going to be happy till I had some bellows that actually worked. The furnace is the last piece of the puzzle. I think I've worked out a neat way to make textured stone blocks using nothing but paper.

Have you considered carving the stone blocks out of insulation foam sheets?  I use it for bricks, and it seems to be the diorama maker's go-to for bricks and stone.

Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Diorama-stone-wall-tutorial-1

http://reverendspooky.com

57Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:32 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Yeah, tried that. The texture isn't what I want.

58Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:47 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:Yeah, tried that. The texture isn't what I want.

High grit sandpaper works but is a bugger to paint, worth looking into a doll house catalogue or shop to get some of the correctly coloured stuff I remember them selling a long time ago. Or you could try rough sanding the foam pictured above? Will be interesting to see your paper method though.

59Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:18 am

PureEnergy

Have you given any further thought as to what period you’ll be modeling?  

Crucibles?  

How to replicate metallurgical transmutation in process?  

You’ve certainly begun an ambitious project.  Nevertheless, by the look of those bellows, I’m confident that this will be nothing short of spectacular…  

How about black polyethylene for charcoal?  Clumps of dried, textured paint?  

I suppose that your decisions for such will be dependent in practicality upon the base of the structure and your particular vision of the finished product…  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Seriously, make a decision, would you?  

Will you?  

In the name of all that is holy would you please pick a period?

Wink

60Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:23 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
PureEnergy wrote:Have you given any further thought as to what period you’ll be modeling?  

Crucibles?  

You’ve certainly begun an ambitious project.  Nevertheless, by the look of those bellows, I’m confident that this will be nothing short of spectacular…  

I suppose that your decisions for such will be dependent in practicality upon the base of the structure and your particular vision of the finished product…  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Will you?  

Wink

It doesn't matter as modern Smiths often choose to do work in ancient, classic and medieval ways using all the tools and no electricity! Wink

61Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:44 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Blacksmiths don't use crucibles. Industrial smelters and blast furnaces use crucibles. Gold and bronze smiths use crucibles. I can't really see much difference between a 19th century blacksmith and a 14th century blacksmith. Tools are similar. Bellows are similar. The furnace is similar except that one uses charcoal and the other uses coal. The anvils are little different. The dowsing trough would be made of metal instead of wood. There would be a few more mechanised gadgets such as a grinding stone with a foot pedal instead of being hand-cranked.

62Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:Blacksmiths don't use crucibles. Industrial smelters and blast furnaces use crucibles. Gold and bronze smiths use crucibles. I can't really see much difference between a 19th century blacksmith and a 14th century blacksmith. Tools are similar. Bellows are similar. The furnace is similar except that one uses charcoal and the other uses coal. The anvils are little different. The dowsing trough would be made of metal instead of wood. There would be a few more mechanised gadgets such as a grinding stone with a foot pedal instead of being hand-cranked.

I think it was just PE's way of friendly teasing, not trying to wind you up or piss you off Wink

63Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:24 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
shovelchop81 wrote:
shazzdan wrote:Yeah, tried that. The texture isn't what I want.

High grit sandpaper works but is a bugger to paint, worth looking into a doll house catalogue or shop to get some of the correctly coloured stuff I remember them selling a long time ago. Or you could try rough sanding the foam pictured above? Will be interesting to see your paper method though.

I keep meaning to try sandpaper on the foam, to see if I can get a good texture. Right now, i usually scrape the edge of my knife over the whole thing to rough it up a bit, and it works well for brick (stone might be a different story though). But I look forward to seeing what you do with paper! I'm always up to learn a new trick.

http://reverendspooky.com

64Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 am

Mr. Razz

Mr. Razz
PureEnergy wrote:Have you given any further thought as to what period you’ll be modeling?  

Crucibles?  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Will you?  

Wink

shovelchop81 wrote:

Crucibles?  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Will you?  

Wink

Why should he have to? It's his build, he can do it any way he wants...(can't wait for your "intelligent" answer to this...)

It doesn't matter as modern Smiths often choose to do work in ancient, classic and medieval ways using all the tools and no electricity! Wink  

Exactly! Everything we do now is based off of what was done in the past...each generation adds their own take on a given skill...that's called "progress"...If you look at any good craftsman,no matter his/her field, they know about how things were done in the past and added to it...

shazzdan wrote:Blacksmiths don't use crucibles. Industrial smelters and blast furnaces use crucibles. Gold and bronze smiths use crucibles. I can't really see much difference between a 19th century blacksmith and a 14th century blacksmith. Tools are similar. Bellows are similar. The furnace is similar except that one uses charcoal and the other uses coal. The anvils are little different. The dowsing trough would be made of metal instead of wood. There would be a few more mechanised gadgets such as a grinding stone with a foot pedal instead of being hand-cranked.

Seems to me that Shazzdan KNOWS what he's talking about...

shovelchop81 wrote:

I think it was just PE's way of friendly teasing, not trying to wind you up or piss you off Wink

No, he was trying to make himself come off as "superior"....But, honestly? Anyone can Google search anything and answer on a forum and appear knowledgeable..

65Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:33 am

PureEnergy

Mr. Razz wrote:

Crucibles?  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Will you?  

Wink

shovelchop81 wrote:

Crucibles?  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Will you?  

Wink

Why should he have to? It's his build, he can do it any way he wants...(can't wait for your "intelligent" answer to this...)

Exactly! Everything we do now is based off of what was done in the past...each generation adds their own take on a given skill...that's called "progress"...If you look at any good craftsman,no matter his/her field, they know about how things were done in the past and added to it...

shovelchop81 wrote:

No, he was trying to make himself come off as "superior"....But, honestly? Anyone can Google search anything and answer on a forum and appear knowledgeable..

Actually, Chop had it correct.  

If taken in context, I suspect that my intentions being only sincere appreciation and lighthearted humor ought to be obvious to Shazz and to anyone else here.  

You know, there are likely articles about internet etiquette that you might perhaps consider reading, sir.  

Your comments are rather inappropriate...

study

66Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 am

Mr. Razz

Mr. Razz
PureEnergy wrote:
Mr. Razz wrote:

Crucibles?  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Will you?  

Wink

shovelchop81 wrote:

Crucibles?  

So…

Will you pick a period?  

Eh?  

Will you?  

Shazz!?  

Will you?  

Wink

shovelchop81 wrote:

Actually, Chop had it correct.  

If taken in context, I suspect that my intentions being only sincere appreciation and lighthearted humor ought to be obvious to Shazz and to anyone else here.  

You know, there are likely articles about internet etiquette that you might perhaps consider reading, sir.  

Your comments are rather inappropriate...

study

Nah, I'd rather push bounderies...

67Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Mr. Razz wrote:Nah, I'd rather push bounderies...

Guys, play nice. Perhaps you mean things tongue-in-cheek, but nuance is lost in cyberspace, and unless you all de-escalate, you will end up in a shouting match. Pushing boundaries, while part of the Socratic method, is likely to make things worse, especially with insufficient context, and result in drama. I like to keep my drama on the TV screen.

68Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:22 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Progress pics of the furnance. I've made it in two pieces to make storage easier.

Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 SHTCnUI

Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 NSLDAS3

69Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 am

Delanie

Delanie
With regard to the brick work I built a fireplace last year using foam board with the top layer of card removed exposing the foam.

I then scribed the bricks into the foam applied a wash to represent the mortar then, and this is the tedious bit, painted each brick to give the effects of mismatched bricks.

the paint i used was acrylic artist paint but i mixed it with a couple of artist products to give it more texture one was a type of super thick pva paste which gives a raised uneven effect the other was a similar product but gives a matt / sandy texture

70Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Nice work Shazz! Won't the bellows pump handle extention burn?

71Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
shovelchop81 wrote:Nice work Shazz! Won't the bellows pump handle extention burn?

The handle is not in a fixed position; like the originals, it can be swung around to the left or right.

72Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:Nice work Shazz! Won't the bellows pump handle extention burn?

The handle is not in a fixed position; like the originals, it can be swung around to the left or right.

Interesting, I'll have to research that. I've only noticed crank handles or pulley systems for larger forges. I've seen the lever versions before but never really noticed their orientation to be honest!LOL

73Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:58 am

PureEnergy

Put whatever you want into it, Shazz.  If you’re truly not restricting it to any particular era, then it’s rather open to imagination, right?  

If it’s not going to be an historical replica, then you’re entirely free to wing it any way.  

That’s typically my own preference for themes, as well; while I appreciate quality depictions for their accuracy, I feel much more inclined toward the purely imaginative - simply for the sake of creative freedom...  

No matter, this continues to come along quite nicely.

74Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:53 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
I thought that previous posts show that I'm pretty pedantic about historical accuracy. Every piece I've made has been modelled on actual artefacts. I honestly can't see any substantial differences between a 19th century blacksmith and a medieval one. I can have both by simply swapping out the primary anvil and making a few cosmetic changes.

75Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:09 am

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:I thought that previous posts show that I'm pretty pedantic about historical accuracy. Every piece I've made has been modelled on actual artefacts. I honestly can't see any substantial differences between a 19th century blacksmith and a medieval one. I can have both by simply swapping out the primary anvil and making a few cosmetic changes.

Yup, sounds and looks right to me, not sure what PE's on about in this particular instance. Back to crucibles though, they were used by blacksmiths for casting lower temperature metals like bronze, brass, lead, copper, tin etc.. for casting decorative parts or even entire blades gong back a few thousand years lol.

76Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:16 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Blacksmiths never worked with anything except iron. Redsmiths worked with copper alloys. Whitesmiths worked with lead and tin alloys. Silversmiths worked with silver. Goldsmiths worked with gold. They all had their own separate guilds and there were rigid demarcation restrictions with breaches being punished with heavy fines or expulsion. Blacksmiths were often forbidden from making weapons, too. There was a separate guild for that, which usually required a special licence from the Crown.

77Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:50 pm

PureEnergy

shazzdan wrote:I thought that previous posts show that I'm pretty pedantic about historical accuracy...

Well, yes, of course; we’ve even discussed your persnicketies about such directly, remember?  My take-away had been that, for you, there is a distinction between the historical and the fantastical which ought to be forthright, readily observable, and discernible, in earnest - and that that’s where you had said sprang your most particular pedantic discretion and frustration.  

This, though, being without a set period, seems to be skirting that line; are you reluctant to call it a fantasy project, per se?  Because I had really begun to hope that your lack of a specific would allow you the liberty to go a bit buck wild (your “Mad Scientist Gadgetry" certainly evidences your ability to pull off that kind of creativity with a sweetness).

Regardless of your decision, I’m sure that the result will be excellent - but you have to see the potential that this has as a fantasy piece...  

I’m not trying to put you on the spot here, nor am I telling you what you should or shouldn’t do - as such is absolutely your decision; but these key details which you’ve stated here seem to be of considerable substance to you; and yet, without a distinctly specified milieu - why not simply run amok with it?  

Again, it’s bound to be "fantastic" no matter what you do...  

Wink

78Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:39 pm

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
shazzdan wrote:Blacksmiths never worked with anything except iron. Redsmiths worked with copper alloys. Whitesmiths worked with lead and tin alloys. Silversmiths worked with silver. Goldsmiths worked with gold. They all had their own separate guilds and there were rigid demarcation restrictions with breaches being punished with heavy fines or expulsion. Blacksmiths were often forbidden from making weapons, too. There was a separate guild for that, which usually required a special licence from the Crown.

Obviously I didn't know that so thank you for the education, any idea when that came into effect? I'm thinking about Northern Europe only.

79Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop - Page 3 Empty Re: Scratchbuild - Blacksmith's workshop Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:45 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
PureEnergy wrote:
shazzdan wrote:I thought that previous posts show that I'm pretty pedantic about historical accuracy...

Well, yes, of course; we’ve even discussed your persnicketies about such directly, remember?  My take-away had been that, for you, there is a distinction between the historical and the fantastical which ought to be forthright, readily observable, and discernible, in earnest - and that that’s where you had said sprang your most particular pedantic discretion and frustration.  

This, though, being without a set period, seems to be skirting that line; are you reluctant to call it a fantasy project, per se?  Because I had really begun to hope that your lack of a specific would allow you the liberty to go a bit buck wild (your “Mad Scientist Gadgetry" certainly evidences your ability to pull off that kind of creativity with a sweetness).

Regardless of your decision, I’m sure that the result will be excellent - but you have to see the potential that this has as a fantasy piece...  

I’m not trying to put you on the spot here, nor am I telling you what you should or shouldn’t do - as such is absolutely your decision; but these key details which you’ve stated here seem to be of considerable substance to you; and yet, without a distinctly specified milieu - why not simply run amok with it?  

Again, it’s bound to be "fantastic" no matter what you do...  

Wink

I've studied historical metalworking and archeometallurgy for decades. After deciding upon this project I narrowed my research specifically to historical blacksmithing. After all that I still can't determine any substantial difference between a 14th century blacksmith and a 19th century blacksmith apart from the things I have already mentioned. If you know any different, something that will force me to select a specific time period, then please tell me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum