OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

skywalkersaga

Thank you for sharing your experiments! They certainly show promise. I'm looking forward to seeing Lucius Malfoy/Jason Isaacs as a punk. ;D 

And your update on this post is very timely as I'm trying to gear myself to try this same type of thing on the [soon-to-be] Ventress head. It's already bald, but it has an unfortunate glaring seam on it, so I need to fill that in prior to painting, and I've been vacillating over how best to do it.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Looks like a good start. Good luck with the stubble hair look.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I'm bracing myself for a slew of new characters, and have no doubt you will do something very cool with them. Unless I missed it, I'm not sure why you didn't go with green stuff.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Ovy

skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you for sharing your experiments! They certainly show promise. I'm looking forward to seeing Lucius Malfoy/Jason Isaacs as a punk. ;D 

And your update on this post is very timely as I'm trying to gear myself to try this same type of thing on the [soon-to-be] Ventress head. It's already bald, but it has an unfortunate glaring seam on it, so I need to fill that in prior to painting, and I've been vacillating over how best to do it.
Thanks! Yeah it seems bald female heads are our white whale.
Still haven't found a pleasing way, but it's getting better.

Stryker2011 wrote:Looks like a good start. Good luck with the stubble hair look.
Thanks a lot, see below.

GubernatorFan wrote:I'm bracing myself for a slew of new characters, and have no doubt you will do something very cool with them. Unless I missed it, I'm not sure why you didn't go with green stuff.

Thanks, I also wonder what my customer will do, he creates post apocalyptic tank girl/mad Max/fallout raider like characters with detailed costumes.
I used the clay because it was cheaper and required less Greenstuff and because the surface looks more organic when formed with water. 

For one head I combined Greenstuff hair stubble with lamb hair.

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200210-190012

I liked that look but that was not my job
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200210-190247

So I cut it short. Oi! One more layer of bangs and purple/red/green hair has to be added.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200211-004307

The Harley head with glued on hair on one of my Cargonite bodies for testing. I added guns and a leather jacket for New Wafoy so he looks nicer for the photos and clothed the blonde, who had long hair.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200211-003720

One opportunity to use guns, they died out in my world.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200211-003754

We don't know yet how to cover the border of the neck, cloth or hair.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200211-003825

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200211-003918

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200211-003954

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think they've turned out great so far. And I do like this Harley so much more than the "original"

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I see now what you meant by the stubble. While I’m not really keen on that ‘shaved top with fringe’ hairstyle in 1:1, I’m certainly impressed you managed to pull it off in 1/6! ;D

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Impressive. That Harley is my favorite of the bunch, but Malfoy also looks cool — can hardly recognize him.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 C8485110

Diana

Diana
This is great stuff!! Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing. Smile
And what a wonderful use of that GC017 head sculpt. Laughing

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's pretty cool, I really like how they turned out. Also draco looks like that one guy that thinks his music taste is superior. 😂

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Also draco looks like that one guy that thinks his music taste is superior. 😂

You just described most of the self-absorbed @$$-hats in the music industry — most of whom are also wrong. Very Happy

blackpool

blackpool
That's very cool and original, well done!!!

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:I think they've turned out great so far. And I do like this Harley so much more than the "original"
Thanks a lot! Yes, about the design of the Hollywood Harley, I think their designs are a bit 'tame/clean/polished crazy'. Don't know how to describe it. Designed by someone who is not crazy enough, maybe. Her and jokers face tattoos are a bit uninspired. Like they checked boxes, but it doesn't look organic. Imagine Joker going to his Tattoo artist: hey I want tons of edgy 'HaHa's on my chest.
I got a different Harley head for myself, as there are few smiling female sculpts. Will change the hair of course and get rid of the tattoo.

skywalkersaga wrote:I see now what you meant by the stubble. While I’m not really keen on that ‘shaved top with fringe’ hairstyle in 1:1, I’m certainly impressed you managed to pull it off in 1/6! ;D
Thank you, still don't know how the other three will turn out.

Stryker2011 wrote:Impressive. That Harley is my favorite of the bunch, but Malfoy also looks cool — can hardly recognize him.
Thanks a lot, I think he was a great choice by my 'client'.

AerynDiana wrote:This is great stuff!! Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing. Smile
And what a wonderful use of that GC017 head sculpt. Laughing
Thanks! I had to google the GC017 - the one with the open mouth and the cigarette. I want to turn her into some kind of leaned back, badass-mom, vodka loving witch/priestess for my cargo people, that's the plan at least.

Stryker2011 wrote:
Theboo-bomb wrote:Also draco looks like that one guy that thinks his music taste is superior. 😂

You just described most of the self-absorbed @$$-hats in the music industry — most of whom are also wrong. Very Happy
Hah, I think 'edgy' is the word. But I think it's Brit Wave inspired.

blackpool wrote:That's very cool and original, well done!!!
Merci.

Just some updates.
Tank Girl Tattoo on two bodies. It's acrylics on plastic body, any good ideas how to seal it?
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200320-231741

We call her Coo, as she is a Coomodel. She had long blonde hair.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200320-232039

Also tattooed.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200320-232134

Not so puffy with gel. We call him Falloutboy.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200320-232232

And this one purplepinked, we call her Skinny.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200321-213219

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Holy crap, that is such a perfect choice of headsculpt for Tankgirl!!! Coming out perfect too. All of the shaved heads are looking great, and they really do blend well with the rest of the head. Loving it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What a cool update! I love those hair colours -- I'm especially partial to purple. Wink

And regarding how to seal acrylics.... as an alternative to a spray sealant, I have been trying out some liquitex matte varnish thinned with airbrush medium, as it's somewhat thick otherwise. I use a makeup sponge, like the one you'd use to smudge the oil pastels on the silicone bodies, and then cut it down to size, and use the smooth surface to dip into the thinned varnish. Then dab it onto the area you want to seal [or on the entire area, for uniform finish]. Just lightly dab it, rather than smear it on.

Of course, probably best to test this on an extra figure or an area that won't show, just in case.

Diana

Diana
Great update!! What a difference the gel makes... Smile
And I now love that cute head on the coo body! Much less doll like! Makes me reconsider a few sculpts out there. I normally stay away from those pretty faces, but this hair obviously gives her a lot more depth. Smile

Ovy

Ovy
ReverendSpooky wrote:Holy crap, that is such a perfect choice of headsculpt for Tankgirl!!!  Coming out perfect too.  All of the shaved heads are looking great, and they really do blend well with the rest of the head.  Loving it.
Yep I too think they are great choices, still have to find out which headsculpt the one with purple hair is. And thanks!

skywalkersaga wrote:What a cool update! I love those hair colours -- I'm especially partial to purple. Wink

And regarding how to seal acrylics.... as an alternative to a spray sealant, I have been trying out some liquitex matte varnish thinned with airbrush medium, as it's somewhat thick otherwise. I use a makeup sponge, like the one you'd use to smudge the oil pastels on the silicone bodies, and then cut it down to size, and use the smooth surface to dip into the thinned varnish. Then dab it onto the area you want to seal [or on the entire area, for uniform finish]. Just lightly dab it, rather than smear it on.

Of course, probably best to test this on an extra figure or an area that won't show, just in case.
Thanks, I will try, sounds like a good technique if you want to avoid spray or airbrush! Very Happy

AerynDiana wrote:Great update!! What a difference the gel makes... Smile
And I now love that cute head on the coo body! Much less doll like! Makes me reconsider a few sculpts out there. I normally stay away from those pretty faces, but this hair obviously gives her a lot more depth. Smile
Haha, yeah I thought she looked rather artificial and too nice, now we decided for some panda eyes and football stripes. Also colored Harley's hair.

Any ideas how to make short stubble hair? I don't have a static grass machine thingy.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200321-215833

Red lipstick was commissioned, I tried to overdo it a bit for a slightly more crazy look, maybe I'll have to change the eyebrows too.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200322-000447

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 IMG-20200322-001717-2

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool updates. For stubble, try Googling “flocking” — that’s what they called it on the original 12” GI Joe’s — maybe there are some techniques out there on how to do that.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice updates to these heads. The look is fresh and striking, the execution masterful. Looking forward to the next step.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
They look cool, as for stubble maybe try to do some stippling?

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 1f60e

Diana

Diana
I’ve been wondering about stubble. I’m thinking flocking would lead to mixed results since some hair would be flat on the scalp, no? It’s better for filling in gaps on an otherwise hairy head...

I was thinking: take a bundle of hair, the amount that fits flat between two fingers, cut it straight, then apply Very little glue to the ends. Let dry. Prepare as many of these bundles as you need (or maybe just half as many because you could reuse them). Once dry glue them on the scalp standing up and once fixed, cut them short. (This is where you could reuse the stands for another round.)

Disclaimer: I know nothing. These are just musings.

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Cool updates. For stubble, try Googling “flocking” — that’s what they called it on the original 12” GI Joe’s — maybe there are some techniques out there on how to do that.
Thanks a lot. Yes I did some research, thanks for the tip. While I didn't use the static grass model train equipment Delanie recommend, I just used my magic fleece and cut tiny ~1mm pieces of the hair strands that were already shortened for other hair rooting, then glued the little flakes on.

GubernatorFan wrote:Nice updates to these heads. The look is fresh and striking, the execution masterful. Looking forward to the next step.
Thanks a lot, and nice choice of words, really appreciated.

Theboo-bomb wrote:They look cool, as for stubble maybe try to do some stippling?
You mean paint it on, like they do on bald figures? Thought about it, but my head textures didn't look that realistic.

AerynDiana wrote:I’ve been wondering about stubble. I’m thinking flocking would lead to mixed results since some hair would be flat on the scalp, no? It’s better for filling in gaps on an otherwise hairy head...

I was thinking: take a bundle of hair, the amount that fits flat between two fingers, cut it straight, then apply Very little glue to the ends. Let dry. Prepare as many of these bundles as you need (or maybe just half as many because you could reuse them). Once dry glue them on the scalp standing up and once fixed, cut them short. (This is where you could reuse the stands for another round.)

Disclaimer: I know nothing. These are just musings.
Thanks a lot for the idea! And yes, flocking is not perfect, but it's good enough for my customer
Anyway,  tried your idea on my experimental head, but it would take a very long time and patience.  But will remember that.

So here are the uncleaned, unpainted and unrefined flocking results:

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200404-141822

New Wave Jason Isaacs.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200404-180007

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200404-180141

The friendly blonde Coo Barbie.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200404-180226

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looking pretty good. Obviously once they are cleaned up they will look much better. I think Jason’s head turned out the best — mainly because his hair was already dark. One thing that would have helped with the blonde sculpts would have been to use a light brown “flocking” to give the impression of skin color coming through.

Ovy

Ovy
Stryker2011 wrote:Looking pretty good. Obviously once they are cleaned up they will look much better. I think Jason’s head turned out the best — mainly because his hair was already dark. One thing that would have helped with the blonde sculpts would have been to use a light brown “flocking” to give the impression of skin color coming through.
Huh, some time has passed. But you were absolutely right. The Jason head was good, tweaked it a little, but for the other one I tried new methods. Covering the bald head with glue and attaching a small piece of fur, with the right hair growing direction, then cutting off the leather. 

Had to repaint Harley's head (cheap paintjob chipped off) added blonde fur.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200610-161344

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200610-161449

Newcius Wavefoy
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200610-161626

Added white fur to the back of the head and painted it green. She has gone a long way from standard  blonde longe haired Barbie looking type once, haha.. Had to drill holes in the ears, wires are placeholders.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200610-161750

Selfie with Yurg.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200610-161904

For 'phase 2' of Punk-Nena, I added tiny single strands of hair to blend with the sculpted hair, then used black paint for more blending.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200610-175935

Also got another shipment for customizing, I had to do a bit of weathering/hair colouring etc. This pic shows them after they arrived with 'Vanilla' hair.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 IMG-20200530-181113-2

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those turned out really, really well, Ovy. I'm especially impressed with how you ended up doing that darker shaved hair with the purpley-pink fringe... I may not be overly fond of that kind of hairstyle in RL but you made it look pretty awesome here. The contrasting colour really sells it. Not to mention the skill and patience to get it look like that.  Excellent work!  Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
While my tastes may run a little (or a lot) more conventional, this is truly impressive and inspiring work on your part. It really brings new life into the head sculpts and characters. The finished or advanced versions do look like an improvement on the earlier stages, which were themselves already quite something.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nicely done on the hair, Ovy. Your solution for the stubble seems to have worked. cheers

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:Those turned out really, really well, Ovy. I'm especially impressed with how you ended up doing that darker shaved hair with the purpley-pink fringe... I may not be overly fond of that kind of hairstyle in RL but you made it look pretty awesome here. The contrasting colour really sells it. Not to mention the skill and patience to get it look like that.  Excellent work!  Smile
Thanks you so much! Took me some brain wrangling, but it made me realize how much these tiny strands can achieve if you want to make everything more detailed after the main work is done. Definitely learned something from it.

GubernatorFan wrote:While my tastes may run a little (or a lot) more conventional, this is truly impressive and inspiring work on your part. It really brings new life into the head sculpts and characters. The finished or advanced versions do look like an improvement on the earlier stages, which were themselves already quite something.
Thanks! Yeah, unconventional is nothing one can buy factory produced I guess. I don't even know what that headsculpt is, anyone recognise it? Looks a bit Agnes Deryn like or how she is called.

Stryker2011 wrote:Nicely done on the hair, Ovy. Your solution for the stubble seems to have worked. cheers
Thanks a lot! We should use that smiley more often, it emits positive waves.

So now the new batch, but a last Harley pic first.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200529-171226

This one was adult Ciri. The colors work great on white hair.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200530-191438

Had the job to make this piece colorful/paint splashed. Made a RAF roundel out of one of the buttons, another into a smiley flower, was well received, had to design all the other buttons too later.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200530-201531

Here I put fur on the back of the head and colored the hair, tried to blend blonde and blue a bit. This time I colored the fur before attaching. It's s bit messy, better paint it afterwards.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200531-164205

For this Milla of Arc I should make something 'like the whistling rainbow lady', I used oil pastels on synthetic hair and some wax 
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200531-214132

[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200531-214159

Also 'make the clothing road warrior dirty'
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200603-150920

Here with all the buttons.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200603-151203

The Wolverine kid got blue hair. It was brown, so I used darker blue marker, then lighter blue pastels.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200609-150946

Before coloring, I gave her some leather clothing and let her pose with our forest boy. I would have gotten her already, but the figure is rather pricey.
[6/14/20]Bald/shaved female heads - Tank girl army - Page 2 PSX-20200610-161214

I also made a huge groups hot in the end with Yurg, but I have to sort the pics out a bit.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very impressive dye jobs. The paint-covered overalls are my favorites. And -- oh no! -- I think I saw an exposed wrist joint! The horror! Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent hair jobs. The Milla of Arc is probably my favorite. Nice multi-color job on them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum