OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Those bubbles don't look much more distracting than a few real skin imperfections. But I suppose it is a cautionary tale.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

skywalkersaga

Sorry for your struggles with achieving a darker colour via this method, but I salute you for taking one for the team so to speak. I look forward to seeing more of your ventures into oil pastels. Smile

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Hmm, that’s a bit disheartening, but thanks for the extra insight into what to look for as far as dye retention.

Seventhbrother

This is a GREAT thread. I have experimented with this process but using a worldbox fat body. It worked out very well and I am looking forward to do a few of these TBleague bodies. Titan's suggestion to add red dye to the brown is great advice to further fine tune the color.
I dipped the torso and upper arms only. The sculpt was painted by another artist and I matched the body to the sculpt.

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 20200510

Seventhbrother

After the body dried, I used a light mist of matte acrylic spray (Mr. SuperClear) to seal. I don't think it was necessary but I applied the matte spray to be safe.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, that looks amazing! You did an incredible job matching the colour. I know how hard it can be to match body colours to pre-painted head sculpts, but it turned out perfectly.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Seventhbrother

Thank you so much skywalker saga! I figured it would be easier to match the body after the sculpt is painted. I achieved a darker color by repeated dipping and checking against the head sculpt to compare.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Seventhbrother wrote:Thank you so much skywalker saga! I figured it would be easier to match the body after the sculpt is painted. I achieved a darker color by repeated dipping and checking against the head sculpt to compare.

Sounds like you already have a good grasp on the process!

It's funny because I've always had trouble matching bodies to heads and tend to prefer to do it the other way around. But that could be because I'm primarily using the oil pastel colouring method, which doesn't always allow for as much nuance in colour tweaking, since one is limited to whatever oil pastel colours are available, and blending colours with that technique is difficult.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Great job, Seventhbrother!

Seventhbrother

GubernatorFan wrote:Great job, Seventhbrother!

Thank you!

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
This is brilliant! this might be the solution to my quest of finding Lexi a new body. Lexi is on of the original Phicen figures with plastic skeleton in tan color.

Seventhbrother

I followed your outline Titan but I used 1/3 bottle of Chocolate with one capful of Racing Red. The body came out GREAT

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 20210110

Titan wrote:Thank you, GooBoo. I followed your instructions to the letter with a few modifications: To get a more realistic skin tone I mixed two Rit Synthetic dyes together.

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 CvTFTT

I fully submerged the body for 20-30 minutes dipping the body every ten minutes:

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 5pP7Ko

First batch, I do not remember the Pale TBLeague body designation:
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 XCjTKA

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 UM0x0P

Second batch was on a TBLeague Keir body which has a blueish tint to it and bloody calves and forearms (covered in the photos):
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 X04yMV

Both together:
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 QgA9Ah

Second batch after I added more red dye:
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 FNrmw7

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 Bhiaxl

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 Gl5idw

This is a game changer for me. My welcome back to the hobby.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That does look good. I bought the necessary materials to do this, but haven’t attempted it yet. Did you keep the water/dye boiling, or did you just keep it at a hot temp?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 C8485110

Seventhbrother

Stryker2011 wrote:That does look good. I bought the necessary materials to do this, but haven’t attempted it yet. Did you keep the water/dye boiling, or did you just keep it at a hot temp?

I heated the water (about a gallon and a half) to 170°F and turned off the flame. The process only takes 5-10 mins or so. If doing multiple bodies, you may need to reheat the water to temp and continue working. Agitate the body in the bath by submerging for long seconds then check color and continue to dip until you get your desired shade.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Excellent work, Seventhbrother!

Seventhbrother

GubernatorFan wrote:Excellent work, Seventhbrother!

Thank you so much GubernatorFan!

Wraith64

Wraith64
Late to the party but, brilliant work! I think these look great. I'm wondering how the fade settled out in the end. Have noticed it continuing to fade or have you reached dye equilibrium? Either way, thank you for sharing this!

Seventhbrother

Wraith64 wrote:Late to the party but, brilliant work! I think these look great. I'm wondering how the fade settled out in the end. Have noticed it continuing to fade or have you reached dye equilibrium? Either way, thank you for sharing this!

Thanks all around! Yes I actually but did notice some slight fading of the color after a few days. It's been about three weeks now since the last attempt and there have been no further changes. I know that I can likely darken it a little more and it should adjust to the desired tone with the slight fading over those initial couple of days.

Seventhbrother

Here is my final build of my custom Luke Cage. I dyed the body to match the head sculpt and there was so e fading but not enough to deviate from the skin tone. Very happy with the way this turned out+Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 20210210
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 20210212
Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 20210211

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think he turned out very well.

Seventhbrother

GubernatorFan wrote:I think he turned out very well.

Thank you so much! It came together fairly quickly once my vision was complete. The head sculpt is by Waruna Weligamage. It was painted by Figuremasters and I did some touch ups on the head band and flocked the hair and beard for more realism. The styling and concept is a mashup of the Netflix show and comic book versions of Luke Cage.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Wow, he is absolutely fantastic!!! 👏👏👏

Seventhbrother

skywalkersaga wrote:Wow, he is absolutely fantastic!!! 👏👏👏

Thank you so much!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s an awesome Luke Cage. I’m not seeing much of a difference between the head and body.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 C8485110

105Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 Empty Re: Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:55 am

Seventhbrother

Stryker2011 wrote:That’s an awesome Luke Cage. I’m not seeing much of a difference between the head and body.

Thank you! I appreciate all

Diana

Diana
He looks AWESOME! It's so easy to imagine him being in a comic book looking exactly like that. Just with black outlines. Very Happy

Seventhbrother

Diana wrote:He looks AWESOME! It's so easy to imagine him being in a comic book looking exactly like that. Just with black outlines. Very Happy

That's an amazing compliment. Thank you!

108Dyeing Phicen figures with Rit Dye (NSFW) - Page 4 Empty Dyeing Phicen bodies Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:39 pm

Blakfigures

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! been trying to find info on this for years.  Greatly appreciated. The technique and finished product looks great.

Phicen clothes

Phicen clothes
Very interesting experiments you are doing!!! Some of the colors were very beautiful. You are a risky person! )))) I read somewhere that if you put a doll in a colored dress, the paint goes from the dress to the doll. And if the dress is removed, the paint disappears from the doll's body, the next day. These are the properties of silicone. It's self-cleaning.

https://www.instagram.com/phicen_exotic_clothes/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum